Jodie Meeks Won’t Back Down from Kobe

jodie

There’s a lot to be excited about from this past week, mostly BTI coming back for the 9 am spot, giving me a little time to relax in the morning and come and bring it to you all periodically through the week at 6.  But with other sports winding down, and basketball and football seasons still afar off, there’s not really a lot to get into, unless you want to hear me talk about the beatdown the Miami Heat put on the Pacers last night (and I’d be happy to).

Some people are getting into the offseason with vigor, though, and making the most of their time.  Among those?  Jodie Meeks, who is back at UK taking 6 credit hours in order to get his degree in business from the University.  Jodie had a few things to say to CoachCal.com about his degree, but what stands out more than anything is his thoughts on his new team in L.A., and how he’s fitting in with the superstar personalities.

It started with Kobe, as usual, giving the new addition a hard time in practice, saying: “He isn’t looking too good,” “I’ve been murdering him” and “I’m kicking his (butt).”

But after playing for Billy Clyde, it was going to take more than a couple flippantly competitive phrases to intimidate Jodie Meeks.  He responded, and did pretty well, averaging right at 8 points in 21 minutes per game.

It was funny because last year my teammate was Andre Iguodala in Philadelphia and he pretty much told me what was going to happen.  He said he’s not an easy person to get along with. He’s probably going to try to challenge you in preseason, but if you don’t back down and you go back out him and aren’t intimidated by him, he’ll like you for the entire season and he’ll respect you, and that’s pretty much what happened.

The fact that he did that showed that he thought I had a lot of potential.  He told me that actually during the season that if he didn’t think I had a lot of potential to be good and back him up then he wouldn’t have said anything. Preseason he did that. He got the best of me most of the time obviously, but I wasn’t intimidated and played well.

Maybe Jodie can spend some time between classes this summer teaching his fellow Cats some mental toughness.  The one thing last year’s team was lacking, in addition to a healthy Nerlens, was a back-bone and a “will to win.”  Having Meeks around to treat the young players like he’s been treated by the superstars in the NBA could be an eye-opener.  It would help the team for next season, and also give them a better idea of what to expect when they do finally go pro.  Sounds like a win for everybody.

(Politics aside, this was a real cool gesture by President Obama after forgetting to shake a Marine’s hand before boarding a plane. Enjoy Memorial Day.)

Article written by Corey Nichols

39 Comments for Jodie Meeks Won’t Back Down from Kobe

1. That Guy
    6:08 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

He forgot to salute, not shake his hand…Go Blue

2. Where is Matt or Drew?
    6:11 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

Kobe is old and Meeks is ain’t no good

3. Lay Off the Sauce
    6:19 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

#2-What message should we take from your post? Don’t drink and try to write?

4. Merlin's
    6:26 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

Andre iguodala sounds like a stone cold mother [email protected]&ker

5. Han
    6:26 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

3) Say what? Have you met many writers?

6. The University of Jodie Meeks
    6:27 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

I think Jodie’s toughness will certainly influence the team as they cross paths this summer…. For the President, he has class and serves his country well each day in office. On the other hand, his loudmouth, know nothing conservative critics have no class.

7. noooooooooo!
    6:32 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

Son of a B I thought we got rid of this jackoff. Time slot makes no difference. Corey you still are the worst this site has ever had

8. UK
    6:35 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

6 if you’ve never been on a KSR comment section before you have no idea what you just started hahaha

9. troy
    6:38 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

Yeah he’s the coolest dumbass to ever be president

10. Steve
    6:47 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

#6 No, he serves his master well. His country, not so much. #8 You were right! #9 lol

11. rj
    6:51 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

I’m sure you have a harvard law degree troy, you inbred dumbass.

12. Say This
    6:53 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

We have met some writers “Han” but don’t worry, you’re not one of them.

13. rj
    6:54 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

you must of had yuor hood on backwards at your last cross burning troy, you red neck piece of trash.

14. Jacksonian shakedown
    7:24 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

NIT and 2-10, baseball tanked too
    Only thing holding up hopes at UK is its award winning Algebra 3 department

15. Fomer Marine
    7:27 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

13. Shut up dumbass. You CAN disagree with someone and NOT be a racist.

16. atlantacat
    7:30 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

Way to bait the idiots, Corey; great job. I’ve never seen so many damn idiots on one sight. You “under 30” crowd have no clue about life or politics, you spend your time on message boards spouting mundane crap and you fall for ever ruse out there.

