Joker: “I care about this program more than anybody”

joker-wku

Joker is feeling the heat (as he should) after losing to Louisville at home over the weekend but he doesn’t care about the fans’ negativity. In his Monday press conference, he made it very clear that he bleeds blue and he won’t listen to your complaints.

“They (fans) e-mail me and I don’t e-mail them back,” he said. “The thing I learned from Rich is to stick to the plan and continue to plow ahead. We are 2-1. We are not 0-3.”

Joker says he’ll deal with the scrutiny at the end of the season if this team is 2-10. Right now, the focus is on getting ready for the Florida Gators.

“I care about this program more than anybody,” he said.

Well, if that’s the case, he better get this program on the right path or he’ll be loving it from a mid-major job somewhere. I don’t see Mitch letting him go after two years, but Joker will have the hottest seat in college football if things don’t get better.

Article written by Drew Franklin

98 Comments for Joker: “I care about this program more than anybody”

1. bluegrass79
    12:46 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

”he’ll be loving it from a mid-major job somewhere.” FACT

2. Scott
    12:47 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

The hottest seat in college football? Please…

3. spotts_76
    12:51 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

He may love it, but that doesn’t mean he can coach.

4. Tobias Funke
    12:55 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

I love it so much I’m content to continue being the most non-agressive, wussy coach in America. Hoping other teams make worse mistakes than we do so we’ll still be in the game in the 4th quarter. Hey Joker, your vag is showing.

5. Ben
    12:56 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Joker does not get it and he never will! The fans are the University of Kentucky! No Fans, then no need for Joker and Staff. His pride and arrogance will lead to his downfall very shortly! The plan was not handed down by God from heaven! If you are not flexible in this job, you will be run over and thrown out. Good bye, Joker!

6. I Shoot 4s
    12:57 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

After we end up 3-9, I wonder if Joker will say, “At least we aren’t 2-10?”

7. bluesince66
    12:57 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Isn’t the main reason you name a coach in waiting is to assure consistency in the program? It’s not like when Brooks came in on probation, Brooks fixed that for the most part. I thought Brooks needed five years to turn that mess around. Joker did not inherit a mess, he got a decent football team to coach, and according to him the recruiting has been better, so what exactly is the problem?

8. Commander McBragg
    12:57 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

If you LOVE something let it go….just saying.

9. Huff
    12:57 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Prep for Florida Gators: Offense – 1st down plays, run up middle. 2nd down plays, run up middle. 3rd and long plays, run up middle…RISE UP THE MIDDLE! Power through an entire defense stacked in the box!

10. James
    1:02 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

My in-laws (UT fans) are laughing at my complaints about draw plays on 3rd and long…. just like I was laughing at them when they had Randy Sanders and were doing the same thing. I used to think it was Fulmer, but there’s a common denominator here. Maybe Sanders is a great QB coach, but not so great calling plays.

11. QuickRick
    1:04 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Yea we are 2-1. Joker can’t really afford another loss because if he keeps playing like this we will lose every SEC game we play this year. He doesn’t coach to win, he coaches to not lose. I’m sick of watching this extremely conservative play calling and overall poor offense.

12. CatsFan
    1:09 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Congratulations to all UL fans! Your team beat a terrible Kentucky football team. Enjoy it while it lasts and we will see you Dec 31

13. Kernel Sanders
    1:11 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Is Joker the man for this job? I don’t know, maybe not. But has he busted his butt for many years trying to improve this program? Yes. Here’s what I hope, as an alumnus of UK and an acquaintance of Joker’s … if he leaves after next year (won’t happen this year), then the a-holes like #4 and #5 above keep seeing a revolving door of coaches that never succeed at UK. Or the quick fixes like Mumme that bring on more trouble than they’re worth. AFter Joker leaves, I’m done … not with the players, not with the school or the program, but with jerkwad fans. You can be an unhappy fan, you can criticize the coach, but to claim that its “pride and arrogance” that is his downfall is asinine at the least.

14. KING REX #3
    1:12 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Funny way of expressing love….by beating it and locking in a dungeon…..

15. Dolfan66r
    1:13 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

I heard Rich Brooks this morning on the Joe B and Denny show saying that all heard was promises after promises to removate the facilities at Commonwealth without any follow through. He even praised Louisville for the money they have invested in their pizza house for the club level areas and the recruiting room not to mention the Yum center for the basketball program. He basically said that UK has the worst facilites behind Vandy in the SEC for football.

