They don’t call him Joker for nothing. When asked whether or not it was unfair that his name was on the hot seat lists circulating around the media, Joker smiled and got a little cheeky with reporters:

I’m not sitting down right now, so there’s nothing hot (smiling).

I don’t have time to listen to that stuff. All we have time to think about is doing all the productive things in our program that we need to get it back to the level that we want to. I don’t have time to think about those things.

Again, it’s like negative recruiting. The time that I got to talk about somebody else’s program, I’m losing time when I got to sell the great state of Kentucky and what we have to offer there. It takes away from the time for me to sell our basketball program. It takes away time for me to sell our 40 guys that we’ve had sign in five years. It takes away from me to sell that we have unbelievable, unbelievable fan base that stick with us through thick and thin.

I don’t have time to deal with those things either. All I need to do is make sure we’re putting a product on the field that can be successful.”

10 Comments for Joker on the hot seat: “I’m not sitting down right now, so there’s nothing hot.”

1. My boy blue
    3:09 pm July 18, 2012 Permalink

FIRST…….. This will be Jokers last year.

2. Al's IndiCats
    3:19 pm July 18, 2012 Permalink

1, I hope not. I do feel however if he doesn’t open it up with a scrambling-passing attack his seat will get rather warm…….even while he’s standing!

3. KyColonel
    3:21 pm July 18, 2012 Permalink

I hope the best for Joker but he shouldn’t worry about “selling our basketball program.” He should worry about football only. Basketball already seems to be doing reasonably well.

4. knightynight
    3:23 pm July 18, 2012 Permalink

By selling the basketball program, he is selling the football program. These guys aren’t dumb, or else, he never would have made it to the position he’s in. I liked his answer to the question.

5. maddogmitchell
    3:37 pm July 18, 2012 Permalink

2. It was widely known that with the inexperience of the skill players last season that they would have to keep the O simple. Now that those players have a year of experience I’m looking for Coach Phillips and Co. to open the O up some more.

6. maddogmitchell
    3:51 pm July 18, 2012 Permalink

My biggest concern with this upcoming season is the same as it has always been: The O and D lines have to get it done. Every play starts up front and if the guys on the line of scrimmage aren’t moving people around then this season will end up looking like last season. Stopping the run has been a perpetual achilles heel for UK and I like to think the coaches have made it a priority, but do they have the personnel to make it happen? I sure hope so. Go Cats!

7. Explorer
    3:51 pm July 18, 2012 Permalink

Guys we get it you don’t like joker. But the criticism of every word he says and everything he does is just childish. Give it rest.

8. barn
    3:58 pm July 18, 2012 Permalink

haha. joker selling our bball program? i couldn’t sell $100 bills for $5/bushel but i could sell UK Basketball.

9. Paducah Fan
    4:32 pm July 18, 2012 Permalink

With a young inexperienced team Joker will get this year and next year to prove himself. Barnhart will not fire him after this season, but if he doesnt get it done next year then yes his seat will be hot regardless if he’s standing up.

10. BravoBigBlue
    7:29 am July 19, 2012 Permalink

Does KSR pay the Joker apologists to post on here? Most fans “like Joker”, but this isn’t Facebook or a reality show. It’s bigtime college football, or at least it should be. Joker has shown he cannot succeed as a D1 head coach. He wasn’t even a good OC. Good recruiter, maybe. Being an idiot is “just childish”, so give it a rest.