Joker Phillips believes the next guy deserves more time

Joker Phillips is continuing to keep it classy when discussing his future and the future of Kentucky football.  After today’s practice, he told reporters that the fans and administration should have more patience with his successor.

“I think the next guy needs to get five to seven years before you even begin to evaluate,” he said of Kentucky’s next football coach.

Joker also believes his replacement will get a pass for the first few years, thanks to him.  If things aren’t turned around immediately, the new coach can blame Joker and his staff for the next three years.

“(UK’s next coach) can say, ‘They’re not my players’,” Joker said. “We couldn’t do that.”

The man continues to hold his head high and take full responsibility as his days in Lexington come to an end.  Say what you will about his coaching, but there’s no denying the class, dignity and support for #BBN he’s show on his way out.

Take a second to read Duncan Cavanaugh’s post on Joker Phillips on the site last night, if you haven’t already. Great stuff on Joker and what he means to Kentucky.

Article written by Drew Franklin

75 Comments for Joker Phillips believes the next guy deserves more time

1. Blackhawk
    12:08 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

—-
    So true.

2. Potus
    12:09 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

Wait…let me get this straight. If I coach UK I will get a free pass for a few years since I can blame the previous administration for all my failures???!!! Cool!

3. sean
    12:10 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

5-7 before you even evaluate? how delusional are you? or are you admitting you messed the program up so bad that its come to that point?

no! you get one graduating class to prove yourself, if not then NEXT

4. UK Terry
    12:14 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

Next coach should absolutely get a pass next year based on schedule and fact that recruiting will be nearly non-existent. But they DO need to show improvement in execution over Joker’s regime and be exciting to attract recruits for the 2014 season. I’m getting old. Running out of time to check seeing the Cats in the SEC Championship game off the bucket list.

5. Durrrr
    12:15 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

The next coach should show improvement. Not absolutely run a decent program into the ground. I have plenty of patience for seven years of improvement.

6. Freethrow
    12:15 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

The same folks trashing Joker are probably the same folks that did the same to Coach Brooks. Look how that turned out.

7. madcat
    12:15 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

I tell you whats gonna happen. Petrino will end up back at uofL in some form or fashion, because plain and simple jurich isnt a morron. Then he will go back to slapping us around the feild agian for years to come. Thanks mitch

8. Donny Berger
    12:17 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

Hell, let’s just keep Joker Phillips, with the so called “home run hire list” isn’t worth wiping you’re a$$ with, Joker can milk out another 5 years and maybe get a bowl game.

9. true story
    12:17 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

I like Joker but I don’t know if I agree with this. As we’ve all seen in the past, the right coach can make things ‘feel’ like they are on the way up, even if the record isn’t stellar. You know how it goes: you win a few games you should have lost, recruiting is going well… Joker and the 40-0 drubbings were not that direction. Sure, there were some folks who don’t understand football, who thought that Joker should have a perfect record this season, but the majority of fans knew: Joker was going backwards and got successively worse season after season. If the next guy follows the same path, you’ll know in 3-4 years because he’ll be Vandy’s doormat.

10. kymover
    12:19 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

It’s Bush’s Fault!

11. SteveM
    12:19 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

Wow! What a concept. Pay a guy $1.7 million a year and not hold him accountable for 5-7 years. I think I’m going to become a coach myself. Another stupid-ass KSR article. This is being “classy”? It’s BS and KSR Joker/Barhnart ass-kissing selves continue to spew this nonsense. What’s wrong KSR? Afraid a real coach/AD might revoke your passes?

12. wakecat
    12:21 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

Joker’s legacy will actually be better a few years from now. I have no faith in Mitch to make a good hire. So when the new “homerun” coach goes 2-10, to 4-8 year after year, folks will look back and say, “Hey, Joker was a good guy and wasn’t that bad of a coach.”

13. Joker Blows
    12:22 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

Butch Davis is the next coach…..mark it down. Already asked for permission to talk to him.

Barnyard has blown a great opportunity to fix this thing called a football program.

14. Blackhawk
    12:23 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

#6 the difference in Joker and Rich is Joker was on the staff that helped build what success Rich had and was given a good program…Rich had to do what the next guy has to do…fix a mess. Even at that Rich never finished higher than 4th in the division but it was higher than Guy and even Hal.

15. Blackhawk
    12:23 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

#13 Butch is even worse than Petrino….he got UNC sanctioned and helped with fake classes.

