Joe B. Hall’s Tuesday News and Views

Good evening, dear KSR readers, and welcome to Tuesday’s News and Views, brought to you by legendary UK head coach Joe B. Hall.  Hall, along with UK graduate Jim Host, was one of 10 members of the Class of 2012 inducted into the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame on Sunday.  He was joined by former coach Dave Robbins of Virginia Union; players Patrick Ewing of Georgetown, Clyde Lovellette of Kansas, Phil Ford of North Carolina, Kenny Sailors of Wyoming, Earl Monroe of Winston-Salem State and Willis Reed of Grambling; and contributor Joe Dean.

Before he was teaching the game to John Calipari with Wheelers’ mustard and ketchup bottles, Joe B. Hall had the unenviable task of succeeding Adolph Rupp. Unfazed by the task, Hall guided the Wildcats for 13 seasons, winning 75 percent of 397 games. Within three years, he reached the NCAA championship game and, in 1978, he earned National Coach of the Year honors while coaching Kentucky to its fifth national title with a 30-2 record. His Wildcat teams won eight SEC championships and earned a Final Four berth for the third time in 1984. He was named SEC Coach of the Year four times. (UKAthletics)

But all those accomplishments aside, Joe B. Hall will never be able to fulfill his lifelong dream of having a longer wingspan than Hasheem Thabeet.  He sized himself up with Thabeet prior to the induction ceremony on Sunday and fell just short of Thabeet’s record reach.  It made for a really great photo, though:

And here’s Joe B. with Patrick Ewing and Earl “The Pearl” Monroe:

Let’s get it…

The big news of the day came from Coach Cal’s weekly radio show when he announced a potential return to practice on Tuesday for Ryan Harrow.  Calipari said Harrow was with the team on Monday in the Joe Craft Center and spent some time on the treadmill.  They’ll evaluate him Tuesday afternoon and see if he is ready for practice.  Cal said he didn’t know if Harrow would be available for the Morehead State game on Wednesday, but he didn’t sound confident that his point guard will be ready for game action.  Harrow has lost seven pounds since the “flu-like symptoms” showed up prior to the season opener against Maryland.

Be sure to listen to KSR in the morning when Sean Woods will join us for an interview to discuss his comments about the negative vibe at the BBN Cares telethon and how the game has changed since he played in Lexington.  Woods caused a stir Monday morning when he said the Kentucky players had a sense of entitlement at the WKYT broadcast for Hurricane Sandy relief and they didn’t act like Kentucky basketball players.  “They don’t know Kentucky,” he said of Calipari’s new group.  “When I walked in the door, I know about every player, almost everything history-wise about the University of Kentucky. But these kids don’t, and it’s a shame, but that’s just the way society is.”

Kentucky dropped in the polls this week after taking a loss courtesy of the Duke Blue Devils.  The Cats are now No. 8 in the AP poll and No. 7 in the USA Today Coaches poll.  UK is the highest-ranked one loss team in both polls.  We’ll take it.

The team at the top of both polls, Indiana, didn’t look all that impressive against Georgia on Monday in the Progressive Legends Classic in the Barclays Center.  The Hoosiers trailed Georgia for most of the first half and into halftime, but took the lead and pulled away in the final 10 minutes of the game.  Cody Zeller had just six points in 27 minutes against the Georgia team that already has losses to Southern Miss and Youngstown State.  It could’ve been an upset of the No. 1 team if not for big games from Victor Oladipo and Jordan Hulls.  The two Hoosiers combined for 29 points.

UCLA was another disappointing team on Monday evening.  The 11th-ranked Bruins lost to Georgetown, 78-70, in the other semifinal game of the Progressive Legends Classic.  Shabazz Muhammad scored 15 points off the bench in his college basketball debut, while fellow freshman phenom Kyle Anderson added 0 points and six assists.  Georgetown and Indiana will meet Tuesday night at 10:00 ET.

Can someone tell me why Shabazz is playing right now and Peter Jurkin has to sit out Indiana’s first nine games?  Shabazz received airfare and lodging for three unofficial visits; Jurkin received financial aid, legally, from someone who gave $185 to Indiana before he was born.  I don’t get it.  I don’t get it at all.

