John Wall openly calling for the Wizards to draft Anthony Bennett?

Hawks  v Wizards

Ok, here’s the deal: for the second year in a row, the Washington Wizards have the 3rd overall pick in the draft. And with John Wall and Bradley Beal already in the fold, whomever Washington takes this year will ideally give the franchise three young stars to build around for the foreseeable future– In the sports world, as in high school biology, that’s what’s called a nucleus. So, basically, Washington is potentially sitting pretty right now.

Still with me? Cool. Moving on– In addition to owning a top 3 pick, there’s also a player that everyone in the DC area wants the Wizards to draft. And I mean everyone; Season ticket holders. Sportswriters. Bloggers. Congressmen. Public school kids. Private school kids. Lactose intolerant kids. Lactose tolerant kids. Parents. Teachers. Janitors. Everyone. Ev-ery-one. You see, a dude named Otto Porter played his college ball down the street at Georgetown, and he’s beloved inside The Beltway. Plus, guess what? Barring a major shakeup at the top, Porter should slip to the Wizards in the 3-spot. So, Porter-to-Washington. Done deal. Sounds pretty perfect, right?

Wrong.

Yesterday, in an interview with The Washington Post, our own John Wall was asked about the No. 3 pick and who he thought his franchise should pick. He began by answering diplomatically, saying: “I don’t know. It’s up in the air right now.” Which was good. But then he finished with: “I feel like we need a four man that can pick and pop, so we’ll just see.” Which was bad. Or bad for Washington management, at least. Because anyone with half a brain knows that he’s talking about Anthony Bennett there. It’s no secret that Wall needs a reliable, athletic big– and Bennett will be there at 3 when the Wizards are on the clock.

So, what just happened? Basically, Wall read the tea leaves and realized that his team was about to draft a skinnier, less athletic, and slightly shorter Jeff Green. Fully aware that that’s not exactly what the team needs– And, also, that he’s a franchise player– he decided to tip his hand as to who he did have in mind. Publicly. And guess what? He was right to do so. Porter is the better pick for selling tickets. Bennett is the better fit to play alongside Wall and Beal. So, good for him for covering his bases and going through the media this time around.

And just like that, our boy is all grown up. John Wall is officially acting like an NBA superstar– And I, for one, could not be prouder.

@McCarthyKSR

Article written by Andrew McCarthy

19 Comments for John Wall openly calling for the Wizards to draft Anthony Bennett?

1. Blue
    7:53 pm June 2, 2013 Permalink

Wall is my boy! He is dead on. Bennett is a stud. He would be a great pick, but Im holding out hope that Noel falls to three somehow. Cats taking over the NBA

2. Merlin's
    7:54 pm June 2, 2013 Permalink

If you’re comparing otto porter and Jeff green I don’t think you’ve watched either play. That being said porter and bennet are two o the best players available anywhere in this weak draft

3. Could care less
    8:15 pm June 2, 2013 Permalink

Once they leave UK, I wish them the best…..and root for the next UK squad that laces them up……the NBA is unwatchable until the playoffs.
    Go cats!

4. Wildcatsteeler
    8:23 pm June 2, 2013 Permalink

From the sounds of things Noel will still be available then.

5. ukinhc
    8:28 pm June 2, 2013 Permalink

Wall is a competitor and wants to win… His opinion is probably spot on since I am sure he is tired of losing.

6. mudcreekmark
    9:16 pm June 2, 2013 Permalink

I think Wall has a break out season next year and becomes an All Star. They are only a couple of players away from being a playoff team. I just don’t know that this draft has anyone that can make an immediate impact. Bennett would probably make more sense than anyone though.

7. Han
    9:32 pm June 2, 2013 Permalink

Wall showed at the end of this season that he is a superstar. Washington needs to show him they’re serious about being a better franchise. Otherwise, he’ll get out of town when his contract’s up.

8. trigga
    10:01 pm June 2, 2013 Permalink

Does anybody else think they’re checking out some girls’ ass?

9. Wettestjumperaround1
    10:07 pm June 2, 2013 Permalink

An em dash is what you’re looking for. – not –

10. Knowthesaying
    10:47 pm June 2, 2013 Permalink

3. It’s I couldn’t care less. But thanks for trying to be clever.

11. Austin
    10:55 pm June 2, 2013 Permalink

6. I agree that Wizards have a good shot at being a playoff team next year. Milwaukee looks like they will take a big step back. Boston and Atlanta could potentially blow things up. If both Boston and Atlanta blow it up, the Wizards would almost surely be a playoff team. If the Bucks are the only team to take a step back, then it might be pretty tough competition for the #8 seed. Toronto, Philly, Detroit and especially Cleveland should be much improved next year as well. The Wizards making the playoffs would come down to the health of Nene, Wall, and Beal, and how much this draft pick can contribute.

If all those things work out then the Wiz will be in the playoffs. If not, it could be another year in the lottery.

