Joker Phillips on Last Night’s Defeat

Last night’s game in Fayetteville, Arkansas was certainly one that will be remembered for quite some time, and not for positive reason’s either.  The crushing 49-7 defeat that was called off in the third quarter due to inclement weather may just have been the final nail in Joker’s proverbial head coaching coffin.  During his post game press conference the mood, as you can imagine, was depressing and disappointing.  Here are some comments from Joker on the substantial loss to a struggling Arkansas squad.

When asked about the most disappointing part of the 49-7 outcome.

“Just the whole outcome is what you’re disappointed in. We felt good coming into this game. We knew we would have to play our best. Huge challenge playing against a top quarterback like this. He is really, really good and he’s got some really talented receivers.”

Joker went on to discuss whether or not a loss like this was negative for players.

“I don’t know if there can ever be a negative effect. Those guys came here to play and they’re getting thrust into it at an early age. I don’t think anything negative can come out of it. We’ve just got to continue to get them reps, continue to get them confidence.”

Talking about the team’s offensive performance.

“Offensively what you have to do is you have to possess the ball a lot longer. We had a lot of three-and-outs.”

Discussing on what he wants the young team to gain from this experience going forward.

“We’ve got to continue doing things right. All the little things we talk about doing right. A lot of times the rewards of doing things right don’t come until later, and they can’t forget that. They cannot forget to continue to do things the right way, which is working hard, going to class, doing all the things off the field that we must do, that we talk about, and just understand the rewards will come. They might not come right away, but they’ll come somewhere.”

Article written by Jonathan Schuette

76 Comments for Joker Phillips on Last Night’s Defeat

1. balooey
    2:33 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

could we land gene chzick?

2. balooey
    2:34 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

chizik

3. Aja
    2:36 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

He clearly has lost touch with reality. Buy this clown and his helpers bus tickets if they won’t leave on their own.

4. FrigFullofBeer
    3:05 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

I am over Kentucky football for this year…. Its hard to watch and not enjoyable at all last two years,Joker has to go!!!! PERIOD

5. Yab
    3:06 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

What is the problem with KSR? We have one of the top 10 coaches in all of college football living in Kentucky right now, and he’s unemployed. This site should be the tip of the spear in demanding his hiring.

6. UKJB
    3:09 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

He has no plan for what to do. He doesn’t say anything of substance. “What needs to change to be successful?” “Well, we just have to be better. Do more good things and do less bad things.” He is not a leader and he inspires zero confidence from his players or his fans. A leader doesn’t have to always be right, but he has to make you believe that he is right and you’re going to do it that way, you’re gonna enjoy it, and damn it, if you give anything less than your best, you are dead to me and can get the **** out of here.

7. Ares
    3:13 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

Chizik could not win at Iowa St. and is struggling at Auburn. NO THANKS!!!

8. Walter Sobchak
    3:13 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

5) ok…and who might that be?

9. art vandalay
    3:14 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

“Continuing” to do things right would imply that they have done something right already.

I disagree with that statement 100%.

While it really doesnt matter for Joker one way or the other, they should try to do something right and then make an effort to repeat that behavior.

10. Steady
    3:16 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

Offensively we’re offensive!

11. davetv
    3:20 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

It must be tough for Joker to get up and have these discussions knowing that he is gone at the end of the year. Kudos to him.

12. UKGrad
    3:21 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

10, did you think of that one all on your own?

13. Life long fan
    3:21 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

I’ve lost all interest in UK Football. Didn’t know the score of the loss last night until I read it this morning. Would never of dreamed not listening to game in the past but this is where UK football is today. I was there during the up the middle, up the middle, up the middle, punt days of Curry. Heck, seems exciting compared to today’s product. I am not alone in my feelings about football. Wake up before it is too late Mitch. I will not go to another game until our administration shows interest in the program.Was asked to attend the upcoming GA game by a friend from GA. Told him that I’d love to go to Keeneland but not the football game. Amazed by those words but it is the state of affairs called UK Football.

14. UKGrad
    3:23 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

No one in the KSR peanut gallery has yet to suggest a viable and realistic replacement option. Side note: Viable is not Petrino, Chizik,and Tressel. Also I’ve seen one or two people on this site sincerely suggest that UK go after Brett Farve. Those people should have their computers taken away from them.