A limited number of tickets remain for Kentucky’s next two home men’s basketball games against Morehead State (Nov. 21) and LIU-Brooklyn (Nov. 23).  Tickets are available by visiting the UK Ticket Office between the hours of 9:00 a.m. — 4:00 p.m. ET or by calling 1.800.928.2287. Fans can also obtain tickets by going online to UKathletics.com and Ticketmaster.com or Ticketmaster outlets statewide.

eRUPPtion Zone tickets are also available to the public for Friday’s game against LIU-Brooklyn.  Tickets will be $5.00 each (cash only) and are limited to one per person (must be present at time of purchase). Tickets will go on sale 90 minutes prior to tip-off at the Rupp Arena Box Office and are available on a first come/first serve basis.  Additionally, tickets for UK’s games against Lipscomb (Dec. 15), Marshall (Dec. 22) and Eastern Michigan (Jan. 2) go on sale Tuesday, Nov. 20 at 6:00 p.m. ET.

Lower level tickets (based upon availability) will be $50 each, and upper level tickets will be $42 each.  Tickets may be purchased through the UK Ticket Office (800.928.2287), Rupp Arena Box Office (859.233.3535) and Ticketmaster (800.745.3000).  Fans may also obtain tickets online at www.ticketmaster.com or at statewide Ticketmaster outlets.

Joker Phillips on beating Tennessee:  “It would mean a lot just to finish out for these seniors.  There’s a lot of history like that that we’re trying to change, and this would be one of those things that would be a plus, one of the things that this class has changed if we can get it done.  There was some history.  We never beat (Coach Steve) Spurrier; this class got a chance to do it.  Twenty‑some years of not beating Tennessee, this class had the chance to do it.  So this would be another thing they have done that nobody here has done before.”

#BeatTennessee

Conference realignment is picking up steam again after Maryland announced on Monday that it’ll leave the ACC and apply for the Big Ten.  Rutgers will follow the Terps and join the Big Ten’s “Leaders” division.  When asked about realignment, Rick Pitino said Louisville should be the first school the ACC looks to as a replacement for Maryland.  But former ACC commissioner David Corrigan said adding Louisville or Connecticut “isn’t the answer at all” for saving the conference.

In NBA news, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist had 15 points, nine rebounds and four assists in Charlotte’s win over Milwaukee.  The Bobcats have a winning-record.  #MKGEffect

I’ll leave you with pictures of this young pup that never misses a UK basketball game

He gets it.

Go Cats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

64 Comments for Joe B. Hall’s Tuesday News and Views

1. tdogg40330
    11:15 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Whos dog is that?? thats awesome …lol

2. FlySoup
    11:15 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

way to go Joe B!

3. Ridge Runner
    11:22 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Congrats to Coach Hall & well deserved. Hossiers looked “not” like a number 1 team and I am proud of our fellow-sec team pushing them.

tdogg…ya see a dog?
    πŸ˜€

4. tdogg40330
    11:24 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

3) yeah man, that dog is way cooler than this tdogg

IU has their hands full tomorrow night vs Georgetown I think …

5. BAdams
    11:31 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Awwww, reminds me of my late golden retriever. She would watch the games as well and when the players ran down the court and went off screen, she’d run behind the tv lookin for them…makes me miss her πŸ™ But anyway, that’s one smart puppy! Go Joe B! Go Cats! Also Drew, I agree it’s not fair at all. Maybe you should take it upon yourself to ask the NCAA and see why they are so unfair. I have no doubt that if Shabazz was at UK he would never play a college game.

6. tdogg40330
    11:32 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

btw, Patterson had 19 pts and Jones added 12 tonight. Not bad for the former CATS !!!

7. BAdams
    11:32 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Also agree IU looked terribly bad. No excuse for a veteran, don’t care if it is early in the season.

8. goldenretrievermom
    11:33 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Golden Retrievers are so smart!

9. SoCal Will
    11:36 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Let’s honor Joe B. by letting him pick the next football coach….

10. tdogg40330
    11:37 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

7) when have they ever looked all that great?? I’ve said it before and I’ll
    keep sayin it, outside their home gym they are avg at best … I’m not impressed

11. bluehair
    11:48 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

down in front, retriever!!

12. CB
    11:54 pm November 19, 2012 Permalink

Ewing looks like a clean-shaven version of Bald Bull from Punch-out.

13. bgblue
    12:00 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Boogie put 29 point, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, 1 block. Wow. What a smart dog. Ours sleep on a couch while Fox New is on TV.

14. How YOU doin
    12:28 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

The thing that sticks out to me the most is Shabazz Muhammad came off the bench. Haha!

15. tyson
    12:29 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

You puppies are crazy!

16. Han
    1:36 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Can we drop Vandy and one or both of the Mississippi teams from the SEC and add 4-5 teams of our choice from the Big 12, ACC and Big East?

