John Robic’s Friday News And Views

If there was any one positive from UK’s 2012-13 basketball season, it was this picture

There are many reasons we love John Robic here at KSR. First and foremost being that we’ve heard that he likes us as well, that’s a quick way to find a way into our hearts. We love that he’s been an assistant basketball coach with John Calipari for 18 seasons, first at UMASS, then Memphis, and then for the last 4 years at Kentucky with a head coaching stop at Youngstown State jammed in between from 1999- 2005. You thought I forgot about the hair didn’t you? Of course not. My god is it a beautiful sight to behold:

In all seriousness, in approximately 1 hour Robic turns a ripe young 50 years old and we here at the KSR compound, which as of this moment is located in my basement, would like to send a big “HAPPY BIRTHDAY” shout out to Coach Robic. Thank you for reading!

1ukwildcatsbasketballkentuckylogo1Biggest news of the day came on the basketball recruiting front when former UK basketball player James Blackmon Sr. told the Lexington Herald-Leader that his son, James Jr., had received a scholarship offer from his alma mater since he decommitted from Indiana and plans to make an official visit to Lexington in the near future. James Blackmon Jr. is a 6’3 SG that is ranked the 33rd best player in America by Rivals.com, and the 25th best prospect by ESPN. Along with UK, NC State, UCLA, Michigan State, Florida State, Oklahoma State, Memphis, Florida, Connecticut, Purdue, Minnesota, and Marquette have all offered the youngest Blackmon but the majority opinion seems to be that Blackmon Jr.’s decommitment will be good news for Kentucky as all 15 contributors for 247Sports have predicted him to eventually choose Kentucky. Not to mention the sweet-shooting Blackmon is an AAU teammate of fellow UK target Trey Lyles Watch a Wildcat legacy hoop below, if only just for the reason that he was smart enough to slide away from IU.

1ukwildcatsbasketballkentuckylogo1Our website’s fearless leader Matt Jones will be working with WKYT in Lexington providing commentary for their 11pm news broadcasts. You read that right, KSR is now making it’s move on nighttime cable news TV. Here’s the press release from WKYT, read it and then email them explaining that saying “KSR Radio” is akin to calling a device an “ATM Machine”.

WKYT-TV in Lexington, KY announces today that for the 2013-14 sports season, Matt Jones, from KSR Radio, will again provide commentary during the station’s weekday 11:00pm newscast. In addition, Jones will also contribute segments for the station’s 4:00pm weekday newscast. Jones’ commentary segments will begin airing on August 19th and run through the conclusion of the 2013-14 college basketball season.

Jones’ unique insight into the University of Kentucky football and basketball programs, as well as the other universities and colleges throughout the state of Kentucky, along with his creative sense of humor, will provide viewers with an informative and entertaining look into college sports.

Jones’ KSR radio show can be heard on 23 radio stations throughout the state of Kentucky as well as streaming on the internet. KSR Radio is the largest independent sports blog in the United States with over 200,000 hits per day.

1ukwildcatsbasketballkentuckylogo1Randall Cobb will more than likely be the best football player out of the University of Kentucky for quite some time, and has turned out to be an elite WR/Kick Returner/Punt Returner/H-Back/Team Physician/Assistant GM at the next level as well. Cobb is an official spokesman for UnderArmour these days, and the company put out a minute and a half long commercial of Randall celebrating his Alcoa, Tennessee roots. More Youtube videos!

Some quick notes from Fan Day at Commonwealth Stadium:

— According to the tweets from different media members at the event, Jalen Whitlow stood out the most among the 3 vying for the starting QB job in the fall. His increased accuracy from last season was noted as well as his comfortability with the pace of the offense and using his legs when necessary.

— UK’s biggest question mark on offense is by far their WR corps., and some of the same problems plagued the veteran receivers this evening (AKA dropped passes). Good news is that the incoming receivers let it be known that they were here to compete for playing time. Jeff Badet was a name that kept popping up as someone who looked like they could contribute right away, citing his ability to get the ball up the field in a hurry after the catch.

— Za’Darius Smith is in a walking boot, but it’s not serious, and is in no way affecting his ability to be an abnormally large human being:

— Overall though, Stoops was not pleased with the energy of the practice tonight. He spoke about how the Fan Day activities may have been a distraction but it wasn’t an excuse even though this was the team’s first time practicing in Commonwealth Stadium as well. Stoops said that this was the first time he had come off the practice field unhappy this fall.

That’s all for tonight. Brennan English and I will be back with you all tomorrow to inch you one Saturday closer to football season

Article written by Will Totten

Born in Indiana and raised in Louisville, I am the unlikeliest UK fan.

36 Comments for John Robic’s Friday News And Views

1. Miss Nomer
    11:01 pm August 9, 2013 Permalink

“comfortability”

2. Blazer85
    11:03 pm August 9, 2013 Permalink

The 1st thing you need to do is find the video of Sr.’s put back slam on Georgia. One of the best UK jams of all time.