15. twnky
    3:26 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

Joker is garbage, but so is UK football. It’s basketball season now so who cares?

16. 20 Dollar Bill Y'all
    3:26 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

Andrew Jackson from WKU said it best, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX0_KCpfDIQ&feature=relmfu

17. d/c cat
    3:28 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

Can we have a Joker Hate Day before he skips town like Tubby?

18. The Monkey Man
    3:29 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

17, I suppose you’re the kind of person who also wants to burn a cross in his yard too…

19. Computer Blue
    3:31 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

Joker makes me yearn for the Bill Curry days.

20. westerncat
    3:35 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

I’m just going to say this one more time. We will not win another game this year!

21. Jb cruse
    3:36 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

Firsrt, our incompetent caretaker AD should be FIRED, and the new AD should get to hire the new head FB coach…won’t happen because the new prez doesn’t have a clue

22. me
    3:37 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

#18 – Shut up, ya azz hat. Just because joker and tubby are black, and sucked – doesn’t mean our dislike of them has ANYTHING to do with their color. Are you liberal or a uofl fan, or both?

23. Defense
    3:39 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

Rob Ryan

24. UKGrad
    3:40 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

21- All sports, minus football have been on the rise since Mitch came. That would be like firing a teacher because one kid in their class is failing. UK Football has always been like this and will continue to be like this; minus a few outlying seasons.

President Capiluto has much more important things to be concerned with besides the football team. Faculty hasn’t had a raise in a long time, facilities need an upgraded desperately. You have to remember that their is a major land-grant university attached to the athletic program.

25. UKGrad
    3:43 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

22. What’s the point in having a “Joker Hate Day”? I thought we as a fan base were above such vitriol. I am a UK grad and I bleed blue, but I am a human being first. People wonder why the rest of the nation thinks our fan base is crazy. It’s because we treat people as disposable sub-humans.

26. BBN
    3:43 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

Hey joker, do the manly thing and step down.

You have as much heart as your pathetic team showed last night, NONE.

Go home and see if Franklin Simpson will hire your azz as WRs coach.

27. Chuck
    3:48 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

#20 may be right. Samford is ranked in the top 25 of their division. Joker should have no excuses for the problem of this team being their youth. Where did all the seniors and juniors disappear to? He was the recruiting coordinator before he was HC. A new coach will have a lot to work with but may also have to go to the JUCO ranks for some immediate help. I hate to think what may happen on Sat. against Georgia!!!

28. Head Bussa
    3:48 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

17 — I’m not happy with the job he’s done, but I don’t hate the man in any way whatsoever. He does need to go, but there’s no reason to hate the man. As bad as it is for us, I don’t think a lot of you realize how bad he feels right now. As a coach myself (at a much lower level), I know he’s probably extremely depressed and very embarassed at how poor his team has performed during his tenure. Coaching is a tough job because it’s very easy to be hard on yourself based on wins and losses. He probably knows more than anyone that he should be fired at the end of the season.

29. WildKatFan01
    3:49 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

Until the University gets serious about the Football program, I’m going to just sit back and not care one iota for UK Football. I’m a huge UK supporter but I’m not going to allow myself to get caught up in this joke of a program of UK Football. It’s a downright shame that the University powers that be allow this to continue and not do anything about it. I feel sorry for the kids who commit to the day on day out beatings they take on the field by such a clueless coaching staff. They dont deserve this and neither do the fans who put their hard earned money towards this atrocity they have assembled on the sidelines. I just dont see the point with a lot of fans who are highly upset to allow themselves to get that way when it’s absolutely clear that the administration doesn’t value our opinion about this horrid situation. I LOVE my Wildcats, but I will not support the football program until UK gets someone in place to not put up with horribly unprepared, outcoached, underfunded product they consistantly put on the field week in and week out. I can care less who Joker is or how long he’s been tied to UK. He took over football when it had momentum from the Brooks era and had a chance to do something special. Now the program is more or less worse than it was during Curry’s tenure.

30. ladies panties
    3:51 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

25-

You have to be a fan of another school. So, you don’t mind being the laughing stock of the SEC and nation? Mitch and joker aree the cause of it. They will not remove themselves from the situation – so fans are getting vocal. Don’t recall you complain’n about “uofl hate day” – after all, they are people too, right?