16. UKGrad83
    1:14 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

As if we, “The Fans”, don’t care about the program. If we didn’t care, we wouldn’t be making noise like a stuck pig. Given who we’ve played, we should be 3-0 with 30 point margins of victory. Platitudes be d*mned Joker. Prove us all wrong and win HALF the remaining games, with whatever “plan” you have, and maybe the skeptics will begin to “Believe” in the “Rise”. However, given what we’ve seen so far, this team may win one more game but no more.

17. Ben
    1:14 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Let’s see! All is well except for one little detail, the team is not preforming like it should! I’ve a message for you Joker, that is all the matters. You are judged by your won/loss record.

18. ThankfulCat
    1:17 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

This team won’t win an SEC game except maybe Ole Miss

That game Saturday night was a suckfest.

Mike Leach come on down

19. Ol Farmer
    1:17 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Plowing ahead smelling the mule farts.

20. Let's Get Real
    1:20 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

For those that want Mike Leach so bad, you better be the same fans that backed gillispie. Cause that’s what you’ll get. There’s a reason Leach doesn’t have a job.

21. drbigblue01
    1:21 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

We were at the game and as usual, the crowd and atmosphere were absolutely awesome. A sea of blue and white tents in a beautiful green tree’s, blue skies setting. Everthing is great. Couldn’t have a better fan base in the country but at the same time, I have never seen so many empty seats in the stadium. I read it was the lowest turn out since a game in 1996 and this was “The U of L and KY” game. I am 58 years old and following football since Jim Brown played for the Cleveland Browns. I am not a football coach or a qualified sports writer but from a lifetime of watching football, what I have seen over the last three games Kentucky has played, I would have to grade the play of their quarterback and offensive line and “F”. The quarter back is a blocking tight end at best, not a quarterback. Hes slow as a herd of turtles. U of L’s kids ran circles around him and the offensive line is even slower and less affective. The coaching and play calling…….. whoa.. did you hear the boos from the stands.. I remember when people used to get chastised when they would exit a game early. The other night it looked like the stands were bleeding blue. I say no more other than hopefully, U of L will win the Big East, go to a major bowl and our poor performance will then be understood a little better.

22. Kidnut
    1:22 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

UK fans are over-reacting worse than a Duke player trying to draw an offensive foul. Joker is on the hot seat of the irrational and negative fans only.

23. disgruntled
    1:23 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Why stick to a plan when the plan obviously cannot work. That statement will come back to haunt him. His days are numbered. It is up to the fans now to see just how small that number can be.

24. Jsett1
    1:23 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Where will he go when UK finally gets rid of him? Surely he won’t get a head coaching spot anywhere. Why would a mid-major want him? I would hire a complete unknown before I would throw money down the drain on someone who has proven to have ZERO ability to motivate players or adapt to how the other team plays.

25. UK FAN
    1:23 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Yes Joker we are not 0-3 because you have played WKU and CMU. Great accomplishment

26. Ben
    1:26 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

#13 I never liked your chicken, way over rated! After you have watched this same thing for fifty years, see how you feel! I do not dislike Joker, I can just see that his system will not work with the players he has. He recruited the players, so change the players or change the system! Either way it lays squarely on Jokers shoulders. Do not sit there and state you will not change! That my friend is pride and arrogance!

27. hoss_cat
    1:27 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

i don’t understand giving him another year if he does that bad. I mean brooks left the program in good shape and the only thing we’ve done is regress, which shouldn’t be tolerated. Luckily, I dont get upset about uk football. They’re never gonna be anything other than one of the bottom end teams in the sec

28. rj
    1:28 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

yeah, and obama says he loves this country while he is destroying it as well….not much difference in the two

29. Jimmy Buffett
    1:28 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

If we had 3 SEC games, we’d be 0-3.

30. bluesince66
    1:29 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

My guess is UL will not play that hard the rest of the season.

31. MJ4UK
    1:29 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

#FreeBookieCobbins, #FreeMaxwellSmith

32. Actually
    1:31 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Joker should do the best thing for the program. Resign today and turn it over to somebody who can design a game plan and motivate a team. Joker can do neither

33. Redd
    1:39 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Drew. Hottest seat in college football? Come on now. Not even close. He’s not Billy G. He’s done good things and has time to do great things with this program.

34. Justin G.
    1:39 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

7, the problem as you have deduced, is that we have a coach that does not know how to scheme for their opponent. We have played 3 bad teams, and have lost to our instate rival, who is not good at all. What has Joker and staff been doing since Spring? There is barely any positives to see out on the field, and they get compounded by the crap play calling! Now, UK only has 1 week between games to fix a host of problems, and they are going to be playing teams that are a million times better then the 3 we have played so far.
    Conclusion, UK will be 3-9 by the end of the season, and Joker will talk about how he tried.I wish I made 800k to just try! I, and many other fans would happily support paying twice that for a real coach.

