John Wall responds to not making ESPN’s 25 Under 25

ESPN.com ranked the top 25 NBA stars under the age of 25 and John Wall was nowhere to be found in the rankings.  Guys like Thaddeus Young, Ed Davis, Larry Sanders, Nicolas Batum and Ryan Anderson made the list, but the No. 1 pick in the 2010 NBA Draft did not.

Wall responded to being snubbed.  He told Michael Lee, “You win, people love you. You don’t, they got somethin’ to say about you. You still gotta guard me.”

Though Wall was left out, three other former Wildcats were included:

13. Anthony Davis

19. DeMarcus Cousins

25. Eric Bledsoe

Bledsoe is about to get paid.

ESPN.com: 25 Under 25 (Insiders only)

Article written by Drew Franklin

35 Comments for John Wall responds to not making ESPN’s 25 Under 25

1. First
    12:11 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

Did I make it?

2. Lose to WV in the Elite Eight?!?
    12:14 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

I’m still mad at you bro

3. JKUK
    12:14 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

It’s just because he was injured. He’s easily one of the better players under 25 in the NBA

4. Sean
    12:17 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

What has John Wall done to be included in the Top 25 Under 25? Seriously, he was over hyped in college anyway. But that aside, what has he done in the NBA? I’d take Bledsoe any day of the week over the so called “Great Wall of Kentucky”.

5. Ibescootch
    12:19 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

If there was a “25 Most Arrogant Under 25”, he would not be snubbed.

6. bill
    12:23 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

Well he’s been injured quite a bit and he’s flirting on being a bust. He’s too busy being a celebrity rather than putting the time in

7. VillanovaRulz
    12:24 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

The Wizards would be contending for a playoff spot if Wall hadn’t missed all those games. Bradly Beal benefits the most from Wall running the show.

8. DenimJersey
    12:24 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

Unbelievable how Kentucky fans are quick to bash their own players. You should all be ashamed, and hoope Mr. Wall gets it turned around. He’s gotten a shitty deal so far in the NBA. The lock out and injury have obviously slowed his progression. When he was healthy he was putting up fantastic numbers for a point. Wall is still one of my all time favorites to wear the blue and white.

9. emlang08
    12:30 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

#8 – They are not UK fans!

Career 16pts, 8 Assist and 5 Reb would compare to any of those in that top 25.

Wizards were 5-28 without him, 4-2 since his return! NO IMPACT!!! smh

10. SexnNursinHomes
    12:35 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

Mr. Wall,

Don’t feel bad, UK fans do it to their own kind all the time. You see Mr. Wall, when people get that feeling of entitlement and you don’t perform up to their standards, they will turn on you in a NY second. I know, I read KSR everyday and other than Trolls, I see nothing but the worst fan base in sports. Seriously hate our fans Mr Wall.

Good Luck and I’ll always root you on, you’re a UK guy and I got your back.

11. Thanks
    12:48 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

Thanks 8, 9 and 10. You bring some sanity.

12. ShagariObrzut
    12:53 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

Did someone say he was close to being a bust? In his first two seasons he averaged more than 16 points, 8 assists, 4 rebounds. He’s only 22 years old! If he can stay healthy and the Wizards get better (or Wall gets traded) he could be on track to have a very good career.

13. poythress=mashburn
    12:55 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

Blame Colin Cowherd. Ever since Wall’s first pro game when he did the dougie at his intro, Cowherd’s been all over him. But he has very good stats on a team w/ no other all-star talent.

14. Jon Lock
    12:55 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

John Wall would have easily been rookie of the year in 10-11 if it wasn’t for Blake “Second Year Rookie” Griffin. And Since his return the Wizards have actually been a really good team, where they were terrible before. He makes the players around him better, which is a requirement for being a great player.

15. ukfan
    1:03 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

Completely agree with 10 said.

16. ktmiln2
    1:07 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

The only people who think Wall is anywhere near being a bust are people who obviously don’t watch the NBA and get all of their opinions from the talking heads on ESPN. Here’s a tip, if you want actual news and information about sports, don’t watch ESPN.

17. ktmiln2
    1:08 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

Furthermore, am I the only one who thinks that numbers 4, 5 and 6 are probably the same poster?

