Jennifer Lawrence’s Thursday News and Views

Premiere Of Liongate's "The Hunger Games" - Arrivals

Over the past few years, Jennifer Lawrence has become the best friend every woman wishes they had. She’s hilarious, talented, witty, and above all, not afraid to make a total fool of herself. Add into that the fact she’s a Kentucky native and gorgeous, and you’ve got a bonafide Bluegrass dream girl. (I like her so much that I’m even willing to forget the fact she’s a Louisville fan.) From falling down the stairs at the Oscars to her star-struck encounters with fellow stars, she’s a breath of much-needed fresh air in the manufactured mess of Hollywood. Need proof? Watch her geek out after seeing Jeff Bridges on the Comic Con red carpet earlier this week:

Wow, Jeff Bridges looks totally strange without facial hair.

Anyways, Lawrence’s Oscar is now a Kentuckian, too. She stored the coveted award out of sight in a hallway near her bathroom until her mother took it back to her family home in Kentucky, where it sits right on top of the piano. Why?

“My parents took it back to Kentucky, ‘cos I felt odd having it, like, on display in my house. If anybody’s coming over to my house, I didn’t want them to remember that. Just kind of puts a weird energy out. I put it in the hallway towards the bathroom, and my mom was like, ‘I’m taking it. It shouldn’t be here’. And now it’s on a piano in Kentucky!”

Keep keeping it real, Jennifer. And please, let’s rethink the Louisville thing.

It was a busy day, so let’s get to it.

— The Mark Stoops media tour rolled on Wednesday, with the annual Governor’s Cup Luncheon in Louisville. Stoops and Charlie Strong talked about the rivalry game, which Stoops says he knows is a big deal for fans and the program. That being said, Stoops pointed out that the future of the rivalry is really out of his hands if the SEC decides to go to nine conference games, but “we’ll see where that goes.” But, first up is Western Kentucky, a game which he says is his team’s first opportunity to keep up the momentum they’ve built up over the summer. Don’t worry, Ryan Lemond: Coach says he knows this game is “very important.”

It wouldn’t be a UK football press conference these days without a reference to #Yahtzee. Stoops was asked if he plays the actual game, to which he replied “Absolutely!”. But, he was quick to add that Vince Marrow is the best at the game. Naturally.

While Stoops said that Twitter has been a very useful tool for the staff thus far, they did find out just how powerful it can be earlier this week when word leaked (tweeked?) out that players would be required to wear suits and ties to games from now on. Stoops says that the staff’s still “working through that a little bit,” but it’s important to him to have players looking good and classy when they get off the bus in order to represent the school in the right way.

How are the players embracing all of the changes in the program?

“We see the players embracing it each and every day. They’re really hungry. They really appreciate our strength and conditioning staff goes about things, the way the coaches work with them. It’s important to all of us that those players are ‘my guys,’ not the previous coaches’ guys. They’re our guys and we embrace that and want them to feel fantastic about Kentucky, about where we’re going. They’re a big part of it. It’s very important to go out with the seniors and have a good year with them.”

Stoops will be back in Louisville for the Greater Louisville UK Alumni Club Wildcat Kickoff Luncheon on Friday, so there’s more where that came from.

— On Wednesday, we learned that Stoops’ signature recruiting method of bulk mailing isn’t just for recruits. The athletics department is sending out letters to former season ticket holders and young alumni, “recruiting” them to join the movement. Not just one letter…LOTS of letters. Check out this picture from “NoJortsNoProblems,” who was one of six people to get 50 letters in one day from the staff:

BP9ZqAGCMAAmztP

I had to know more, so I talked to UK spokesman DeWayne Peevy, who told me that the department sent out 10,000 cards in 5,000 bulk mailings. Each mailing contained anywhere from 1 to 50 cards, and each card had a minimum of five signatures, all signed by hand from members of the athletic department and every sports team’s coaching staff. Everyone got together to sign the cards in two different sessions on two different days, including Coach Cal, Orlando Antigua and John Robic, so yes, if you got a card, don’t just throw it in the trash. You may have an autograph from Cal and you don’t even know it.

If you’ve already got season tickets, don’t feel left out: the K-Fund promises a special surprise coming your way soon.