16. Dear UL and IU fans, We are national champions; you are not. The end.
    12:24 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

I like Joker as a person, but that quote annoys me. The reason he doesn’t get a pass is because he has been here 5-7 years already.

17. madcat
    12:24 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

I absolutely agree keep joker or hire petrino

18. Joker Blows
    12:25 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

Oops…sorry Butch Jones

19. Wildcatsteeler
    12:25 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

How is that comment staying classy? He basically saying you should have given me more time.

20. barn
    12:28 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

that’s what derek dooley said too, joker

21. barn
    12:30 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

16–how about nine (9) years

22. truth
    12:34 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

15) get educated on the situation before you speak about it. We are hiring a football coach. Not a Minister from Southeast Christian.

23. 10, you beat me to the punch!

24. Define "Classy?"
    12:37 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

Exactly, #19. HOW is this staying class? He had his players since he was “the ooach in waiting” (ANOTHER nice call, barnhart). And for everyone barnhart hires we think is great, how can he still have a pass for hiring Billy Clyde? I liked Joker more before this comment, but I too have lost faith in barnhart. Wait, I had to HAVE faith in barnhart before I could lose faith in it. He’s still a tennessee volunteer who wants to go back home.

Looking forward to the “homerun” hire that Sir mitch (the humble, reflective one who sends out pictures in his open letters) will surely bring us.

25. true story
    12:39 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

To all you KSR-Haters: Look, KSR is run by folks who have opinions just like you do. As you may be aware, those opinions differ sometimes. It wasn’t that long ago where you had almost ZERO choices in following the ‘Cats in the media save for various, Anti-UK outlets (CJ, LHL, etc)or folks who wanted money for their crap info (Frosty hair, CatsPause, etc.). Even though I emphatically disagree with their stance on Petrino, I am thankful to have a site where I can go see if Patterson signed, or what Jorts is up to – especially one that is very obviously Pro-UK in 99% of their viewpoints. Yes, I could have just Googled both of those things, but this place makes good UK news a celebration – which is exactly what we all want to do.

Don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone kids. be glad that a site like this exists, and that they are growing in both radio and television. Otherwise you’d be tuned into the Afternoon UofL Show to see what UK is doing.

26. true story
    12:41 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

And yup, Barnhart needed to go back when he let Tubby hang on for way too long. Having a great Rifle Team at the expense of the two programs that actually MAKE money is just… dumb.

27. The Joke's on us...
    12:41 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

I’m going go to tell my boss that he should give me 5-7 years before he can fire me for a consistently poor job performance. I’ll let you know how that goes for me…

28. Joe
    12:41 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

Quit crying Joker! You may have been giving more time too, but they are your players! You recruited them. So if they are not good enough recruits – that is on you. Quit your crying and clean out your office. Geez

29. Cristoforouk
    12:42 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

I really hope Joker doesn’t actually mean that. That is such an unrealistic perspective of collegiate athletics in today’s world. Coaches are evaluated EVERY SINGLE YEAR. They aren’t given free passes. And an assistant who has been on the staff in some form for the past decade sure as hell doesn’t get any free pass. The next coach will most likely not be evaluated on wins and losses next year (call that a free pass if you want), but he will be evaluated by everything else. Come on Joker. You are a good dude but that comment is just dumb.

30. UKBlue1!
    12:48 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

I believe the next coach will be given 5 years. Why? We are slow and look small. It is going to take 2 years for good recruiting just to get us to a Toilet bowl or Music or whatevergame. A good coach is going to come in and clean house. I expect the next coach will sign a lot of Jr College players in this class because we need immediate help. We have a roster full of MAC and Sunbelt players.

31. Assman
    12:50 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

Five to Seven Years!!! Show me one good college program that would give any coach that long to turn things around. I would expect to see a winning season next year, the players are there.
    #7 you’ll never see Petrino back at UL coaching in the Big Least.Jurich may not be a moron, at least when he’s sober. As far as Butch Davis is concerned I don’t know much about him but remember Notre Dame took a coach from Cincinnati. I do expect more from the next hire than Butch Davis. There’s too many choices out there with better credentials.

32. Blackhawk
    12:51 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

@truth – So Butch didn’t get UNC in trouble? Is that not worse than things Bobby did? What should I educate myself on exactly?

33. Thankful
    12:57 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

#25..That!!..And it’s free..

34. dee sanders
    12:59 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

Yea, he appears to be a classy guy to the media.. But he’s not a better man than Petrino off the field. It’s well known that Joker cheated on his wife multiple times and obviously has more stuff to deal with at home than he does on the field.