#6, you are such a uninformed tool. If you think Obama is the all that ends all, you obviously can’t read or comprehend what’s going on in Washington. I bet you and 13 have some great times together.

I’ll be glad when you kids grow up.

17. Rockin Ron
    7:46 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

That wasn’t a cool gesture that was a lame attempt to correct protocol and tradition-two things Obama Hussein could care less about and should never have neglected in the first place. The British press had it right when Obama Hussein got elected the first term when they coined it “amateur hour”.

18. FurdTurgason
    7:52 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

I used to call Obama the modern day Jimmy Carter. I was being too kind. He’s the modern day Richard Nixon.

19. bosshogg24
    8:07 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

Richard Nixon is the Pope compared to Obama! The under 30 crowd would vote for a Pit Bull with the mange if he ran under the Democrat label!

20. crazycatfan
    8:26 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

#17 – EXACTLY!!! How in the world does the President of the United States “forget” to salute a Marine. Sad!

21. troy
    8:32 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

If loving my country makes me inbred and a dumbass I’m cool with it.

22. kentuckyjoe
    8:43 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

Our president is a classy guy.

23. tyson
    8:46 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

guys, i am NO fan of our current President, but the tradition of the President saluting the military only goes back to Reagan. Eisenhower, a former 5 star general purposely never saluted back. I don’t agree with a lot of what Obama has done, but the false outrage of this incident is a little over-done. However, he could have picked a better time than Memorial Day Weekend to break tradition.

24. tombanjo
    9:04 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

that’s a weird looking plane.

25. ukcincy
    9:16 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

I love how liberals try to point out anything good in this president. Meanwhile the “transparent” Obama administration is feverishly covering up its next screw-up.

I wish KSR would stay away from politics. It makes me want to stop checking in on what I thought was a UK sports site. Stuff like this makes me want to throw up.

26. DT in DC
    9:20 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

He forgot to salute the Marine (not shake his hand) before getting on Marine One (not boarding a plane). How does anyone not know that?

27. Monitor
    9:23 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

Two subjects I wish KSR would avoid: that Wiggins kid and politics. Hope everyone had a safe holiday and remembered why we celebrate this day.

28. gary
    9:31 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

Clinton taught Barry well…never let a good photo-op get away. And you might be surprised how many things like that are staged.

29. know-nothing conservative
    9:34 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

I know that the liberal media and liberal educators in this country have achieved great success in brainwashing and indoctrinating the youth of America today…and those of us who know better had best step up our game and do our best at deprogramming as many of these young minds full of mush as we can before it is too late…booyah!

30. jeff
    10:03 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

#6 is simply a Sheep. Corey Nichols, leave the liberal politics at home. We just want UK news. Kiss Obama’s dumbass on your own time.

31. Jackie Moon
    10:35 pm May 27, 2013 Permalink

ELE! Everybody love everybody!

32. robuk
    5:35 am May 28, 2013 Permalink

Obama went back out to shake the Marines’ hand only after he was told to by his handlers. Don’t believe for a second it was out of respect especially after the umbrella insult last week. This president is an insult to the office.

33. welcome to reality
    6:48 am May 28, 2013 Permalink

32. The President spoke with the pilot and co-pilot before going to shake the Marine’s hand. No “handlers” whatever that’s supposed to mean told the President to do so. Watch the video… What’s an insult is the conservative right wing to political discourse in this country. Y’all are the most petty, grasping bunch of crybabies I’ve ever saw.

34. fairplayky
    7:16 am May 28, 2013 Permalink

Please, oh please, get off the politics.

35. Aaron Craft's Rosacea
    8:47 am May 28, 2013 Permalink

F Lebron and all of the heat

36. Jeff
    8:54 am May 28, 2013 Permalink

#34 – It’s kinda hard to ignore politics when KSR’s alleged SPORTS writer is slapping us in the face with Obama propaganda. #24 – That’s Funny

37. SaratogaCatsFan
    9:07 am May 28, 2013 Permalink

Not a cool gesture. An idiotic President with no concept of honor. He is supposed to return the salute, since he is the commander in chief.

I love this site, but lets keep your obvious love affair with the moron in Washington off the site. Please and thank you.

38. haha
    1:43 pm May 28, 2013 Permalink

This isnt a big deal either way but the video is crystal clear that the pilot reminded him that he passed up the marine. Not really sure why someone would refute that based on what you can see in the video.

39. CATS