Calipari urges Big Blue Nation to get on board with Archie

First it was Nerlens Noel (that might feel like so long ago that you don’t even remember). Then it was Ryan Harrow. Then it was Alex Poythress. Now? It’s Archie Goodwin. At various points during the season, John Calipari has seemingly taken a particular player on his team under his wing, focusing his attention on their individual progress and reassuring fans that they “will be fine.”

When Noel arrived on campus later than the rest of the team, with expectations abound for him to be the “next Anthony Davis,” Calipari spoke up on his behalf. He warned not to put more pressure than necessary on Noel to be someone else. Instead, he encouraged everyone to give Noel time to blossom because his potential was huge.

We probably all remember Ryan Harrow’s rough patch earlier this season. Harrow was battling illness and personal issues, even causing him to leave early for Thanksgiving break. His status was up in the air, causing a great stir among the fan base and national media as to what his future might hold. Calipari gave him time to figure things out for himself before returning to the team, and then he guided him along slowly– giving him extra attention at practice. Harrow seemingly began to trust Calipari and Calipari began to trust Harrow as well, finally making him the starting point guard after a long wait.

Alex Poythress has been the latest player to receive the bulk of Calipari’s attention. Calipari took to his website a few weeks ago to explain the progress of Poythress. Calipari has been trying to will the energy and effort from Poythress for the past month, even getting creative during practices to try to bring out the best in him. Poythress has slowly but surely started to turn the corner, and Calipari seems pleased with his new attitude toward practice. The results showed last night when Poythress had a huge game with 20 points and 12 rebounds.

Now, it seems to be Archie Goodwin’s turn. On his website today, CoachCal.com, Calipari discussed Archie Goodwin in detail. Perhaps feeling the growing frustration among the fan base when it comes to Archie’s play, Calipari took the opportunity to let everyone get to know Goodwin a little better:

“Archie is totally invested in this program. He is the first one to come to practice every day, the last one out, and oftentimes the guy who is in the gym late at night working on his game and his free-throw shooting. He’ll have a full blown workout before we even start practice. He is conscious about the areas he is weak in, so he spends a ton of time in the gym working on areas he needs to improve on. He is his own worst critic.”

Calipari then goes on to compare Goodwin’s play and the perception that he might be selfish to DeAndre Liggins’ play when Calipari first arrived at Kentucky. Calipari notes that due to his inconsistent shooting, Goodwin has always had to rely upon being more athletic than his man and taking him to the basket.

“What we’re doing to help him with that is that he’s not allowed to shoot lay-ups in practice. He must pull up in the lane and either shoot pull-up jumpers around the free-throw line or shoot runners. If he shoots a lay-up, it’s a turnover.”

Calipari goes on to discuss how he also wants Goodwin to become a better defender because he has the necessary tools. He also talks about how it’s hard for him to be mad at a player who wanted to come to play for him at Kentucky so bad, and so badly wants to improve. He says that the pressure does get to Goodwin at times, but that for any freshman playing at Kentucky– the task is not easy. According to Calipari, Goodwin is frustrated with the fact that some things he is not picking up as quickly.

“At the end of the day, he cares about his teammates and he’s frustrated he’s not picking things up quicker. Old habits are hard to break, but he’s doing everything he can to break them, so let’s get behind him.

I am totally with him, and you should be too. Our fans should be there to help encourage him knowing how hard he works, how invested he is and how much he’s there for his teammates.”

To read the entire article, which has some great insight from Calipari…click here.

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

55 Comments for Calipari urges Big Blue Nation to get on board with Archie

1. R. Smith
    12:28 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

After the Bama game, I’m sure Cal felt the need to get the heat off Archie. I think the team was starting to stress over Archie as well. I’m guessing Cal wanted to lighten it up for the team and think long term for these players who it appears some may be wearing a UK uniform next year , something they may not have planned on when they came here

2. UK Freshmen
    12:29 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

This sounds like good coaching and support to me. This smacks of treason! At the very least, propaganda! Let’s stay on course by repeating my mantra: “Coach Cal is terrible and UK plays an awful schedule…”

