John Calipari Isn’t A Fan Of The Local Newspaper

If you’re nothing like me, you’ve always wondered what goes down inside a Lexington Rotary meeting.  Business deals?  Evil belly laughs?  Virgin sacrifices?  Unless one of us one of us magically becomes an outstanding leader in our vocation or achieves and important position in our firm, we might never know.  But thanks to Matt Jones on KSR this morning, we know what happened at yesterday’s meeting.  Coach Cal happened.

John Calipari was the guest speaker and after saying that the only time he saw a newspaper in Memphis was when he ran over it with his car and noting that he won’t even go that far in Lexington, Coach Cal went a step further.  He told the group that he knows that the local paper is negative and said that in five years, it will be a once-a-week newspaper.  There was apparently some debate between those in attendance about whether Cal was referencing newspapers in general or the Herald-Leader specifically, but that’s not really important.  What matters is that we finally have a foot in the door of the Rotary’s secrets.  We shall all soon be enlightened.

Article written by Thomas Beisner

31 Comments for John Calipari Isn’t A Fan Of The Local Newspaper

1. GoCats2
    11:06 am October 14, 2011 Permalink

What is this “newspaper”? I googled “newspaper” and found no results.

2. mocha
    11:06 am October 14, 2011 Permalink

I was living in Japan when Cal signed on to coach UK.
    My Dad arrived to visit me there on 4/2 I believe and brought this newspaper with him, which was a nice surprise.
    it’s now framed and part of the UK tribute room.

3. catcrawler
    11:09 am October 14, 2011 Permalink

He gets it. (not the LHL, but IT)

4. SexnNursinHomes
    11:10 am October 14, 2011 Permalink

1- haha
    2- nice story.

John Clay looks like Burt from Sesame Street on that front page.

5. Big Whiney Baby
    11:18 am October 14, 2011 Permalink

Everyone is against me. Stop picking on me!!

6. Joker Blows
    11:19 am October 14, 2011 Permalink

coach cal is dead on! Newspapers are losing their appeal. Too many ways to get information…and as people receive information now compared to 10-20 years ago we are seeing (exposed to)how poorly the reporting and editorials are. Liberal rags like the LHL are losing subscriptions every year, laying off employees, etc. Yet they are keeping their strategy of diluting the truth to promote their liberal (socialist) opinions, candidates and to do their best to expose anything that they can show UK basketball is doing wrong…whether its a small insignificant issue or a large issue. It is their job to stick it to the program when ever possible. UK basketball and the players/coaches have done so so much good for Lexington and Kentucky but 99% of that is never discussed or shown. Thank goodness KSR shows the good stuff..eventually LHL will catch on…but it will be too late.

7. GoCats2
    11:21 am October 14, 2011 Permalink

#6 Way to get it started, political fight in 3…2…1….

8. Big D
    11:23 am October 14, 2011 Permalink

How are you guys gonna trash Tipton without the paper ? LOL

9. Holden McGroin
    11:23 am October 14, 2011 Permalink

Boom! goes the Cal. Suck that, LHL. I believe this is Cal’s backhanded way of saying to the BBN, if you want Tipturd out, quit buying the damn paper. (a much classier way of saying it, than what spurrier did).
    I absolutely love it.

10. NBA league pass
    11:28 am October 14, 2011 Permalink

I think Cal should take it a step further and make it difficult on them to get player interviews, access, etc. All they do is trash him and the program at every opportunity, I wish he would stick it to em.

11. omg
    11:29 am October 14, 2011 Permalink

6- you Meredith lay off the Limbaugh. Do you honestly think the lull are socialists? Too funny

12. lexslamman
    11:33 am October 14, 2011 Permalink

The newspaper I work for has increased circulation and advertising revenue. I guess newspapers are only failing in areas full of illiterate conservatives.

13. ThatsAShame
    11:36 am October 14, 2011 Permalink

lexlamann – I thought you worked in a hospital?

