Joel Pett Continues to Make Friends

werwe

If you were on the site this past week, then you surely know the story of Joel Pett and his Calipari cartoon above that sent everyone into a 48 hour frenzy. We visited the issue a great deal here and my conclusion remains what it was after I initially saw it. Pett has a right to draw such cartoons, and as a fan of his work generally, I think it is one of his weaker efforts (even Louisville message board neanderthals can think up of better Calipari quips than “hey he has two trophies vacated!”). What I couldn’t understand is what the upside is for the Herald Leader in running such cartoons, especially when combined with Jerry “The Nattering Nabob of Negativism” Tipton’s daily reporting. Since most of you don’t read the Herald, it is worth noting that Joel Pett has this response today in its pages. If you are the type who doesn’t like to click on Herald-Leader links, here are the relevant parts:

As with the infamous fatwah declared against the Danish cartoonists a couple of years back for drawing Mohammed, there are often undercurrents of tribalism or religious fanatacism in play, which brings us to University of Kentucky basketball.

I got off the plane Tuesday afternoon and have spent nearly every waking hour since dealing with angry hoop fans, displeased, to put it mildly, at the way I lampooned UK Coach John Calipari after he refused to play Indiana in Bloomington again.

A dozen or so have canceled their papers. Many dozens have sent me e-mails, most of them unprintable, some containing veiled threats. A handful called my home, one at 2 a.m., claiming to be outside. A UK fan posted my home address on the Internet and suggested it as a target for vandalism. A couple of correspondents lectured me that IU students treated Calipari and the Cats rudely in Bloomington during last season’s thriller. Imagine that.

Now, I went to IU, have pretty much split my life between Bloomington and Lexington, have loved both playing and watching basketball for decades and remain incensed that the series is waylaid.

I was dismayed 20 years ago when it was moved to Indianapolis and Louisville, in pursuit of ever more big money. I couldn’t care less about their bottom lines, or that playing in huge arenas prepares the one-and-dones (one-and-domes?) for Final Fours.

A quaint notion, maybe, but I like college games to be played in the college towns.

For all the demands that I apologize, what I really regret is that of all the subjects we cover ? in news, editorials and cartoons ? UK basketball is the only one, with the possible exception of the you’re-with-us-or-the-terrorists Iraq war, that has inspired this level of genuine outrage and passion.

Now that’s just sorry.

Rather than get in a tit for tat with Pett, I simply respond this way. It is the height of arrogance to suggest that topic that Pett thought important enough to draw a cartoon about and stirs up enough emotion in him that he claims to be “incensed”, is not one that UK fans should treat with passion. Those that called Pett’s home or threatened him are obviously completely out of line and should be criticized for their immature and ignorant actions. But the notion that people shouldn’t be upset about what he wrote is disingenuous. Pett drew the cartoon to get a reaction…he did. The reaction was great (people at the Herald Leader have told me that far more than “a dozen” called to cancel subscriptions…but unfortunately for the Herald, most cancelled or quit caring long ago) and for Pett to criticize complaints when he started the subject is a weak response. It isn’t shocking that people around the world put too much emphasis on trivial things like sports over supposed weightier issues, as it has been as such deflecting is a consistent part of the human existence. Kentucky fans care more about basketball than they should, just as Pett likely cares more about “Doonesbury” than any man who has moved past the 1980s ever should. To criticize those who got upset over your work, when the mere reason the work exists is to to make those people upset, while also publishing the work in an entity that gets a major source of its profit from these same readers’ sports passion is hypocritical. Pett being intelligent, surely knows this and that is why I found his writing today disappointing.

If you missed his interview on the radio with me last week, I think he made his points far better and with less egotistical abrasiveness at that point:

Article written by Matt Jones

86 Comments for Joel Pett Continues to Make Friends

1. Drew Franklin
    2:02 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Joel Pett clearly owns a Thesaurus.

2. I thought they said there was "races" like running in Corbin
    2:04 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

I missed the posts of his home address and phone number… Or yes I would have called.. Still might… This guy is a douche… He needs to take his pen, computer or whatever and go home..

