John McNamara’s Tuesday News and Views

mcnamara

65 sportswriters and broadcasters across the country make up the voting panel of the AP college basketball poll. This week, 64 of those voters agreed that Kentucky is one of the two best basketball teams in the country. The odd man out? John McNamara of the Capital Gazette in Annapolis, Maryland. McNamara put Ohio State and Syracuse ahead of Kentucky on his AP poll ballot this week. Last week, when the Cats debuted at the top of the poll, McNamara called them the fourth-best team in the country.

I don’t know if there is bad blood between McNamara and Kentucky, but something is keeping him from giving the Cats the respect they deserve. For him to put Kentucky at No. 3 is ludicrous. Anyone with a television or access to a box score knows Kentucky and Ohio State are the top two teams in the country. McNamara is just hatin’. And we just want to know why.

Shame on you, John. Now take your own edition of the News and Views as an olive branch to make things right. I don’t like this tension and hostility between us. It’s not healthy.

— The big news of the day was Kentucky holding down that top spot in the polls, despite McNamara’s efforts to dethrone the Wildcats. UK is ranked No. 1 in both the AP and ESPN/USA Today Coaches polls for the second week in a row. Kentucky picked up an extra vote this week in the AP poll but lost three first place votes to Ohio State in the coaches poll. Louisville snuck into the top five for the first time this season. L Yeah!

— Ole Miss’s Jarvis Summers stole the SEC Freshman of the Week award away from Anthony Davis, but Terrence Jones got some love from the conference on Monday. Jones was named SEC Player of the Week for his performances in the wins over St. John’s and North Carolina. Jones averaged 20 points, 8 rebounds, 3.5 blocks and 3 steals in those two games. His 26 points against St. John’s were his highest total of the season. UK Hoops’ A’dia Mathies was named Co-Player of the Week for the women.

— The SEC also dished out its football honors on Monday and two Wildcats were named All-SEC by the Associated Press. To the surprise of absolutely no one, Danny Trevathan received first team honors at linebacker, while junior offensive lineman Larry Warford was named to the second team. Trevathan led the SEC with 143 tackles on the season. Only one other non-UK SEC defender recorded over 100 tackles. Trevathan was also top three in fumbles forced and top ten in interceptions.

— Kentucky football fans, though happy for Trevathan and Warford, have a reason to be upset with the All-SEC voters. Someone please explain to everyone in Big Blue Nation why Winston Guy was left off both all-conference teams. Guy’s 120 tackles were second-best in the conference behind his fellow dread-headed teammate. He was named defensive honorable mention but we’re not satisfied with that.

— Winston Guy’s snub isn’t the only reason to complain. Ryan Tydlacka was left off both all-SEC teams as well. Tydlacka was the hardest working punter in the conference, racking up the most yards while punting it more than anyone else. That’s a good thing, right?

— Switching back to basketball, a trip to Bloomington, Indiana is on the horizon and the talk is heating up between the two rival schools. Tom Crean fired the first friendly trash talking shot by tweeting, “KEEP THE BLUE OUT OF ASSEMBLY HALL ON SATURDAY!” He added, “We have to keep them out of the paint. You need to keep the fans out of our seats. Dominate this building with cream and crimson.” Coach Cal came back at his good friend and tweeted, “#BBN, don’t lose your vacation money or your kid’s scholarship fund but if you’re buying tix to the IU game, don’t tell them you’re w/ UK.” Followed by, “Show up in red w/ blue underneath & don’t take it off until our intros. U can leave the red shirt in the arena when u leave. #BlueGetsIn” I don’t usually condone going against Coach Cal but I never condone wearing a red shirt over a blue one, no matter what the reason is.

— While Crean and Calipari’s jabs at each other are good natured, I can’t say the same about the trash talking from some in the Indiana fanbase. If you search Coach Cal’s mentions on Twitter (search “ukcoachcalipari”), some of the results are very disturbing. The way these people are talking to Calipari is so inapproriate, I can’t even censor the quotes for you on here. Go look for yourself if you want but you’ve been warned. Keep it classy, IU fans. Keep it classy. #AnthonyDavisSaysShutUp

— Duke head coach Mike Kryzweskszzkiski was named Sports Illustrated’s Sportsman of the Year for 2011. Coach K just recently broke college basketball’s all-time wins record. He has 907 win in his career. That’s a record. Hey, did you know Coach K broke the record for wins? He did. He did it against Michigan State in the game before Kentucky’s in Madison Square Garden. The win broke Bob Knight’s all-time wins record. Mike Krqyzeski is college basketball’s all-time winningest coach. (Repeat)

