Joe B. Hall Statue Unveiled

Photo via @UKAthleticsNews

Just a few minutes ago, University of Kentucky officials unveiled the newest addition to campus: a statue of former men’s basketball head coach Joe B. Hall, located just outside the new Wildcat Coal Lodge.

Possibly the only man that could have taken over for Adolph Rupp when he stepped down in the early 70s, Hall came in and successfully manned the reins of the most scrutinized college basketball team for almost a decade and a half.  During that time, he won a National Championship, was named National Coach of the Year, and amassed a total record of 297-100.  He provided plenty of memories apart from just those, though, from his “friendly” rivalry with Bobby Knight (including the impressive upset in 1975), to the eight regular-season SEC championships, to the championship he helped earn as a member of the varsity squad in 1949, becoming only the third man ever to win championships as both a player and a coach.

Even now, long after retiring from the coaching world, he maintains a radio talk show with former University of Louisville head coach Denny Crum, showing that he’s just like the rest of us: he can’t get enough hoops talk.  Born in Cynthiana, Hall has shown himself to be as big a part of the school, and the state, as anyone possibly could be.

Congratulations, Coach.  Hopefully this shows just a small part of how proud we are.

Joe, Joe, and John. Via @CoachCalDotCom

Article written by Corey Nichols

74 Comments for Joe B. Hall Statue Unveiled

1. Al's IndiCats
    8:43 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

Not only was he THE man to follow a ledgend, but a true Southern Gentleman as well. Always takes the time to talk to UK fans.

2. Durrrr
    8:46 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

Kinda looks like he’s dropping a deuce. Maybe grunting a bit.

3. AMIRITE
    8:48 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

well, now I know what Joe B looks like when he’s droppin a deuce

4. 10011010101010
    8:51 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

REALLY?

REALLY?

Someone thought that looked ok?

REALLY?

5. King Kelly Coleman
    8:53 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

It’s a great way to honor one of our greats! But c’mon why THAT posture? Couldn’t he be standing in a coaches pose? why would anyone make a statue in that pose? that’s horrible, we can do better!!

6. barn
    8:54 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

whoa, i love joe b., but not so sure about that statue

7. Brent S.
    8:55 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

Go take a look at it before you bad mouth it. Really cool in person. The chairs next to it are part of the statue so you can sit next to Joe B.

8. 10011010101010
    9:02 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

7.) Shut up, how many rival fans are going to actually go to Lexington to see it in person.

9. 10011010101010
    9:03 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

btw – What is this? McDonald’s?!

Joe B deserves better.

10. AMIRITE
    9:04 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

7) if i want to sit by Joe B i’ll just show up at Malone’s on a random night. he ain’t dead

11. Jordan
    9:12 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

He looks like he’s forcing out a Taco Bell grande meal…. really?!?!?

12. MYOLDKENTUCKYHOME
    9:14 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

The pride of Cynthiana. Love Joe B. Hall.

One of the best things when I took my daughter to a game was introducing her to Joe B. Hall and getting an autograph. After the game we even picked up the blue 3 he had been wringing throughout the game.

13. AMIRITE
    9:16 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

i think he’s sh*tting on corey’s posts

14. Bob Sugar
    9:16 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

I can’t believe we continue to honor this do nothing. Coach Hall was not well liked when coaching for all of you too young to remember. His Denny Crum radio show is just the icing on a very pitiful cake.

15. SheCat
    9:17 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

I cannot believe that some of you people commenting on here actually looked at that statue and came up with something as vulgar, tacky, stupid and disrespectful about the statue. First thing I noticed was they actually have him holding that rolled up program that he always had in his hand. It’s a very nice and well done piece of art to honor one of our beloved coaches! Shame on you!

16. Azubuike's Bicep
    9:26 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

It’s crazy how times change. In Joe B’s 13 years, his average win loss per year was 22.8-7.7, which would put any high level coach on the hot seat today. If that kind of standard was put on coaches back then, we may never have had the honor of celebrating all that Coach Hall has done for the program.

17. CrashTheLoader
    9:31 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

At least they included his ever present rolled up program. It was his conductor’s baton as he directed all of Rupp. Directing players, slapping his palm with it, and occasionally quieting an angry student section “BS” chant with just a simple wave of that thing.