3. Mike in Louisville
    2:06 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

The cartoon cracks me up. Clearly a grab for attention from a failing company. My only concern is that UK fans know this guy is an IU graduate, so why even give him the attention?

Oh yeah…first??? …maybe…

4. Mike in Louisville
    2:07 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Fail! Hahaha

5. Paducah UK fan
    2:10 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Maybe he has his head so far into the IU sand pile he does not know UK is in Lexington. If he were in Bloomerstown town the article would still stink but be more understandable.

6. Carlos Santitas
    2:15 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Too douchey for words..

7. MacGruber
    2:15 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Pett called his mother today. She told him he was a no talent ass and hung up.

8. RustyGriswold
    2:18 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Pretty good response from Pett. Unless I’m totally off, he’s saying that of all the controversial subjects he writes about, UK basketball is the only one people are really willing to engage with and stand up for (or against). I think he can be incensed, he can have a controversial opinion and express it, and still be surprised by the level of the outrage. He made the point that the only other response this strong he’d received was about his Iraq War cartoons in 2003. I don’t know…seems pretty sad to me though.

9. Sir Brandon
    2:18 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Quaint notions and snarky cartoons are not good bedfellows. The props one extended to Pett for raving the KSR interview (which thou conducteth with great poise, Master Jones) are dimmed by his intellectually dishonest retort piece.
    Goeth Cayts.

10. Steve Pruitt
    2:18 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Pett is one of the reasons why I quit the HL a couple of years ago. One of the reasons mind you, the complete list was lengthy.

11. CalifCatFan
    2:19 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

It was classless of Mr. Pett to depict the two vacated Final Fours. If he had drawn the cartoon and focused solely on the cancelled IU/UK series, then he could have been taken seriously. Now, as it stands, he is a discredit to his profession. Even BTI has more professionalism than Joel Pett.

12. RustyGriswold
    2:23 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

it strikes me that most folks on here don’t really understand what Pett’s job description entails

13. CrimsonCee
    2:24 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

I think the weak part is glossing over the fact that people invaded this man’s privacy and took the “battle” to his home. All that does is prove that his cartoon struck a nerve. You know, no matter how much joy that title brought to Lexington, every UK fan lives with the voice, in the back of their mind, that this recent run is going to be end in Indianapolis with the NCAA throwing down on Cal once again. Even if it doesnt, the fear will always be there. All these attacks have done is prove that he was right. You’d have to be an idiot, or a Kentucky fan, to not see it. Terrorizing a man and his family for this? There were creeps in Bloomington that did cross the line last December, but congrats, youve shown it goes both ways, as if you didnt already know. Saying his response was weak? He’d be justified if he firebombed a UK bar. Pathetic, and reason no. 4,000,768 that UK is so widely hated amongst otherwise-neutral hoops fans. You ducked IU despite having them at Rupp and now youre ducking acceptable human behavior.

14. Ready 5
    2:26 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

The man draws a cartoon. A cartoon. I really don’t understand why he feels so relevant. I mean, he draws a silly cartoon for craps sakes.

15. RustyGriswold
    2:27 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

#13, whoa now? what’s with the firebomb?

16. Jimmy
    2:29 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Pretty easy for him to say he couldn’t care less about their bottom lines when he doesn’t pay the bills. I chose not to listen to him on KSR and I’m definitely not going to click a link to the lame Lexington Herald.

17. barn
    2:30 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

the reason the UK-iu series went to a neutral site venue in the first place was because latrine queen general boob nite refused to play in Rupp Arena. a fact that is seldom mentioned during all this hoopla. crean refused a chance to play at a ‘neutral site’ in the state of indiana

18. Jenna Tulls
    2:34 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Joel Pett cRock.

Joel Pet Shop Boy.

Jel Pett Cemetery.

19. E
    2:40 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

13) IU chose to not play UK in Indiana twice, never even having to visit Rupp. I can’t see how you reasonably deduct that UK is ducking IU.