3. Syrin
    12:30 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

I think I speak for most UK fans when I say I LOVE Archie. His problems are not his fault. He’s a product of the AAU system that doesn’t teach fundamental or team basketball. It’s all about one on one or one on five basketball. No one is taught proper shot technique, mid range jumpers, defense, etc. Archie gives everything he has when he’s out there. He’s playing the game AS HE WAS TAUGHT TO PLAY ! It’s not his fault, but it’s frustrating as hell, because in the AAU system, those moves he makes and those shots he takes were against much inferior players. Now, players are all his size, almost as quick as him so the shot difficulty increases substantially. Once he learns to put some arch on his FT’s, develops a mid range jumper, develops an outside shot, and learns to play high level defense and team basketball, he’ll be AMAZING !! BUT, and this is a BIG BUT, he’s a long ways away from that right now. Again, no fault of his own, and I am glad to hear he’s working hard. Yet another reason to love the guy. It just makes this year frustrating as he wasn’t ready for college TEAM basketball.

4. Archie's Agent
    12:30 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

Cal needs to feature Archie in the offense. If not, then he will not be drafted in the lottery.

5. tyson
    12:32 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

is it the +/- stat in basketball that tells how good a team is with/without a certain player in the game? i would like to see Archie’s. i really do hate to say it, but i think he is the main reason this team is out of sync.

with that being said, Cal has helped Harrow tremendously (who i incorrectly predicted would not come back after his Christmas hiatus) and looks to have improved Wiltjer quite a bit. so it is not impossible it can’t happen to Archie. i wish he just didn’t come off so selfish.

6. tyson
    12:33 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

3–every player on this team is “a product of the AAU system”. can’t use that as an excuse.

7. UK2001
    12:34 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

Archie needs to pass the damn ball. His offense would improve with 3-4 more assists per game. Can you imagine checking a rivals website 24 7 just waiting to post at every given chance? Me neither. 3 in a row dirty birds, maybe 4.

8. Here We Go Now
    12:35 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

Amen Cal!

9. Archie's Agent
    12:35 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

Archie needs to average about 17 points per game to be drafted. He needs to take 15 shots per game. This is the agreement we had with Cal.

10. UK Freshmen
    12:36 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

How can you expect a team to work as a team if the coach keeps focusing on individual players?

11. Archie's Agent
    12:38 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

Passing the ball is not what Archie will do. His job is to score. The other players job is to pass the ball to Archie.

12. L1C4
    12:40 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

BBN, enjoy the NIT this year, lol!!!!

13. Bluebarn
    12:41 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

Archie works hard during games, he just needs to work on his shooting a little bit and the ability to see more than one option at a time. The shooting will get better. The ability to see options is a little more difficult. It can be compared to a running back seeing two openings and determining in a split second which option to take. He has always been able to run through his primary “opening” in the past and it will take a little “reprogramming” to get past that mindset. He will revert from time to time, but eventually he will get past it. The drill Cal described should work well.

14. L1C4
    12:41 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky Effect, lol!!!!!

15. UK2001
    12:42 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

2012>1983

16. L1C4
    12:44 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

Is cal really a coach or a manager?

17. L1C4
    12:45 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

RP is a real coach.

18. R. Smith
    12:46 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

I noticed there wasn’t much editorial opinion included in this blog entry from the KSR writer.

19. L1C4
    12:46 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

By the way BBN,any history prior to 2000 is useless, no one cares.

20. Syrin
    12:46 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

#6 – That’s a stupid thing to say. Every player has different strengths, and Archie’s is taking it to the basket, so that’s ALL his AAU coaches had him do. Please think before posting

21. UK Freshmen
    12:48 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

God I hate this team, all its players, and most of all Cal. Give me sweet Sixteen Crean or 16 second Pitino any day of the week.

22. js
    12:49 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

#3 i agree with most of what you said, but also agree with number #6. If he would just learn to play team ball this team would be so much better. #11 sarcasm, I love (at least I hope that’s what you’re doing).

23. Real Deal
    12:55 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

Just accept who Archie is, it is not going to get ant better. Only 12 games to go.

