Wizards fire Flip Saunders

Calm down, John

Yahoo! Sports is reporting that the Washington Wizards have fired head coach Flip Saunders after the team’s 2-15 record to start the season. According to Adrian Wojnarowski, Wizards management has talked to assistant coach Randy Wittman about taking the interim coaching job, but nothing is official yet.

First it was Boogie and Paul Westhphal. Now John Wall needs a new a coach.

Jorts and Mike D’Antoni could be next.

Article written by Drew Franklin

21 Comments for Wizards fire Flip Saunders

1. pioneer
    11:50 am January 24, 2012 Permalink

Bout time, they are god awful!

2. Eloy
    11:50 am January 24, 2012 Permalink

I need to ready my resume. What kind of experience/schooling could substitute for NBA coaching experience?

3. Mark Wilson
    11:52 am January 24, 2012 Permalink

The guy in the $800 jumpsuit deals with Flip Saunders…..C’MON!!!!

4. VOTE
    12:00 pm January 24, 2012 Permalink

Don’t let the West Virginia guy or Thomas Robinson beat Anthony Davis!!!

5. MN CAT
    12:12 pm January 24, 2012 Permalink

Flip Saunders–next coach of the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

6. UKBlue
    12:17 pm January 24, 2012 Permalink

Two horrible franchises that will never be good, next.

The Knicks job scares me for Cal; Cal does have one thing in common with Pitino that he should also learn from Pitino, they are both college coaches, not NBA coaches. Hope Cal Ego doesn’t get too big & he thinks he can just leave UK & jump back into the NBA & be successful, just ask Rick how well that career move went & has gone for him.

The fastest way to get fired, go coach a bad NBA team.

7. Rick Pitino
    12:26 pm January 24, 2012 Permalink

#6 – Cal doesn’t have to learn from me. He can learn from himself, he stunk it up and was fired by the Nets, remember. Now, I will give you that Cal has an extremely large ego. Just hope for UK’s sake, he can keep it in check. Something tells me that Cal will try to one-up me (yet again) and try to succeed at the nba level.

8. Bledsoe's Biceps
    12:28 pm January 24, 2012 Permalink

About time. It appears this team had already quit on him. But it will take more than a new coach. They really need more talent, if they hope to compete. I still can’t believe they picked up Rashad Lewis in the off season. Averages 4 rebounds and 9 points for $21 mil per year. smh

9. Rick Pitino
    12:31 pm January 24, 2012 Permalink

PS. I am removing my name for consideration for the Washington Wizards head coaching position. My wife and I are the happiest we have ever been, right here in Louisville Kentucky. I would like to advise the Wizards that they should take a look at a young coach from right here in Kentucky, John Claipari. Please, PLEASE, offer him the job, I’ll even chip in a mil or two if you hire him… PLEASE.

10. Sammydog
    12:35 pm January 24, 2012 Permalink

Cal will not leave UK anytime soon so don’t worry about the NBA. Cal wants to secure his legacy on the college level and become a HOF coach. He will have no better place to do that than UK and he knows this well. He has been trying his whole life to reach the top and he won’t leave it for the NBA just yet. Eventually but not now.

11. Calipari'sInYourEar
    12:39 pm January 24, 2012 Permalink

As if anyone could win with the Wizards roster.

Go take a look… it’s REALLY BAD.

12. BigBlueFan31
    12:42 pm January 24, 2012 Permalink

This is the worst thing that could happen for us-UK fans that is. Why? Cal would definitely be tempted if he were offered the job knowing that Wall is already there and they will have the #1 pick where he can take either Davis or MKG and possibly get Lamb later in the draft. I don’t like this at all. If we were to win it all, I could see Cal leaving. I hope not, but it would be a great situation if offered.

Personally, I think the UK job is better than ANY NBA job. Just ask Pitino.

13. kdh2011
    12:44 pm January 24, 2012 Permalink

Fun Fact: Wall eliminated Wittman’s kid Ryan and Cornell from the tourney.

14. Dan DICKitch
    12:45 pm January 24, 2012 Permalink

Drew!!!? Where’s U & Granny’s picks for today! I need money!!5 ouuta 6 last niht goin against ya! 🙂

15. What Goes Around
    12:49 pm January 24, 2012 Permalink

Not too unusual. Lottery teams normally are really bad, so the life expectancy for a coach is pretty short. Getting one very good lottery pick isn’t enough to turn a team around.

16. Ned Chase
    1:12 pm January 24, 2012 Permalink

Will Davis be a Wizard next year? If so you better believe they will be knocking on Cal’s door. I don’t think he would go, but they will be offering.

17. cristoforouk
    1:13 pm January 24, 2012 Permalink

12 – You are insane man. That is NOT a good situation to walk into. They need a hell of a lot more than Wall and Davis or MKG. They will be a losing team for quite some time. If I were Wall, I would just be counting down the days until my contract is up.

People need to cool it on Cal to NBA. Not gonna happen. I actually don’t see it happening ever. Yeah he has a big ego, but he knows where his strengths lie. Some of his antics wouldn’t go ever so well at the pro level, and that’s probably why he flamed out with the Nets. He can coach like he wants at UK and he is a king. Also has the best chance to cement his status in NCAA history. Unless the Knicks make some major trades, that situation is not very attractive either.

18. BigBlueFan31
    1:49 pm January 24, 2012 Permalink

17.
    No, I am sane. I said it would tempt him. I didn’t say I think he would. But, the reason I say this is because of how he has mentioned the fact his stay here might not be as long as we think. Why? Because we are 19-1 and fans are complaining about this, that, and the other! If we don’t win every game by 25 “something is wrong with them.” So, at some point that will wear on him.
    Let me refresh your memory. Who was in Boston when Rick left? Antoine Walker. Who did rick draft? Walter McCarty. Didn’t he bring Wayne Turner in to?
    I hope he doesn’t leave and Washington is not ideal, but having two former players, who would be your best players, that you have good relationships with would make it intriguing in my opinion. I really think he would go to the Knicks before the Wizards though.

19. Abe Froman
    1:58 pm January 24, 2012 Permalink

Calm your tits. Calipari isn’t leaving UK any time soon.

20. b-k
    3:44 pm January 24, 2012 Permalink

Wizards season ticket holder here (one of the few). And I can assure you Cal would not take this job, unless he’s off his rocker. Right now this is easily the worst organization in the NBA and one of the worst in all pro sports. They have a decent owner (Ted Leonsis), but lack talent and direction. Even if they get Davis next year, they will still be in rebuilding mode for several years. Can’t imagine Cal would leave the best college job for the worst NBA job.

And #8, the Wizards didn’t pick up Lewis in the off-season, in the middle of last season they traded Arenas’ huge contract for Lewis’ huge contract. It was actually a small victory for the Wizards. As to why the Wizards didn’t use the NBA’s amnesty this off-season to drop him, I don’t know, except to say that they probably couldn’t sign anyone else, regardless of cap space, so they figured if they were going to pay him, they may as well keep him on the roster.

21. Vito Van Damm
    6:03 am January 25, 2012 Permalink

I am embarrassed for John Wall every time I see this clip.