John Lets His Wall Down

WallPresser

Today’s was good, but this is still my favorite John Wall press conference.

John Wall just got paid.  And, as we pointed out earlier, he’s giving some of that money right back to charity, because he’s an amazing guy.

But he got a little choked up, as can happen, when talking about the even more amazing women in his life: his sisters, aunts, grandmother, and most of all, his mom.  Wall credited his success to the labors of love invested in him by his family, and couldn’t help but show some emotion on what is surely the best day of his professional life so far:

Particularly, Wall pointed out that he has to focus on himself first, before he can focus on basketball; a lesson taught to him by his mother.  “My main thing was to keep striving to be a better person. That’s one thing my mom always instilled in me, was it doesn’t matter what anybody’s gonna think of you as a basketball player, they’re always gonna look at you as a person first.”

Touching sight, and a great day for a former Wildcat.  Genuinely pretty heartwarming.  Congratulations, #11.

Article written by Corey Nichols

21 Comments for John Lets His Wall Down

1. grumpycat
    6:09 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

Gotta love John Wall.

2. bigabes4uk
    6:13 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

J Wall- my man. My favorite player ever. Only jersey of any player in any sport I ever bought was J wall’s #11 Kentucky. What a great person as well.

3. Sam
    7:11 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

God bless mothers. God bless the family.

4. Jimbob Bautista
    7:28 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

Congrats John, you’re the best!

5. Delk for 3
    7:44 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

I’d cry too if I was signing a deal for 80 million. I mean, think about how many people’s lives you could drastically change with that kind of cheddar.

6. Blue To The Bone
    7:57 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

Congratulations John!!!…BUT, Please be very careful with what you do…Just ask Antoine Walker and about 80% of nba guys…

7. MHFaulkner
    9:19 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

And yet somehow, somewhere, someone (Colin Cowherd) will call him a problem because he didn’t have a father growing up.

8. Catlogic15
    9:30 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

I’d bawl like a baby if I just received $80 schmill.

9. moneyman
    9:33 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

John committed $1,000,000 or 1.25% of his contracts value. Big deal.

10. Jen
    9:51 pm August 1, 2013 Permalink

I’d like to go back to the Eisenhower-era tax rates for people in his bracket of about 90%. America seemed to be doing okay in the 1950s. Of course, presently we’d just piss the revenue away on another useless, open-ended, undeclared war, but one can dream that we’d put it to healthcare and education.

11. BravoBigBlue
    6:42 am August 2, 2013 Permalink

John Wall coming to Kentucky was huge in the process of getting the program back on top. I like the fact that he is a genuine person with his priorities in order. Great rep of BBN.

12. There'sAlways1
    8:54 am August 2, 2013 Permalink

@9 thanks for being the one #ss in the comment section. Whether it’s 1% or 10% or 50% is none of your business and his decision to make. It could have been 0% and it may be 1.25% to DC and something more somewhere else . . . I’m sure you give 15% of your $25k each year . . . dolt.

13. tbradg
    9:32 am August 2, 2013 Permalink

That’s the first Wall interview I’ve seen since he left…man has he matured. Great to see him realizing true financial security for life and sharing his resources with his community!

14. rick
    9:45 am August 2, 2013 Permalink

Dont worry about how much money he is making, i would do the same if i could. He makes me very proud to call him a x wildcat, and he would make me proud even if he had played at louisville for example.

15. oughts is oughts
    10:22 am August 2, 2013 Permalink

There are young men and women sitting in 9′ by 12′ cubicles all over this world searching for cures for diseases such as aids and cancer, they have IQ’s in the 110 to 160 range, they earn on average, less than $40,000 a year …………

yet, …………..

this pos, that you so idolize is set to make something like 16 million a year to play a FREAKIN KIDS GAME !

This is part of what is wrong with what used to be the greatest nation on earth……

The really atrocious part of the equation is what does this individual do to improve this world compared to the scientists ……..

NOTHING …….. he’s not capable of improving our world as a whole, he’s nothing more than an ordinary entertainer, or modern day gladiator, he hasn’t the mental capacity to improve mankind as a whole ……….

YET,…………

we feel compelled in today’s society to reward this person monetarily beyond his station in life’s terrace ………….

are we not on the precipice of collapse, both morally and monetarily ?

We have no leadership compared to mankind’s mainstays …….
    where are we headed ……… Rome fell, and if you know of card playing, you recognize the tells ………

I’ll end by saying this …… I’ve loved Kentucky basketball for more years than MOST of this site’s readers lifetimes …..

but, …………

I wouldn’t pay a dime to watch John Wall play hoops across the street from where I live.