17. dave
    1:54 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Joe B. is a nut. Gotta love it. Ya just got to…

18. NCAA
    5:56 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Because, we just like Jurkin people around.

19. Hans
    6:19 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Mitch Barnhart’s real coaching wish list was just found. It includes: Norv Turner, Marty Schottenheimer, Steve Kragthorpe, Weeb Ewbank and Derrick Ramsey.

And the BBN will take what Mitch decides. Deal with it!

20. InTheKnow
    6:31 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Gary Anderson will be announced for uk in the next 5 to 7 days.

21. prpcat
    6:34 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Shabazz is playing and Jurkin is sitting because the ncaa are a bunch of jerks…….

22. People's Choice
    6:36 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

I bet Matt just glosses over the quotes Woods made. He never asks any hard questions and then acts like he just drilled someone. Keep up the good work. I look forward to softball questions and answers that don’t answer the question.

And who really cares if these players know what happened 40 years before they were born? You go to a school because: 1) to get a good job, 2) it’s affordable, 3) it’s what you got into, or 4) to follow a girl. I think basketball players fall under option 4. If it was up to some of you, we would only have white boys from the hills jacking up 3s.

23. BPsycho
    6:40 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

NC State lol

24. old_school
    6:41 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Congrats to Joe B. Hall. He’s Kentucky to the core and did the program proud as our coach. Many folks didn’t appreciate him during his tenure – but he certainly had success and this honor is well-deserved. I’ll forever remember him in that blue sports coat and rolled up program watching his great teams from the bench. Glad he’s finally getting the recognition he’s earned.

Ya’ll go easy on Sean today. He is a former UK player and has earned the right to share his opinion about the program. What he said about the players wasn’t terrible – just his honest perception – and he wasn’t singling them out but rather noting a trend he sees in an entire generation.

Remember – Woods played on a team that is legendary for their unselfishness, their pride in T-E-A-M and maybe even their overall lack of talent and recognition. That he and his teammates had to work so hard to reach any level of success – has likely framed his perspective and if we honestly consider it from that point of view – he probably has a point.

Today’s super-hyped freshmen – regardless of where they go to college – are household names before their 18-years old. They’ve been on ESPN, travel the country, are treated like royalty, have their every word and social media note picked up and they turn in their college announcement signings into three-rin circuses. Darn right they feel entitled – but it’s the adults in their lives who are to blame.

Their senior years in high school are consumed by drooling adults and crazed ‘fans’ and zealous media hounds. They are begged by coaches, fans and boosters to attend this school or that one. Why – with such fawning – should they feel anything but entitlement? They’re left with the impression that the college they chose needs them more than they need the college.

I can’t even venture to imagine when or how this is going to change. It’s simply the way it’s done now but it’s not really condusive to promoting team over individual, and that runs counter to Woods’ experience while he was at UK.

25. I'm Batman
    6:50 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

25 – you mean our 2 top 5 recruits last year didn’t play as a team? Davis and MKG didn’t sacrifice stats in order to become better players and win a championship? So a former player can say whatever they, dog our players when he doesn’t even know them, and that is ok with you?

By the way, I know you are trolling by posing as having “old” ideas. Don’t know why others can’t see it.

26. old_school
    6:52 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

IU won a game by double digits and their best player had an off-night. That’s what good teams do.

Not sure why all the hate for IU. They are what UK used to be – programs that utilize both superstars and solid four-year players collectively as a very solid team. They’ve got a guard in Hulls that I saw at the Derby classic take one Eric Bledsoe of the dribble – but who is not likely to even get a sniff from the NBA. Does that make him a bad basketball player – no.

UK fans have been lulled into believing that the only way you judge young basketball talent is by seeing how high up they go in the draft.

Well, how many of us would love to have a guy like Kyle Macy, Travis Ford, Sean Woods or Anthony Epps running the point for UK this season. While Macy had a solid run in the NBA – none of those four were professional stars – but they were solid basketball players and they EXCELLED at the college game.

I don’t wear Blue and White so I can cheer on future Hornets, Lakers, Bulls or Celtics. I wear Blue and White to cheer on Kentucky.

And be honest – how much better would Kentucky be today with a kid like Hulls running the point?

27. old_school
    6:56 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

26 – I never said the kids who come here don’t learn to play as a team. I was very impressed with the attitude of kids like Davis and MKG. My point is that most hyped high-school stars do arrive on campus (not just at UK) with a sense of entitlement. They come here with a one-year plan. They are willing to give the school one good year – and in return – they’re going to use the school’s national exposure to ensure a high draft pick. I certainly dont fault the kids for this – but it does lend to them having a sense of entitlement.