31. dave
    3:53 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

at least sonny dykes & latech put up 50 in a loss to a wayyyyyy better texas a&m team. one would think he could come in & immediately be an upgrade

32. Head Bussa
    3:53 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

26 — That wouldn’t be the “manly” thing for Joker. The “manly” thing would be to keep trying until you are given the pink slip. You are given a job and you need to keep doing it until told otherwise. On the other hand, the “manly” thing would be for Barnhart to step up and tell Joker that he needs to hit the road. Barnhart is probably friends with Joker but he needs to do what’s best for UK even if it hurts Joker deeply.

33. UKGrad
    3:54 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

30- I usually refrain from posting on this site. I love to listen to the radio show, but Matt has built KSR on attracting the bottom 15% of the fan base. Things like UofL hate day are purely organized to rile up the masses. I’m a member of an Alumni club in a large out of state metropolitan area and you would be amazed at how much the other part of the fan base looks down on that 10%. That 10% makes it harder for the rest of us to be a respectable fan.

34. UKGrad
    3:56 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

32- It doesn’t matter what he does. If Joker left today, people on here would find a way to turn it against him. The man is in a no win situation. You can still be a fan, recognize that he isn’t the man for the job, yet still support the man while he still is the coach.

35. KCK
    3:58 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

33, quit being so elitist. The fact that we realize a turd when we see one doesn’t make us the 10%.

36. WildKatFan01
    3:59 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

25 – we fans are not crazy. We dont really expect to be “great” at football year in and year out. But when you have the WKU’s, the Duke’s, the Louisiana Tech’s and even the Louisville’s passing you up in regards to putting competitve teams on the field year in and year out, we fans of this great University have the absolute right to be negative towards the regime that has put UK football on this position and voice that a change needs to be made and should have been done sooner rather than later. This situation has probably set the football program back 5 to 10 years. It’s truly sad that the administration has allowed and continue to allow this to take place at UK of all places.

37. Head Bussa
    4:00 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

25 — I disagree. Every fan base has the element of fans who have no class.

38. UKGrad
    4:01 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

35. Again recognizing that he isn’t a good coach is completely different from “Joker Hate Day” and the rest of the uncalled for insults that get thrown his way. So what if he is a “turd” he is our “turd” for the rest of the season; so best be a true fan and support him and the team.

39. actually?
    4:01 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

Joker will milk that UK check to the bitter end cause he’ll never cash those bad boys again. Think he’s ready for ESPN as a broadcaster? Really? Count that huhs and you knows. Did he graduate from UK in P.E. studies?

40. UKGrad
    4:02 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

36- Again, having a legitimate problem with the direction of the program is completely different from the rabid hate that is directed towards Joker.

41. Baaaaaaad
    4:04 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

I love uk basketball
    That being said

Uk football is an f’ing joke and always will be

Uk will not get a current big name. They’ll get a recycled coach that will be here 4-5 yrs may get a 7-8 win season then decline and the whole shi) fest will start anew

Do what I do. Root against them and laugh at them! It feels better than for them and pissed off!

Steps to a good program :
    1- good coach n staff
    2- recruiting yr in and out good players
    3- fans
    4- facilities which comes AFTER the winning saying before is a LOSERS excuse!!!!!!

And uk football = loser

42. frank
    4:05 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

What an embarressment to UK fans!The Joker is a JOKE on us! He couldn’t coach in a Pee WEE League!

43. Turdfuguson
    4:13 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

I think we need to give home 2-3 more yrs to completely and utterly turn this program around……..were there is no return…..

44. Lipset
    4:14 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

Please stop and think about how much a 1.7 MILLION dollar salary is and what should be expected in return for such.

45. UKGrad
    4:24 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

44- When you look at all other SEC HC Salaries, Joker ranks towards the bottom. If Nick Saban makes the most and constantly wins the SEC, then by that logic low salary should equate to low success.

46. Seasonticketholder1982
    4:24 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

We are so f$&!ed with Barnhart in control

47. Rerun Raymond
    4:49 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

#24- I believe there are nine other athletic programs in the SEC that have major Land-Grant Universities attached. All of them are doing better in football than UK.