20. Jimcats
    2:41 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

I know it’s a minority opinion, but I thought the cartoon was funny. Certainly not inappropriate, considering Cal’s recent comments. Hope the cartoonist knows that not all UK fans are so blinded by their rose-colored glasses that they can’t enjoy some humor at Cal’s expense. After all, Cal is only a great coach. Not a god, not perfect and doesn’t need to be placed on such a large pedestal.

Even a Nat’l championship isn’t enough to buy off my birthright–the TRADITION of UK basketball! It will remain long after Cal and I are gone.

21. We R UK
    2:43 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

13) You sound like a classic IU fan who is jealous of Kentucky. Are you forgetting that OUr is the one who refuses to play? Chickens###s.

22. Adam
    2:44 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

He’s probably still pissed about the NCAA lettin them thar colored’s play.

23. Nicely Done Post 13
    2:45 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

The truth of the cartoon is what has inspired such a response. Had he drawn a cartoon depicting Cal as a devil-worshipping, pedophilic communist, fans would have simply cast it off as the ramblings of a madman because we all know such accusations would be baseless. But he strikes a nerve with the cartoon in question because he plays on the truths about Cal that people like Matt Jones know to be true. Matt and others have repressed and rationalized those things for the sake of winning, but they don’t like to be reminded of the truth. It makes them uncomfortable and leads to these kinds of reactions.

24. HenryEarl
    2:47 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

18 Joel Pett-ulence
    Joel Pett-ophile
    Joel Pedd Egg

25. Ukjerry
    2:47 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Pett just needs to be ignored and like any scab it will dry up an fall away if left alone. So the best thing for a puss filled scab is rip it off clean it. Which we have this week. Now let’s walk away ignore the small child crying that he is and it he will be forgotten like lasts weeks last place derby horse
    Ukjerry living in lousyville. And Luvin all the UL hate comin my way lolol

26. Blue Cat
    2:54 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

# 12 I don’t think folks on here rally care what Pett’s job description entails.
    #13 Why don’t you go back to the Indiana blog and look at the pictures again. By the way NO FEAR dream on.

27. Truefan
    2:55 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Everyone who thought Joel Pett was a petty moron, well now he has opened his filthy mouth and proved it.

28. TheInsultDog
    2:56 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

23. You seem like a level headed guy……For me to poop on!

29. Blue4ever
    2:56 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Best way to handle trolls like Pett, Tilting et al is to simply ignore them.

30. Who cares
    2:56 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

He is a self admitted IU fan. After listening to the KSR
    interview he sounded like a typical IU fan.
    This turd wants to talk about UK fans? Does he
    not hear himself? By the way he should get his facts
    straight on whom pulled the plug on the series.

31. Soooo.
    2:56 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Sooooo, he can say whatever he wants because he has a column, but expects zero backlash when he writes something unfounded and offensive to an opposing fanbase? Cal was the one who refused to play in Bloomington? Funny, I though the Athletic Department handled those things.

Joel Pett’s the one eyed snake 5-6 times a day.See, I can do it too, only I don’t have a column.

32. gottodoit
    2:57 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

For Pett to use the word ‘fatwah’ in comparing reaction to his silly, inaccurate and inane cartoon to the anguish the Danish cartoonists must have undergone a couple of years ago for characterizing Mohammed, is – just like his cartoon – silly, inaccurate and inane.

No, Pett, you don’t quite rank in that exalted category.

You are such a child.

33. Soooo.
    2:59 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Oh, and he missed the Final Four we had LAST year, while IU was in the NIT.

He’s Petthetic

34. IWantJustA"K"OnTheFootballHelmets
    3:03 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Very curious about what the real cancellation numbers the H-L gave Matt Jones. What is ‘far more than a dozen’? 24? 50? 100?

35. kk
    3:03 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

I don’t care what Joel Pett’s job description is. He’s just another IU fan who has sour grapes because he wanted the Cats back in Bloomington next year thinking their nasty, hostile, obnoxious fans might win another
    game for them. If they really wanted to play UK they would play the neutral site. He just happens to have a pen and paper and bigger outlet than most to throw his tantrum.

36. G
    3:07 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Oh heaven forbid someone make fun of Cal the Savior. Get over it. Joel Pett isn’t the only one who thinks Cal is slimy.