35. Jimmy Buffett
    1:39 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Oh, now I get it. He’s trying to lull Florida into a false sense of security by saying he won’t make changes.
    Then, POW we drop the hammer and kick a field goal on them.

36. ChiggityChack
    1:40 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

28. Hey, RJ, I’m surprise it only took 27 comments before you to bring politics into a conversation about football. THEY TOOK ER JOBS

37. Joanne
    1:42 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

You guys are ridiculous. I understand the frustration, but it’s not like Joker has that much to work with this season. Had the offensive line done ANYTHING last game we would have won. Joker has done well so far and if you all would quit being impatient little assholes acting like we were some great program that’s falling from glory because of Joker and quit e-mailing the coach, maybe give him a little space and be patient, things can and will turn around in the next few years. I love the Cats and the BBN. I love that we’re crazy and care so much about our teams, but the way we are acting is absolutely ridiculous. Chill out. We won’t go 3-9 or 2-10. We’ll be fine and we’ll only get better. Enjoy this season and get ready for Basketball.

38. SweetTeaMob til I DIE
    1:43 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

E.J. Fields. #capcity

39. BravoBigBlue
    1:45 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Barnhardt should be feeling the heat as well. His coach-in-wating decision is the worst thing that could have happened for Joker and the program. Joker should have gone to a smaller school and proven himself first as a head coach. Then MAYBE he gets hired as Kentucky’s head coach. Well, this experiment has not worked out, and Joker will likely not be a head coach again after he is fired after next season. He is just not head coach material.

40. josh
    1:45 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

We will get crushed by Florida, Louisville figured out how they run their offense, Run Run Pass, Run Run Pass, Pass Run Pass, That’s all they did and they are and came predictable. I predict a ZERO win record in SEC play we will be 3-9 wins coming from Western, Central Michigan and Jacksonville St. Thats it.

41. BravoBigBlue
    1:47 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

34 – Joker doesn’t make 800k. He makes very close to 2 million per year.

42. Wildcat Fan
    1:50 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Ya’ll are predicting a 3-9 season? really? you have that little faith and are going to be that bad as fans? This is one of the rare moments I’m ashamed of the BBN. Grow up, have faith, cheer hard, and enjoy the season. It was the third game. We beat them four years in a row, including one win for Joker. CALM DOWN AND QUIT BEING BAD FANS. We’re all better than that.

43. josh
    1:51 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

oh I forgot to add. Louisville has 43 freshman and we got beat by a freshman quarterback and an all freshman O-Line. And we have a QB that doesnt know how to throw to another wide out other then King. a Freshman QB throws the ball away on the last play of the game, not a Junior so I would like to Thank Morgan Newton for that lose and also Joker phillip who didnt know how to the the wild cat or Louisville Run period.

44. john4uk
    1:51 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

John Ray and Bill Curry also loved their job at UK.Wonder if the powers that be will let Joker stay as long as these two?

45. MtnCat
    1:53 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Joker is riding a fine line with the fans. Bragging on barely being 2-1 with who we have played is lame. We SEC! Rise Joker!

46. Trollolol
    1:53 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

47. Shut Up
    1:54 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

43- Not only do you not know simple basics of grammar, but you don’t even know our coach’s name. I normally wouldn’t care, but you’re a bad fan. Shut up.

48. Mt. Washington Mike
    1:55 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Joker………… Some of the communications you are receiving are telling you that there is an Iceberg ahead…. So you just stay on the same course and keep ignoring these.

49. Kernel Sanders
    1:59 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

#26 Ben – not unexpected that you can’t deduce that my name has nothing to do with KFC. Do you even know how to spell “colonel”? I have watched UK football for over 40 years myself. Maybe I didn’t take note when idiots bashed other UK coaches (deservedly or not), but it sure didn’t take long for UK fans to turn on one of their own. Homegrown player comes home and gets hated on after 15 games. When did I say I wouldn’t change? I simply said that after reading idiotic comments, I am going to enjoy watching them continue to whine, suffer, and stroke out when and if Joker leaves and the next sacrificial lamb of a head coach is brought in. If you’ve truly watched UK football for 50 years… then you’ve endured about 45 years of misery and you act like the 5 successful years out of that 50 should be the norm. LOL

50. cdc_uky
    2:01 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

STOP PLAYING CONSERVATIVE! We do not have the talent of any SEC team we are going to face (maybe not even Vandy). Lets take chances and look for the big play…at least it will be fun to watch! Conservative play against better opponents makes for bad football to watch and no chance to win. I almost want to hear the air raid alarm…

51. Al's IndiCats
    2:01 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

It’s a pride thing that Joker will not resign. I sincerely hopes he turns it around and win at least half of the remaining games, or at least put us in a position to win it at the end of them. But if he’s hell bent on running it up the middle or having Newton running it around the ends or “SIMPLIFY” the offence, then a team of cheerleaders and short folks will run over us like a herd of bison over a hill of ants.

