Jim Calhoun is taking his chowda and going home

NBC Connecticut is reporting that Jim Calhoun is expected to retire soon. A source told NBC it’s a matter of “dotting the I’s and crossing the T’s.”

“Don’t be surprised by anything, even this week,” Calhoun said when asked about the report.

Another source said Calhoun wants a chance to speak with his players before making it official.

Adios.

Article written by Drew Franklin

20 Comments for Jim Calhoun is taking his chowda and going home

1. Head Bussa
    6:13 pm September 12, 2012 Permalink

Aren’t they banned from the tournament this year?

2. SheCat
    6:21 pm September 12, 2012 Permalink

@1, I think you are right about that…hmmmm, could this have been a factor in him retiring??? Why not??!!! Glory days gone. Time to go fishing!

3. RIP Mel Turpin
    6:23 pm September 12, 2012 Permalink

Is it just me, or is Calhoun one of the most sour and cantankerous old men in the game?! Would have preferred to watch Cal’s teams beat the snot out of his teams for another 5 years or so. Did he personally get charged with the violations that put CT on probation?

4. Azubuike's Bicep
    6:32 pm September 12, 2012 Permalink

Good riddance. The only downside is the month long ESPN lovefest that will ensue.

5. reality
    6:46 pm September 12, 2012 Permalink

Cal usus better contacts than calhoun. Thus, it is easier to keep one’s hands clean. One coach has several layers between himself and the shady handler/runner/agent and the other doesn’t.

6. gossie21
    7:09 pm September 12, 2012 Permalink

I am sure that I’m in the minority on this, but I liked Calhoun. Sure he was one of the most cantankerous human beings around, and he was a bit of a bully. But he mostly just attacked the media, and that is something I can support.

The post-season ban certainly hurt (It was for a low APR score, so it wasn’t charged to anyone really)(The program did get pegged the year before, but I think they passed it off as a failure to monitor). Another factor is Calhoun’s poor health. He has had cancer treatments, and he recently was injured in a bike accident (broken leg or hip). Plus the roster was probably a 5-6 seed type team at best.

7. Bicycle Seat Sniffer
    7:09 pm September 12, 2012 Permalink

5 – I’ll never understand why haters like you visit this blog AND comment on posts.

8. Katdaddy
    7:09 pm September 12, 2012 Permalink

Good! Kevin ollie won’t last!

9. Big Blue 66
    7:27 pm September 12, 2012 Permalink

ollie one year, then Ricky 3 stacks tries one more stint on the east coast

10. carnifex
    7:28 pm September 12, 2012 Permalink

Bye cheater. ‘Nuff said.

11. Ken Tucker
    7:45 pm September 12, 2012 Permalink

Maybe he can join Bob Knight on ESPN for a grumpy old men segment.

12. barn
    7:54 pm September 12, 2012 Permalink

it was laughable to listen to andy cats on expn sugarcoating why calhoun is retiring. the cheating factor and tourny ban next year were downplayed as somewhat non issues. good riddance you thin skinned old prik

13. ryan
    8:55 pm September 12, 2012 Permalink

Looks like he is ready to swallow some sausage

14. turkeyblue
    9:34 pm September 12, 2012 Permalink

Second biggest cheater of all tome behind Wooden. Somehow gets a pass.

15. Ricky P
    9:48 pm September 12, 2012 Permalink

Calhoun is the bIggest asshole in college sports, and I should know.

16. Big Blue Coming At You
    10:36 pm September 12, 2012 Permalink

Good riddance to one of the game’s biggest cheaters. I bet ESPN will do a 30 for 30 on him and how great of a man and coach he was.

17. Mr. Blonde
    2:14 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

6 – I’m with you. He also MADE UConn basketball. However I thought that he would try to stay in for a few more seasons since Big East will be less competitive with the departure of Syracuse. I’ve never had two bouts of cancer and a bike wreck when I was 65+ years old though.

18. Beavis
    7:25 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

I love Calhoun for one reason,,,,Mark Emmert had to get up on the stage and present the NCAA trophy to him. For you who did not notice,,,when Emmert presented the trophy to coach Cal,,,Cal paid almost no attention to him at all. So in the space of two years that piece of dung,,Emmert had to present the NCAA trophy to the two coaches he hates the most. Priceless.

19. RealCatsFan
    9:05 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

Wow, the Big East is really going down the tubes – it was already weak in football, but now with the departures of WVU, Pitt, ND and Syracuse, and the fact that UConn will be a shadow of its former self, how will the ESPN pundits find a way to showcase it as the greatest thing in college BB? I guess they will focus their love fest on the ACC.

UL won’t have much competition in the league, aside from Marquette, Cinci and Villanova, and maybe G’Town if they make a comeback. Card fans won’t be able to trot out the line that they play in the premier conference in the country anymore. Looks like C-USA came back to find them.

20. Head Bussa
    9:10 am September 13, 2012 Permalink

I am a huge Jim Calhoun fan and wish him the very best. I’ve always respected his teams and could care less what he did in regards to following/not following NCAA bylaws. I can honestly say that Calhoun’s teams were fun to watch and I was always amazed by some of the players he had come through UConn. He built an awesome program. He was also a very good coach who knew how to attack and expose weaker teams. Cheers to Jim on a great career!