Joker officially a Gator

It’s official: Joker Phillips is the new receivers coach and recruiting coordinator for the Florida Gators. Florida coach Will Muschamp announced the hiring on Monday:

“We are excited to have Joker join our staff. His background as a head coach and the number of years he has coached wide receivers will be a tremendous asset to our coaching staff and players. Joker is obviously very familiar with the Southeastern Conference and has always done a great job in recruiting.

“Obviously I had a number of experiences with Joker both on and off the field, as our paths have crossed often, but I’ve been really impressed with Joker Phillips as a man during this hiring process.”

Joker will start work on Friday. His comments on joining Florida’s staff:

“I’m thrilled to become part of the Gator family. I’m looking forward to the opportunity to compete and win at the highest level. I believe in Coach Muschamp’s philosophy and what he has done in his short time here at Florida is phenomenal.

“I’m looking forward to contributing to the long-term vision that he has for this program. In addition, it will be very rewarding to be involved in the hands-on development of the players I will coach.”

Good luck Joker…except on September 28th.

65 Comments for Joker officially a Gator

1. Loyal Blue
    3:47 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

This is great news for Joker and we should be very happy for him. However, one can view this as a slap in the face to UK. Your thoughts?

2. B l u e
    3:49 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

I hope they enjoy the bundle of 2-3 star kids he’ll provide for them!

3. Ares
    3:49 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Well I wonder if Joker is going to start the season with a loss against Strong but end the year with a win against Strong.

4. John Calipari's Amazing One And Done Flying Circus
    3:50 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Ah well, he is a millionaire, still gettin’ paid big bucks, gets to live in Florida and take his family to Disney World for half price. šŸ™‚

I don’t blame him. He has to keep his career in line.

5. Bigcat76
    3:51 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Congratulations.
    1. How could this be a slap in the face? UK fired him.

6. John Calipari's Amazing One And Done Flying Circus
    3:51 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Good one #3! LOL

7. dave
    3:52 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

1-no. you take the best job you can get. UF WRs isn’t bad only a week after getting fired.

8. Big Joke
    3:53 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Joker thinks he can improve Fla receivers if given enough time, like maybe 12 years. Just look at his success the past 3 years. What a joke he really is. He may also help Billy D recruit in the football off season, has a great eye for tallent.

9. Joker
    3:54 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

man there are some pretty FINE looking femail sports casters down here

10. lawnorder
    3:56 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Joker to Fla? Gotta be Tubby’s fault, That DAMN TUBBY!

11. Disorder?
    3:58 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

10: Your Tubby joke may have been funny the first 150 times you said it (not!), but may I suggest your try something new and original?

12. CTheTerminatorK
    3:58 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Good for joker now he will be able to better his coaching skills and be able to start over and build his career back to a HC position in the future where he was thrown in the fire at UK when he wasn’t ready for the job , though that wasn’t his fault but now he can right his wrong and fix his career Florida might be the place for him to fix his career Thank you Joker for all the heart and Character and time you put into UK best wishes to you And ONCE A WILDCAT ALWAYS A WILDCAT GO CATS!

13. Poppschmidty
    3:58 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Muschamp has seen our receivers, right?

14. Rod
    3:58 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Is Mary Jo Perino scouting the local news channels..

15. UKBlue
    3:58 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Florida is totally overrated, and going into the season Muschamp job status was up in the air. If Florida would have had a bad year, Muschamp would already be out the door. Florida record this year just delayed the inevitable; Muschamp will lose his job within the next 3 years, so Joker won’t be at Florida long. Hiring Joker, Florida just got a whole lot worse, and will only speed up Muschamp getting fired.

16. kfund
    4:05 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Really going all out getting the inside scoop on UofL from Joker.
    If he stays around in that job then, judging by how our receivers failed to develop, Joker may serve BBN by helping end the streak of UF over UK.
    I’m glad he has a job, and wish him well.
    He’ll also get to establish his domicile in FL where it can’t be taken in a divorce judgment…

17. Raazoul
    4:06 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Here’s the line of the day… “Iā€™m looking forward to the opportunity to compete and win at the highest level.” Here’s how he finished that sentence in his head… “And I plan on going deep often when we play UK”

18. Dee
    4:06 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

12. Bravo…very well spoken……I agree 100%…ALL UK FANS SHOULD SHOW THE CLASS…you just did…..

19. Truth says
    4:07 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Yea an how long did it take rich brooks ta win about 12 damn years.. That’s the reason he retired couldn’t keep up with the sec an its dominance… So he leaves it 2 joker… Trust me if rich was still here he’d be fired 2

20. WildcatByTheGraceOfGod
    4:07 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Maybe he’s going internal as a UK spy…and he’s going to make UF suck enough for us to end the streak…. #BBNforLife

LMAO

21. The Blue Goose
    4:08 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

I like Joker and am glad for him…don’t blame him AT ALL for going to Florida. Having said that, one thing won’t change…he’ll still be helping Kentucky lose football games.

22. STOOPSBROWN
    4:09 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

WAHOO!! We now have a legit shot to beat the Gators next year!!