18. Boggs
    9:39 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

Is he pinchin a pipin hot loaf?

19. nassau65
    9:41 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

15. sweet Bob, go back to the ville. Your post are really wearing thin here.

20. tyrus
    9:42 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

Enjoy Coach Hall now, but the years I spent sitting in the upper level of Rupp watching stall ball drove me freaking crazy. Plus if a player shot too far out from the basket or had the wrong hair color (Jay Shidler) that player endured the wrath of Coach Hall. Always wonder how Hall would have adapted if the shot clock and 3-point line became a rule while he coached. He might have been even more stubborn than Crumb.

21. WayneinFrankfort
    9:46 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

#15, I remember Joe B., and even though you may be right about the feelings for Joe at the time, that had more to do with him following Rupp than actually disliking the guy. Most people have realized what a wonderful coach he was, but also what a wonderful person he is after the fact. Looks like you’ve got something against Joe B., could you be a fan of another school?

22. ukangus
    9:59 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

a sitting statue…thats not right….back to the drawing board and get it right.

23. CATS
    10:06 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

You can see why UK fans are all republicans, always finding something negative to talk about……

24. 10011010101010
    10:09 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

15. THIS IS ON A COLLEGE CAMPUS!!!!! ITS SURROUNDED BY IMMATURE PEOPLE!!!!

25. Al B. Frank
    10:16 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

Wow. These comments. Stay classy, BBN. Joe B. Hall deserves better than some of these “fans”.

26. cdb
    10:22 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

The “sitting pose” is not what makes this statute troublesome. Probably the most famous statute in this country is of a man sitting down (Abraham Lincoln). It’s the fact that he is leaning forward, elbows on knees, in the classic deuce-dropping position. I truly wish this wasn’t the first image that came to my mind when I saw the statute.

27. kayakat
    10:26 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

Heard on the Leech show that Joe jokingly whispered in the ear of the statue “What happened in Seattle?”

28. esteban
    10:27 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

no matter what anybody says…the first you think is “he looks like he’s taking a shit.” bottom line. hard to believe that somebody thought this was acceptable. epic fail

29. chipanzy
    10:28 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

#25, you’re missing the point of these “fans” comments, they are saying, albeit in a crude way, that Joe B. Hall deserves better than this bizarre statue.

30. esteban
    10:28 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

this statue would actually be pretty neat in the bathroom lmao…

31. kablooey
    10:29 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

24. No

You just make this city seem worse to dehumanize others to feel more comfrotable. Obviously your mind ticks at 4th grade level and you can only stand to get a rise out of people rather than hear something heartfelt or analytical. You are a pathetic adult and should mature your own perception and stop comparing yourself to everyone, oh yeah I know, and if you get uneasy seeing a man squating and have to make a vulgar joke to compensate, what do you think that tells me about you.

32. UKBlue1!
    10:32 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

Joe B. has always marketed UK basketball. He helped expand the brand. I can remember going to the shoot arounds at Freedom Hall. His teams would sign autographs for 1 hour. He would take the time to speak to the crowd. Sometimes the cats would draw 12k just for the shootaround.He also stated the basketball camps. He has always taken of his time, to spend the extra second to acknowledge UK fans. He understood how important UK was to the State. UK hadn’t won a championshipsince 1958. He should be given a lot more credit for making UK the gold standard.

33. kes
    10:35 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

who is going to wipe the statues azz?

34. kablooey
    10:36 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

26+27. “It’s the fact that he is leaning forward, elbows on knees” yeah just like in typical joe b hall coaching fashion. His manuerisms are being represented here and some degenerates of bbn are missing the authenticism. For now I will call any self-conscious child giggling abot his perceived “potty” stance and true closet queer cause it seems like that would show you the same discomfortable your bashing of this memorial gives a real fan. Grow up or shut your mouth.

35. kablooey
    10:39 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

You bashers are all simple weak minded individuals who have no depth of thought. Go ahead and JUMP! I mean it. Way to go UKBlue1!, way to represent the BBN with intergrity and respect.