37. MacGruber
    3:10 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

36. Thamel is that you?

38. stayonpoint
    3:13 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

If Joel Petts issue is with the UK-IU series ending then he should make that the focal point of not only the cartoon but also his letter. No need to bring up the tired rhetoric of Cals vacated final fours and even more so his attitude toward the one and dones. We all know Cals history it has been printed nearly as many times as the bible and discussed at least as much it seems. Keep beatin that dead horse it aint moving and the dog wont hunt no more. Leave the players outta this, it was a cheap shot. The whole topic is starting to be played out. Yes it wld be nice if the series clda kept going but its done for now so if your pissed about that then at least keep that as the topic

39. UK > IU
    3:14 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Hate to say it, but Pett just made us his b**** and is getting what he wants. I wish the Sweet 16 beatdown was the last UK/IU game, but unfortunately we’re letting them win this whole cartoon fiasco. Let’s just drop it, continue to bask in #8’s glory, and let IU fret. You never know when #9 is coming, so we shouldn’t spend these days talking about IU – we won 3 games AFTER IU. Championships are hard to get, even with Cal, let’s celebrate Anthony, Michael, Terrence, Marquis, Doron, Darius, Eloy, and the gang. Let’s also talk them up before the draft and look forward to next season, which DOES NOT include an IU regular season game. Way too much IU talk on KSR – what about UK fans who don’t live near Indiana and could care less about them?

40. Jenna Tulls
    3:15 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Joel stu-Pett

Joel Pett-iful

Guy’s an ass.

What did he expect?

Fool should know: You reap what you sew.

May he continue to receive – bountifully.

41. Jenna Tulls
    3:16 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

sow

42. 44 Stitches
    3:17 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

@34… I would like to know also.

43. erendale
    3:19 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

It’s a cartoon. One man’s opinion. The only relevance it has, is what you give it.

44. UK > IU
    3:21 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

I’d rather read 100 posts of the following than one more IU post:

1) Will Darius, Doron, and Marquis go in the 1st round?
    2) 3 Cats in the lottery?
    3) Will Eloy snag a 2nd round selection or free agency signing?
    4) What will the starting lineup and rotation look like next season?
    5) AMILE, JULIUS…

Use the Kentucky (Sports Radio) Effect to further our interests, not IU’s.

45. P.L. Wallingford, III
    3:24 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

One of those tools that doesn’t understand “profit”….Yeah, I’m sure he never cashes one of his paychecks. What a miserable jerkweed.

46. UKBlue
    3:29 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

This cartoon is the classic example of the saying You Can’t Fix Stupid !! As the saying goes: You don’t shit where you eat. Whoever came up with the business idea of lets constantly piss off the Team we cover & their fan base should be put into the Hall of Fame of Stupidity !! And they really wonder why their business is broken, why they are losing money, and constantly having to lay people off.

47. nassau65
    3:35 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Joel’s mom walked in on him in the bathroom this morning and caught him. He told her “it’s my soap and my peepee, i’ll wash it as fast as i want to”.

48. P.L. Wallingford, III
    3:37 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

It also occurs to me that this dipwad was taken aback by the response to his “cartoon”. He likely thinks we should all take off our shoes & have a serious discussion about the issues he raised while cuddling with our partner & Kindle around a roaring blaze.

49. Bob Day
    3:48 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Personally, I thought Pett’s cartoon was pretty tasteless in that its main goal seemed to be to drag Calipari through a bunch of muck. Now that I’ve heard him speak and read some of his words though, I really think he needs to stick with drawing pictures. Anyway Matt, I feel you handled the entire matter well overall.

50. Ira Tatum
    3:55 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Has dumb arse he ever done a cartoon about his idol idiot Robt. Montgomery Knight’s malicious comments about UofK?

I agree with dropping the Lex Herald Leader.

Drop them.

Unless you enjoy Tipturd and Petticoat Junction.

