John Wall to work out with Gary Payton this summer

i

First he got a max deal, now he has a mentor. Per J. Michael at CSNWashington.com, John Wall will be working out with Gary Payton in Seattle this summer before heading back east for Wizards camp at the end of August. Payton, a soon-to-be Hall of Famer, sees a lot of himself in Wall, and wants to help him realize his full potential. In January, The Glove spoke to NBC’s Pro Basketball Talk about the former Cat, saying:

“First of all I struggled for three years… Really for two years, and then when George Karl got there (to Seattle) my struggles ended because I got a basketball coach that let me do what I wanted to do… Me and (Wall) have talked a lot on the phone. He has called me about the situation, the same situation (I was in) to learn about things, and I’ve been talking to him about things and I’ve been talking to him a lot…

With John Wall I think he understood that he has to get better and he has to go work out and he has to go improve on those things… I think if he knows he’s not good at something, he’ll go workout at it. And that’s what I respect a lot about him and a lot about his game. And I know he’s going to get better because I know he’s got the mentality that he wants to get better, he wants to learn from other people, he wants to take advice from people and he wants to get better.”

$80 million deal aside, this is somewhat of a make-or-break year for Wall. If he’s a budding superstar, he needs to make the leap now, as the window is closing otherwise. And it sounds like not only does Wall realize that, Payton does as well. So, seems like a good relationship to me. Mentor away, Gary.

Article written by Andrew McCarthy

12 Comments for John Wall to work out with Gary Payton this summer

1. Armpit
    5:03 pm August 5, 2013 Permalink

Good attitude. Some players just take their paycheck and don’t give a sh*t about legacy or simply getting better.

2. Garrett
    5:10 pm August 5, 2013 Permalink

I’m not sure Gary Payton’s the guy lol

3. gossie21
    5:19 pm August 5, 2013 Permalink

The Wizards should be able to make the playoffs this year. A lot of teams are happy to tank for the loaded 2014 draft. I’m not sure Wall can afford to do that. It would have been better if Washington could have had a better pick at #3 than Otto Porter (the SF and PF crop this year wasn’t very good).

At any rate, I expect John to have at least a small improvement this next season. I don’t know if the roster is solid enough to jump up into the top-4 of the league…. then again in the East you have Miami, Chicago, Indiana, and then a handful of good but flawed teams. So that 4th spot might be there if things break right.

4. Dwight Shrute
    5:33 pm August 5, 2013 Permalink

“somewhat of a make-or-break year for Wall.” False

5. really?
    5:49 pm August 5, 2013 Permalink

so the window is already closing for wall even though hes just 22 and just signed a MAX contract lol…. not to mention nearly turned the wizards around by himself after he returned from his injury this past season…. things a really looking glim for ole johnny wall.

6. Jughead
    5:55 pm August 5, 2013 Permalink

Wall was the only reason to go to a Wizzards game. The rest of the team was pretty much pizzwater.

7. Turrible
    5:56 pm August 5, 2013 Permalink

He averaged 18.5 PPG and 7.6 APG last year fighting injuries and this is make it or break it? This is turrible writing, even for a sports blog.

8. brain
    6:09 pm August 5, 2013 Permalink

Wall will be 23 next month so it’s early to be saying the window is closing. Stupid statement.

9. Bobbum man
    6:26 pm August 5, 2013 Permalink

You don’t give a max contract to a guy going into a “make it or break it year”

10. Summer
    5:16 am August 6, 2013 Permalink

THIS summer? Summer is almost over! lol

11. asdf
    8:54 am August 6, 2013 Permalink

Superstars don’t just come out and play. They ALL have to work on it to earn that status. They ALL have to improve to take the step from “really good” to “great”. It took even Lebron several years to get there, and a lot of it was fixing his attitude and maturing. Wall seems to have the completed that maturing process, and it will continue to reflect on the court.

12. Seriously
    10:56 am August 6, 2013 Permalink

Uh what window is potentially closing for him? He is 22 years old and averaged 18 and 9 on a bad team. The perception of Wall is really baffling to me, but I suppose it’s because some expected him to instantly dominate the league which almost never happens. But after last year he is now arguably a top 25 player in the league, and as stated is still very young. I don’t think his window is closing.