36. blueaville
    10:39 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

BAAWWAAHHHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE joe b…but what the!!! Looks like he’s taking a huge dump.

37. NYC_Cat
    10:41 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

Joe B. was always a class act. Good for him – well deserved.

38. kablooey
    10:42 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

I hope the children are done posting now cause theres no reason to belittle a man who worked his a** off to keep Kentucky on top among changing times. The program wouldnt be what it is today without this man.

39. EverybodyPoops
    10:43 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

#26, “classic deuce-dropping position” is hilarious and spot on to my first reaction. He looks like Han Solo when he was statue-ized, only in a more unfortunate pose.

40. C-Bone
    10:44 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

Believe me, I’m no highbrow individual. I love a good fart joke as much as anyone else, but how is everyone determining that it looks like he’s on the john? The statue just depicts him sitting. I haven’t seen one post saying it looks like Cal is on the pot even though he too is sitting.

41. kablooey
    10:45 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

God Im so mad at your ignorances, how can you demean such a high character man? 36. Do you realize the embarressment your words would have on Joe B if this common thought spreads back to him. Act with more discretion, cause none of you know how the dilution of groupthink works.

42. Brent S.
    10:45 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

Big Blue Nation is mad that Joe looks like he’s taking a big blue dump

43. I remember Joe B.
    10:45 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

At least half of the morons on this thread most likely never saw Joe B. coach a game. He rarely stood up during games and always had a rolled up program in his hand.

44. kablooey
    10:49 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

Screw it I denounce you all and endorse now the Kentucky Wildcats as a fan independent of this subculture fanbase. How it is you kentucky fans have no honor?

45. blueaville
    10:49 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

41…relax dude. I LOVE joe b and watched him coach MANY times and also in person on occasion. I’m sorry…the statue looks like he’s in the bathroom. It’s hilarious….yet also unfortunate for Joe B. He deserves better.

But relax….I’m sorry it looks like he’s dropping a load.

46. michael
    10:51 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

Thats is just a terrible looking statue

47. michael
    10:51 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

that is a terrible statue

48. urinal_duece
    10:54 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

Looks like he’s squeezing one out, somebody get the man some tp

49. EverybodyPoops
    10:58 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

Me thinks kablooey doth protest too much. Constipated?

Take an Ex-Lax or two, then sit and kablooey the hell outta that toilet. Life will then seem happier for you.

50. kablooey
    11:02 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

45. I cant imagine a statue that could depict him more himself *cue the giggles from degenerates* I mean he was a coach who controlled the entire arena from one spot and thats being memorialized. Whats unfortunate is people today are so backward and let sex and vulgarity consume their thoughts to the extent where the casualities include someone I thought BBN had respect for, but you cannot say you love the man if in the next line you mean to humiliate him. Plain and simple thats what youll are doing. He would die if he thought the public perception of his statue is as you have stated, so I want to lay off but am genuinely concerned this new generation is going to drive away a southern gentleman like himself.

51. kablooey
    11:03 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

49. Hahaha now that is actually funny.

52. Al B. Frank
    11:04 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

Looks to me like he is sitting in a chair on the sidelines watching a game in progress. At no time did I think it looked like he was having a bowel movement. Classless comments like these are the reason UK fans have gotten such a poor reputation in recent years. Kentucky fans used to be the gold standard among all fan-bases. There seems to be more and more idiots among us with each and every passing day.

53. EverybodyPoops
    11:14 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

51. Thanks and honestly, I think Joe Hall has a good sense of humor and probably would laugh at some of these comments. Most aren’t mean-spirited and you gotta expect college kids to make crude jokes.

54. nassau65
    11:19 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

52, keep in mind that most of the idiotic comments here are from non-UK fans posing as UK fans. We are at the top, and are the envy of others, so they feel it’s necessary to come here and post crap on a UK site while posing as UK fans. They stir the pot here, because they have nothing to talk about on their sites. It’s good to be at the top, but i do wish KSR would put some measure in to eliminate at least some of the BS.

55. SheCat
    11:21 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

@19 & 21, I believe you are directing your comments to #14, Bob Sugar!