51. sad
    4:00 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Pett is only in the same category as the Danish cartoonist in Pett’s delusional and egotistical dreams. What a discrace to the memory of the Danish cartoonist Pett’s comments are. The truth of the matter is that he is a Hoosier fan in Lexington and he can’t separate his negative emotions from rational thought on the topic of Kentucky versus Indiana. Ironically he wants to shame any local resident who is as irrational as himself.

52. Bledsoe's Biceps
    4:14 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

#2 – So you gladly want to perpetuate the image of being an ignorant or immature UK fan? It is that type of attitude that makes you exactly the same as the IU fans, that have been ridiculed for their bad behaviors. Do you think UK, Cal or the UK fan base benefit in any way from your delusions of self importance?

I hope this is the last post on this topic and IU in general. It’s over/done/finished. They are no longer on the schedule. Time to move on. Although I agree with your article, it only further incites the small percentage of the more idiotic UK fans to do stupid shit that gives all UK fans a bad name.

53. Mudcreekmark
    4:16 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

I really don’t like Joel Pett.

54. Levi
    4:18 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

I still do not understand why this fool doesn’t get more flak for trying to draw comparisons to Syria, the Iraq war, and jihadists to Kentucky fans. He acts as if his life is in danger while ignoring that people in Bloomington actually had to go to the hospital. This guy is a self-agrandizing jerk.

To compare sports in America to the Iraq war or the tension between old and new Islam is just silly.

55. Travis Ford's Jersey
    4:20 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Joel Pett is an ass hat. Its really that simple.

56. Ridge Runner
    4:29 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Pett & IU = Irrelevant now. The reaction from BBN from the cartoon was expected the first couple of days -as we will defend our own unlike no other, but now… Pett joins IU as yesterdays news and we move on.

57. Ayatollah Wholepainey
    4:40 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Off with the buffoon’s drawing hand!

Render him more senseless; Ayatollah orders lobotomy!

58. Dane Brammage
    5:12 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

I listened to the interview.
    Clearly, an Eye You fan.
    Sounds like Homer Simpson’s neighbor.
    Kudos to him for having the gonads to do the interview.
    However, he did not help his case; I have no sympathy.
    He will get what is coming to him – if he has not already.
    And that will be continued heat.
    While I am for freedom of expression, he must also consider the heat he will take as freedom of expression (so long as it remains legal). However, the burden should be on the Herald-Leader (for allowing the cartoon to print). His work exemplifies Newton’s Third Law: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

59. Cats #8
    5:13 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Another classless iu troll…

60. Usernametaken
    5:49 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

In keeping with his theme, the guy fancies himself quite the martyr, doesn’t he?

61. nolablue
    6:01 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Typical hoosieryankee. Poke the dog poke the dog poke the dog, now go cry Waaah waaah waaah when it
    finally bites you. Same idiots, differ’nt generation. GO CAYTS and GO CAYTS FANS!!!!!

62. UKinNC
    6:17 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

So Joel’s father was an IU professor, and he graduated from IU. And he tells us with a straight face that “…(I) have pretty much split my life between Bloomington and Lexington,” as if we’re supposed to believe, Oh, OK: he’s kinda impartial, and let’s give him the benefit of the doubt that he can see our point of view all. Uh-huh.

I’ve watched this guy’s smug, correct arrogance since he first set foot in the Herald-Leader, however many years ago. He simply loves to give people the needle. And he’s got a Pulitzer which, in his mind, validates it all. Don’t bet me started on the history and the PCness of the Pulitzer Prize.

Joel, you’re just an arrogant, smug *sshole who has a podium.

63. UKinNC
    6:27 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

I’m not finished yet. I just had to go get some pizza. I wanted to say I know whereof I speak about guys like Joel. I was an editorial cartoonist for an Indianapolis newspaper many years ago. So Joel, been there, done that. No, I have no Pulitzer, but I was once chosen by Sigma Delta Chi journalist fraternity as a cartoonist of the month, for what it’s worth. I’m no BSer.

Guys like Joel and Jerry Tipton live to stir the s**t. They perversely measure their success by their number of enemies. You, me and all the rest who are offended that our own local newspaper is on a jihad against the greatest institution we have is EXACTLY what makes their day. It’s why they come to work in the morning. They love to “stick it to The Man.” It’s that simple.