14. Imarappertoo
    11:39 am October 14, 2011 Permalink

The word newspaper is an oxymoron.

15. KentuckyRLD
    11:40 am October 14, 2011 Permalink

The real way to kill the lhl is to attack their advertisers. Let them know that as long as they advertise in the lhl you won’t shop there. It won’t matter to the big guys like walmart and kroger, but it will make a real difference to the smaller locally owned businesses.

16. ibleedblue
    11:45 am October 14, 2011 Permalink

Its not just negativity in sports by newspapers, its the whole newspaper. From sports to politics to news, the herald and courier are negative inside out.

17. SeoulCat
    11:51 am October 14, 2011 Permalink

As the child of a former Rotary District Governor (Kentucky-Ohio-Michigan), I can assure you that Rotary Club meetings are boring, mundane, and completely devoid of anything interesting, at all….that is, if you consider the secret society meeting in Kubrick’s “Eyes Wide Shut” to be boring, mundane, and completely devoid of anything interesting, at all. I think that entire scene was filmed at the annual regional meeting in Columbus, 1998.

18. NOTCraig
    11:53 am October 14, 2011 Permalink

Don’t attack their local advertisers! That only contributes to a negative local business climate. Just don’t buy the the paper. The rest will take care of itself.

19. Al's IndiCats
    12:05 pm October 14, 2011 Permalink

Many moons ago I used to subscribe to the LHL. After reading it I would either recycle or have other uses for it. One was lining my Parrot’s cage with it, until one day I came from home and found his droppings all over the floor just outside the cage. When I asked him WTF is going on he replied, I lined it with the sports section with Tiptons article on top and he thought there was enough SH!T on it already.

20. Al's IndiCats
    12:07 pm October 14, 2011 Permalink

C’mon that was a good story….

21. g
    12:33 pm October 14, 2011 Permalink

I love when people put politics into a sports discussion <3

22. bung
    12:33 pm October 14, 2011 Permalink

the LHL owners are in Cali i think…

23. It's a Celebration
    12:48 pm October 14, 2011 Permalink

It’s no secret a lot of newspapers are owned or funded by liberals.

24. HillbillyInBC
    12:51 pm October 14, 2011 Permalink

The Mountain Eagle is a once-a-week newspaper, and it’s way better than the Herald-Leader. And the H-L comics section can’t compete with “Speak Your Piece” for hilarity.

25. lexslamman
    12:56 pm October 14, 2011 Permalink

13.

Started my journalism career 3 months ago.

26. Dude
    1:00 pm October 14, 2011 Permalink

All newpapers are dying. Only the older generations read them. Younger generations get their news from alternative sources.

27. Lori M
    1:21 pm October 14, 2011 Permalink

Unless you do a screen grab of everything you read on the internet, a newspaper is becoming the only on-the-record journalism. Way too easy to change a story that goes online and claim it didn’t happen.

28. the other guy
    2:42 pm October 14, 2011 Permalink

I was there and he was talking about large newspapers in general that are always going the “gotcha” route. he mentioned small community based papers that existed to promote a community as the newspaper of the future. While he was referencing all newspapers in general he was doing so in response to a question about the Leader. Given the context, he left little room for doubt that he was thinking of the HL as one of the papers that enjoyed knocking people/the community down and thus would be a once a week paper in the future.

He also asked an interesting question of the audience. “Am I a democrat or a republican?”

29. bryce stephens
    3:19 pm October 14, 2011 Permalink

I think the high school paper i write for gets more views than the LHL because we dont trash any of our sports, coaches, or players

30. WHEN DO WE FIRE JOKER
    6:36 pm October 14, 2011 Permalink

Given the negative slant by the LHL towards UK, I think the University should not grant interviews; not issue press credentials to the LHL sports journalist a$$holes; and Coach Cal should ignore their questions at press conferences and just say “next question” and then they will have a real reason to feel negatively towards the University.

31. Thanks
    7:59 am October 15, 2011 Permalink

The HL is a trash rag not worth the paper it’s printed on.