3. Minniefield2Bowie
    11:14 pm August 9, 2013 Permalink

I hate to be petty, but I’ve seen that you listed Cobb as being a potential H-Back. I know it was a joke, but H-back doesn’t mean half back. H-Back is a Tight End/Full Back hybrid. The H-Back is usually an athletic tight end; and given the way the NFL is these days I think Cobb could actually play it. I don’t think Totten’s football knowledge is that deep, so I will assume that he meant halfback.

4. RandyB
    11:19 pm August 9, 2013 Permalink

With all due respect to “media members,” I don’t see how they anointed Jalen as the stand-out among the QBs tonight, especially when the contenders were divided into two squads. Even Stoops said he would have to see the film before making any judgement. I don’t see how he could make a judgement even after that. I didn’t see any big separation. I think the media members are looking for reinforcement of pre-concieved notions. And for made-up words like “comfortability” to rival Clark Kellogg’s “spurtability.”

5. johnboynotbilly
    11:24 pm August 9, 2013 Permalink

WKYT is NOT cable news dumbass

6. Stoops Troops
    11:36 pm August 9, 2013 Permalink

Thanks to all the #BBN that turned out for Fans Day(night) tonight. The players and coaches love the support. Looking forward to seeing rowdy BBN fans #PackCWS.

7. Bulldawg
    11:40 pm August 9, 2013 Permalink

the first five comments are ALL COMPLAINING about something. KSR’s comment section has become a joke. What a bunch of pampered, key board dweebs. Thank goodness there was enough of you all to get Matt to make people register in the near future, just to look on the bright side of things. Maybe you should try it, hypocritical nerds. You do know every time you point a finger at someone, you have 3 fingers pointing right back at you. lighten up, you will be happier. GO CATS!!! The RC video was awesome!!!

8. Wi Tu Hi
    11:50 pm August 9, 2013 Permalink

Is #7 complaining too?

9. UK Football Wide Receivers Fan
    12:01 am August 10, 2013 Permalink

In 2006 UK wide receiver Steve Johnson recorded 12 catches for 159 yards (13.3 avg) and 1 touchdown. The 2007 season was a historic one for Johnson as he compiled 61 receptions for 1,052 yards (17.2 avg) and 13 touchdowns. He became the fourth player in school history to gain over 1,000 yards receiving and his thirteen touchdowns in a season rank second on the school’s season-record list.

On March 5th, 2012, Johnson signed a new 5-year contract with the Buffalo Bills worth $36.25 million with a signing bonus of $8.5 million including $18,050,000.00 million guaranteed.

I hope the Cat’s can find wide receiver’s who can make a dramatic improvement much like Stevie did. They just need to work hard and BELIEVE. Go CATS!

10. Beatle Bum
    12:22 am August 10, 2013 Permalink

fearless leader Matt Jones

11. B
    12:45 am August 10, 2013 Permalink

Shouldn’t it be Saturday news & views or am I so drunk that I don’t even realize I need to wake up for work tomorrow? That one Coronita did a number on me.

12. Blue To The Bone...
    12:56 am August 10, 2013 Permalink

Agree some with # 4…I don’t really think that JW made a lot of separation, and as a matter of fact , the group that I was with all agreed that by far, Reese Phillips throws the best ball on the team and really looks cool in the pocket…I would say after tonight’s practice he and JW are 1&1A…

13. Bout time!
    2:08 am August 10, 2013 Permalink

Is George still free?

14. Carolina Blue is past tense for CAROLINA BLOWS
    2:16 am August 10, 2013 Permalink

Catch that ball and get on down the road. I am Jeff Badet. I’ll leave a light on for ya.

15. Did Al respond?
    2:24 am August 10, 2013 Permalink

Did Al or Jesse respond to the Africans
    beating the white boy on the bus?

16. Did Al respond?
    2:26 am August 10, 2013 Permalink

GO CATS!

17. 9698 champs!
    2:28 am August 10, 2013 Permalink

ZIMMERMAN!!

18. Popeye
    7:16 am August 10, 2013 Permalink

“The biggest news of the day” is that a basketball player got a scholarship offer? Really? What about football’s fan appreciation day? I hope all of the football recruits, and yes, you too Drew Barker, take notice that despite all of the rhetoric, UK is still, and always will be, a basketball school. Football will always be a side-matter to occupy time when there is no basketball.

19. Over-Hype
    7:42 am August 10, 2013 Permalink

CNN,MSNBC and FOX news is cable network nitetime tv. Wkyt is local news programming.

20. Reality
    8:46 am August 10, 2013 Permalink

4-12. Whitlow is the better QB and played better competition in high school. He gets the ball out quick and brings another wrinkle with his legs. People need to face the fact that Towels is not going to start. This is not you grandpas ky boy team anymore. Towels played terrible competition in high school. Whitlow led his team to state in Alabama.