It’s kinda like the old saying, “Opinions are like a**sholes; everybody’s got one.”

God forbid the day that some NCAA infraction, however slight, is exposed. These guys will have been validated.

64. Catdog
    6:54 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

The subject of classless Joel Pett cartoons and NY Times hit pieces,
    Hell, Cal must know how it feels to be Republican!
    And you Matt, having to take on your brethren liberal members of the media, how does that sit with you?

65. CommonSense
    7:16 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

I hate when people misuse the word ignorant. I mean, it’s not such an awful thing. It’s usually used with race, but that’s often misguided. I’m ignorant about a lot of things; gymnastics, golf and cricket just to name a few. It doesn’t make me a bad person. Matt, in the future…use ignorant correctly. In general, I don’t think the people calling his house are lacking knowledge (as they are actually reading the paper), they’re just overreacting. I mean unless you know every single one of them, and they are in fact dumb you should leave such blanket statements for the dogs.

66. Jenna Tulls
    7:23 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

These sorry-arse IU-POS ‘think’ with flushable mindset that they are better than everyone else. Even in the Big tenor. What a joke.

Kinda like dookies. What a joke.

Two words, reduced: Napoleon Complex.

Modern day Suffragettes.

67. UKinNC
    7:25 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Joel, I have a question. But first, here are a couple of observations that trouble me:

1) On the Pulitzer site, they give a catalog of 21 of your cartoons. Only two of them have persons of color in them. (I can’t tell whether they’re Afro-Americans or hispanics; their skin color is definitely darker than the other people in the frames, so I must conclude that they are minorities.

2) I did a Google search of “Joel Pett cartoons” > images. I stopped at the first 180 cartoons because I’d already seen enough. Only 12 of the first 180 on the SERPs showed persons of color. (I threw out those depicting President Obama, as he’s the assumed primary political figure who would be depicted, and he’s obviously a minority.) Only 6 of those 180 frames had what a reasonable person would interpret as black/hispanic people in them. That’s only 0.97%.

Now, the latest US Census says that the percentage of blacks in the US is 12.6%. And the percentage of hispanics is 16.3%.

I am compelled, therefore, Joel to ask: are you racist? Do you have a some kind of subliminal problem with minorities? Your Pulitzer Prize winning cartoons don’t reflect the proportions of minorities in American society and therefore appear to be elitist and perhaps racist.

This kind of analysis is not unlike the level of sneaky-a**ed, below the belt stuff you peddle in your cartoons.

68. mark
    7:33 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

The only thing that would sting the Herald Leader would be a boycott of companies that advertise with them.

69. Roger Daltry
    7:34 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

The Sun shines (bright on my Old Kentucky Home).

People forget.

O’BAMA is 50% (half) White.

70. dave
    7:50 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

This guy a is a little gay bitch that loves the attention he’s getting.

71. bigbluedoc
    7:59 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Clearly Joel has illustrated for us why he is a cartoonist and not a writer. While I would argue that has little artistic ability, one may grasp quickly as you read his text that he is worse with the English lanquage.

Again, go to Hell Heralad Leader and take your hacks with you!!

72. Bob the Replier
    8:05 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

It is liberal hacks like Pett why the HL and it’s parent company are loosing readers and money.

73. RustyGriswold
    8:25 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Cancel your newspaper subscription because you don’t like a cartoon or even a cartoonist? More to the paper than just Pett and Tipton. They cover other things. Like non-sports things. The majority of it, actually. Who knew?

74. IWantJustA"K"OnTheFootballHelmets
    8:59 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

#73 The problem with your thinking is that EVERYTHING in the herald leader is awful and has been for years.

75. Mack
    9:04 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

So now he is comparing UK fans to muslim-terrorists.

76. silverado
    9:28 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Unbelievable that this is still raging. It’s just not worth it.

77. Big Daddy
    9:31 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

64 and 72 nailed it. Typical liberal trash. Doonesbury is a good comparison for the lib-tards.