52. timer
    2:05 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Why can’t Joker admit that the coaching staff did a very poor job of preparing the team for the first three games this season? Yes, we are 2-1. But the two wins were not against quality opposition.

I don’t hold the players responsible. The offensive line was clueless in both the Western and UL games. There were times when both UL tackles ran into the backfield untouched. That is a result of the coaches not preparing the offensive line for the unexpected. I don’t believe the UL players were that much quicker or stronger than our O-line. They were just better prepared (coached).

It is painfully obvious to everyone – I’m sure Joker included – that the coaching staff has failed the team, the University and the fans in the first three games this year. Joker needs to admit that the coaching staff is not doing a good job and pledge to do better for the remainder of the year.

53. Kingscuba89
    2:07 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

In all honestity, the biggest problem with Saturday was the performance of our o-line. Yes, I do believe an 8 year old could of called better plays, but when you can’t even run the ball for more them a yard at a time then your not even gonna be able to do anything. It seemed like every play our o-line was turned around looking for that red jersey that just blew by them while Morgan was getting drilled… It’s hard to take a lose to the dirty birds. But I still love me cats. Always have and always will!

54. Justin G.
    2:10 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

37, Joker came into a program that had momentum! He went 6-7 last season, because he had playmakers that could get his team out of crap play-calling! This season, he has barely been able to beat two really bad teams, and lost to our instate rival, who is not good at all! The problem is that Joker, has had since the spring to work on things, and it seems like they can barley do anything! That shows me his level of coaching ability. Do you think recruits want to come play for a team that can barely walk straight, and is extremely dull and cumbersome to watch?! How do you think they will view UK, when they get blown-out in the SEC this year?
    The thing is, there was nothing that needed to be “turned around” when he was given the reigns. Yet, you want to “give him a few years to turn things around”! The only reason they need to be turned around is because of him! If he is here for a few more years, then we will see everything coach Brooks built, gone.
    UK, has been in the Top-25 in attendance in football for the last 4 years! This year we will not! Actions speak louder then words! He can say what ever he wants, but we will miss a bowl this season, and our recruiting will start to dive again.
    41, sorry about the error. I thought he made under 1 mill. 2 million is crazy excessive for a coach of his caliber! He might love UK, but that does not mean he is a good coach.

55. Incalwetrust
    2:15 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

It’s time for Joker to stop being all buddy buddy with the players and be a coach. Joker has had the luxury of being an assistant coach who could get close to his players and be there friend. As with any leadership situation , when you assume more responsibility you become not just responsible for the happiness of the players but the SUCCESS of the program. Joker it’s time to let your assistants be the players friend, and time for you to put your foot up the players ass……you can learn this lesson and move forward or we will hire a New COACH who can.

56. DDB
    2:17 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

RJ your comments about President Obama and Joker Phillips are ridiculous but I’ll play your game for fun. President Obama doesn’t recruit Congress (you might want to get your facts straight on whose ruining the country). Joker and his staff do recruit.

57. josh
    2:20 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

oh sorry before you get time to call me out again…… it was suppose to say “we are second to last as the worst team in the SEC just below us is Vandy, not if”.

58. getting old
    2:21 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Resign

59. Joanne
    2:21 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

54- I understand what you’re saying about not needing “turning around.” Rich Brooks made tremendous strides, got better recruits, and boosted attendance. But he made 4 mediocre bowls. We did well for UK football, but we stopped getting better after the first bowl season. No more momentum, just a little bit of staying power. We remained the same for the next four years and were just waiting to break through a little more. This year will be a step back, but I firmly believe it has less to do with the coaching than you are insinuating.

If we have good fans then we will stay in the top 25 in attendance. But we’re all fair weather fans. I was one of few people left in the stadium at the end of that Arkansas game. Everyone gave up and started complaining, just like always. And we pulled it off. Look at a school like Georgia, who has great recruits and big expectations year in and year out, but they continually disappoint their fans. They have far more tradition than UK football, and their fans get more disappointed than we do, but they still sell out every single game. That’s what we need to be. If you think recruits are turned off by a bat-shit-crazy fan base that turns on their coach and team at the beginning of a season, you’re crazy.