28. I'm Batman
    7:01 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

28- you don’t think ivy league kids have that sense of entitlement? The best go to the best school. When have our players acted with this entitlement? You just blindly believe it because an older basketball player says so. I got news for you, just because they played here doesn’t give them the right to be ignorant. In addition, I’m sure more than half of every fanbase doesn’t know 20 years back of history of their school. It doesn’t make you a better person or fan if you know everything that happened before you were born.

29. BravoBigBlue
    7:10 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

old_school – You have expressed yourself extremely well. Unlike most of the posters above. What we have here is for the most part a generational thing. Kentucky tradition matters to long-time fans like you and me. We get it. Unforuntately, there is a whole generation of fans who could care less about Cotton Nash, Dampier and Riley and the Runts, Issel, Pratt, and Casey, Grevy and Company, the 78 champions, the Twin Towers, Kenny Walker, Winston Bennett, etc. A lot of this generation of fans are rude, crude, and will turn on a UK player or team in a heartbeat. What Sean Woods said wasn’t mean. Right or wrong, it was his opinion. Proabably wasn’t the smartest thing to say under the circumstances, but I like and respect him, and thank him what he did for the Wildcat program.

30. I'm Batman
    7:19 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

30 – first off, it is couldn’t care less. Secondly, I think I have articulated my thoughts fairly well. Thirdly, don’t be stereotypical about today’s generation because you will complain about how they stereotype you. Fourth, tradition matters more to fans than it does it players. Many fans don’t really have much going on in their lives so of course they have the time and desire to follow the Cats. People go to a school to get a good job and that is exactly what these players are doing. After Cal is gone and we load up on BCG talent, you will be the first to complain that we aren’t winning and how far the program has slipped. Lastly, GET OFF MY LAWN!

31. BravoBigBlue
    7:25 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

31 – Obviously you don’t read for comprehension. I never mentioned players. I said FANS. You in particular. And others just like you. Ripping Sean Woods for expressing his opinion. From your keyboard. Brave.

32. I'm Batman
    7:30 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Obviously, you shouldn’t criticize me when you are guilty moreso than I. Ony one thought had players in it. Good job ignoring the rest of it. I suppose I was right and you just can’t defend your statements.

33. tuxedo park
    7:33 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

I hate these young whippersnappers with their alley-oops and their tatoos and the rappity-rap music. I want UK basketball historians that play all 4 years.

It’s not 1950 anymore, people. We had one of the most amazing TEAMS ever last year. We won it all. Shut up, Cal is doing it right!

34. RealCatsFan
    7:36 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Wow, that is one cute puppy! They need to find a UK t-shirt for him to wear during the games. πŸ˜€ My yellow lab usually runs and hides under the bed when UK is in a tight game and my wife and I are up shouting and cheering. She doesn’t like strife – does the same thing when our cats get in a fight. I guess she is a true “yellow” lab. πŸ™‚

35. RealCatsFan
    7:48 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Old-School, I’m 47, and have followed the Cats since the late 70’s. I have a pretty good appreciation for their history, but I don’t know very much about the players who were before my time. I know who some of those guys are, and I can appreciate the things that Rupp accomplished with his teams, but all I see are black and white pictures and videos that look quaint in comparison to the level of athleticism on the court today. I loved it when we had players like Kenny Walker and even more recently McCarty, Delk, et.al., who hung around for 3 or 4 years. It would have been awesome to have Wall, Cousins, A.D., etc., hanging around for 3+ years. However, the world is a lot different now. I hate seeing these kids leave, but while they are here I am immensely enjoying watching them play, and I have to say for the most part Cal’s kids have represented the blue and white well – we haven’t seen many off the court incidents. IU has a couple of home grown kids who have hung around for several years, but part of that is a product of the rebuilding process. I would venture to say that some of the newer recruits will not hang around if they have a chance to go in the lottery. It’s just the world we live in, and until the NBA and the players association change the rules, that is what we are stuck with. Might as well enjoy the ride while it’s here. Why be bitter about it?

36. MJ4UK
    7:51 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

The reason that Shabazz is playing and Jurkin is sitting is the fact that everybody just needs to hear that name several times before he can be introduced in a live game, for fear of laughter.

Real reason: Same old hypocritical NCAA. If Shabazz had came to UK we would’ve never seen him on the court.

