Johnny Football Says Shut Up

If your head hasn’t exploded yet, YES THAT IS JOHNNY MANZIEL WEARING A TIM TEBOW JERSEY. This will probably be the focus of the 9,10, and 11am Sportscenter tomorrow.

There are a lot of people in this world who aren’t fans of Johnny Manziel. On the field, there’s no doubt that he’s a prodigy, he was the first Freshman ever to win the Heisman Trophy last season despite being ranked as the 393rd best recruit in his class. Off the field, plenty of people take offense with Manziel’s knack for partying and lack of ability to care what you think about it, but personally I love it. Manziel is 47 days younger than I am and if you put me into the middle of that circus at SEC Media Days last week I more than likely would have sweated profusely and probably cursed on national television at some point, so I give him credit for maintaining his composure in the face of hundreds of reporters asking him slight variations of the exact same question. If that doesn’t sell you on being #TeamJohnny then maybe his string of recent Twitter assassinations of his haters will change your mind, particularly this one featuring KSR favorite Pat Forde-Pitino.

Or how about Johnny Football reminding an Oklahoma Sooner fan of Texas A&M’s 41-13 win in the Cotton Bowl over the Sooners?

This all came about after video of Manziel being kicked out of a University of Texas frat party last night surfaced on Youtube and Deadspin among other places. This prompted Manziel to tweet that “Last I checked, it’s all about double digit win totals and championships” and “Just Win, Baby!!”. Manziel might be my favorite non-UK athlete in college sports right now, and I think Drew needs to make him an honorary member of #TeamNF

Article written by Will Totten

Born in Indiana and raised in Louisville, I am the unlikeliest UK fan.

66 Comments for Johnny Football Says Shut Up

1. chardun
    7:39 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

Why?

2. JLP
    7:43 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

“JF” is a certifiable jerk. I am sooo THANKFUL he doesn’t play for a team I care about. Can’t help but believe he will have an awful year as defensive players key on him.

3. Chums
    7:44 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

This says a lot about your maturity level Mr. Totten.

4. Bradley
    7:52 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

3. Bingo.

5. wow
    7:56 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

3-Well said.

6. UK
    7:56 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

Adults and media need to get off their moral high horse. Johnny Manziel is 20 years old. Yes he has to grow up some, but how would you deal with such a new found fame? I’m sure you never partied as a college student and that’s why you stand on your pedestal chastising kids from behind the keyboard on a blog.

7. cracka
    7:58 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

for all his crap, he better produce this year … there’s a tough year of sec football ahead and there’s tape out there for dc’s to watch

8. CPACAT
    8:09 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

Probably a good reason for the Heisman to only go to Juniors and Seniors.

9. Makers Man
    8:10 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

3 – right on
    2 – right on

If anyone on UK was acting this way I would hope he would get suspended. Yes, he is just a college kid, but he is also too stupid to realize his actions will cost him dearly down the road. Not everyone is blessed with his skill, unfortunately he reminds me of Marshall Henderson, and we all see how well that story is ending.

10. Bobbum man
    8:13 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

Marshall Henderson > Johnny Football

11. Kj
    8:16 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

The guy in the shades looks stupid.

12. PatPattersonISwalkingthruthatdoor
    8:18 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

(11) i was just about to say that he needs to be punched in the face. ultimate fratastic douchetard, right there.

13. Jonah Hex
    8:34 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

Well call him fratastic if you want, but it was a fraternity that kicked him out

14. James
    8:39 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

9. He’s already done more with his life than you’ve done with your’s. He’s also ten times the athlete that Henderson is, so that comparison is bunk. Manziel acts like a normal college student–he just happens to be the one with constant media coverage.

15. Loudog
    8:40 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

I played football 13 years and learned one thing, at some point in your football career you become humble or the humbled. I think SEC defenses will take care of Johnny’s ego.