Maybe this program doesn’t need to be “turned around”, but it sure as hell hasn’t had forward momentum ever since the Mississippi State loss 4 years ago during the Apostrophe era

60. Justin G.
    2:25 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

51, exactly! We have a senior laden offensive line, but they look like they are 2 star freshmen who have never played. Look at our defensive line as well! FIU, had 6 sacks on UL’s crap line, and we could barely stop their 3 rd string, running quarterback, when everyone knew they were going to run.
    Oh, and UL’s offensive line was not all freshmen! I do not know where that poster got their info, but they had a some Soph., and Seniors playing a lot. The funny thing is that Strong, since at UL, has out recruited Joker, has a much more exciting scheme that kids want to play for, and will win in the crap Big East! Joker, came into his position with UK on a bowl streak, a win streak against our rival, and pure momentum. The two are headed in opposite directions!

61. Skip Holtz
    2:25 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

CALL ME!

62. Joanne
    2:27 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Let me rephrase. It does have to do with the coaching on the recruiting end, but Joker isn’t blowing these games from a gameplan point of view. The players have to step up. We don’t have the talent we had the last four years, so it’s on Joker to make up for that. I really believe that with time and support he can do that. If anyone want to get on my ass for supporting our coach in his second season then please go ahead but you’re not going to convince me of anything. I stand by my team no matter what. Until a coach has wasted years of program potential or shown lack of morals/character (read: Billy Gillespie), I will stand by him/her.

GO CATS. This team is preparing hard and we have a chance to catch some OUTSTANDINGLY GOOD SEC opponents off guard

63. Jimmy Buffett
    2:33 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Where is post #62; same as the number of points UF will score this week….

64. matt
    2:33 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

As a season ticket holder for nearly 10 years I’ve seen a lot of UK football and I’ve come to one conclusion. The football team is not a priority to the athletic department or the boosters. Until that changes we will get exactly what we are getting, hoping for 6 or 7 wins a year.

65. matt
    2:33 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

66. Jay
    2:35 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

It occurs to me that the captain of the Titanic had a plan too. Of course, once you hit an iceberg, the plans need change. Running the QB played right into Louisville’s hands and Joker was too stubborn to admit that UL saw it coming from a mile away and had been preparing for it all week. Continuing to run it is not “sticking to a plan.” It’s masochism.

67. Kernel Sanders
    2:40 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

#62 – not to put words in your mouth, but when you say “we don’t have the talent we had the last 4 years” I think that is both true and false. Overall, the talent level has definitely improved. We are miles ahead of the Curry years, the Mumme years, and the Guy Morriss years, and even most of the Brooks years. What we are seeing (outside of the overrated O-line) is a lack of talented skill players. There is no player on this team that approaches the skill level of Cobb, Locke, Burton, Tamme, Stevie Johnson, etc. But also, aside from some glimpses from Josh Clemons, these guys aren’t even playing up to their admittedly lower potential. Meaning LaRod King is no Cobb, and Raymond Sanders is no Locke, but they really can’t compare when they can’t play up to their OWN POTENTIAL. Fact .. Morgan Newton was overrated coming out of HS.

68. really?
    2:48 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

The talent is fine it’s the developement and preparation of players that make the difference. That falls on the coaching staff in my opinion, I mean really guys does tcu or boise state have better recruits? Season tickets go up and the last 3 years the team is going down hill. If Joker doesn’t make a bowl game they should fire him right afer the season and begin finding a great program builder.

69. Blue Genius
    2:48 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

42. Based on our performance, ratings of teams we have to play, and conference strength/schedule, a 3-9 record is actually a solid prediction with no emotion or negativity attached.

70. Conference Changes
    2:52 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

In response to the KSR poll today… as much as the SEC feels like home and I don’t want to leave it, UK is a perfect ACC school. Great basketball and decent football.

We would join a conference full of basketball powerhouses, making it the new version of what the Big East was the last few years. It would be *probably* the best basketball conference of all time. There would be no more saying that UK has it easy because the SEC isn’t good at basketball (which is relatively true). We would compete with the best of the best every week and be able to prove ourselves and get better from playing against better competition.

Then, on the football side, we would fit right it. We’d usually be better than Duke, UNC, Clemson, NC State, Wake Forest, etc., but still play some tough games. Boston, FSU, Va Tech. We’d have more appropriate competition and more potential to do better. We’re just never going to be an elite football school, but we’ll ALWAYS be one of the top two or three basketball programs.

I hate to say it, but I’ve come to the realization that we are an ACC school. Don’t like the conference and like the SEC better, but the ACC is a perfect match. Probably won’t happen but it could be exciting.

