John Wall out two months with patella injury

It’s been a rough Friday for John Wall. The Wizards just announced that Wall will be out for eight weeks due to a stress fracture in his patella (knee cap).

The good news? Doctors caught it early, so he won’t have to undergo surgery. If his recovery goes according to plan, he could return around Thanksgiving.

In a statement released by the team, Wall vowed to be back on the court as soon as possible:

“My teammates and I are all excited to build on the improvement we made at the end of last season, and I know they will continue to make great progress while I get through this setback. I will work extremely hard to make sure I get back as soon as possible so I can re-join them and help our team continue to improve.”

Get better soon, John.

11 Comments for John Wall out two months with patella injury

1. Pitino's bald spot
    1:41 pm September 28, 2012 Permalink

Come to the Kraft Center to re-hab, Young Wizard.
    You are always welcome here!

2. Liberalboxxi
    1:55 pm September 28, 2012 Permalink

Sounds like we now know why he didn’t play in the alumni game.

3. kdh2011
    2:04 pm September 28, 2012 Permalink

Same thing that happened to Blake Griffin his rookie year. Those two months turned into a full year.

4. Jax Teller
    2:41 pm September 28, 2012 Permalink

Drop Reebok young fella. Drop them fast.

5. katzrjmaers
    3:00 pm September 28, 2012 Permalink

Makes me very sad but hopeful for recovery also. Do what the doc says, don’t rush it, you still have years of NBA ahead, no need to rush it or be
    the hero. Keep working at that jumper and you can stay away from those 6’10” + beasts at the basket that can hurt you. If you ever need a safe retreat,
    Lexington, Ky. is your second home.

6. James K
    3:15 pm September 28, 2012 Permalink

That’s one of the more painful sports injuries, and hard to feel comfortable about later on. Hope John can bounce back.

7. Jus Sayin
    3:17 pm September 28, 2012 Permalink

This is not a good sign… He is 22.

8. Jones Returns
    3:27 pm September 28, 2012 Permalink

This could have been his senior year…

9. Uk fan
    3:50 pm September 28, 2012 Permalink

Hope everything works out. With Greg Oden, Blake Griffin and Brandon Roy, I worry about this injury. I hope John can get back on the court soon.

10. James K
    4:24 pm September 28, 2012 Permalink

I could be wrong, but the surgery that Oden, Mashburn, Roy, Webber, Allan Houston and Stoudemire all had is different than a patellar stress fracture. I think the one you’re referring to is the microfracture surgery, which is due to a lack of blood circulation to the cartilage in the knee joint, causing a lot of grinding and lack of range of motion.

That’s much worse than a patellar stress fracture. Also, Blake Griffin has issues with his meniscus, which is similar and just as serious, just not EXACTLY the same. Griffin is damaged good at this point, in my opinion.

11. Kyle
    8:09 pm September 28, 2012 Permalink

I hate to see this. I’ve had patella problems on and off the past year, it’s annoying and painful. I hate to say this, but this is what happens when you spend the offseason going around the country playing lockout games and streetball. Stay in the gym and do the things that are going to make you better, and all under trainer supervision. I’m not saying this wouldn’t have happened if he hadn’t played all the Drew/Gooden leagues and whatnot. But I haven’t heard reports of him getting much better over the offseason like I’ve heard about Brandon Knight this off season.. Has anybody seen him play in any game this year? No. He’s in the gym doing what his coaches tell him to get him better. What has LeBron been doing? Training. Yeah, he played a couple charity games, but he’s been training with KD most off season. Kobe? He’s in the gym. McGee and Stoudemire? Working with Hakeem. We’ve all been hearing reports all season on how much better all these guys are improving, and staying healthy. The offseason is when you get better, not go to Rucker Park and try and show off infront of a bunch of 16 year olds.