23. Downcline
    4:11 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Wonder why Florida wants to teach their receivers how to drop passes?

24. Fire Cal Now
    4:13 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Hahaha we may have a shot at Florida now! Just stop the run game.

25. Robshairgel
    4:15 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

I would have to think he lost money on this one, wasn’t he due the rest of his Coaches salary at UK? if so that’s roughly 2 million a year. I don’t know the specifics of his contract but I doubt he’s being paid that much by Florida unless UK Athletics has too pay the balance left over to cover the 2 million he was due? Say Florida is paying him 750,000 that would mean UK will owe him 250,000 the next two years? Anyways congrats too Joker I wish him nothing but the best at Florida, good coach and even better a better man! He never had any accusations against him or the program and when players didn’t follow team rules, they were let go. Character flaws was something you didn’t have to worry about with him,just wished he wouldcve won more games in his time in Lexington.

26. lawnorder
    4:17 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

I’m really sorry y’all. I just got an email to ceast and decist with the Tubby emails, but
    I won’t. I’m trying to make a point here, in case y’all are missing it. Just like with
    Obama, you try to make everything Tubby’s fault just like you try to make everything
    Obama’s fault. Are you all so dim you can’t figure out you’ll do the same thing
    to Cal, Stoops, ANYBODY who doesn’t go undefeated, win the SEC and the
    National Championship EVERY SINGLE YEAR ‘TIL KINGDOM COME.
    Y’all do know that’s not even possible, right? GO TUBBY, GO TUBBY,
    GO TUBBY, GO TUBBY.

27. Eric K
    4:26 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Good! Who care’s! Thanks for putting our football program in the crapper! Don’t come back please! We have a real football coach NOW!! GO CATS!!

28. Oscar Combs
    4:35 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

I never heard the full details on this Mary Jo Perino/Joker affair. Was this ever substantiated? What are the facts behind this story?

29. An actual intelligent being
    4:36 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

You guys are idiots, joker was obviously hired to help scout for the sugar bowl against Louisville, I think for the short term it was a GREAT hire, long term we will have to wait and see.

30. Samm
    4:41 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

12 – best post I’ve read in a long time. Could you please represent the entire BBN on twitter from now on?

31. Quisling
    4:42 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

28, Nothing at all has ever been substantiated on that. As far as I’m concerned it’s just a bunch of haters blowing smoke.

32. lawnorder
    4:43 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

#26 really? posting under my lawnorder name? How annoying!

33. Rick
    4:43 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

29, Are you kidding the gators need no help beating the cards. I’m sure when they heard who they were playing they stared cheering.Congrulations to Joker a fine mand and a life long card fan.

34. Aja
    4:46 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Next year Muschamp can say “we’re better than that.” I’m glad Florida hired a recruiting coordinator who knows how to work the SEC.

35. barn
    4:47 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

what a good ol’ boy system coaching is. all you have to do is get your foot in the door and you’re set for life. it doesn’t matter if you get fired from one multi-million dollar job, there’s always another good ol’ boy to take you on with a high-dollar salary someplace else. nothing against joker, hell, i’d love to be in that loop myself. just sayin’

36. Reasonable Doubt
    4:50 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

28 – no proof effort…just good ole boys trying to smear Joker’s good character.

37. asdf
    4:51 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

35, You think maybe developing a stable of 3-star recruits into solid pros and also being the only OC in SEC history to have an offense throw for 40 TD’s in a season helped?

38. BAC05
    4:52 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Wow, a lot of you are total Jackasses. You all make me regret being a UK fan. Yes, the guy gave us a bad couple of years of football, but he was committed to the University and to the state, it just didn’t pan out. Leave the man alone and let him be,(Do the same for our basketball players as well). I’ve seen more maturity in a group of 10 year olds than on these comment sections.

39. KnowYourHistory
    4:53 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Joker’s Introductory Press Conference:

Reporter: What can you bring to the Gators?

Joker: Have you ever heard of a bubble screen or a draw play on 3rd and long?

40. Sammydog
    4:59 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

I don’t understand the continuing hate for Joker. Why doesn’t Once a Wildcat Always a Wildcat hold for Joker as well? Except for the older fans, Joker has probably been a Wildcat longer than anyone on this board. Do you somehow think Joker slacked off and deliberately tried to fail just to piss your sorry a–es off? He did his best which is probably more than most people have the strength of character to do.

41. UK 24-7
    4:59 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Wow! Joker has a job coaching wide receivers and we have probably the best DC in the country as our head coach. Hmmmmm. We have a lot better shot at Florida now. Cya in Sept. Joker.

42. Duffus
    5:04 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Duffus says: It will take more than Joker and Muschamp to beat my man STOOPS!!

43. Monstermash
    5:13 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

#39 & #40: Problem is that there are to many people out there that feel it is their right to type whatever they feel like typing. They would never say it to someone’s face but they think it’s OK to type it on a message board. Post like these remind me of a quote from the movie Pure Country. “The funny thing about that little white speck on the top of chicken shit. That little white speck is chicken shit too.” People that post all the negative comments, well, they are just chicken shit too.