18. Honestly
    1:12 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

Let’s just keep in mind, the bozos that make these lists are the same bozos that told us (or in some cases…continue to tell us) that Poythress will be a first round pick. I think that is a pretty solid way of assessing how meaningful these lists are.

19. Honestly
    1:13 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

Also….John Wall most likely banged the girlfriend of the guy that posted #4-6 (same poster).

20. Mama's Little Cupcake
    1:17 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

I don’t know anything about basketball, but I can take your butt on X-box! I hate John Wall and anybody that could tie me in knots on the court, so that qualifies me to comment on this blog. If you do not lead Kentucky to a NC, then earn all-star status in the NBA, and never get upset and make a negative comment about anyone else, or get in a fight with another player, or fail to return to Lexington to kiss my butt about what a great fan I am and how you love BBN, and how Lexington is the greatest and how you hate Duke and Louisville and Indiana and love Cal but hate Ricky . . . well, I hate you and you are a bust and you can’t play basketball and you are a failure in life, etc., etc., etc. Clear enough? Now get your act together, John Wall!

21. Cats in the NBA
    1:31 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

This is ridiculous. Ask the Washington Wizards front office and fans what they think of him. He has made that entire team better since returning from injury. The list is crap.

22. holler baller
    1:34 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

He’s still a young guy. Hopefully he’ll stay healthy and get a good lottery pick this year and show what he can do.

23. James K
    1:42 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

I saw this article, and I thought of John. I think this is just a case of ‘what have you done for me lately?’.

He’ll be fine.

24. Reality Check
    1:43 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

This is a fake list and does not really exist. We’ve all just been Te’od……..Bazinga!!!

25. the Big Dog
    1:43 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

I’ve got to believe that Wall was not helped by missing virtually all of this season to injury. I think if this selection was made a month from now he would have made it.

26. This list sucks
    2:00 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

Where is MKG?

27. STEVE!
    2:11 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

I care much more what our guys do at UK than in the NBA, and John Wall almost single-handedly won several games for us early in the season until the rest of the team started rolling. I will always be grateful to him for that. Having said that, he will be a great NBA guard once he gets some talent around him.

28. Dr. Funke
    2:11 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

I saw this list he other day, hat gets me is serge ibaka is in the top ten but cousins is number 19? Cousins > Serge in every statistical category. And Wall should def be on the list, those who are saying otherwise must not actually follow the NBA just look at what wall has done in just a few game this season.

29. Hey #10
    2:12 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

A bit harsh, no? And what the hell does that comment even have to do with this post? I’m pretty sure UK fans had nothing to do with this list. I’m also pretty sure that most UK fans love John Wall. Do we have a lot of idiots? Sure, but most of these comments disparaging him are trolls, learn to differentiate.

30. Sadat-X

Brandon Jennings
    Damian Lillard
    Larry Sanders
    DeAndre Jordan
    Ed Davis
    Eric Bledsoe

There’s seven point guards on that list, and to say that Wall doesn’t fit seems rather silly. He just returned from injury on the 12th… I suspect its a bit of short term memory, and a bit of the fact that the Wizards are not a team with a production ceiling as a PG. Damian Lilliard has had a great rookie season (Rookie of the month twice)… but everyone knows a straight up trade between Lilliard and Wall would be nuts.

Derrick Rose (injury aside) at 5th and Kevin Love at 8th seem to be even more concerning than Wall’s snub. Dumb list, and probably a silly interpretation of metrics like PER.

31. Sadat-X
    2:34 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

that should read:

the Wizards *ARE team with a production ceiling, rather

32. HeshimuEvans'2ndGradeTeacher
    3:38 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

The fact that Griffin is 3rd and ranked higher than Kevin Love lets me know how garbage that list is. Seriously, Serge Ibaka’s better than Love!? Also, Paul George, Demarcus, Damian Lillard and Brandon Jennings should be way higher.

33. Sadat-X
    3:49 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

Monroe probably should be placed a bit higher as well…

And I love Steph as much as any basketball fan does, but his crystal ankles should be a concern as much as D Rose’s injury and Wall’s on this list.

The whole thing is bunk.

34. Jeff Garlin
    4:07 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

Where is Daniel Ortin? LOL

35. Realest
    5:49 pm January 23, 2013 Permalink

Russell Westbrook, James Harden, and Blake Griffin are ahead of Derrick Rose = this list is garbage.