24. theSkinny81
    12:55 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

14 – 3 in a row. Success Effect! lol

19 – In that case, Louisville has ZERO NC’s… lol

25. Syrin
    12:55 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

#22 – He will, and he is, but he has YEARS of AAU mentality where his job is to take it straight to the basket. he has MONTHS of learning to play an ENTIRELY different way. Remember Tiger Woods modified his swing three times during his career. His game was bad (by Tiger’s standards) for 18 months EACH time. You all act like it’s just a matter of flipping a switch which is ridiculously naive.

26. L1C4
    12:58 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

I read a book once. It took me years. Who ever said Dr. Seuss is an easy read?

27. L1C4
    12:58 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

My team has lost 3 straight, 2 were unranked. I forgot how terrible PS3 was until yesterday.

28. L1C4
    12:59 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

Hey, have you read my post about the Cats being in the NIT? It is soooo original and funny I thoght I would post it again. Am I good or what?

29. L1C4
    12:59 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

RP is a real coach. You see that play he drew up for PS3 at the end yesterday? Genius

30. L1C4
    1:00 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

My Tardinal team is my true passion, second only to coming on to this website and showing my insecurites for all to see!

31. Archie's Agent
    1:01 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

Am I clever or what? Do you get me UK fans? I am downgrading Archie in a very clever way. This is so funny I will keep it up. Perhaps I will take it on the road as well.

32. L1C4
    1:02 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

Still ranked, cant find uk, DukE is ranked also. I guess I should go back to the preseason to find uk, lol!!!!!

33. Mike
    1:03 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

Now and Then….they didn’t want to play us and now they can’t wait.

34. L1C4
    1:03 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

My team hasnt won a NC in 27 seasons!!

35. L1C4
    1:04 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

RP or vacated wins …… RP of course.

36. L1C4
    1:06 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

My team is on a losing streak and fading faster than a RP quickie. I’ll hate on the defending champs to ease the pain

37. Wildcatsteeler
    1:06 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

I haven’t had a problem with Goodwin all season. He makes some bad decisions but he’s a freshman. And at least he gives 100%.

38. L1C4
    1:12 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

We should change #L1C4 to #L1CHowFastWeCrumbleUnderThePressureOfBeing#1. Not surprising since uoflol has NEVER BEEN NUMBER 1.

39. tyson
    1:19 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

20 (syrin)– grow up before you post.

40. mudcreekmark
    1:31 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

I guess we all are spoiled by our incoming freshmen players. They had almost always been really good really quick. The only one I can think of is Stacey Poole that didn’t play at a high level. You all will say Wiltjer but he played really well for the minutes he got last year. I think what we’re seeing this year is what freshmen usually look like.Imagine having to play Stacey Poole 34 minutes a game. That is what we are forced to do with Goodwin. We have to play him because we don’t have anyone that can take his place. All of our freshmen need to come back for at least one more year and work on their games before they should even think about trying to go up against the best players in the world.

41. fireant
    1:48 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

I will be on board when he starts to pass the ball to open players instead of shoot it himself.

42. uk3k
    1:52 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

I was born in 1988, I will be 25 years old this year.. How many championships has “duh-ville” won in my lifetime? (go back to drinkin’ your sorrows away TARDS …. in the crown royal fashion I’m assuming, you line-bearded weed smoking douche bag losers)

43. WMWE
    2:08 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

The agent keeps spouting off. That’s the problem. No freshman in college should never talk to an agent, much less have one.

44. Re:Tard Fans
    2:55 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

Definition of insanity- stalking the blogsite of the nation’s premier basketball program and offer advice, instruction and infantile scatological humor following one’s own team’s self-immolation.

45. syrin
    3:05 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

39 – Take the dick out of your mouth before you post. And while you’re at it, the one in your ass as well, fk tard

46. Bledsoe's Biceps
    3:26 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

I have tried to avoid any comments directed toward Archie and focused on Cal. ie. Why does he continue to give Archie a pass to stay in the game and quickly removes others who screw up? I’m glad Cal spoke out and reminded people to put the focus on him and not the players. But why has Cal waited this long to address this topic? He’s had absolutely no problem calling out Wiltjer, Poythress, Harrow or even Noel when they have not lived up to his expectations. Why the kid glove treatment for Archie? Is Archie that fragile? Does he have some good pics on Cal? Or is Cal trying to not say anything to damage his NBA stock, so he moves on and Cal does not have a log jam at the SG spot next year?