44. SadCat
    5:16 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

He got this job because of Randall Cobb.

45. barn
    5:18 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

37–i’ll take your word for the touchdown record. but even though he (according to you) develops 3star players, in the sec it’s all about recruiting, as in most conferences, and unfortunately for joker he couldn’t recruit well enough to be competitive in the sec.

46. Bald Guy
    5:26 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Love this for Joker! He will be in a position to succeed and I’m sure he will be a big asset to FL as a recruiter and teacher. Some folks are not CEO caliber but that doesn’t change the fact their character is elite. Joker will do very well, win a lot, and live in a much better climate… and make a ton of money. That must be terrible.

47. Booger
    5:30 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Hey guys—Joker doesn’t make fun of you driving a garbage truck for 20,000 a year so don’t make fun of him for doing something he loves making 750,000 a year. If he doesn’t get paid by UK after the hiring at Florida—–that just shows what this guy is made of—–true class. He could just set around drawing your tax money!!!!

48. Robster
    5:33 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

He lost more games this year then he will his entire career at Florida. Best of luck Joker!

49. Inspector
    5:36 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Glad for Joke, but miffed at the comment at ready to win at the highest level. I thought he was trying to do that here at UK. Good luck Joker.

50. Charlie Strong
    5:54 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

I was scared of Florida, but not anymore.

51. poppycat
    5:56 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Just wearing a Gator shirt improves Joker’s ability to recruit. Recruiting is just selling a product. Now he has something to sell. Getting a 4* or 5* at UF will be easier than getting a 2/3* at UK. Also, the better the talent, the easier to coach.

Relative to BB. … Compare the 5* players that Cal has brought to UK with what he brought to Memphis or U Mass. UK bb recruits itself, so does UF football compared to UK.

Honing skills and coaching a player “up” is not the same as calling plays. Joker will do well at UF.

52. Sammydog
    5:58 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

#43 I have noticed the CJ sports comments sections have very few posts now that you must log in and post via facebook. It used to be packed with even more cowards than this board. Since this board remains a free for all, I think cowards from other schools have gravitated over here to spew their childish venom. Perhaps this outlet keeps them from beating their spouses and children.

53. Drunk (Yet Wise) Santa
    5:58 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Good for him. He can finally experience being a winner. Hopefully so, too, can we.

54. yitbos
    6:01 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Good luck to him! Just not against us

55. claw
    6:12 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

I would have had some dignity and taken a head coaching position at a smaller college.

56. Recruiting Cord?
    6:16 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Glad for Joker but recruiting cord? Oh well he can help them load up on 2 star recruits I guess. Wish him the best.

57. barn
    6:21 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

40–where is there hate being spewed on this post? i see some well-deserved critical comments being stated but for the most part nothing to suggest ‘we hate joker’. like a lot of other fans i wanted joker to succeed mainly because he was a Ky guy. i liked joker.

58. Dr. Tom
    6:35 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

I assume all the Joker bashers excell at the highest level in their jobs and with their families. Just hope they never get the ax at work but if they do am sure they will be appreciative well wishes from friends and family. Congratulations Coach Phillips on your new assignment. Your were a class act at UK and 95% of bbn wish you well as you compete in the SEC. Gods speed with you and your family!!

59. true story
    6:41 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

so, from SEC HC to position coach and yet folks like 58 thought he was awesome. Couldn’t land… ANY HC job???

60. paintsville's dairy queen
    6:45 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

I think Joker will do great there. Before he became the HC he got players like K Burton, Dickey, Stevie and Cobb. By the way he turned Cobb into a receiver and look at him now. Hope the best for him except when he plays the Cats.

61. get a clue
    7:45 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

56 he’s recruiting at a real fb school now. watch he will pull in top 10 classes with a real product 2 sell. stoops won’t

62. KnowYourHistory
    7:45 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

43 and 52. I have no ill will against Joker. I just have never agreed with his play calling while as the OC or head coach. In fact, there is nothing mean about what I posted. Joker’s play calling has been descrbied by many people as conservative. I would say this to his face also. I am a UK fan who does actually attend games in multiple sports. I also have two degrees from UK. So I think that entitles me to state my opinion of Joker’s play calling abilities.

I do find it ironic that I would be called out about making comments on here rather than to someone’s face when, in fact, you are guilty of the same behavior towards me.

63. Objective
    7:46 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

You all hope joker succeeds? At a school UK plays EVERY year?? If he was as great a guy as everybody seems to think, I think he would’ve taken a job outside of the SEC.

64. kyklaus
    8:10 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

Wonder if joker has dumped the rest of his kentucky gear.

65. Clue's daddy
    8:47 pm December 3, 2012 Permalink

#61. Son get back on the porch. I told your stupid ass every time you step off the porch you make make an ass out of you and #BBN. Your lookin like your mommas back asswards family from Tennessee. Boy don’t make me kick your queer ass. Just like your momma, your plain stupid son.