48. Embarrassed uk fan
    4:52 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

This is the absolute , positively biggest joke of a football team we’ve ever had. Joker is a Piece of garbage and whoever the hell thought he would be a good coach for this university needs to shot. Just listening to joker in his post game comment and all these videos of the practice reports (which if you guys at KSR are smart , would quit posting them) makes me want to seriously start rooting for another team. And as far as going to one of the games; I wouldn’t go if uk arranged for me to be picked up in a hummer stretch limo, all the lobster, steak, shrimp I could eat, all the beer, bourbon I could drink, and full fledge nude lap dance from Ashley Judd. These guys suck and we need to clean house. I don’t want a single coach from jokers crew to be left. Throw em all on the streets. Joker is a disgrace to the university, city of lex, and this great state. Plz someone get rid of this wannabe football coach

49. Joe
    4:56 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

@45, if Joker would have won some games and justified a higher salary, then okay. But he hasn’t. Paying him more money is NOT going to make him coach better.

50. FakeRealDrPhilStihl
    4:57 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

Does he truly think nothing negative can come from this if so Joker is dumber than I thought. When they vet the new coach please screen for intelligence. A lot of dumb guye play football let’s not let that influence our decision ..or at least have so much weight. Can I get an Amen!?

51. SevenT
    5:08 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

#48…That is a great post!! Not sure how old you are but I assure you it has been worse. I was a student at Kentucky during the Bill Curry years!! Sheesh that was a HORRIBLE run.

52. Curry years
    5:14 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

Joker is making my run look good. UkGrad, are you saying we are getting what we are paying for in HC? I don’t think we are getting anything from our coaching staff that is positive regardless of salary.

53. rick
    5:17 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

Unbelievable! Some of you folks must have memories that go back 5 years. You really think this is the worst UK has been in football? Or that Joker was handed the keys to a fully loaded lexus? Or that any good coach wortha hoot would want to come here? I’m sure we are going to fork over another 3 or 4 million just so some of you will continue to support the program. Guess what, this football program has had loosing records since the late 50’s. Whats that, you don’t remember? Well guess what, we suck at football. just accept it and move on. Fire everybody connected with the program, won’t msake any difference. Been down this road many times.

54. joker
    5:30 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

see, told you fans that the coach doesn’t make any difference. Just look at BCG and Cal. That should prove my point.

55. Lip set
    5:30 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

53) according to that reasoning we should hire a great high school coach at around 70k/yr salary, put the saved salary into something that wins (basketball), and just accept a losing team that tries hard in football?

56. putinrichie
    5:56 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

25 – I agree. If you look at the message boards, everyday seems like Joker Hate Day. Putting one together would be even more embarassing to UK and our fans that actually went to college than anything our football program has done all season.

57. putinrichie
    6:00 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

36 – I agree with a lot of what you said, but what is the benefit of firing him now vs. the end of the season? I want a new coach next year, but its not like we would hire his replacement mid-season. Plus, if you give him the full season than you could tell the next UK coach that we gave Joker a full 3 years.

58. ky fan
    6:12 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

#57 recruiting, the health of the remaining team, begin the search for a new coach and possibly get a commitment prior to other positions opening up and maybe get the team back for the rest of the year.
    I agree with you that we don’t want nor need a Joker hate day. He just can’t get the job done. Let’s move on to someone else that hopefully can. No hate here, just disappointment in what he and the administration have allowed to happen to our program.

59. Come back Big Blue
    6:14 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

It’s pretty bad when you have to make a point about our state’s ability to have a decent football program and you have to make a comparision to UofL to get it done. The have a decent coach and he has UofL football on a (6-0) roll (garenteed bowl) that may take them to a BSC game. They have beat us two years in a row and that after UK beating UofL 4 years in a row. Does that tell you something? Phillips and Strong both came in at the same time and this year: UofL (6-0) / UK (1-6).

Football is a very significant part of the sports package at UK. Come on we are in the SEC! The money we make off Football is huge. We can afford a decent coach. It’s a great investment. Take a look at the acidemic scholarships that are paid for with excess revenus from sports.

Will UK Grad stop saying he graduated from UK… He didn’t learn a thing if he did.

60. football program
    6:19 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

You mean it is important for UK to make money in Athelics #59?

61. football program
    6:20 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

Athletics

62. Big Blue
    6:21 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

Best part of this game for UK — It got called early, very early!