— Back in April of last year, the National Enquirer broke a story about Dale Earnhardt Jr. stealing a woman from Kentucky football assistant coach Tommy Cook. That story is back in the news after Earnhardt Jr. showed up with Cook’s former lady, Amy Reimann, at a NASCAR event. Cook and Reimann were childhood sweethearts and had been married for almost two years when Earnhardt Jr. broke the couple up. Supposedly, Reimann and Dale Jr. were hooking up while she was still married to Cook. We should all boycott Amp energy drinks. Here he is with his new lady:

ladies_and_gentlemen_dale_earnhardt_jrs_girlfriend

— Ole Miss hired Hugh Freeze to replace Houston Nutt as head football coach in Oxford. I don’t know who that is and I’m too tired to Google him.

I guess that’s my cue to get going. See you back here at 9:00 a.m. Tuesday morning.

Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

82 Comments for John McNamara’s Tuesday News and Views

1. Berry Gordy
    11:37 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

Everyday I’m Shufflin

2. Hal
    11:43 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

davis: 11 pts, 12 rebs, 5 blks
    summers: 14.5 pts, 3 rebs, 3 ast

3. WinstonGuy
    11:48 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

Just letting you know the AP sent out a revised edition of the Post-Season Award Teams, and Winston was named to the 2nd team All SEC! Congrats to the Predator!!!

4. Ronald D.
    11:58 pm December 5, 2011 Permalink

Love Lifts Us Up Where We Belong

5. Gavin S.
    12:00 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

That McNamara d-bag needs to get his voting power revoked. Is there some oversight for these guys?

6. Amy
    12:03 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

is not hard on the eyes at all. Can’t say the same for who she’s standing with.

7. WhatSheOrder?FishFilet?
    12:03 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I hope we run IU out of the building.

8. NKY Cat Fan
    12:06 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Why in the hell is Louisville ranked in the top five in the coaches poll??? They are 189th in ppg, 156th in field goal %, and 98th in assists per game…against an absolute turd of a schedule. They just slipped past Ohio University, beat Long Beach State by 13 pts and only managed to put 54 pts on the board against the fighting Red Wolves of Arkansas State!!! Outside of a last second shot victory over an underacheiving Vandy team (what’s new), they have no impressive wins whatsoever. Am I missing something here? Do the voters really believe Louisville is better than UNC? Duke? Heck, there are 10-15 teams I’d put ahead of the Cards.

9. Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins
    12:19 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I just dropped $120 a piece on two lower level tickets….better bring home the W.

10. DieHardCatFan
    12:24 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

BBN lives in Indy. Got my tux to KY game vs. IU and will proudly be wearing my blue in lower arena. I only ask one thing…..Anthony Davis dunk all over the other loser Zoeller brother. I went 2 years ago and all I can say is IU fans are rude and a bunch oh haters. Go Cats and make me walk out proud again!

11. Tomas
    12:25 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Isn’t Hugh Freeze the high school coach of Micheal Oher? And moved then up to Arkansas State. I am pretty sure he is in the movie Blind Side.

12. mores
    12:26 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Ah the ol’ haterz post.

Syracuse probably isn’t a better team than us. Ohio State probably is a better team than us. Both are debatable. Arguing Kentucky is absolutely #1 and a ranking as low as #3 is somehow absurd is as stupid and arrogant as it is masturbatory.

For all our self-lauding over the game on Saturday, our offense looked abysmal. Our only points came off of isolations. The only set plays we attempted run had a perimeter player run off screens on the block, wheel to the 45 degree spot, catch the ball…and that was it. The play died. The only thing we did well (and we did it very well) was not turn the ball over. I firmly believe we’ll improve dramatically like we’ve done the last 2 years, and come tournament time I think we’ll be the clear best team in the country. But I don’t think we’re there yet, and even if we are, it’s far from certain, and not certain enough to go apeshit over someone who, how dare he, had the gall to drop us all the way to #3.

13. theSkinny81
    12:34 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

i need to start driving my car faster….

14. Shemus O Toole
    12:40 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I wish dale jr would get more wins than women

15. Realistic
    12:41 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Louisville over UNC in the polls? What a joke

16. BFK
    12:50 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Winston Guys a badd ass… Just thought I’d note that.