37. Ridge Runner
    8:12 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Harrow. Lets first hope the kid gets healthy and ya know it has to be difficult for him and his family.

However…somebody help me out here seriously. Tell me how this is not unprecedented. Give me one example of a kid who was injured or ill for nearly what, 2+ weeks?? β€”and nothing has came out about it except he is β€œsick”. Not wanting hippa-related, confidential info obviously –so hell if it’s private, why don’t the university say it’s “private”. Strange stuff.

38. josh
    8:14 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Joe B would pick Petrino, that would be awesome!

39. I'm Batman
    8:15 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

38 – because it is none of your business. The university doesn’t owe you anything. A kid’s health has no effect on your life so why do you need to pry into his?

40. notplayingthisgame
    8:18 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

I’m 50+ and totally agree with Batman. The players Cal gives us are the best of the best. It’s quite entertaining to watch him build a great team every year with new young talent. I personally become very attached to the kids watching them for one year. Come on, who doesn’t love MKG? The back-seat coaching here on comments is unreal. I’m happy with the program as is and the future looks bright.

No UK basketball alumni should be publicly criticizing the program and especially not the kids. He’s backtracking now and it’s pretty much over but he DID mess up. We all have opinions. I’m never going to understand what Woods hoped to accomplish by this. What was he, drunk? I think it’s time to let it die down but I really don’t think Coach Cal should schedule them again.

41. BobKYCats
    8:20 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Chaminade beat Texas. Everyone point and laugh at the Longhorns.

42. Ridge Runner
    8:22 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

40..oh brother. Here we go wwith another person thinking it’s “my business”.

Lets try this again. Yes, you are right. Thats not the point. There are thousands of kids playing ncaa sports and each one is covered when they are out from cramps to when they got an upset stomach. It’s released. What makes Harrow any different? Thats all I’m saying. In the meantime, rumors run wild which are more harmful to the family and him than if a statement was made even if the statement was..the family would like to keep it private.

Remember, we have UK halftime injury reports that cover everything in the world. Again, what is the difference?

This “none of our business crap” is not the point. It’s why is Harrow different in a diagnosis or statement and not the other thousands of kids?

43. barn
    8:22 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

28–you make valid points, but the truth is every coach in america would do exactly what cal is doing–if they could. it’s all about winning and winning now, which i’ve thorougly enjoyed since cal arrived. the whole college bball scene would return to some semblence of what it used to be if only these kids were allowed to go to work in the pros right out of high school, like everyone else. the nba is responsible for the state of college basketball today. but i sure do love having a shot at a nc every year elbeit with a team of freshmen.

44. Ridge Runner
    8:25 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Batman, why are you so defensive? You knw damn well what I’m saying and you take this high road privacy bullcrap stance. Puleeze. Get over yourself.

45. Blue
    8:28 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Old_School…If you want 3 and 4 year players the way it used to be, then you will have to take that up with the NBAPA. Until the NBA changes it’s “one year removed from high school” rule for draft entrance, we will continue to see this trend of guys leaving school early. Why? Because Calipari consistently recruits the absolute best players, and in today’s game, with AAU and year-round play, the absolute best players are better than they were 20 years ago, on the whole. Kids coming out of high school are more prepared to enter professional basketball at a younger age BECAUSE of everything you listed…They play year round, they are on ESPN, they’re surrounded by celebrities and are famous for no other reason than being a good basketball player. Whether you like that or not, that’s how it is. If that rule wasn’t in place, of the 11 1st round draft picks Cal has coached in the last 3 years, I’d say maybe 5 of them (maybe) would have been playing at Kentucky. The rest would’ve gone straight to the draft out of high school.

In short, get over it…Times have changed, and it’s a combination of societal priorities and the system that is in place. People need to realize that your idealized image of what college basketball is is just that…Idealized. It never was as pristine and “innocent” as you perceive it to be, and it never will be. It’s a business.

46. BigBlue1
    8:30 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

ridgerunner, you have a point and I see what you are saying that it’s a consistency pattern when players are out due to injury or an illness.

batman, the privacy issue is what we all want but why can’t UK just simply say that and not let this linger on and on?

47. I'm Batman
    8:33 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Haha. Sounds like you need to get over yourself. Who cares what other schools are doing? If Cal doesn’t want to tell us anything, he doesn’t have to. I’m sure he knows about rumors and if they were harming anyone, he would set it straight. You just think you need to know everything that is going on and you don’t. I don’t understand why people worry about what illness Harrow has. Even if you did know, it doesn’t change a thing.

