Joker Phillips’ Monday Press Conference Video

The Joker Phillips era at Kentucky is coming to an end. The final gun vs. Tennessee will mark the end of a 23-year stint for Phillips as a player, graduate assistant, assistant coach and head coach. For the second week in a row, Phillips did not wear UK gear to this press conference, which he has done all year. He was asked about it and said, “I’m starting to trying to separate myself (from the program),” something that is completely understandable. Phillips continued by saying that he’ll always be a Wildcat despite the tough circumstances. In the video, Phillips speaks on facing Tennessee, his future as a football coach and his Thanksgiving plans. Have a look.

Article written by Rashawn Franklin

28 Comments for Joker Phillips’ Monday Press Conference Video

1. new coach!
    9:36 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Joker has always been a great guy. Sorry it didnt work out. Very tough first head coaching job. Best wishes.
    Need to look ath this new up and comer. Dave Doeron can unite BBN!

2. coach search
    9:39 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Joker, if you want to separate yourself from UK, I would gladly take all your UK swag.
    Just sayin.

3. SeoulCat
    9:40 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

PPat: 13 pts at the end of the 1st quarter against the Utah Big Eneses.

4. paycheck
    9:53 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Has he separated himself from the paycheck for the last two weeks, if not he should support the brand. “Always a Wildcat” ? Doesn’t ring true if he can’t wear the coat of the team paying for his meals.

5. Duuuuuude
    9:55 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Damn, wish he had worked out.

6. Ridge Runner
    10:12 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I really don’t care what Joker has to say. It’s like channel surfing and pausing for a moment on the “soap channel” while ya pick your nose & then resume surfing.

7. jaxcats8503
    10:12 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Who gives a shit what he wears to talk to media blowhards.

8. A-town cat fan
    10:19 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

so if the buyout check says “UK” on it, he won’t cash it right?

9. Wantedjokergone
    10:29 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I absolutely hate this for Joker. Ive been pissed and had a right to be about our program, but I’m kinda hurting for him and for our State. I won’t say he deserved another year, but DAMN I wish he would have earned one. We’ll all probably look back later and say he should have gotten one. C’Est la vie. I sure hope he goes on to great things. He gave a damn like us, no matter the wins and losses

10. Taj
    10:48 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Joker didn’t have a hard time separating from UK when he left for greener pastures from 1997-2003. He went for the money and experience and when it didn’t work out, he came back. He hasn’t been at UK since he played. He did leave for a few years.

11. Funky Monkey
    10:51 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Joker showing he a little bitter,.. won’t wear his UK gear,.. gotta be hard emotionally,… but if were me,… I’d close it out strong UK all the way. He may end up burning some bridges afterall that will keep him from coming back in another capacity.

12. Ukalum
    10:52 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

I would be more concerned about the future of uk football than jokers future. He will be fine, and will likely get a good job as a HC or coordinator at a mid major program. If uk can’t get kirby smart or a nfl guy, Barnhart should get gary Anderson since he took a mostly dead utah state program and will get double digit wins(barring a major upset by Idaho). Plus he was the defensive coordinator of the undefeated utah team that beat Alabama in the 2009 sugar bowl.

13. :(
    10:54 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

These videos suck to watch. Almost makes me want him back for 1 more year. I know the performance was awful this year but I honestly don’t know if he shouldn’t get one more year to see what he could do. Oh well.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:04 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

It’s a shame we couldn’t combine Joker’s character and loyalty with Petrino’s coaching ability.

15. Ridge Runner
    11:26 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

14) Yup, if only we could have bionics.
    😉

16. Catfanjb
    12:16 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Seriously the people on here critizing Joker for not wearing UK is silly. Look he’s gone now we can move forward. Let’s put this into perspective. What would you do if you were given the opportunity to do something you really really wanted to do. Let’s say that you pour a ton of passion in to it and it fails miserably. Would you want to wear something that everytime you looked down or in a mirror its just a painful reminder that it didn’t work?!? I firmly believe Joker is 100% sincire in his loyalty to the program. Just because you are not successful at something it doesn’t make you a disloyal person to what you tried to do. At some point he may get another shot at another school and he will be forced to put his faith Ian’s loyalty into that program and wear that schools colors. But right now is not the time, he’s human and he desevers the right to take his time and just focus on himself with some privacy and with some respect. He doesn’t need to be kicked when he’s down.

17. hoopster
    4:22 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Be
    Better speed up the search for Joker’s replacement, cause the Vols are in the market for a new coach now! They will be looking. at the same coaches we are. They have a better football history than UK and if a coach had to choose between the two programs the Vols may get the benefit of the doubt. Better hurry. Go Blue!

18. Drthunder
    7:26 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Mike was my housemate in college. Classy move with game ball and trip to see him. He would have done the same for you.