17. Mr. Freeze
    1:07 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

11) Yeah that’s him. Arkansas State went 10-2 this year.

18. Cats by 90
    1:17 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Can we please make this guys life hell. Look at some of the stuff he posted.

19. Bco
    1:23 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

IU is the 5’8″ loud mouth punk on the court who talks the most smack then gets beat by 50…then starts talking about “Next time…”….only to get by 50, again. It’s funny how much they hate us and act like we’re huge rivals, and the only reason we even know they exist is because their dbag fans are so loud and obnoxious that they’re impossible to ignore.

Cats by 50….again. Shut these punks up for another 50 weeks or so…

20. Bco
    1:27 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Cats by 50….again. That’ll shut their ignorant @$$es up for another 50 weeks or so…

21. John McNamarra
    1:42 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Here’s the guys email. Send him a piece of your mind. I know I did. [email protected]

22. CAT8
    2:10 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

18 – yes. Sloppy Joe needs to be put in his place. He has some serious issues. Whoever has a twitter should jump on this.

23. CAT8
    2:11 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I wouldn’t even waste my time messing with Mcnamara. I’d devote all of it to this guy.

24. SkyDog59
    2:34 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

After reading those tweets from IU lunatics I’m afraid it might get ugly Saturday. I’m a little worried about the safety of the players, coaches and UK fans.

25. lipper
    2:58 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

where cares about basketball! would you just look at her!

26. prpcat
    3:35 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

The i.u. fan base has had booby knight to look up to all these years what else would you expect?

27. Bubba Earl
    5:27 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

She’s a Hoe, she is somebody!

28. Mitch Rapp
    5:47 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

The Sloppy_Joe (who is saying some very disturbing things on Twitter about Cal and the UK players) is Joe Talhelm. He graduated from Franklin Simpson in Indy. Google him.

29. Jo Jo
    6:13 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I agree with #12, I think UNC is soft but talented. We beat a good team but in no way are we a finished product. Plenty of teams in college basketball that can beat Kentucky, but none more talented. I like this team…

30. mike burks
    6:25 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Who cares about polls? Only the Final Ranking matters. Like last year. UK was in the mid teens to lower twenties. They made the Final Four and finished third. Only season end rankings matter.

31. Bubba Earl
    6:35 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

What a Hoe, she is somebody!

32. SexnNursinHomes
    6:43 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

It’s pretty obvious that she is only with Dale E for his money. That goober couldn’t get laid in a free whorehouse without money.

33. kentuckyjoe
    7:32 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

she is one very fine piece of womanhood. One of the best looking women I’ve ever seen. I wouldn’t be surprised if she dumps Dale Jr. and takes up with SexnNursinHomes. If she’s smart that’s what she’ll do.

34. Katbluefan
    7:35 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

If a program is to be dropped then it should be Indiana. They have been a Div.II program for the last 5 yrs and to keep playing them and drop N.C. would be stupid.

35. SexnNursinHomes
    7:39 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

33- hahaha, she’d have to love me for my doggy style- I’m so poor, bums give me money because they feel sorry for me.

36. PUNT PUNT
    7:42 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

JOHN MCNALOSER IS THE KING OF THE COUNTRY MORON LOCATED NEXT TO IDIOTSTANBURG!!!!

37. The Preacher
    7:43 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Hugh freeeze is a food coach-yes he was Oher’s coach at briarcrest high and then went to ole miss with Oher as an assistant-there was an NCAA investagatiom into that! He then left when Orgeron was let go and coached NAIA Lambuth-a la midsouth conference like Georgetown college. Later hired at Arkansas state and moved up the head coach a couple years ago. Good Coach and an equally good guy! Now back at Ike miss as the head man-good for them!

38. UK fan
    7:48 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Why is Cal telling us to sneak in? I heard his call-in show last night, and he had about a 5 minute tirade about how fans don’t matter. He doesn’t care what we think. It’s all about players. If we don’t matter, everybody stop going to games and spending money. Let’s see how long we don’t matter. Look, he’s a great coach. LOVE what he’s done with the team, But sometimes he needs to just STFU. I’ve heard this crap from him about the players only matter just once too much. I know it’s said for recruiting…don’t care. Cal and “Microwave Mitch” REALLY need to think a little more before calling out the fan base. If the fans don’t matter, let’s see how long he has a job, or the kids get a free ride to school with all of the benefits that go with it, or the money they make once they leave. I tell you, these sports people need to quit going at the fans. You won’t get ANYWHERE like that.