63. playersfan
    6:28 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

What about WKU’s coach. At least he is involved in the game, and active. We can’t afford a big name, then why not try a young guy with ambition, instead of another washed out guy from somewhere else?

64. lightning
    6:32 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

UK fans can thank me now and pray for more next weekend.

65. search committee
    6:43 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

Taggert will be in the search. Strong ties to the Harbaugh family coaching tree doesn’t hurt plus the play of his team this year and beat UK with less talent IMO

66. J A Brooks
    6:45 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

63) Because he hasn’t won a super bowl… don’t you listen to the other fans? Only Saban, Cowher, or Parcells will be good enough. All the fans admit joker is awful but at the same time act like only 5 coaches in the world would be vast improvements.

We can’t just get someone “Much better than Joker” or else the fans will revolt.

I love Taggart and think he’s a much much much better coach than Joker, has done more with less, and shows the fire and passion you need to build a program.

Only problem is he might not take the job… he loves WKU and there’s no expectations. Plus our personnel doesn’t really match what he likes to do but he’s still a major improvement over the Joke.

I’ll take any coach that can recruit, understands defense, runs an offense that isn’t as vanilla as the garbage we’ve been forced to watch, and most of all has the team looking prepared each week. Joker’s worst trait is that the team always looks lost and confused and seems like they haven’t practiced a drill in 10 years.

67. Beavis
    6:51 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

Those people on this site that don’t think we should aim high in our efforts to find the next coach,,,,well you must like the direction of the football program. The danger here is another one man coaching search by the AD. Put a committee together,,,make a list of people to talk to and go after the best. Been watching this mess for far to long. Some people have suggested that the football program is the only program at UK that has suffered under the current AD. Short memory.

68. LA
    7:53 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

with the really bad players UK has i dont think it matters who the coach is. there are two kinds of coaches in the SEC,coaches who can recruit good players and ex-coaches.

69. Beavis
    8:34 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

Is there a doubt in your mind that a better coach would do much better with this group of players ? There is some nice talent there,,,they do not look like they are well coached at all. In fact,,,at times they do not looked coached at all. This experiment with the “coach in waiting” needs to end now. This guy is certainly no Jimbo Fisher.

70. Jimi
    9:55 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

Would like to see us get Chris Petersen from Boise St

71. calfan2
    11:32 pm October 14, 2012 Permalink

I feel bad for the players. They have to endure the rest of the season with this haze over the program and coach. It’s tough to go out and work hard everyday in practice, knowing what must have to happen to turn things around. Hang in there guys! ..Mitch, get to work.

72. BK in Scottsville
    4:42 am October 15, 2012 Permalink

There is NO doubt in my mind after this debacle that this coaching staff has ZERO clue. They had an extended delay to settle their ther players and get them ready. Yet even after that extended play, no adjustments. The offense was one-sided and the defense just absolutely sucked….Oh my did they ever suck!!!!! Seriously, can we get a coaching staff that knows how to game plan, this is comical

73. BK in Scottsville
    4:48 am October 15, 2012 Permalink

Please… go ahead and fire Joker. As much as I had hoped that he would be successfull, he is killing the football program. Let him go NOW

74. Big Whoop
    6:46 am October 15, 2012 Permalink

71 & 72) I agree. This kids deserve better even if they are short on talent.

As for UK, maybe when the faculty brings in some money instead of whining, then they should get a raise. If they are all that great, why haven’t they left for better pay? As for UK Grad, there are many of us who don’t feel the need to broadcast the fact.

Joker is a product of the Bill Curry coaching tree. What did anyone expect? I’m just surprised that he didn’t bring back the Black Watch. RISE!

75. Big Whoop
    6:58 am October 15, 2012 Permalink

Meant to type “these kids” not “this kids.”

FYI BBK has published the complete list of the UK Board of Trustees with e-mail addresses. I did the same a year ago over at Wildcat Nation. Click on the member’s name for the e-mail address. It is time for them to feel your pain.

76. Dolfan66r
    1:07 pm October 15, 2012 Permalink

The reason they are so young and inexperienced is because he cant recruit. How many skill players does he have on offense? Playmakers? None! They are in this because of Joker’s inability to attract top talent to Lexington combined with his approach to the offense. We all saw the future in his last year as OC under Brooks. Tenatative play calling. Misuse of Cobb etc. I saw this coming 5 years ago.