16. WTF?
    9:14 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

This post is very indicative of why this site has, for me, becomes less and less important over the past year or so. It’s one thing to relish covering UK sports in the “most ridiculous manner possible” but it’s quite another to be little more than a site where any moron with a computer can post whatever happens to occur to them. While I don’t beleive this should be UK 24/7/365 I do think that if non-UK content is posted it should not just be random ramblings. I could care less what Will Totten, whoever then hell that is, thinks of Manziel. As to his performance at media days, hundreds of athletes have gone through media days with no problems. Just because you don’t believe you have the stones to do it doesn’t mean it’s difficult, it just means you can’t do it.

We’ll see about Manzeil when he has to go into every game with huge bullseye on his back after a summer of doing nothing as it relates to preparing to play QB in the SEC. I’m guessing that his summer of partying and not caring what others think about it might come back to bite him in the ass, especially when a pissed off Bama team rolls into College Station on Sept 14.

17. ohiocatfan
    9:15 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

The fact that you love this guy makes you a certifiable douchebag.

18. scukfan22
    9:16 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

He is only 20 and is trying to learn to deal with sudden stardom but aving said that he has openly accepted the spotlight. He hasn’t deflected some of it like others his age he has basically said “hey look at me” you can not put on joe namaths pants then turn around and say im just a kid leave me alone when you dont like the attention.

19. ohiocatfan
    9:17 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

14. JAmes- we all know now what kind kind of KID you were in college (or are right now), Now all college kids act like that. Just the frat turds.

20. OffTheWall11
    9:17 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

14. He hasn’t done jack squat with his life. He’s 20 years old. He’ll get a chance in the NFL but he may very well end up a total bust, as have many great college players. And even if he’s a HOFer it means nothing if he goes through life acting a fool all the time. I get that he’s a young guy whose every action is scrutinized but there are alot of other famous young athletes that aren’t in the news for getting kicked out of frat parties, being late for things, etc. Whether he or anyone else likes it or not, he cannot live like a normal college student. You sacrifice anonymity when you’re famous. That’s just part of the deal. If he doesn’t want people criticizing him or watching his every move then he should quit playing football and become an accountant.

21. Will Totten
    9:23 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

What has Johnny Manziel actually done wrong? He’s broken no laws, he just does what nearly every college kid in America does, it just so happens that there’s a camera on him whether he knows it or not. Who cares what he does with his personal life? I don’t, I like watching Johnny Manziel play football and could care less about the rest. That’s basically what he said “it’s all about Wins and Losses” and obviously whatever he’s doing is working for him. Kudos to him for not getting bent out of shape about other people getting bent out of shape about HIS life.

22. Kevin C.
    9:23 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

Dear Will Totten,

Johnny Football and I agree on 1 thing: SHUT UP.

P.S. STFU

P.S.S. Sincerely…Shut your f’ing piehole.

23. Wi Tu Hi
    9:24 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

They just showed a replay of their win at Bamma on ESPNU, Johnny Football is a great player. He does need to grow up like most people did from when they where 20 years old. But, if you think he got 5,100 yards of offense by accident last year you are wrong.

24. Do whut?
    9:26 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

If I were an Aggies fan I wouldn’t be nearly as upset with Manziel as I would be Kevin Sumlin. Nice leadership coach.

25. Ale8
    9:28 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, someone make this moron stop writing for the site. WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH KENTUCKY ANYTHING?

26. Andreas
    9:29 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

21) Hasn’t done anything legal? Last time I checked, “just because everyone else does it”, doesn’t mean that you are LEGALLY able to drink when you are 20.

27. scukfan22
    9:30 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

Sorry when you accept a role in the public eye where little boys all over texas and the country are watching your every move, you lose the childish ” its my life” bullshit. Grow up and be a good role model and a good citizen.

28. broseph lieberman
    9:31 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

29. cmon
    9:31 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

Will Totten is now a certified idiot.

30. scukfan22
    9:34 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

And i guess taking pictures smoking a blunt with the heisman trophy is legal? and drinking at 20 much less the example he sets for my 5 year old boy who loves football?