78. Jorge Pancho
    9:44 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Kudos to #13 and #23 for having the capacity to acknowledge wit and creativity. Tsk-tsk to the name-callers who display exactly why they do not have the capacity – metal or otherwise – to acknowledge the brilliance of a Pulitzer Prize-winning cartoonist in their own back yard. The man is frequently published in USA Today, among other national periodicals and web sites. Lexington too often proves how undeserving it is to have Joel Pett’s level of talent. But Paul “Bear” Bryant got no better treatment. So, unless you’re on board with all things Wildcat Basketball, the message is clear: “Git yer no-good ass outta town!” Way to keep it classy, BBN. Want my phone number and address?

79. UKinNC
    10:14 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

Kudos to #13?

UK 102, Indiana 90.

80. ron burgundy
    11:16 pm May 13, 2012 Permalink

just come work with me in san diego i need someone to feed baxter

81. #1ukfan
    12:31 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

#13, With you being an IU fan, you are the last person that should be talking about ducking acceptable human behavior (especially of you were a Bob Knight fan). As for the rest of these idiots that are outraged about Pett, get the hell over it. He just drew a picture of the truth, why are you mad? I love UK but damn. I’m not going to cry every time someone has something negative to say about Cal or anyone else. You biatches are making the rest of us look bad. Also, KSR’s opinions suck. They can’t see anything outside of the UK campus. The only thing this site is good for is UK news and Matt Jones is a nerd. He’s unbelievably annoying!

82. Geoff
    3:35 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

You know…when I lived in Lexington, I always ragged on Joel Pett’s cartoons because he has to be the absolutely least subtle voice within his craft… He’s mildly talented, and I do honestly congratulate him on his Pulitzer, but he takes very few liberties toward creativity. Sure, you can give your own ideologies when doing cartoons, such as the above calipari farce… BUT does anybody remember the paper after Obama got elected…? It was THE most obvious material such as a (labeled) oval office complete with every “scandalous” piece of Bush’s 8 years…complete with a paper labeled “Bill of Rights” with footsteps all over it. Obama and his family stood, mouths agape, at the door. All I’m saying is…. We get it… Thanks for spelling it out, bud. Trying to be original and creative, yet being mundane and obvious… This is the cartoonism of Joel Pett.

83. Dana
    9:42 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

What I find most upsetting with his reply as actually not once but twice in the article was comparing all of this to terrorism and with a fatwau. He should be so lucky as to be famous enough for any one to care…

84. Blue2theBone
    10:42 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

I’ve never been a fan of Pett’s cartoons. They generally go way beyond simple political and social commentary to outright disrespect. The Herald Leader, like many other media outlets, long ago gave up on reporting the facts and became focused on promoting their own agenda. Pett is one of many reasons that I cancelled my subscription long ago. His ideology isn’t worthy of commentary. However, his outrage over the criticism that he’s received is laughable at best.

85. grow a pair
    11:48 am May 14, 2012 Permalink

I love Kentucky, dont think Cal is a cheater, and dont agree with the cartoon, but…. really people can we all take a moment to get our panties out of a bundle. It is a newspaper cartoon. It does exactly what it is supposed to do, make an opinionated claim. And frankly the jab is fairly well deserved. Who here honestly agrees with ending the Indiana series, even short term. Cal can talk it off all he wants (and I think Cal is the best thing to happen to UK since Denim jerseys) but regardless of the reasons, the fans lose… both indiana and kentucky fans. Yet just like everything else this day and age, if it doesn’t comply exactly with what someone believes they feel the need to throw a hissy fit. Everyone is so damn thin skinned these days, toughen up a bit and don’t get so offended by a little cartoon someone drew. Who cares anyways, we just won our eighth national championship.
    GO CATS

86. Tampa Satchel
    3:02 pm May 14, 2012 Permalink

People who get upset at cartoons are overly sensitive. I love Cal, but he has two vacated FF’s. What’s wrong with pointing that out? He didn’t try to say he was personally guilty and he doesn’t owe UK a homer’s slant.

People need to get over themselves and quit with the hate rallying like a bunch of crazed Taliban after a Koran burning.

This is not a big deal and the reaction is more newsworthy and embarrassing than the act they are upset about.