12. Austin
    11:11 pm June 2, 2013 Permalink

Also, I don’t see commentating on what your team should do with a draft pick as cementing your status. It is more like, the Wizards front office is so bad, that he felt the need to give his two cents. I can’t say I blame him. I think a player like Bennet has more potential to help Wall reach his full potential. Porter is a safe pick and fills a need as well. I agree with Wall’s point that they need a pick and pop PF to compliment what they already have. That kind of player can have more of an impact than a slightly above average SF (Which is what I think Porter is)… I think both positions aren’t THAT hard to feel, so the Wizards should be in good shape,

They have a really clean ledger after next year as far as the salary cap goes. The Ariza and Okafor contracts will come off the books. They will have room to sign a Max free agent, as well as assets to make a potential sign and trade. A lot of people are looking towards Cleveland as the best fit for LeBron to go after next season, but Washington has to be in that discussion as well. I would give the Cavs a slight edge since Bron could go home and repair his image and the Cavs have even more cap flexibility to add a second Veteran star, but I think Wall + Beal + Bennett + Nene (Probably too old to be included in this discussion) is just as good of a nucleus as what the Cavs have in Kyrie + Nerlens + Waiters + Thompson.

I think most people favor Kyrie over Wall, but I think it is close. I get that Kyrie has been better to this point, but I think the debate gets a lot more interesting this year. Wall has the size and athleticism that could give him a head to head edge over Kyrie, similar to how Derrick Rose can abuse Chris Paul.

13. chief_cat
    11:16 pm June 2, 2013 Permalink

If ownership actually listens to John and drafts accordingly, it will be one of the few good moves they’ve made since drafting Wall and Beal. I had big hopes for the Wiz when Ted Leonsis bought the team. So far, he’s been all talk, no follow through. Maybe Wall’s comments will catch his attention – but I doubt it.

14. Austin
    11:50 pm June 2, 2013 Permalink

Look at it like this. Wizards will have Max cap room after next season. Nene’s contract will expire by the time they would have to pay both Wall and Beal the max, so they can afford another max guy after that year.

Carmelo Anthony, Lebron James, D Wade, Luol Deng, Danny Granger, Rudy Gay, Pau Gasol, Zach Randolph, and Chris Bosh could be Free Agents that year. I think both Anthony Bennett, and Otto Porter can play with anybody on that list.

Also, there would be tons of trade options as well. They have Okafor and Ariza as expiring contracts. That could help get someone a team wants to get off their ledger to avoid tax consequences. There are going to be several teams looking to dump salary.

Prediction: Wizards take Porter, and trade Ariza, Trevor Booker and A future lotto protected first rounder for someone like Paul Milsap.

That would give the Wizards a lineup of Nene, Milsap, Porter, Beal, and Wall. That team could battle Brooklyn for the 6 seed in the East, but will not stack up to the top echelon teams.

I would want to stay as flexible as possible for the 2014 Free Agency. I’d take Bennett and keep my cap space open for 2014. That would have a higher reward, and not really much risk. You would probably end up missing the playoffs again, but next year’s draft is loaded. The #12 pick in that draft could end up being better than your #3 pick this year. Also, you would have the flexibility and assets to make one or two big time moves. They could be a potential destination for a duo that wants to play together, similar to the Miami Big Three. And if that doesn’t work out, you can just sign Luol Deng or Paul Pierce to a contract. You would be just as good a year later as you would if you push your chips in the middle of the table this year.

15. Bobbum man
    3:00 am June 3, 2013 Permalink

12,14- jeez dude…. Wizards fan?

16. Otees
    4:30 am June 3, 2013 Permalink

The Wiz have been a couple of players away from being a playoff team for the last 30 years

17. Austin
    9:06 am June 3, 2013 Permalink

15. I love talking about the NBA. I am most definitely a dork in that regard. I really don’t have an NBA team, but I love the game and I really like the personnel side of things. I am as much a fan as that side of things as I am the game itself.

Also, I am studying for the bar exam and I will latch on to any distraction.

18. BS
    9:11 am June 3, 2013 Permalink

Or he is insinuating he would like the Wizards to trade the number 3 pick to Sacramenton for a pick and pop 4 of Big Cuz. With Cuz’s size and athleticism, he is be a 5 or a 4.

19. Austin
    12:13 pm June 3, 2013 Permalink

I think Sacramento would want more for Boogie. Possibly if The Wizards include the Okafor and Ariza contracts and take back Chuck Hayes, Jason Thompson, and Marcus Thornton. All three of those Kings have contracts most teams probably would not want to pay. Okafor and Ariza expire after next year, so the Kings end up having all kinds of cap room to do a lot of different things. If the Kings want to blow things up, they could get REALLY bad next year by making this move. Next year wouldn’t be a bad time to do that.

The Kings made a good coaching hire in Malone. I am not sure if blowing things up is the direction they will want to go in.

David Stern promises teams the #1 pick when they get new owners, so the Kings could be looking at Andrew Wiggins, and Victor Oladipo to build around, as well as whoever they get with the #7 pick this year. I would be tempted to take Oladipo and Zeller. I hate IU, but they are good players. Zeller gave Davis a tough time last year.

Kings would completely change the culture of their team, which isn’t a bad thing.

They would still be bad for a few years, but if you draft well you could build the foundation through the draft. I think that is the way to go with this mis-matched team. Plus, I think Wizards would jump at the chance to reunite Boogie and Wall. Thompson, Thornton and Hayes wouldn’t be bad players on a good team, they are just wasted on the piss poor Kings.

The only thing is the Wizards cleaned house with all the head cases lately. Most people think you can handle one head case and get away with it. Plus, I think Cousins will be a ton better if he is in the right situation. If the Wizards want to push their chips in this offseason, this would be the best move they could make.