31. Do whut?
    9:35 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

#21 if he doesn’t get bent out of shape why the tweets? I guess I just haven’t walked in his shoes enough. Give me a break. You obviously aren’t familiar with the legal drinking age if you think he hasn’t broken any laws but then again you don’t care what he does off the field so I’m sure you would still be shaking your pompons if he were a rapist. And no I’m not comparing him to a rapist. Just taking your position to its logical conclusion. I assure you this is not at all average behavior for most college students. While many college kids behave like out of control booze hounds it isn’t nearly the number you think it is and it certainly isn’t a majority. If you only run in certain circles you tend to incorrectly think of the behaviors of those circles as the societal norm.

32. UK
    9:37 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

30) Why don’t you set the example for your kid. Blaming your sons future behavior on an athlete is like blaming a car for drunk driving.

33. pfife
    9:42 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

If Johnny played at KY, this board would be full of dorks saying “Yahtzee!”

34. scukfan22
    9:42 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

No its not i set a perfectly good example for him, i unlike mr johnny football practice good citizenship every single day, and have already discussed with my kids the types of role.models the should choose. That still does change the fact that kids are going to look up to manziel and a good man in that position chooses to set a better example.

35. scukfan22
    9:51 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

Besides im not worried about my son because he does have a GOOD MAN to look up to, i was using him as an example. There are millions of boys all over this country without fathers who choose athletes as their role models, and athletes should start thinking about that before they take pictures smoking blunts.

36. scukfan22
    9:55 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

And if you think being on a football team doesnt mean playing a significant part in your community especially with the youth in your community then your mistaken because even as a high school football player i was expected to be a good citizen as well as role model.

37. Kevin C.
    9:59 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

@ 33….Love how you glossed right over the most important part: HE DOESN’T PLAY AT UK. This isn’t ESPNradio.com , or TAMSR.com, or even SECR.com…it’s KENTUCKYsportsradio.com. If you’re going to publish an article about a non-UK/KY related person/school…it damn well better not be in the form of a bromance fanboy love letter, like this Will Totten crap.

38. Do whut?
    9:59 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

#35 I wouldn’t sweat it because #32 was just tackling straw men. He attributed statements to you that you obviously never made. And dollars to donuts he doesn’t have any kids if he thinks children live in some family vacuum where the influence of those other than their parents don’t have any effect on them. Ironically the definition of good parenting means trying to protect your kids from those bad influences.

39. JackB
    10:08 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

There is a big difference from needing some more maturity and growing up, and being a young, obnoxious dumba$$. Since when did we have to not only make excuses for boorish behavior from a 20 year old, but we also celebrate it?

I would be embarrassed if my 12 year old acted that way – much less my 20 year old.

Did I make immature decisions, drink a little too much sometimes, make an inappropriate joke in college? Yes. Did I not make a job interview b/c I wanted to get drunk? Did I miss work for the same reason? No to both. Did I publicly embrace and excuse my most obnoxious college aged behavior? No. I was embarrassed by it. Why? Because a decent person knows shame.

JF can play football. I hope he has no influence over my children.

40. JB
    10:23 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

I wonder how this will all play out for his future in the NFL? NFL Organizations are not going to want someone who has displayed a lack of maturity, and has a knack for hard partying.

Does anyone remember Kerry Collins?

41. Bradley
    10:23 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

Johnny Football is a really good COLLEGE quarterback. He’ll be Johnny Janitor in 4-7 years.

42. Andy
    10:39 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

This dude does not have shit on Henderson from ole miss. Now that dude is cray.

43. Why is my comment awaiting moderation
    10:52 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

Love how I have a perfectly normal post and am a fairly regular poster on here and my comments are awaiting moderation 3x in a row now. Yet I see numerous cuss words and trolls running wild all day. Keep up the good work KSR

44. wow
    10:52 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

What the hell has happened to KSR? I began reading KSR in 2007 (many of these new writers must have been in elementary school in 2007) and the quality of the writers has deteriorated to the point that it is now painful to read this site. Matt Jones, please, please improve the site because it is dying on the vine.