— Apparently, all of the department’s efforts are working. According to a Courier-Journal open-records request, season ticket sales are up 7,000 from this time last year, and at 43,177, are at their highest point since 2009. #PackCWS

— Switching over to basketball, 2014 point guard Josh Perkins narrowed his list to five on Wednesday: UCLA, Minnesota, Gonzaga, UConn and Kentucky. Kentucky still hasn’t officially offered Perkins a spot, and if they don’t soon, Perkins’ father says they’re off the list. He announces his decision on August 25th.

Where in the world is John Calipari? Still in Las Vegas, coaching at Team USA’s Basketball Fantasy Camp. He’s still wearing that awful shirt, too:

Screen shot 2013-07-24 at 4.55.32 PM

I think he wears it just to mess with us now.

— Speaking of Team USA Basketball, here’s a little “Who’d You Rather” with the team’s practice rosters today: White (MKG) vs. Blue (John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, and Anthony Davis).

Screen shot 2013-07-24 at 4.25.28 PM

Coach K says that one player who’s impressed him so far is Anthony Davis: “The very first thing (I’ve seen with the big men in camp) is how much Anthony Davis has developed. His defense … was outstanding.”

Keep making us proud, boys.

BP98_Q_CIAIJSsZ.jpg-large

— The KSR Tour of Affiliates if in the final stretch, and on Thursday, the whole crew will be at Whitaker Bank Ballpark with special guest JOHN ROBIC to talk about the Cats and how the basketball team’s looking this summer. If that’s not enough to get you to listen, Ryan Lemond will be in a full baseball uniform doing drills at one point. Not much can top that, but an early reminder that on Friday, MARK STOOPS will make an appearance at the Louisville tour stop (Safelite Auto Glass, 2271 Stanley Gault Parkway, Louisville, KY 40223). Big doesn’t even begin to cover it.

— Finally, we’ll end with this heartwarming picture of former President George H.W. Bush, who shaved his hair in solidarity with a young cancer patient. Regardless of your politics, that is just awesome. See you in the morning. BP90-vdCEAIL5Cj

35 Comments for Jennifer Lawrence’s Thursday News and Views

watch your hand there Bushy

4. skullanbonesdiss
    11:59 pm July 24, 2013 Permalink

Father like son………….

5. Rei
    12:26 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

Bush Sr. may’ve been a terrible president, but he’s an amazing guy. I can’t help but like the dude.

6. JPS
    12:31 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

Don’t know how many people know this but Jennifer Lawrence’s grandfather (Dave Lawrence) played basketball at UK in the 1930s.

She’s not the only grandchild of a former UK player who went on to be a movie star BTW.

7. Ridge Runner
    4:19 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

Just hope AD can get this year in minus injuries. But yes, first things first & good to see him getting some praise for his efforts he has put in thus far.

David Lawrence only player I know of from my old stomping grounds (Grant Co) but I didn’t know he was the g-pa of Jennifer. She does seem like a down to earth type for the Hollywood scene. Anyway, good stuff.

Yes, cool move by Bush Sr.

8. Wildcatsteeler
    5:26 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

Is it really that hard to put the blue square around the various different stories so we can comment on them each?

@ 5 Bush Sr. wasn’t a terrible president. Bush Sr. rightfully called Reagans economic policy “voodoo economics.” And he realized the country was in trouble and raised taxes after swearing he wouldn’t and knowing it would hurt/cost him reelection.
    His son was the worst president in US history but we can’t blame him for that. Dubya was a total F’up his entire life and the voters still elected him. That’s not seniors fault. He knew his son was an f’up

9. cracka
    7:39 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

8 – that was done throughout the day, this is the wrap-up of the news for the day … steeler fans … smh

10. kats
    8:02 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

all this is great but she is a U.L. Fan BIG TIME

11. MikeMan
    8:20 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

Gotta say the Blue team. Lillard, Wall, Barnes, Cousins and Davis is very strong. Although, so is Irving, Holiday, MKG, George and Jordan. Glad to be an American.

12. 6xJimmy
    8:22 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

Since you are showing UL fans, are you going to show a photo of Sheps new back tattoo?

13. btowncatfan
    8:24 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

Count me as skeptical with regard to JL’s grandfather playing at UK. Saw an interview with her when UK/UL played in Final Four. She said she was also a UK fan, but was rooting for UL in that game. She roots for both teams except when they play. Watching the interview, honestly not sure if she is really a basketball fan at all. Didn’t seem really interested, just answering the questions. Great move on the part of Bush Sr.

14. Do whut?
    8:28 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

#3 you put the ass in class.

