Jeff Sheppard Running the UL Autograph Tour

shep

The city of Louisville is abuzz about the news today that the Jefferson County Public Schools broke rules by allowing UL players Peyton Siva and Gorgui Dieng, the ability to sell autographs at the public schools. Apparently this is against local policy prohibiting such ventures, and schools still allowed the sales without knowing it violated the rule. I can’t really get worked up about this, as it happens all around the state and the kids who are at the school do get the ability to see the players speak for free. While I understand not wanting to segregate those kids who can pay for autographs from those who can’t, I also understand the goal of trying to make some money after just winning a Championship. Many UK and UL players have done this in the past, but for whatever reason, this time it is an issue.

What was interesting to me is that former UK Final Four MVP Jeff Sheppard is running the tour. He apparently set up the autograph sessions and was responsible for getting many of the schools on board for the events. One of the most beloved UK players of all time, running the autograph sessions for the UL national champion? Next thing you know, you will tell me that a former UK coach is the once that coached that national title team. What is this world coming to?

Article written by Matt Jones

29 Comments for Jeff Sheppard Running the UL Autograph Tour

1. Deepblue
    10:48 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

I don’t know if its newsworthy….but it does make me like him slightly less.

2. Eddy from Eddyville
    10:53 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

This could also be a big NCAA violation and result in a vacated Final Four

This serious matter should be investigated by an independent commission or a select committee that should report only to Richie Farmer

3. jax daddy
    10:53 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

I wonder if Shepp & Slick Rick having matching “L”oser tatoo’s? Seems they both have something in common…No loyalty for the Blue, only for the Green!

4. Kristen Geil's Abs
    11:00 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

UL waited 27 years to win a titled, and now it will be vacated. That’s a real shame.

5. STEVE!
    11:02 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

I hope the “right people” will look into this.

6. Rtuk
    11:04 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Does anyone really care??

7. red headed step child
    11:07 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Jeff has lost my respect. I guess he has now dropped off my top ten.
    Sorry!!ยก!!

8. Mr. Stop Complaining
    11:11 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Who cares if its not the story of the year? It’s relevant to some UK fans and it is obviously keeping some of you winers occupied late at night. Jeez. Some fans are like a nagging girlfriend….

9. Tennessee Wildcat
    11:17 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Oh well, I’m sure Jeff is just trying to make a living and this probably is a profitable business to be involved in. This doesn’t change my opinion of him. I have to work in Alabama and Tennessee with my job. Does that make me lesser of a UK fan? Absolutely not!!!

10. fyou
    11:18 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

Shepherd can die for all I care. F U go be a cardinal we dont want you anymore.

11. old man
    11:21 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

I don’t understand what the issue is. Last week, Nerlens Noel was with Jeff Shepard at London Elem and those kids were paying for autographs. Well, maybe they were officially purchasing the poster or basketball, which was then signed for “free.” It don’t bother me that Jeff is doing this for UL; heck, we all like to get paid. I just don’t see why it’s an issue in Louisville but not London.

12. mudcreekmark
    11:31 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

12) I imagine different school districts have different rules about these type activities at their schools. For you all saying they broke some kind of NCAA rule, I hope you are kidding. Siva and Deng aren’t coming back so they can make all the money they want. And Jeff Shepherd has done these type tours for our players and he is just using his contacts to get these guys the same opportunity. I’m sure he makes a percentage of the proceeds.

13. old man
    11:35 pm April 29, 2013 Permalink

‘ppreciate it mudcreekmark. I thought it was just local rules but when people started saying ncaa violation I was thinking I was missing something. I hope we’re not at the point that we look at everything UL does as an opportunity for a violation. Some of these folks would like to put surveillance on the vending machines and monitor the cupcakes in the cafeteria during official visits.

14. Blue4ever
    12:15 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

I sure liked Jeff a lot better before i TRIED to get to know him. Truth is, he’s arrogant and has no need, unless he needs u, to be nice to you. Very arrogant and has, and I cant blame him, taken advantage of his big blue days. Still wish him the best but to bad he has to be that way. This doesnt suprise me at all…

15. UK22
    12:29 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

Jeff will always be my favorite UK player. I believe Pitino was his coach prior to Tubby. Don’t forget. Either way BBN don’t get all worked up about it. He did help get us a championship. Guy could jump out of the gym!

16. ProbeUltra
    12:49 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

Selling autographs to High School kids…??? WTF is that? What are they doing, hoping the kids give them their lunch money???

17. CATandMONKEY
    6:38 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

Probe:
    Those awful musicians, Hollywood-types and clothing companies taking lunch money from unwitting youngsters. Oh, the Humanity!

18. pukebucket
    6:49 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

Reminds me of my ex-girlfriend who now dates a black dude…good memories but damaged goods.

19. old Shep fan
    7:05 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

It’s a shame what some people will do for money. Really, how much could Shep have made off this deal? And for what, potentially pissing off the BBN? Sure, we’ll probably forgive him – but this yet again illustrates the ethics and loyalty of players under pitino. They learned from ‘the best.’

20. Black Dude
    7:09 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

#18 – Thanks for not stretch’n that sh!t out. And for the record, she still speaks highly of you – she said you would always finish before the commercials were over.

21. kes
    7:47 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

piss on jeff, and piss on walter mccartey and ANY OTHER ex uk player that has anything to do with scum

22. big j dawg
    8:31 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

My dad owned the company that did the shadowbox posters and after Jeff won the Final Four MVP he was scheduled to come sign my dads posters at the mall. After an hour of not showing up, my dad finally got a hold of his “secretary” (mom/girlfriend) who said he would have to reschedule. He is the last person i would have for this position regardless of the side. Never liked him since

23. Delk for 3
    9:10 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

This whole notion of selling expensive autographs to public school kids/families is kind of low down and dirty. A public school — with kids from families of varying incomes — have no business holding such an event. It makes me sad to think of some kids, who have families who can’t afford the autographs, walking around school while other kids are flaunting their basketballs and posters. This venture also just unfairly sucks money out of families. If you want to sell your autographs, go to the mall. There is no place for this autograph selling stuff going on at a public school. The speaking session is educational, but getting in line to get autographs is a waste of kids’ time.

24. Reed
    9:15 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

I am sure all of you true blue Kentucky fans will be waving the Old Kentucky Home flag at Jeff when his son is top shooting guard prospect in a few years and will have forgiven him for making a few thousand on some basketball signings.

25. Jrly
    9:15 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

Heard that they had bought around 2,500 basketballs to be sold for $ 40 each and several thousand posters as well to be sold for $ 20 each and I was glad to hand him my $ 40 to get my son an autographed Noel ball

26. CATlanta
    10:12 am April 30, 2013 Permalink

Jeff is a great CAT, but the man has to make a living!

27. sunnycat
    12:53 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Matt Jones your liberalism is showing again. Who cares what kids can or cannot afford an autograph……thats life.

Those bashing Sheppard and McCarty get real. Its a business decision and any of you would gladly do the same thing they are doing.

28. sunnycat
    12:58 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

One more thing Matt since your into the whole have and have nots thing I got my eye on a pretty sweet 2013 BMW X5 4.8 but I am a little short on the 70k if you would like to kick in some coins hit me up Bro.

29. Season Never Ends
    1:15 pm April 30, 2013 Permalink

Jeff Sheppard is a gentleman who represents Kentucky basketball with class. If he wants to make a few bucks off of Louisville fans (which I find hilarious) let him do so.

He is anything but arrogant and entitled.

He’s also responsible for ring #7. So there’s that.