Joker Approaching a Quarterback Decision

The big story out of today’s scrimmage was that Joker is close to announcing the starting quarterback. As Joker spoke to the media he said he would probably decide who had earned the starting job tomorrow. I would guess that decision will be told following practice on Monday after tomorrow’s day off. Word out of today’s practice says that Max Smith lead a 14-play 98 yard scoring drive, which featured eight runs.

One of the quarterbacks was apparently delivering strikes as La’rod King had two TDs, Demarco Robinson caught one, and so did a couple of freshman. Demarco Robinson is now two for two in the scrimmages making big plays which has Joker excited. Hopefully, those big plays will translate over to the real thing. Another note from the scrimmage said CoShik Williams sprained his foot. We can only hope the injury is minor with the season 15 days away and injuries already beginning to mount among the RB core which was expected to be one of the team’s strengths.

Article written by Andrew Cassady

Follow me @ACassady_KSR

13 Comments for Joker Approaching a Quarterback Decision

1. john4uk
    12:09 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

Injuries are a part of dootball,and also give UK an out.

2. john4uk
    12:10 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

I meant football.Dang fingers can’t spell.

3. Hal Mumme
    12:12 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

Smith = Chance… Newton = No Chance, Season Over… as wall as Joker’s coaching career..

4. kyboy1
    12:34 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

#3 if your formula is correct start Newtown

5. Tucker
    12:59 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

Hal mumme is so right.

6. Sammydog
    1:49 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

Joker and the team seem surprising loose and relaxed. I like our chances to surprise the Cards who are full of themselves. All the pressure is on them and Coach Strong to prove the their hype and what hype it is.

7. Matt in Franklin
    2:33 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

Those WRs better step up…our RBs are dropping like flies…

8. mores
    2:53 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

Gotta be Max Smith. I’m excited to see what the freshmen can give us at the skill positions this season. With Joker stating flat-out that Justin Taylor, Dy’Shawn Mobley, Demarcus Sweat and AJ Legree will all get playing time we ought to see some new blood out there.

9. katmandue2you
    5:21 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

#4…i thought Newtown was a pike, as in a road, as in the way outta Lexington to get to louisville. i say if you’re so anti-Joker that you want UK to lose so he can lose his job then why dont you go ahead and take your candy-ass on up Newtown Pike to I-64, head on over to louisville and find a coach over there to pull against.

10. Stan
    5:22 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

I won’t say it doesn’t matter,but whoever he starts, we better be competitive at Louisville. If they dominate us,the year will be hard to save. I know a lot of people say one game doesn’t make a season, but a blowout win by the cards would be hard to overcome. Here is to hoping that doesn’t happen.

11. Stan
    5:27 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

I can’t for the life of me understand why any fan would want us to lose. Don’t like Joker,that is your right.players are working hard every day, let’s give them a chance and support them. Joker isn’t my favorite coach either, but I will support the TEAM until they aren’t trying anymore. That happened a couple of times last year until they played their asses off against the Vols. I will give them another chance,I think the TEAM earned that.

12. kyboy1
    8:33 pm August 18, 2012 Permalink

#11……I am a uk fan. I have supported the program (basketball and football) for my entire life so please don’t tell me to go support L’Ville. Lets face the facts and the facts are $$$$. If the program can’t fill a stadium and are picked as low as 110 among all D-1 schools then we have a huge problem. Coach Brooks had this team going in the right direction and Joker has not shown any signs of improving our program but instead has taken us back a step.

13. kingrex
    12:08 pm August 19, 2012 Permalink

Does anyone remember if Brooks was really behind officially making Joker the Head Coach in waiting? It seems to me Joker may have been a decent recruiter and was a decent offensive coordinator. Unfortunately his resume was built off of Woodson, Little, Johnson, Tamme, Johnson and others. Could it be had Joker continued to be Offensive Coordinator for just two or three more seasons before Brooks retirement that we may have begun to see holes in his system? It seems Joker was an attempt to discover a head coach on the cheap. I hope they surprise some people this year.