15. Bobbum man
    8:34 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

Who cares if SEC goes to 9 games, they cannot let the UL UK game die

16. ReadMyLips
    8:35 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

In my opinion Bush 41 is responsible for 12 years of presidential disaster. He also liked Randy Travis way too much and his wife is a mean and nasty old woman.

17. Mark
    8:41 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

I am a staunch democrat and didn’t vote for either Bush proudly so -but this is indeed a class move by Bush Sr. Yes, I think he is a decent man.

3 = Idiotic moron
    16 = You give us liberals a bad rep.

18. Tommy want Wingy!
    8:43 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

16. Tell me about it! Wow your spot on. I’m so thankful now we have such elegant and class in the Whitehouse with Michelle Obama and BO

19. Kevin
    8:57 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

damn JL looks trashy-hot. 1 time is all I would ask for!

20. blueinbardstown
    9:02 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

41 doin’ it right. Enough said.

21. Jeff Garlin
    9:05 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

41 is pure class!

22. BlueRedNeck
    9:26 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

That was indeed a classy act by GHWB, and also his entire secret service staff. News account said the young toddler is afflicted with leukemia, and is the son of one of the secret service agents. They showed a picture of George Sr with the entire staff, all showing off their magnificent gleaming globes.

I do this every year to raise money for the St. Baldricks childhood cancer fundraiser. Can’t think of a better cause. Kudos to George Sr, and prayers to the little boy.

BTW – I think this country puts way too much faith in presidential politics having much sway in the economy. There are other factors, like normal economic cycles, worldwide events, and the rest of our political structure that have a lot more to do with the economy.

23. Barry Soetoro
    9:29 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

Bush 41 and 43 are class acts! If we could only have that kind of class and dignity in the White House today. Obamanation’s (aka Divider in Chief) only concern now is how to bring down this country.

24. BPM
    9:53 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

JL is definitely David Lawrence’s granddaughter. Not sure about her, but her brothers and parents are die hard UL fans and knowledgable basketball fans. Good people despite their affinity for UL.

25. 3 fan
    9:55 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

What a great move by 41 and the Secret Service!

26. I Say
    10:21 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

I would have to go with the White team, though the teams seem uneven. The White team is guard heavy and the blue team has better bigs

27. cotton nash
    10:37 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

Mrs. TT,..you’re okay. Well,..way better than just okay, if the truth be known! (Still think you were not very supportive of Archie early on,..but we all make mistakes so I’ll give you a pass on that one.) You’d be a great veep. But I maintain,….. Drew Franklin for President!!!

28. Teachable Mo'
    10:47 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

re: 23

And it keeps getting funnier and funnier every time.

29. RobUKfan
    10:47 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

The director he spoke of in that clip, Scott Cooper, is from kentucky as well. He went to Somerset High School.

30. Jennifer
    11:02 am July 25, 2013 Permalink

48 seconds

31. spookykim
    1:32 pm July 25, 2013 Permalink

On “who’d you rather?”, after seeing the naked pics of Wall vs Faried, I’d “rather” with Faried. 🙂

32. Megan
    3:16 pm July 25, 2013 Permalink

Ugh, Jennifer with the raccoon look. That’s a shame. She’s so naturally pretty.

I’m a liberal, and I like George H.W. Bush. But I tend to like politicians after they’ve left the nasty world of politics. They suddenly become much more likable people. And now that I see what politics has become, I miss the GHWBs of the world.

If GHWB and Pres. O can yuck it up, if John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins and Peyton Siva and Russ Smith can hang out, maybe it shows that we are all far too partisan for our own good.

31 – You and me both. Ooh, that’s an image!

33. Bunny
    3:35 pm July 25, 2013 Permalink

Bush 41 shows a lot of class here.

#3 & #16: Obama and Carter are the worst US Presidents in US history – hands down – and without a doubt…

34. jhnny
    7:46 pm July 25, 2013 Permalink

#32- “And now that I see what politics has become, I miss the GHWBs of the world.”

YES, agree completely.

35. JPS
    10:00 pm July 25, 2013 Permalink

#13, Jennifer Lawrence definitely is Dave Lawrence’s granddaughter. You proclaim skepticism because she was rooting for U of L, but if you had read the link I provided, you would know that Dave Lawrence went on to become the Dean of Men at the University of Louisville. Given that, it shouldn’t be hard to see how she likes both teams.