35. BillDozer
    1:03 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

Apparently Joker thinks Obama will be the next coach.

36. UKGrad83
    1:11 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

It sounds like whining to me, not class. He’s pouting because he only got 3 years. Given where the program was when he took over, there’s no excuse for not going at least .500 but he couldn’t even do that. Each year we kept hearing about how the recruiting classes were getting better. The bottom line is that the product on the field was horrible. Offensively and defensively, this team was not prepared, was poorly coached, and there was little to no enthusiasm about the program. He was getting paid a cool 1.7 million dollars a year. Think about that. Most of us won’t make that in our LIFETIME. Joker had his chance – he should just stop talking and quietly ride off into the sunset.

37. BB
    1:17 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

5-7 years is just not realistic. 3 years is minimum, with a fourth given if it was a bad situation the coach entered into, i.e. probation, horrible recruiting, etc. Look at Strong at UL, Taggert at WKU, Mullen at MSU, Franklin at Vandy….These are all in state programs or benchmark programs for UK, and all have turned these programs around in 2-4 years.

38. Rockfield, KY
    1:17 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

Even if they’re not your players, you can still be a coach and get something out of them. Joker is a personable guy who was way too consumed with his social life and being a playboy to ever be a head coach. That’s why he succeeds recruiting but not developing.

39. tom
    1:17 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

Joker has clearly taken a page out of Obama’s campaign playbook and the statement is as ludicrous as some on the campaign trail.

A coach should not have 7 years to determine his worth. THREE years is PLENTY. Now, perhaps a coach can not get the entire program to where it ought to be in five or six years there MUST be signs of progress…which Joker’s crew DID NOT demonstrate.

For the life of me, I don’t get all this gushing about how classy Joker is acting. He is doing NOTHING that any of us would do if we were fired from an organization. We don’t go around bad mouthing our previous employer while we are out looking for work. Who is going to hire someone like that? He is saying the right things for HIMSELF and his future employer. He’s playing the game.

The truth is, Joker and his staff have done TREMENDOUS damage to the UK football program and it will take some time to build it back up to where it was when it was handed to him all wrapped up in a pretty package with a bow on it.

Count me as one who WILL NOT ‘pack commonwealth’ this weekend to give Joker a wonderful sendoff. I don’t harbor any bad will toward the guy, it’s just the fact that he doesn’t deserve it.

Now, I would go for the seniors but that’s not the topic of this post.

40. Rockfield, KY
    1:18 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

37 FTW

41. RaleighCat
    1:23 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

Sadly this is the first thing I’ve seen from Joker that makes him look like a crybaby. Joker has been heavily involved in the UK program for years- well beyond his 3 years as Head Coach. His crappy-ass play-calling was much derided well before he took over for Brooks. He took a program on the way up and ran it into a ditch. Sit down and shut up, Joker. Please.

42. UKBlue
    1:29 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

This just shows the intelligence of Joker: only a complete idiot could look at what he has done on the field & think they deserve more time. Joker doesn’t know how to coach/manage a team; he is a life time assistant coach, and a half ass assistant coach at that.

43. Linda Taylor
    1:34 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

25 – Sometimes I wish KSR had a like button. Your post would definitely get a like.

44. CUBA
    1:41 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

Yeah, and Communism just needs another decade to prove Fidel is right!!!!!!!!

45. jimp
    1:59 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

People keep blaming Barnhart for naming Joker the coach in waiting however, if you would stop and try and remember, when it was announced it was Rich Brooks, who went to Mitch and suggested it in the first place. He said Joker was ready to be a head coach and Joker was being offered jobs by other universities and he did not want to lose him. Rich knows more football than any of us. This is just something that has not worked out. Tell me none of you have not done things that have not worked out the way you thought they would.

46. WilliamWesley
    2:05 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

One thing about having a homegrown coach, he understands the program has been a consistent loser within the conference, And that no matter who is the coach it is going to take a long time to get this program as a consistent winner. A Bobby P. coach could probaly win maybe 8 games but guess what whithin that first two years he or whomever will bolt. Fact, if Joker could have at least kept 6-7 wins he stay for a long time.

47. DerbyDemon
    2:07 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

I just LOVE this article–already giving an unhired coach a “pass” because Joker f***ed everything up in the first place. I really don’t care what he thinks. He took a decent program, ran it into the ground, and now wants to whine that he needed more time. PUH-LEEZE.