Thanks, Joker. Wins are one thing, but you’ll be remembered here as a great man.

19. scott
    7:38 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Right on #10…!!!!!

20. We want to win
    7:58 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Best wishes to Joker!

I hope Joker takes his money and starts a UK website. The first day I hope he tells Matt Jones and the KSR staff to blow. The BBN will move on in football after this Saturday. Many of us loyal UK fans are very aware that Jones is not Caywood or Tom Leach, and never will have that status in the BBN. I hope the new UK head football coach has some backbone when KSR starts their bologna stories about them and the football team.

I hope they offer Matt next year at media day, a UK uniform with shoes, and allow him to carry the ball a couple of plays against our defense, so he can comment how pathetic the team is.

21. UKGrad83
    8:28 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Seriously folks, he had THREE years and he didn’t get it done. It went from bad to worse. 6-7, 5-7, and now 2-9. Overall, 4-19 in SEC games (that’s just 17%). It wasn’t like he took over a bad program. I don’t know the man – he could be a saint – but it’s obvious he’s not ready to be a D1 head coach. One more year won’t change that.

22. What Can Blue Do For You
    8:31 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

He is still getting paid to coach this week. Wear the uniform Joker. That is being disrespectful of the job. I do not feel sorry for you. You got paid D*mn well for failure. You even get paid when your gone. That’s way more than most get when they do not get their jobs done.

23. jaws2
    9:22 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

I just don’t get all the empathy for Joker. The guy had 3 years with ‘his players’ to prove himself and has by all measures been a failure at that. I could not see any golden pot at the end of this rainbow if given another year. He was certainly well compensated for the task, and will be compensated to move along. Nice guy? I don’t know him personally but he wasn’t paid to be a nice guy. He stepped into the arena he asked for and didn’t measure up. That’s fine. Happens to folks all the time in other private ventures, and most don’t walk away with their pockets full of cash.
    I also don’t get the kicking him while he’s down. He has been a devoted man to the UK program and doesn’t deserve to be trashed. I just hope he has the intestinal fortitude to stay above the fray and not make a statement he may come to regret later in life.

24. SoFlCat
    9:43 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Anyone that isnt a little misty eyed that Joker didnt work out is just jagged. He has been a class act and I think he is going to get scooped up as a position coach as soon as he is ready for it. Wish Joker the best and thank him for all his dedication to the program. No one who pays attention could ever claim the guy wasnt dedicated and trying to build a quality program on and off the field. It just didnt work out, and the move had to be made. Just bittersweet.

25. thansktaking
    9:59 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

#23 The empathy (or is it sympathy?) is because Joker is a KY native, a former player, alum and gave his heart and soul to UK football. Yes, he did fail as UK head coach. I laugh at that because some folks act as if he’s the first to do that. Take a look at the records of UK FB coaches the last 50 years! You tell me.. is the losing the fault of the coaches or the inherent problems in the program? You are right, he busted his butt but it didn’t work.

Why shouldn’t he walk away with cash? Doesn’t every coach out there that gets canned? So? Its in the contract. LOL, I kinda feel like if I was UK coach and put in a few years at the doormat of the SEC I would deserve hundreds of millions of $$ for having to suffer thru this crappy situation!

26. L.aw
    10:58 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

If you never been to a UK football practice,offseason workouts,or watched Joker on the sidelines during a game,with his hands in his pockets and blank stare,how do you surmise ,he worked hard or extremely hard?By the results, it was alt of wasted time on his part,because if you attended the BBVA bowl like I did,there is no way that as disorganized as that disaster was ,you would think if thats the result of hard work,it makes one wonder!7.5 million dollars is pretty good fee for finding out what your level of incompetence is,nic deal if you can get it!By the way the fans paid for this crap so they have a right to complain!for UK the Ponzi scheme,that is self serving ,is over!

27. #26
    11:15 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

#26 I have been to closed FB practice during his tenure. One thing that impressed after attending past UK FB practices under other coaches, especially this pre-season when they were implementing the uptempo offense, was the speed/tempo and # of reps they ran. Also know for a fact that Joker spent 16 hour days on UK FB…recruiting in the offseason too. I can’t disagree that it was a waste of time. But that is the crux of the matter. LOL, what UK coach in the last 60 years hasn’t overall wasted his time?? BTW, your grammar teacher wasted her time and didn’t receive a buyout.

28. millwooded
    12:34 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

i’m not a coach phillips fans by no means, but, the man got fired from his job!…i know he is gonna be living “ghetto fabulous” on his buy out or whatever, but he still got fired! no man wants that, no matter how much money he makes. if he’s making a statement for being let go through his wardrobe, then he’s a helluva lot classier that i am! (just ask my last boss. the one with the fire marshal at his home).