56. nassau65
    11:23 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

55 SheCat, yes that happens when posts are deleted above.

57. Joe in a strain
    11:31 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

Damn people 8 out of 10 people probably thought it looked liked he was dropping the kids of at the pool. It is what it is. Doesn’t mean we’re classless or down on Joe B. I get the point of the position of the statue, but it still looks like he’s taking a shit. I showed this to a older coworker and she at first glance that it was a man taking a dump. So calm down.

58. kablooey
    11:32 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

I will concede to that as your probably right, but I flinch at the idea of us losing our basketball purist mentality. Your right Joe B would know where the comments are coming from and not take it as seriously. The perspective check in your joke helped lighten my spirits but I will maintain the stance that if theres one guy aside from Cal we shouldnt mock, it be Hall. Cause in this state everything the betters our basketball program is what counts, and he’s the Keightley role recruiter now.

59. kablooey
    11:35 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

57. The issue here has gone past what were making fun of but who. Someone who doesnt know Joe B can react as they will, but for us informed Cats to make a mockery of him and his memorial, its just dishonorable.

60. theSkinny81
    11:41 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

i agree that maybe it should’ve been Joe B just standing, but it is what it is. lets honor and respect who and what this represents.

61. Big Blue Coming at You
    11:41 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

Gotta agree with others here that it looks like an “on the toilet” pose. Great idea, bad execution. Joe B. deserves better than that.

62. secretagent0014
    11:44 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

Two minute google search and I found a better pose. You can’t help to see what you see.

63. RealCatsFan
    11:47 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

Meh. I guess I fall into the lot of the vast unwashed masses, because the deuce delivery was exactly my first thought as well. Oh well, congrats to Joe B. on being honored. Unfortunately, it is just a matter of time before some student slips a roll of TP into his left hand…

64. Tubby Smith
    11:47 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

I’m still waiting for my jersey in the rafters. You don’t have to make a statue of me sitting in the tub, either…

65. Smiffanator
    11:50 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

The majority of the negative comments are coming from the same person.. just look at the email address.. The other commenter more than likely not around during the Joe B. Hall’s coaching tenure, just ignore these people making fun of a UK coaching legend bc obviously have no respect or love for UK

66. kayakat
    11:51 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

I wish they could have an actual game photo of Hall sitting on the bench nearby to put this statue in context. If you are under 30, you’d have no idea why the statue looks the way it does.

67. secretagent0014
    11:57 am September 18, 2012 Permalink

No one is making fun of Coach Hall. They are making fun of the artist for picking the ridiculous pose.

68. Lexington
    12:57 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

I am old. I respect Joe Hall. I am a UK fan.

That pose looks like a bathroom pose.

69. Raazoul
    1:44 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

I knew when I clicked on the comment section at least 60% would be some rendition of “Is he dropping a deuce?”! LOL I love me some Joe B. Hall but c’mon, the statue won’t get tired, why’s it sitting?

70. 430 West Vine
    1:46 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

Put a picture of Bobby Knight under teh cahir, all will be good.

71. OneOldLady
    2:32 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

I’m an old and respectful woman. And the first thing I thought
    when I saw the statue was, “Oh Lord, they’ve made him
    look like he’s sitting on the toilet.” I’m shocked and disappointed.
    What artists get by with these days is beyond me. I wonder
    how much this travesty cost the school?!

72. Shut up!
    3:19 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

You people are amazing! All u do is get on here and B*tch about everything! If the statue was standing up you would find something wrong about it! I am sure they consulted Joe B before it was finalized and he liked it! If it is okay with Joe, who cares!?!?! You all act like you have a say in the program and you don’t! Gee whiz! Get over yourselves!

73. TN Cat
    3:22 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

How long before a Louisville fan puts a toilet under him and takes a picture for us?

74. Marty
    3:49 pm September 18, 2012 Permalink

Well deserved to a man who had to follow in the footsteps of a legend in Adolf Rupp. You epitomize what a class coach is all about. Thank you for all that you have done for the University of Kentucky. Years from now people will learn not only of your coaching, but more important the character of which you carried yourself. I also would like to thank your family for sharing you to us. Coach you will always be a legend in my mind. God bless.