71. Sean
    2:53 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Hottest seat in all of college football??? Not so much. Just wait until basketball season and very few will notice that UK is still playing football. Don’t get me wrong, I know lots of people who are really committed to watching UK fball whether they win or lose, but there are not enough of those folks to make the UK fball job the “hottest seat in all of college football.”

72. Justin G.
    2:59 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

54, I totally disagree with you. When has UK made anything better then mediocre bowls in the first place? Georgia has had sweet memories, and a history in football to fall back on, for prides sake. UK fans are not fair weather, because we have barely ever seen the sun shine! How do you think fans of any school are going to act when are team is getting beaten by 3 plus touchdowns (last season) when our team has solid players (Cobb, Locke, Matthews, King, etc.)

Why would UK fans want to come to games, that they are guaranteed to not only get blown-out in, but, will not even be remotely competitive. Actually, UK hasn’t had momentum, since we are supposedly recruiting better then we have ever had, but we are sinking like a ship under Phillips’ leadership and coaching ability! At least UK was exciting to watch before his tenure! Joker has to”scale back the system” because he has 0 clue on how to prepare his team! Look at how Western and CMU have faired against other opponents not named UK! Brooks had a major (rules violations) excuse for his bad years! Joker on the other hand, does not have one, but his play calling is dead on with what Brooks was forced to use in his early years! That in hand, shows his ability. Uk fans will not support him, because they, like myself do not want to keep feeding the UK admin. and prompt them to do nothing, but keep an inferior product on the field.

73. RichRod
    3:01 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Call me…I got an offense that works in the SEC….Spread’m out and I like beating Louisville.

74. jwheats
    3:01 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Jumping ship right now is not what this fanbase needs to do. has everyone forgotten our beloved coach brooks? His first three seasons he had just 7 wins and 25 losses. Sure the players look as if they dont realize they are playing football for the majority of the game, and yes the coaching has been terrible and to be honest, Coach Phillips has been out coached the majority of the time. But the season is still early, we have been getting players to commit, and I dont think we as fans should give up.

Lets go BIG BLUE NATION! #RISE

75. ribin
    3:09 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Coaches (whole crew) need to get it turned around – no more hype about a new defensive coordinator, how experienced the line coach, special teams and other coaches are – how great it is to have woodson back. The team must be ‘motivated’ – at the beginning of the game — through out the game — with Joker, we ‘come to work’ – very unemotional — these are college kids-not pros. QB isn’t going to be michael vick, cameron newton — if he can ‘throw’ then spread them out and throw it. Quit relying on an offensive line to keep the defense out — throw quick passes – get the defense having to cover the whole field.

76. UKGrad83
    3:16 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

@Joanne – The program is a train wreck. You may not see it yet but the light at the end of the tunnel isn’t the end of the tunnel. It’s going to get much uglier real fast. The lack of fundamental skills shown by the team is breathtakingly bad; missed tackles and blocks, dropped balls, inability to adjust to different schemes, inability to pass to open receivers, etc. The only chance this team has is if the other team fails to show up. They are going to be chewed up and spit out by the SEC schedule. The shortcomings of the staff are painfully clear as well; poor game preparation, poor in-game play calling, poor game time adjustments and lack of enthusiasm. Joker isn’t being paid 1.75 million dollars to maintain moral integrity only. Adjusting to new schemes is one thing but this staff has failed in the fundamentals. Time for a change.

77. Loublue2
    3:22 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Saps like #74, 67 and that lady “Joanne” make me want to puke. I have forgotten more football than any of the 3 of them know…and if you think Joker can resurrect what HE has destoyed you are sadly mistaken. He inherited a good ball team, and he has dismantled it. He’s a nice guy…but so what? He has been handsomely compensated for his work. Get some backbone for crying out loud!!! Joker has GOT to go!

78. CA UK FAN
    3:28 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Too soon to give up on the Joke……he’s no Billy G. I mean at least he doesn’t embarrass us when he talks to the press. I hope he turns it around. I can’t see how that’s going to happen, but who knows.

79. My Gator is Hungry
    3:31 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

There is some serious football coming to town. Y’all either need to get in the boat or out.

80. KyTom
    3:37 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

The empty seats will speak louder than anyone here.

81. bigcatelswick
    3:37 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

ease up Drew. Maybe if you (ksr blog) would put a positive spin on what you write instead of provoking the fans with negative posts things wouldnt seem so bad. Maybe we ought to create a blog dissecting your lame tv show and all the mistakes that happen during that broadcast. I cant count on two hands and feet how many times Matt Jones stumbles through words while on air. KSR is a great thing but lets remember its purpose (to inform the fans) and stay away from putting down a young football team.