39. average fan
    7:51 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Is she holding her cum sponge?

40. Raazoul
    8:07 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Quit bitching, they are kids, it should be about them. Sick of hearing you selfish brats whining that the program doesn’t cater to what you want. You don’t appreciate what Cal does for UK students who play basketball, just that he brings in ball players for your entertainment. If you stop watching they will keep right on playing. I hear UL needs more fans….

41. Hoops Malone
    8:11 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

#40 – no, its a purse. She uses it to carry around all of Jr.’s NASCAR trophies.

42. Nassau65
    8:12 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

39. you’re on your own pal. Tellin Cal to STFU makes it pretty obvious to the rest of us, you’re a Loserville fan.

43. wilDCat
    8:14 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

39 – Yes I’m sure when he says the fans don’t matter that he means that in 100% seriousness, just like he means it when he says our team is terrible and there are 100 teams that could beat us and so on and so forth like he does every single season. The fact that you still take things like that seriously is bad, as it’s clear that he means things of that nature in a figurative sense more than literal. Clearly with how Cal acts a lot of the time it’s obvious he loves the fans.

44. Nassau65
    8:17 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

BTW Dale Jr, that is one fine lookin woman. i could get addicted to her bathwater.

45. Hoops Malone
    8:17 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

McNamara will respond one of two ways:

1) Cal is a cheat.
    2) some half-witted response trying to sell Syracuse.
    3) no response.

46. Al's IndiCats
    8:19 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I think the one who needs to STFU is you 39. You’re starting to sound like a IU DBag…..Which you probably are anyway!
    IU fans are the most rediculous anyway. They were not relevent for what, the last 8 years, so what did they do? They jumped on the Valpo coat tails. Then they jumped on the Butler tails and rode that horse to the ground. All the while they were Notre Dame football fans, then Purdue football fans. So now they win a few basketball games this year and talk all the smack. They went down in their basements, or up in their attics dusted off that God awfull red hats and think they are on God’s mission to bring IU back to the glory days of old. NEWS BREAK IU FANS….Crean’s got you thinking that you all can win it all, but…..You’ll still be the 3rd or 4th best in the state for wins, once you start playing somebody. Be ready Saturday to be put back into your place. CATS by 12, and it won’t even be that close!

47. Hoops Malone
    8:24 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

…or three ways. Whatever… Still waiting in line for coffee.

48. Some dude
    8:24 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

She could be a goddess… doesn’t matter though b/c she’s a filthy whore.

49. What Jon Hood Was Going to Say Before Deleting it
    8:28 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Cal was jokingly referring to not telling the ticket offices/fans buying tickets from that you are not UK fan. One can easily tell he was not being serious about it because we know and he knows there will be UK fans as close as IU is not matter what. After Crean telling his fans not to sell tickets to UK fans…more likely they will try to pack the IU arena with red-wearing fans….very doubtful.

50. UK fan
    8:30 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

42, IT’S NOT “REDICULOUS”. You mean “ridiculous”? Folks, not an IU or UL fan. Been a UK fan longer than most of you have been alive, probably. I heard him flat-out say we don’t matter. I wondered, at first, if I heard him correctly. After the show went off, Lachlin McLane (sp?)came on, played the segement over, and thought the same thing I did. You take it however you want. I’m done. You guys don’t get offended by it, fine. I have no problem with Cal being a players coach. Great for recruiting. But he can be a player’s coach and NOT tell the fans we don’t matter. You know why UK is the very best? THE FANS.

51. Carl
    8:44 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

That guy’s a writer. He looks like a reject from a rehab center…and he’s stealing Gene Keady’s combover…WTH? Ex Ms. Cook, shame on you is all I have to say about that.
    Does the state of Indiana have any other D1 teams besides Butler?

52. ndo10
    8:47 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Man, some of you guys have such poor, tender, little feelings. I think you all forgot how $hitty it was for a decade before Cal came here and brought us back to the pinacle. Quit hanging on evey word the man says and taking it to heart like a 3rd grader

53. Kidnut
    8:52 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I like him. He reminds me of a young Andy Rooney in that pic…”You ever wonder why people rank teams the way they do? I like to do it by favorite color, mine is red so I made OSU #1, Kentucky probably should be but they are blue and that color means sadness. Orange is closer to red so I make Syracuse #2, now that I have 2 happy colors I can add a blue. I always like to have more happiness and sadness and isn’t that how we all should live?”