48. Ridge Runner
    8:37 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Reading the back and forth with old school from a few of you makes me appreciate and proud I am to be a fan of the winningest program in history. That’s my first impression.

To win over and over covering so many spans of time and changing each decade to do so…is why we are a legacy.

Passing thught… Continue on with the debate.
    πŸ˜‰

49. Ridge Runner
    8:39 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

48…ok batman. I’ll umm get over myself and yes, no one has to tell us anything. We all will quit worrying -although, I’m not worried…just stating something that is strange with the lack of communication. but anyway, I gotcha.

50. old_stool
    8:47 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

If I had a car like the one in Back to the Future I could travel back to the days before rap music, one and done’s, internets and Ughs. Then I wouldn’t such an angry, resentful toolbox. sigh.

51. Catfaninfl
    8:50 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Way to go Coach Hall!!

Ridge, valid points.

52. Dr. Mantis Taboggin
    8:55 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

What’s with coach Hall’s lisp, has he always spoke like that or does he have a old person issue? Didn’t move here til Pitino era in 92. That guy is hilarious to listen to only because of his talking and spitting everywhere simultaneously.

53. DREWBLUE
    9:08 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

FYI. Coach Hall inducted into the College Basketball Hall of Fame and not one word of it in the state’s largest newspaper, the Courier-Journal.

54. Al's IndiCats
    9:11 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Congrats to Joe B. for he was one of the few coaches to succeed following a LEDGEND. Always classy, always gracious with a picture or an autograph even when he is dinning out. Never a bad word was spoken from him about other coaches or players that he knew were on the shady side.

Ridge Runner has it correct, it seems that the face of College basketball does change every 10 or 11 years. I read where writers and fans alike always hammer on Cal for taking the one and dones, yet until the NBA starts taking some of the heat by either raising the age limit or letting them go pro straight out of high school nothing is going to change. Damn it’s that’s simple.

55. the truth.com
    9:14 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

why does it look like,Joe b. is giving that uconn player special treatment?

56. Rockfield, KY
    9:25 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Hulls can’t guard his position, or any position at that. Teague destroyed him last year in the Sweet 16 and if he had just taken it to the rim int he first game last year, we would’ve won that game too. Hulls can shoot and doesn’t turn it over on O, but is a liability on D. So it Wiltjer, but Wiltjer’s man doesn’t handle the basketball the entire game.

57. just saying
    9:40 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Ridgerunner. I think you have it all wrong. COMPLETELY WRONG as a matter of fact. It was released IMMEDIATELY that Harrow had a “flu-like illness” and that he didnt make the trip to Atlanta to stay at UK to seek medical testing, and was then told a definate diagnosis couldnt be determined. If you want to start (or believe) rumors of transfer, Mono, HIV, depression, or any other fairytale story, that is your problem. The vast majority of UK fans took the information that was given to us, and went about our day. There was no conspiracy, no hiding, or vast change in medical reporting. Just because you dont like what the information was, doesnt make it wrong. So if Cal or Uk said he had “mono” you would have been fine with that, but when they said “flu-like illness” you conjured a conspiracy. Well thats on you

58. Dr. Phil McCreavice
    9:54 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Sometimes a person can be hit by one of the MANY viruses out there, and a definite diagnoses can be tough to come by. Blood tests are set up to pick up antibodies for specific known viruses, like the particular strains of the influenza virus that are most prevalent for the current flu season. They probably tested for a number of viruses and other conditions, but sometimes one will “fly under the radar”, and a confluence of factors like stress, fatigue, and suppressed immune system will converge into a “perfect storm” and lay you out on your rump. And yes, that is a medical term. πŸ™‚

59. Just Curious
    10:05 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Who went with Joe B to the Hall of Fame induction? I though Coach Cal might, but he was in Scott County, I just wondered who from Kentucky attended, if anyone?

60. TheOnion
    10:09 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

I know we’ve seen it before, but I think that pup may be the dog Cal illegally recruited πŸ™‚

61. well
    10:24 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Let’s keep the Joe B. Hall photo away from Louisville and Indiana fans.

62. What HAppened was
    11:23 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

good source that harrow has had a mental break. after watching the all access can you see why? tons of pressure.

63. Biglaw Dawgin'
    11:45 am November 20, 2012 Permalink

Yeah, UConn is never going to use that photo against us….

64. MJ4UK
    1:36 pm November 20, 2012 Permalink

#63…His classmates say otherwise, dude has lost a lot of weight. I hope he gets better and returns for Friday night.