47. Sp0rtsFreq
    5:11 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

Agree that our guard play has been the problem with this team for most of the year, but it’s not just Archie! Despite the deluge of questionable shots, lately, his production-per-minute has still been the BEST of the 3 guards, and it’s not really even close!! (He’s actually #2 on the team right now!!)

Harrow, despite being lauded for great play and not turning the ball over, has taken an almost equal number of questionable shots…actually more shots per-minute and at a lower %…..and he seems to spend most of his time looking for his own shot instead of trying to get others (i.e. Poythress, Noel, Wiltjer, etc…) involved. Not good traits for a point guard!

Mays is recognized for being the experienced, “calming force” on this team, but his per-minute production is awful…..8th best on the team…..which means that he should probably be nothing more than a designated zone-buster on this team, yet Cal is currently playing him as an unquestioned starter….3rd most minutes on team….a full 5-7 mintues more than his #1 and #3 players….Wiltjer and Poythress!!

Anyhow, just wanted to agree with the article and with others above……Archie definitely has some things he’s working through right now, but he’s not the only guard struggling….despite catching the most heat for it!

48. Dane Brammage
    5:38 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

Archie gets it.

Simply put, it makes sense to get your NBA before your degree.

49. L1C4(in a row)
    5:54 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

My coach vacates wins. Currently has vacated 3 in a row. Soon to be 4. I’m so thankful that my big brother is successful enough to have a site that I can stalk and cry on. Since I haven’t enough friends myself to have one of my own.

50. goukats
    6:27 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

Whatever Archie is doing does’nt seem to be working.His freethrow shooting is atrocious,as his reckless drives to the basket.He would be awsome in the intramural league.

51. "pass me the rock"
    6:41 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

Old habbits are hard to break and Archie is a ball hog…Alex has actually played hard in 1 game out the last 10 maybe…. So if you want the fan base to quit fussin’ about there play give us some of that demonstrated performance you always talk about Calipari? I think most fans have curved their expectations as far as championship aspirations. All we really want to see from the team at this point is effort and improvement but it is always been 2 steps forward and one back. This week if Archie and Alex don’t start getting it we can all but book the NIT. Cal recruited these guys and this his system the one and done. Cal when you came here you came to win right? Kentucky basketball fans would be very comparable to Alabama football fans, we both demand excellence and championships. So Cal since you are not at one of the outpost jobs you claim you once had, step up and except the criticism of your players they have earned it. Effort, team play, and defense are all things that every team can excercise no matter the talent level….as fans that would go along way to keep the hater’s off arh and ally.

52. "pass me the rock"
    6:48 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

Also Calipari called Terrance Jones a selfish Mother-F-er on national TV. Cal have you called Archie that yet, cause when you called Terrance that he seemed to turn around. One can only imagine how you treat and talk to your players behind closed doors. Last night the players seemed to agree the term you used “torture” was fair for the way certain guys were treated.

53. Tennessee Wildcat
    8:03 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

As a Kentucky fan living in Tennessee, I am grateful to have Kentuckysportsradio. The one thing that I hope we don’t do is drink the Kool Aid too much. I really feel that Cal is in a difficult position involving Goodwin. He really needs Goodwin to get better to leave, but Archie just isn’t getting it done yet. Lets be honest involving the players, and at this point, Archie Goodwin has no business even thinking NBA. That may create a log jam at the guard spots next year, but it is painfully obvious he needs another year to stay out of the D league. Just my two cents.

54. UK kittykat
    8:10 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

46) I agree with you. Why is Archie allowed to stay in the game after multiple selfish plays and turnovers in consecutive trips down the court while everyone else is pulled from the game the second they do something wrong? Look at the box scores for this season, on average, Archie leads the team in turnovers by far. When I see that he wants to win as a team and not be a one man show, then I will get on board.

55. eastcoastcat
    9:46 pm January 27, 2013 Permalink

Go Archie. The true blue stick behind their cats no matter what. Keep growing, working hard and sky is the limit.