21. NL
    8:47 am August 10, 2013 Permalink

18- STFU

22. Billy Ray
    8:59 am August 10, 2013 Permalink

Hearing the Harrison twins and Young have finished up their Eric Bledsoe summer classes and will be here soon.

23. KT
    9:55 am August 10, 2013 Permalink

I went to most of fan day but left 30 minutes early as we were pretty much soaked at that point. Defensively I was pleased but it is hard to tell in a practice like they had last night. Offensively, I thought JW looked the best of the quarterbacks but I saw Reese make some good throws too. I was worried about Smith’s arm strength after last night, he just looked like he didn’t have the same zip he had last year this time, particularly on his sideline routes and over-the-middle plays. I was disappointed with Towles, everytime I looked down there he was fumbling a snap or missing badly on a pass play. Hopefully Towles did some good things out there and I just missed it. I’m extremely worried about the receivers though, at least on my end of the field there were a LOT of dropped passes, probably more drops than catches to be honest. Hopefully that group improves a lot before fall camp is out.

24. KT
    9:57 am August 10, 2013 Permalink

Oh, I almost forgot, we have some REAL talent at running back this year. Those guys are going to be some real weapons.

25. Will Totten
    9:59 am August 10, 2013 Permalink

3. THANK YOU! Thank you for assuming I have no idea what I’m talking about and correcting an off-handed joke that also included me saying Randall Cobb was the team physician. I’m aware of what an H-Back is

26. bigbluetrue
    10:05 am August 10, 2013 Permalink

18 and 22 = UL TROLLS!

27. BBN
    10:06 am August 10, 2013 Permalink

#20 Whitlow also played WR in high school so there’s that

28. BBN
    10:09 am August 10, 2013 Permalink

If Whitlow wins the job then I’m all for it but it’s hard to believe a kid can be a starting QB in the SEC when he couldn’t even be the QB for his High School team

29. Reality
    11:18 am August 10, 2013 Permalink

27-28. Whitlow was considered an athlete when recruited. He played multiple positions in high school. He played QB his senior year. No matter what position he played he was playing against better competition than Towels. Towels didn’t even play in the 6 A class.

Whitlow QB

30. Jose Hebert
    11:24 am August 10, 2013 Permalink

Does that man dye his own hair? May want to get the roots next time. With polaroids on, I see ROYGBIV in that surrounding hair root line.

31. Doing
    11:26 am August 10, 2013 Permalink

BBN- you should give stoops and brown your input.

32. Jalens Dads
    11:58 am August 10, 2013 Permalink

Disappointed in all this negative energy im reading but im about to set the record on a few things. 1. Jalen was the best QB on his team maybe the state. we transfered to Prattville w hen they had a high powered QB Jalen out played him and he had every offer in major football. He also competed against Jeremy Johnson Auburn QB in middle school and won. Jalen was runner up to TJ Yeldon for Mr Football in Alabama. He beat out Jemeiz Winston Fl St. QB–Jeremy Johnson Auburn QB—Wallace Auburn QB —Justin Thomas G. Tech QB and high school team mate. Jalen was no backup QB in high school! It was just politics. So there u have it. He is going to make the UK nation proud and lead us to victory because thats all he knows to do. We love UK– best college in SEC

33. Jalens Dad
    12:08 pm August 10, 2013 Permalink

Sorry Jalens Dad. He has only one

34. KT
    2:13 pm August 10, 2013 Permalink

@Jalens Dad, this site seems to attract extreme views on football and a LOT of rival fans trolling the discussions. I wouldn’t put too much stock in negative comments, I think everybody in Lexington area is more positive and excited for football in Kentucky than I’ve ever seen in my life. Everyone I was around at the stadium last night was speaking very highly of Jalen, I know from where I was sitting he looked great and I’m pretty sure he is around 3-4 times more accurate with his passes than this time last year. I was at the fan day last year and I thought Jalen was particularly better at his deep passes and over the middle timing routes. Last year I thought he looked like an athlete trying to play QB, this year I thought he looked like a true SEC QB out there. Some of it was his body language and confidence but anybody that saw him last August can tell how hard he has been working on his arm strength and accuracy. I expect to see CW stadium mostly if not completely full for every SEC game. Go Cats.

35. Tampa Satchel
    4:54 pm August 10, 2013 Permalink

KSR Radio?

36. Jalens Dad
    5:03 pm August 10, 2013 Permalink

Thanks KT….that’s good to hear. Jalen has put a lot of work in as a lot of other players and they deserve our full support. I know football and this team has a chance to be great. They may be young and unproven but I also know coaches and we have some of the best. Good vibes need to be coming out of the program because bad ones spread and believe me it will hurt recruiting in the future.

Looking forward to the season!