48. STEVE!
    2:10 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

45 – jimp, I’ve read the statement about Joker being offered jobs by other schools, but have never seen names. Could you pass on the names of the other schools that were offering him a head coaching position? Thanks.

Here are a few guys that didn’t seem to need 5-7 years to make a positive impact: James Franklin, Hugh Freeze, Dan Mullen, Charlie Strong, Will Muschamp, Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino, Kevin Sumlin. I’m sure I have missed a few.

49. ikeeveready
    2:11 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

Tom, BillDozer, Gettlefinger, Ky mover

The more accurate analogy would be the next guy is in the same position as Obama. Two wars, economy in a nose dive, and a whole group of people who don’t want to work with you and allow you to succeed.

Joker was in Bush’s position, handed a great situation and turned it into a train wreck. 800,000 jobs a month, look it up, facts suck!

BETTER YET KEEP THE POLITICAL BS OFF OF A SPORTS BLOG.

Joker wasn’t making the case that he should get more time, just that it seems like a reasonable time to give a coach. Most analysts agree, by the way, that it takes at least 4 years because you have to take a class, ideally red shirt most, and then have developed juniors and seniors. Simple ARITHMETIC makes that at least 4 and more realistically 5 years. Joker clearly said he didn’t have that luxury because he’s recruited all these guys.

50. tom
    2:24 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

You want the ‘political bs’ off a sports blog, yet you bring out your political viewpoint. Why is ok for you and not for others? huh?

That aside, the analogy with Joker’s remarks to the president is clear because it is the same argument Obama used during the recent campaign. BTW, your point about Bush is a valid argument that can be made. He certainly made his share of mistakes!

51. RealCatsFan
    2:24 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

I thought I also heard Joker being quoted as saying that coaches are paid a lot more these days, which somewhat explains the shorter honeymoon. It kind of goes along with the old adage: “good, cheap, or fast: pick any two”.

52. RealCatsFan
    2:26 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

#49 pretty much nailed it, but I will go on to say that both sides, left and right, are only in it to milk the system and stay in office as long as possible. The gravy train goes on, and we the fools foot the bill.

53. gfsgfsgksgk
    2:36 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

Please Joker you got 9 years! Sour Grapes!!

54. ikeeveready
    2:41 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

52 – agreed.

Tom – glad to know you are rational, right or left. Just pointing out the flaws in the analogy.

Kirby Smart – pay the man, give him a big budget to hire a young, aggressive OC and get to work. Give him a 5 year deal so you have to re-evaluate him in 4 with a reasonable buyout (bigger salary reduces it).

Could do the same with Mark Helfrich and a DC. Helfrich’s a western guy though. Smart is from our recruiting hotbed in GA, played at UGA, academic all american, coached/recruited at FSU as well. Probably would rather avoid playing Saban every season.

I like Butch Jones as well, but not nearly as much as these two.

55. tom
    2:51 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

54 – and I didn’t express it well at that! lol

and we DO agree on Kirby Smart. Just pay the man and let’s get on with it!

56. DaveTV
    3:04 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

I like Joker … but he had plenty of time to show what he could do. We have steadily gotten worse with Joker. And there shouldn’t have been the need for ä transition period since he was already here. It has been painfully obvious to everyone this year that UK can’t succeed with Joker as our coach. I wish Joker the best, and will always think of him as one of the BBN … but it is time for another coach.

57. mudcreekmark
    3:35 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

Of course what he is really saying is, if we had 5 to 7 years we could get this thing turned around. The fact is, it will take that long now to straighten up his mess. When he was named head coach we were already competitive with the top teams in the country and all we needed was a little boost from him to get us over that hump from being competitive and every now and then winning against the top teams to beating them on a consistent basis. Now the new coach will have to first get us to where Brooks had us which may take 5 years now and then it may take another 5 to get us to competing for championships.

58. bluezzzzz
    3:45 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

Quit interviewing Joker! He has never had any answers for anything, who cares whar he says now?

59. SCCat
    3:50 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

How could a professional getting paid $1.7 million think he gets 5-7 years before he is evaluated? This is a job right? The real world gets evaluated every year – join us.

60. njCat
    4:13 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

#59. It just shows how clueless the guy is, and what a poor job Barnhart and Brooks did in promoting him.