45. Will Totten
    10:55 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

Hatas gonna hate

46. Awaiting Moderation
    10:56 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

I can literally go through this comment section and put every comment in.. 2 groups, over 40 and under 40. Cracks me up how many people take the time to write on comment sections bullying and insulting a writer because he is a “douche” or because this is “non-uk news”…he is the writer, he can write whatever the hell he wants, if you dont like it, dont read and certainly dont take the time to comment. You people calling ppl him immature for liking JF need to take a look in the damn mirror. If you think JF isnt doing what 75 percent of college students are doing you need to get a better grip on reality. Everyone dogging him neexs to eat their crow and grow up themselves or get a life if the only thing you have to do.with your life at 11pm on a sunday is dogg on someone who wrote an articke in KSR that you.dont agree with….gtfo of here

47. Do whut?
    11:19 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

“…if you don’t like it, don’t read and certainly don’t comment,” would seem to apply to the comments section as well. Maybe you should take your own advice. Of course the position is patently absurd on several levels. Not the least of which is without my clairvoyance cap on I don’t know what article I will like until I read it. Also the writer has chosen to write an article and post it online where anyone with the capability to read it may do so. He also chose to post it on a website with a comments section. Therefore if the writer didn’t care to hear opinions from readers on his article he shouldn’t have posted it in such a public forum. Much like if Manziel doesn’t enjoy the microscope that comes from playing big time college football he should quit the team and join a flag football league up the street. Both made certain decisions and now must live with the ramifications.

48. Caftan
    11:32 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

I can’t believe you guys think Manziels immature actions are douchey and not super cool. I hope the next article is about someone even cooler like Jokim Noah.

49. wow
    11:40 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

If everyone is doing it, then hell yeah Johnny Football should do it too, right? People are shooting each other every night in Chicago, so I guess Johnny Football should do it too. Drugs are sold every day in every city so I guess Johnny Football should do it too. Women are raped every day, so I guess Johnny Football should do it too. SOME college kids do smoke pot, drink alcohol illegally, cheat on their exams, sexually assault coeds, commit armed robbery, some even commit murder…that doesn’t mean Johnny Football has to do it too.

#46) do you know how ridiculous it sounds to say that since 75% of students are doing it, then it is okay for Johnny Football to do it too? How about someone with loads of God given talent like Johnny Football, actually grow up and act like an adult and show some respect for himself and his University. And what does “You people calling ppl him immature for liking JF need to take a look in the damn mirror” even mean?

The point many of us are trying to make is that this site has fallen from it’s once lofty perch because as you put it “he is the writer, he can write whatever the hell he wants”–well that is the problem in a nutshell. This site now has too many writers who just write mindless drivel and the readers are waking up and demanding better.

50. Delk for 3
    11:45 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

He’s a kid having a good time. Quit hating on his life. He’s going to win ANOTHER Heisman Trophy this season. He’s THAT GOOD.

51. D. Kidd
    11:55 pm July 28, 2013 Permalink

Did you people know or even care That there were thousands of young men were killed in Nam at the ripe old age of 19 and 20 yrs old trying to serve their country and had to except that responsibility because they were drafted and didn’t have a choice of playing football or for that matter anything else that they had dreams of doing. Yet, you talk of this immature boy as if he has a right to be what he wants because of his skill set. Question, what is more important those brave young men or this wonderful athlete who has given nothing for us except excuses. To finish, these young soldiers will never see their dreams accomplished or their cause. Why, because the schools never tell the students about their sacrifice and the reason for their death because it isn’t important enough.

52. Awaiting Moderation
    12:05 am July 29, 2013 Permalink

49- I didn’t say that he SHOUldn’t do what other kids do. I’m saying he is no different than any other normal college student…difference being he has a cameras on him 24/7 whether he likes/knows it or not. He is 20, give the kid a break. I’m sure when u were 20 u were a book worm and an angel…

53. Awaiting Moderation
    12:06 am July 29, 2013 Permalink

*should

54. Wildcat_bigd
    12:19 am July 29, 2013 Permalink

First of all, I don’t even see a drink in his hand. Second, who gives a crap what jersey he’s wearing. Third, that guy to the left with the shades half off his fat head is a flaming douche!