54. fishman
    8:53 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Sounds like we need to send the KSR reporting crew to pay John McNamara a visit!! Or just get him on the show today to defend his case!!

55. KSR1080Fan
    8:56 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I have to rinse first each time I repeat anything about coach K.

56. horny uk fan
    9:03 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I wouldn’t pull out, she’s FIRE!!

57. UKfanNKY
    9:07 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

First and foremost leaving Guy and Tydlackla off the All Conf. teams is a bunch of BULLSHIT!!! As far as McNamara he is just a complete dumb-ass!!! GO CATS!!!

58. Tweep
    9:07 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

You all seem to be way too obsessed with who doesn’t vote Kentucky #1.

59. MacGruber
    9:12 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

At least Jr. can win off the track!

60. Chase
    9:18 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Am I the only one that thinks its INNAPPROPRIATE TO GIVE FURTHER TABLOID ATTENTION TO A HEARTBREAKING PERSONAL STORY THAT INVOLVES ONE OF OUR OWN? Not cool to publicly expose the marital infidelity of a wife’s coach, especially when he is a former player AND coach! Keep it classy KSR, keep it classy.

61. Designated Drinker
    9:19 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Maybe he can steal Cook’s father also. What a lowlife jerk, way to steal that gold digger you redneck trash.

62. Kidnut
    9:22 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

The Earnhardt Jr. story reminds me of the critically acclaimed movie, The Room….such strife, emotion and drama. Amazing.

63. Crawl
    9:30 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

62- exactly. You don’t wheeze another man’s juice. You just don’t do it.

64. Amp It Up
    9:38 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Gonna start drinkn that stuff if that’s what it does for ya! Ya might wanna try IT “Drew” LOL!

65. saki7
    9:38 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

I remember Cook. Dale Jr. is weaselesque. Reimann’s crazy…

66. wilDCat
    9:56 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

51 – While the UK fan base is easily the best fan base in all of college basketball by far, the fan base does not make UK the best, the players still do. If there were no fans, but the team had the same players, they’d still be awesome. If the team had a bad coach and not a lot of talent (a la Billy G) but all the same fans, the team would be bad. Yes, the fans are part of what helps recruiting, and the fan base helps the team play well, but if you for a second think that you matter more than the actual players, you are delusional.

67. capt. price
    10:13 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

While that girl is beautiful, she’s obviously a gold digger. You can always spot them, because they walk beside retarded looking rich guys. He looks like Burns, from The Simpsons.

68. Ralph
    10:21 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Pretty sure Tommy Cook could kick the shit out of Dale Jr

69. Mcnamara/Idiot
    10:24 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Two weeks ago I voted Duke #1 because they beat Kansas and Michigan, but I just don’t see Kentucky beating Kansas and North Carolina justifying #1.

70. Hoss_Cat
    10:40 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

She’s needs a chest LIFT!

71. Countywide
    10:43 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

1) I have lost respect for Dale, Jr. Didn’t have much anyways.
    2) Pretty crappy that you would put that up there. Its really none of our business

72. ThankfulCat
    11:08 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

Cook’s childhood sweetheart who he eventually married.

Dale Jr steals her away and never blinks an eye

I hope he gets a bad case of ED and she dumps him for the next “big” thing.

73. anthonyeppsdrivingschool
    11:17 am December 6, 2011 Permalink

@61, I agree with you.

74. Joker Blows
    12:23 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

dale jr sucks and lives off his daddy! He did Cook a favor.

75. Nassau65
    12:26 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

see comments

76. Nassau65
    12:27 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

c’mon

77. kyrgaines
    1:01 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

what a pig… nothing worse than a cheater (if true). But she is hot!

78. CAT8
    1:05 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

Looks like Sloppy_Joe made his twitter private. Must have been a job well done.

79. BigBlock
    1:17 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

If this woman screwed around on her husband and is now with Dale Jr. around a bunch of Nascar driver’s. It’s only a matter of time till she will want to screw one who actually wins!!!!!!!

80. BTI still sucks
    1:23 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

NUTT FREEZE……..oh man, I hate when that happens……

81. Winston Bennett 45
    4:14 pm December 6, 2011 Permalink

She must like winners, next she will be hanging with Charlie Sheen and his loser brother. I look for her to be in Playboy soon as ho’s of the Nascar drivers?