82. ACC!
    3:43 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Hey! Let’s quit fighting and blab about nonsense, like always!

70: I totally agree with you. Not an ACC fan at all, but we definitely belong there. Good move for foosball and bball. How awesome would it be to play Duke, Pitt, Syracuse, Wake Forest, maybe one day UConn, every single year?!? We’d thrive.

83. ukcatfanno1
    3:48 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

I really wanted to see Joker do good with the Cats but now it’s time to reevaluate his perforance, it’s not looking good. I really dont know why he keeps getting the same old run of the mill running backs that are small and can only pick up one or two yards the upper classmen wide receivers that drop the ball, Granted the ball has to hit their hands to drop it but this has got to stop. Newton came in to win some BIG time games then we get to watch him hand the ball off last season when we are up on western, what’s the deal Newton should have had some rust shake off games last year just to keep him on his game but what do I know I am only a fan. Our AD needs to address this but he will not, Brooks brought Football back to the Bluegrass and Joker has no clue as to how to push forward and build on it. #74 I do support this group of guys and wish them the best but to struggle against two non-BCS teams then loose to the E-ville northern team is just heart breaking. Randy Sanders is a great QB coach but play calling is not his thing, Joker couldn’t get it done either, we lost to Tenn. in close games because of the play calling and that’s only one of the team’s I can name. For Joker to say he will not listen to the fan’s is just obserd. Fan’s are what make a program and when the fan’s stop going to game’s then the program has to start listening, whether it wants or not. As for your thery on Brooks if you remember the program on probation and had a loss of scolorship players, Brooks rebuilt the program. Joker has takin a rebuilt program and took it backwards in just two years it is at the bottom of the SEC once again. Truth is truth face facts.

84. Number 8
    3:51 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Yes joker does have to take some of the blame but you still have to give the guy the rest of the year and next to try amd show he can do it. The real problem without this team is an absolutely atrocious offensive line, I mean what a joke. They can’t run block or pass protect, they have been dominated by three subpar d-lines. And Morgan newton is not looking much better by not being able to hit his receivers amd making plenty of poor decisions, looks like we should have tried to keep mossakowski. Newton looks like michael porter and Saul smith on the football field, clueless. The receivers are pathetic as well coming from drop city. The defense has been ok except for not being able to stop the run, but wait we never have been able to stop the run. The play calling could definitely be better but without players who can execute those plays they won’t work. The offensive players are just a bunch of pansies who can’t step up to the moment and play like men! Maybe joker should start calling them out instead of all the jerkwad fans calling out joker!

85. Kernel Sanders
    3:51 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

I just want you all to know that Joker and I had a man-on-man love affair a few years back. This is why I just can’t stand it when someone criticizes my little Joker-poo. And to the person who made the comment above about Joker showing his “vag,” I just want you to know that it is impossible for him to be showing his “vag” like you claim. He is strictly the boxers type, and thus keeps his vagina well hidden.

86. Ron Ron
    3:53 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Joker isnt a head coach…period! He has been handed the keys to a descent program and in a little over a year the program has declined. It isnt the players its the coaching!! We have the worst offense i have ever seen!!! Hey lets keep running QB sweeps with Newton on 1st down and lose 2 yrds…how many times did we do that Saturday?? At least 7 or 8! Until we try throw the ball vertically downfield, teams are going to put 9 in the box and not let us run. Fla. Int. torched Lville deep 3 or 4 times deep, I think we threw 1 ball over 30 yrds. Horribe coaching and play-calling…there are no excuses for an offense to be this bad! I feel bad for the Defense because they will be fed up with this offense by the end of the season…these next 3 weeks should be fun huh!?

87. ACC!
    3:54 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

ACC! ACC! ACC!

Then all you losers won’t have to argue about this. We’ll be just as good as every other football team in our conference.

ACC! ACC! ACC! ACC!

Let’s just rename the conference so we don’t actually have to say we’re in the ACC. Let’s call it the Eastern Athletic Conference or something like that.

88. DW
    3:56 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

The Joke is on us if we don’t get rid of that turd now…

89. Justin G.
    4:06 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

The shear fact that UK has a lot of EXPERIENCE, yet, the O-line to the receivers look like they have never played football, shows that Joker has no clue on how to fundamentally prepare, and motivate his players to be competitive in games. He can not blame it on playing a ton of freshmen, because he has experience everywhere.
    On top of all of that, when everyone in the stadium knows what the team is going to run, then UK might be in trouble! That to is totally on the shoulders the coaching staff! The player can only do so much, when the play called is an utter bust (3rd and long draws up the middle, with a line that can not do 1 thing right). Joker acknowledging in the UL post game conference that ” UK needs to run the ball more”shows he has no clue at what to do to fix this mess. UK being this bad, after months of practice since Spring, shows me that he has no hint in how to make players better.

