John Wall gets paid and gives $1 million back to charity

BQmhmU4CUAEwWlp

During the press conference announcing his 5-year $80 million contract extension, John Wall announced he was donating $1 million to Washington D.C. charities.

Congrats to an all-around class act.

21 Comments for John Wall gets paid and gives $1 million back to charity

1. TDog
    2:45 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

For some reason I just can’t imagine all the trolls last night on the Marquis Teague post posting here.

2. Bobbum man
    2:53 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

1- and by marquise Teague you mean Terrence jones?

3. Young Gun
    3:17 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

I wonder what ol’ Bobby Knight has to say about this.

4. Sean
    3:23 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

What a thug.

5. goUKats
    3:31 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

I wish he would make a similar donation to UK.

6. Chicago Chris
    3:54 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

Look, this stuff is planned. It’s no knock against JW because he’s following good advice. They still make a big deal of Aaron Hernandez giving money to charity right after his contract was signed.

7. Kyphil
    4:04 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

I bleed blue to the heart but when will these guys or coach Cal give back to our community ? Rather its here in Lexington or eastern ky etc.Our fans support coach Cal and players by all means. Alumni games , autograph sessions , sec and ncaa tournament. Some of us give our very last dime to purchase tickets , jerseys and support them. Give our communities something in return !!

8. schwing
    4:14 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

should be required for everyone, not just pro athletes. you made $20 million? $1 million to charity.

9. Megan
    4:16 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

It’s an awesome gift, but let’s not overlook the tax implications. He’s not actually out $1M. John’s donation will save him about $400K on his taxes next year. So he’s really out about $600K, Uncle Sam is out about $400K, and the charity is $1M the richer. I live in the area and give to DC charities every year. In amounts that now seem incredibly pitiful, but which I know will still do some good.

What enquiring minds what to know: When is John going to marry that friend he lives with?

10. Wildcatsteeler
    4:17 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

@7 Because Lexington didn’t give him 80 million dollars? Cal spent the last 2 years traveling by bus to nearly every city in the state. The players come back and do these games and camps for next to nothing.
    And hey, it’s a solid red rightwing state so it’s not allowed to accept any handouts. Except the millions it gets from the federal government of course.

11. Kyphil
    4:23 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

As fans we give money and support !!! Tubby had free basketball clinics and gave to community centers ( computers, books etc). Mashburn gave scholar ships.

12. Heisenberg
    4:50 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

10 – are you kidding me? The schools isnt allowed to accept donations because majority of the KY population are conservatives?? What world do you live in? Why do think the buildings on campus have the names that it does on the front of the building. They don’t draw out of a hat to see who’s name goes where.

But I do agree, it was the wizards who gave Wall the contract, he is giving some back to the city. He has lived there longer than he did Lex. And I am sure those charities enjoy any funds they get, so people need to get off his back about how it is not enough, geez, be greatful he does anything.

13. Kyphil
    5:10 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

12) I agree and I’m not singling out Wall. I’m just saying a free basketball camp or helping a local church or community center would be nice

14. J IRS
    6:44 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

Meh….he donated 1.25% of his salary. There are people who make close to nothing giving 10-15% to churches and charities. Hardly a sacrafice. This is Fluffer story BS sold on the word million. Lame.

15. wolfcreekbrian
    7:14 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

@14 I’m one who gives a good part of my salary to my church. But that just me, feel blessed to do so. Don’t knock these guys, every little bit helps. They might see the good it does and give more in the future. Good example for others to follow. @Heisenberg, well said, I agree with you.

16. Mike
    8:05 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

The man donated a million dollars to charity. Give him a break you bunch of a holes. He played his heart out for the CATS. You should be praising him not putting him down. How can you call yourselves UK fans. Good job John make Kentucky proud. Go CATS!

17. bballdoc
    8:13 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

This is to #14
    Meh to you too. He can do what he wants with his money and he’s giving some of it away. He isn’t obligated to tell you and me what he does with the rest but I bet this donation isn’t the only one. Hey, how old is John Wall? What percentage of your income were you donating at his age?

18. stubeycat
    8:29 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

This makes me proud to call myself a part of BBN!!

19. Dr. Tom
    9:13 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

Come on folks, be easy on John. In time I’m sure he will partition a few million toward UK and the state of Kentucky. My goodness some are so quick to turn on our guys. He will probably also give some to communities in NC where he grew up. Enjoy the fact that he is one of ours and a lot of communities will surely benefit from his success.

20. jmfatz47
    10:51 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

Y’all are a bunch of flakes for talking shit. Who cares what % of his salary it is? Its more than most people donate from their mega contract the DAY AFTER. Its a million dollars. He didn’t have to donate SHIT but he did. Bunch of idiots on here

21. AwardwinninRob
    2:02 am August 2, 2013 Permalink

This is what I hate about UK basketball, these guys are given the world in the palm of their hands and give next to nothing back financially. All D.C. needs is more hand outs, wake up guys and give to Africa, Haiti, Portugal, anywhere but D.C. bro.