55. scukfan22
    12:31 am July 29, 2013 Permalink

First off #46 i posted opinions that i guess you would think make me over 40 however i am a 26 year old Man who took responsibility/acknowledged the mistakes i made whne i was 20 years old. I didnt just brush them off as though it was acceptable because i was 20 yes i am willing to give leniancy to younger people who make honest mistakes then acknowledge that mistake and correct it. I will not however say it is ok because “he is just a kid”. It is only a mistake if you learn and grow from it, if not then thats just who you are. Secondly, if you accept the spotlight and choose to live in it, tweet about it, and make bad decisions in public then you better be prepared to acknowledge them as bad decisions and not make excuses. Third those 75% of college students are not a pulic representative of your school/team or your community, like it or.not when you sign up to play sports you acceptresponsibility for the way you represent said school/community.

56. wow
    1:56 am July 29, 2013 Permalink

@55 Nicely stated. I am tired of 20 year old MEN being called KIDS. A 20 year old is an adult. If they do not act like one, then it is time to grow the hell up and become one. If poor Johnny is so burdened by all the attention and scrutiny he receives, then why doesn’t he just quit football, change his name and transfer to another school and party like there is no tomorrow? I’ll tell you why, because he loves the attention.

57. Johnny Football is frat
    2:07 am July 29, 2013 Permalink

This cracks me up. Johnny is doing college right and you stiffs need to get a grip. College is one big rager and I feel sorry that y’all missed out on the fun, Johnny is making sure he doesn’t. To avoid becoming an anonymous curmudgeon comment section poster like the majority of y’all. Keep livin it Johnny Football your the freaking man.

58. Buckets
    3:13 am July 29, 2013 Permalink

All the old farts bashing Manziel need to get a grip and get lives. Last time I checked, it’s not football season. As long as he shows up ready to work and busts his tail during football season, it’s his right to have some fun. He’s a college kid doing what college kids do (except for all the stiffs bashing him in the media and this comment section. Losers). You’re only young once and it’s gone before you know it.

59. Buckets
    3:19 am July 29, 2013 Permalink

P.s. Tim Couch used to pound beers with his buddies across the street from my house on Park Ave. No. Big. Deal.

60. Buy Melanotan 2
    4:27 am July 29, 2013 Permalink

I’ve got study many good stuff right here. Absolutely really worth social bookmarking intended for returning to. I ponder the amount of attempt you add to build any such spectacular insightful web site.

61. Lori M
    8:14 am July 29, 2013 Permalink

Let’s be clear about something: Manziel isn’t handling “media scrutiny” well, he is actively and consciously seeking it out. The people who advise him, off the record of course, are breaking their necks to keep his name and face on SportCenter. He is the rowdy version of Tim Tebow with similar skills. When his weaknesses are exposed this year, and they will be, a certain portion of NFL fan bases are going to demand that their team draft the guy. Not because he has NFL skills but because some fans like his lifestyle. Tebow v2.0

62. Jack
    8:37 am July 29, 2013 Permalink

not sure whats worse, the Tebow jersey, or the other guy sporting the Pittsburgh Steelers Limas “drop it in the endzone” Sweed jersey. Wonder if that party had a theme, Failed Football Jersey Theme Party.

63. bbr
    9:48 am July 29, 2013 Permalink

well that just shows your level of maturity

64. bbr
    9:50 am July 29, 2013 Permalink

Matt, start getting some grown up writers on this site or risk going the way of the condor.

65. catfan
    1:21 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

I want what #60 is smoking

66. Student
    1:27 pm July 29, 2013 Permalink

I can’t believe all the hate on a 19 Old guy the same age as me. Its not like he’s getting DUI’s or hitting women or stealing or robbing, hes drinking a few beers like everyone else from our generation does in college. Everyone thinks the perfect role model has to be Tebow. Johnny football seems more like an average kid than Tebow or Mccaron(props to his girlfriend)Hes just havin fun as long as his productivity doesn’t drop and hes not getting arrested he’ll ne just fine