90. Mr. Peepers
    4:25 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Im shocked that some of u take up for Joker. This team is awful, and thats being nice. All we hear is the recruiting classes are better every year and the program is on the RISE. What a load of crap. If WKU would have caught passes they would have beat us…oh yeah Indiana St. beat them 45-16 at WKU this week. I hate it for the kids because I think we have some talent. They are poorly coached and never motivated…hey joker how bout u show some fire over there on the sidelines and get your guys pumped. This is the worst offense ever…ever!! Playcalling is atrocious!!! If I see Newton run another sweep im going to punch someone! For those of u who think we are winning more than 4 games, please enlighten me on the other wins…

91. Mr. Peepers
    4:41 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

We have to throw the ball downfield!!!! No one respects our passing game and rightfully so. However, u will never have a running game when teams put 9 in the box and come after u down after down. Hey Joker, Sanders, u ever heard of a quick slant when teams are blitzing the shit out of u. When u throw the ball successfully, defenses will back off and the running game will emerge. The bad thing is joker is saying they have to get even more basic…if thats possible!! I hate that we play not to lose instead of going out there and trying to make plays. Joker gameplan is hoping the other team messes up and we get lucky. Bottom line, this is the worst team we’ve had in 5 yrs and there are no excuses. Joker is going to have a losing record in his 1st two seasons when this program was supposed to be headed up. No excuse!!

92. Inside Your Mind
    4:53 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Hey Joker, Nobody doubts your passion and love for Kentucky. We just don’t think you can coach. It’s that simple. You have everything else a university could ask for as their head coach but the actual coaching part. No, we’re not 0-3 but it sure as hell feels like it. Barely beating WKU and CM then laying an egg with UL at home is why. We’ll be 2-4 in 3 weeks. What will you have to say then??

93. JackNicklaus
    5:05 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Hey, I care about beer…alot. But it does not mean I have a clue on how to make it.

There has got to be an up & coming coach in the ranks…1-AA or wherever, that runs a clean program and an exciting brand of football. Hell, lets get that FIU coach…the dude was pumped up and so were his players.

94. Duck Fuke
    6:33 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

Mario Cristobol – FIU coach that’s a guy on the RISE , we need a coach like that

95. Eddie C
    7:50 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

I watched every botched run play and every play where Newton was rushed and sacked… Newton may have made some mistakes guys but he was the only brightspot besides our defensive 2man wrecking ball and EJ Fields so give it up with attacking Newton. Our O-Line is pathetic and caused us to lose the game #FACT. I watched our center and Warford jump off the line and they looked completely lost as the UofL front seven clobbered Newton. Coshik could not block a soul even though he had a couple of good plays. We need a line that (thought we had one) and a fullback with the ability to hit an SEC linebacker without getting a holding flag thrown in his face. Joker’s style of play might not be the most exciting but the playcalling is courtesy of a poor line. I hope Joker can produce 4 more wins because the fanbase is on the fence right now and we haven’t even started into conference play. We need to be like UT and get rid of Sanders at some point but the O-Line is the problem, if you don’t believe me watch the plays I mentioned and see how much time Newton has to throw and how small if any the holes are to run through. Running the ball is the key to winning in the SEC… see Bama & LSU.

96. Rob in Richmond
    7:53 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

I have no faith in Joker’s abilities. He keeps doing the same things, yet he is delusional about the results. Logic would dictate his has an inability to learn. How is that any more/less crazy than BCG? I do not support the coach because he is wasting our time. Did you hear his explanation for his 3rd down tactics at his press conference? With that theory, why not punt of 3rd down? It’s possible the back could fumble when he runs his one yard up the gut. Hell, why not punt on 1st down? There can’t be a turnover if you don’t have the ball. Seriously though, if he doesn’t forfeit the rest of the season, our quarterback could end up in the hospital. Someone is going to get seriously injured.

97. Markuk11
    8:20 pm September 19, 2011 Permalink

I think the play calling is the biggest problem. Joker should relieve Sanders of some of his responsibilities……..he plays not to lose instead of playing to win. Joker would take a lot more gambles when he was the coordinator.

98. Charlie "Muscles" Strong
    1:06 am September 20, 2011 Permalink

I love how UK picks a picture of Joker (..I own you) that parodies the intimidation factor I bring… Sorry guys! Still can’t have me – best bet is to cancel the rivalry and schedule North Georgia (the country) state.