16. Raleigh B
    2:35 pm August 2, 2013 Permalink

ought is oughts; bitter much?
    It is your right to not pay a dime to see Wall play, just as it is the Wizards’ right to pay him a max contract, but hating on ones luck/fortune/athletic ability just makes you look like envious.
    I am a Dukie, love college basketball more than most I know, and am from the same city as John. As disappointed as I was to see him play in Lexington instead of here, I am more proud to say he is from Raleigh! Not sure if you grew up with both parents or not, but if you did not, you know just how much of a strain that puts on the parent left with the responsibility of raising children by themselves. I a child of divorce, and even though both of my parents made sure we survived, I know the feeling John had when he talked about what his mother did for them. My mom had to work her tail off just so we could keep a roof over our head. She worked even harder to make sure we had the things we wanted, even when she knew she could not afford it.
    This reaction was one of the most genuine things I have seen in a while. I applaud John’s success, and hope that he spoils his mom, grandma, brothers , and sisters as much as he can. He deserves it.
    Being envious of someone’s success will not change anything, it will just turn you into a bitter person.

17. oughts is oughts
    4:43 pm August 2, 2013 Permalink

I cannot appreciate a Dukie stickin their nose in anything I have to say.

Talk about priveleged ! My diatribe was directed at Wall, but it could have been directed at just about any modern day athlete, and their circumstances in life mean absolutely nothing to me, as you totally missed my point! Which is not unusual when dealing with youngsters who should be seen and not heard by their elders ………. p.s. sorry about your lot in life …. deal with it …. did you have it as bad as I did ?
    Doubt it seriously ……. but, as you bored me, I will not reciprocate …..

I was speaking in generalities …… NO PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE DESERVES THEIR OVERPAYMENT ……. for what they contribute to humanity ………. do you honestly think a Turkish mother whose daughter of 12 years of age, dying of cancer cares a rats ass what ANY Duke or UK professional athlete makes ? Do you live in a glass house?

Please refrain from commenting until you achieve my intellectual and humanitarian plateau, which will obviously never occur in my lifetime.

18. Stfu
    4:46 pm August 2, 2013 Permalink

Hey oughts is oughts. U mad bro?

19. dsparklender
    5:39 pm August 2, 2013 Permalink

compared to most of the world you are rich as well oughts is oughts! I make a great deal more than I deserve by some folks standards but am rather good at what I do so make more than most of the same folks in my industry. As Pete Rose said when he left the Reds for the Phillies “If I do something that only a limited amount of people in the USA can do,I should get paid the amount that I am getting paid. Not big on Dukies either but am for freedom of speech and despise folks that act like they are better than others due to thinking that they are of higher intellect. If the market bears that John Wall can make that amount of money so be it. Whatever you do for a living I am sure others may not think you deserve either. GO CATS!

20. oughts is oughts
    6:26 pm August 2, 2013 Permalink

I am hardly well off, nor was I when working ……. I am in fact retired ….. and … yes, sparklender …… compared to most in the world I am WELL OFF, but compared to MOST of the world, an 18 year old flipping burgers at Burger King is well off so your point is dull, as is your patting yourself on the back for being so great at your profession, yet my mention of average intellect ( I said “on my plateau” ) seems to uncomfort you ….. take what the younguns call a chill pill Mr. CEO …….. I guess you think (obviously) that Mr. Rose is a role model? I would question that highly, as would many others I’m sure …………. If you need a role model try Thomas D. Clark of the great institution of the UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY …. or Harry Truman, a haberdasher, that saved millions of Amerrican lives by having the COURAGE to do the unthinkable ….. those men are role models and they damn sure were not overpaid, and they didn’t have to sign autographs in sleezy casinos to make a living and neither fell out of favor for breaking the rules ……. nuff said.

Feel free to dismiss yourself without excuse !!!

21. dsparklender
    7:31 am August 3, 2013 Permalink

Well at least you do revel in being a AHOLE since you wish everyone else to dismiss themselves and believe yourself to be the 2nd coming. It is amusing that you feel that God has made you his little knowledge king but if so you would know that Pete Rose is hardly a role model since i met him when i was a teenager and found him to be obnoxious but quoting folks does not set them up as role models. You are a bitter person that probably deserved the butt whuppins you received when you were in school although i feel you were probably fairly athletic(after being run home from school everyday by the neighborhood kids)after ratting them out to the teacher…well i am regressing to stereotyping as you now……..GO CATS