61. kingrex
    4:32 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

To understand politics in this country you need to understand the Federal Reserve System and how it was created. The Federal Reserve is made up of private banks which are owned by a select few people. They create money out of nothing, loan it to governments and charge them interest on this money. A bulk of our taxes go to pay off this interest on money our government has to borrow from the Federal Reserve in order to run the day to day operations of this country. Our US Treasury, as per the Constitution is supposed to print interest free money to run the government, but they do not. Our money comes from the Federal Reserve. There is nothing “Federal” about them. It is the biggest scam in the world. President Kennedy understood this and passed an Executive Order which enacted the Treasury to begin printing money. The US treasury printed millions of dollars and this was going to take power away from the Federal Reserve. Soon after, Kennedy was shot in the face in public. One of the first things LBJ did upon taking office was to reverse that executive order. We were again back under the thumb of the private bankers who own the Federal Reserve System. Realize the President in this country holds no actual power or decision making ability. For that matter, neither does Congress or the Senate. It is all an illusion. We are owned entirely by international bankers who make the wars and control our politicians. This is why nothing ever improves no matter who is in office. An outline is being played out irregardless of who is in office. The best way to ensure continuity of government is to instill a two party system and convince the population that they are free and decisions are truly made inside the White House by one man. I ask you, why do all Presidents and their cabinets leave office as millionaires? There is no reason for this except politicians and their advisers move from public office to board rooms and back again. They pass legislation which is beneficial to companies they have a relationship with and then are rewarded with obscenely lucrative positions upon leaving Washington. Then they are recycled back into public office. They do not have our interests at heart. It is all a lie. There is no need to hate on each other for supporting the “other guy” because it is pointless. The people in power want us hating each other because it keeps us from realizing our true power comes from seeing we are in this together. What has happened since Bush is an absolute continuation of the direction we were already headed. The exact same outline would have been followed if Mccain had won, but they preferred Obama and so he was given the office. Look up the NDAA which was passed on New Year’s Eve this year. It is terrifying. On an interesting note, the other President to try to print his own interest free money to run the government without crawling to central banks was Abraham Lincoln. He was also shot in the face, in public. Coincidence? We are fed the same tired storylines every night in the mainstream media, but they are pointless. The issues they tell us are important have nothing to do with anything, but are simply a distraction from seeing all the lies and false flags.

62. CAUKFAN
    4:41 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

He’s been reading from Obama’s playbook. If it worked for the president, it will work for the next coach.

63. CAUKFAN
    4:53 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

12: Who hired Cal? Sure Mitch screwed up when he hired Billy Clyde but fixed it fast with the man who will eclipse Rupp as the greatest coach in UK history. Mitch hating may have made sense during the Billy Clyde era and before but now it is just stupid.

64. kingrex
    5:04 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

Mitch had nothing to do with hiring Cal.

65. barn
    5:10 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

ever get the feeling that all these posters are the same person? damn, go invade someplace else

66. ikeeveready
    6:05 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

62 – You’re Late.

See posts – 10, 23, 35, 39, 49, 50, 52, 54, 55, and 61.

Unless you already did . . . wait, I see what you did there.

67. Cats in the NBA
    6:35 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

Joker only got the job in the first place BECAUSE he had already been here, and was supposed to continue (or improve) what Brooks started. He lost the job because he did not do that.

As for all of the Obama haters: you lost. Suck it up and stop whining. If not, you will lose again next time and then cry about it then, too.

68. KevDaly
    7:15 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

67…Obama won because all of the racist blacks voted for him. He also got all of the Hispanic votes, and of course, all of the non-working, freeloaders, with their hands out voted for him. Anyway, Joker had no business getting the job in the first place. He had zero head coaching experience, and he can barely put a sentence together.

69. j
    7:21 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

Joker stop running your mouth about coulda shoulda woulda…your making it worse. Leave quietly.

70. Wildcatfanforever
    7:50 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

Just proves Joker wouldnt make a good AD either.

71. Ole Blue Balls
    9:41 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

OMG he wanted 4 more yrs.

72. Ashley Schafer
    10:01 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

what a joke, come on KSR there is nothing classy about his comments….5-7 yrs before you evaluate, wtf……hire Petrino

73. Yep
    10:06 pm November 15, 2012 Permalink

I’m sure glad the comments section prove that racism isn’t alive and well in the Kentucky fanbase!

74. Typical Fans
    8:41 am November 16, 2012 Permalink

What’s funny is you all want a top notch coach to sign on for that long yet you don’t want to make that same commitment to them. If a coach has a different style of play, 3 years is not enough for them, they need time to recruit and have players that buy into their coaching style. Joker may have been there for more than 3 years but he was not the one calling the shots for any longer.

75. Typical Fans