Jeff Pearlman Is Going To Have A Long Afternoon

Because Wikipedia has decided to fight the power, I don’t know too much about Jeff Pearlman outside of what is listed in his official bio.  He’s worked for ESPN.com and Sports Illustrated.  He’s written five books, with the most recent, “Sweetness:  The Enigmatic Life Of Walter Payton”, serving as the last member of the Beisner Book Club.  He lives in New York.  He likes swallowing gum and he likes watching his toes wiggle.

And, oh yeah, one more thing.  He’s going to have a very interesting Wednesday afternoon.

Article written by Thomas Beisner

72 Comments for Jeff Pearlman Is Going To Have A Long Afternoon

1. first
    11:03 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

second

2. knightynight
    11:04 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

2nd.

3. Another Perspective
    11:05 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

Willful ignorance needs no response. It says all you might say about it without your having to sully one’s self.

4. Scottie
    11:05 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

My only question is, why are you following him?

5. Mr Schwump
    11:08 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

So he doesn’t want a free education for his kid?

6. BlueVooDoo
    11:10 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

Light his twitter up BBN #jeffpearlmanisjealous

7. Jimi Garden of Eden
    11:10 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

Cal says…I would rather your punk-ass kid go to school and not play for me…

8. Brad
    11:11 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

If we all take the bait, he’ll get page hits/followers/immense traffic. Which is exactly what he wants. It’s an underhanded tactic, but it’ll work.

9. KD
    11:11 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

…and Mr. Pearlman knows what about John Calipari?

10. Truthteller
    11:14 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

Thanks for the email. I really believe we should reward this guy and sign him up for as many free newsletters and company email lists as we can. It’s the least we can do, he clearly yearns for knowledge.

11. HatersBeHatin'
    11:15 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

Not everyone loves UK or Coach Calipari’s success. Only UK opponents are the ones that dislike Cal because he beats their asses… no one likes an ass beatin’. “I wouldn’t want my kid to even go to college if Cal was the Coach”… puh-leeze. Sounds like a jealous little whiny baby.

12. me
    11:15 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

kid’s probably going to end up dumb like his dad

13. James K
    11:18 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think that makes you an idiot.

14. Rod
    11:19 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

Probably because his kid is in prison

15. BLARGE!
    11:21 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

16. Treats
    11:22 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

Probably a ploy to get more followers. Didn’t work for SteveScott though.

17. The Cheese
    11:23 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

You should see Arkansas message board. They are saying the same thing as this tool. With success comes jealousy.

18. Jeff Pearlman
    11:24 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

More about me…..I’m smarter than everyone especially people that aren’t from New York. And definitely smarter than all the athletes I cover (they’re all such a bore).

Seriously….read this guy’s site….he’s pretentious as hell.

19. mocha
    11:26 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

Jeffpearlman.com

20. Drew Apologizes For The Error
    11:29 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

Jeff Pearlman/Pete Thamel/Pat Forde: Ps of yellow journalistic horsedung. Go about your business. Nothing to see here.

21. exclamation
    11:30 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

i don’t remember UK extending a scholly offer to his son … am i missing it ?

22. UKscott
    11:34 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

His child probably sucks at basketball anyways

23. FartSmacker
    11:34 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

I bet his son is not good enough for Cal to even take a look at.

24. MC
    11:37 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

That’s unfortunate. I always liked Pearlman’s stuff. Loved his book about the ’86 Mets.

25. bring back BTI
    11:39 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

I enjoyed his writing about Walter Payton. This is strike one; it’s a pretty bad one, but I’m not going to give up on him yet.

26. mocha
    11:44 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

Didn’t he start n’sync?

27. Will
    11:45 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

#AnthonyDavisSaysShutUp

28. yevkazim
    11:47 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

Beisner, you can still view wikipedia today. If you do a search for it, in the search hit list, click on the word CACHED next to the link you would typically click, and you will be able to view the content of the site for that person. may not be 100 percent up to date, or look as pretty, but it still will be there.

29. bmt22033
    11:51 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

If his kids are anything like he seems to be, I’d say he doesn’t have to worry about either situation anytime soon…

30. robster
    11:53 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

Davis recieved some love for his, block shoots total, on Dan Patrick Show, “Stat of the Day”…Go Cats!!!

31. SteveM
    11:54 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

Why does one even need to go to college to become a TV “journalist”? Seems like a waste of time and money to me. Any fool can open his mouth and prove uneqivocally that he really is one.

32. jeremy
    11:54 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

So did he give a reason why he said this??? Or is he just like everyone else, just trying to get hits on whatever sad site he writes for??? Or is his job on the line and he is grasping for air and said what can I write about that will get me some hits and get my name in the spot light again…SAD!

33. Bubba Earl
    11:57 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

I will call him ABIYDAN, similar to Stacey Poole Sr., word means “my father is judge” Mr Pearlman

34. thereplyneverlies
    11:57 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

Yep don’t even respond, don’t tweet, no email
    it’s a fishing hit to see how many UK fans will
    light him up and he’ll use the response to
    further advance his writing. #ignorethehaters

35. gameday
    11:59 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

He says there is no attachment for a kid that stays just one year. Yeah that is why John Wall and Demarcus Cousins continue to come to UK games, played in the pick up games this summer and continue to suppor the team through twitter. What a joke.

36. Bob Loblaw
    11:59 am January 18, 2012 Permalink

It’s not Cal’s fault that the system is broken. The NBA needs to man up and fix this. The one and done system is killing college basketball and the NBA.

37. Reality Is
    12:07 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Cousins, now a millionaire, was outside of Memorial Coliseum passing out breakfast, that he bought, to fans as they camped out for Madness. Why did he come back and do this after he had left UK and was now in the NBA? Because he doesn’t care about UK or the fans and there is no attachment? That has to be the reason!

38. Worldwide Wes
    12:08 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Y’all act like these critics didn’t exist until Cal came to UK. It’s actually a smaller group now because until three years ago, most of Big Blue Nation (including Matt Jones) could see Calipari for what he was and expressed similar sentiments to the one quoted in this story. It has nothing to do with people “hating” UK’s success. It has to do with the trail of slime that has followed Calipari through the other stops in his career.

39. oldhamcatfan
    12:11 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

And I would rather my kid never learn to read than to read crap from third rate sports writers, so we’re even.

40. lol
    12:22 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

He wrote a book insinuating that Walter Payton was a junkie and received universal criticism for it. He’s a hack.

41. Joker Blows
    12:28 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

He would rather his kid be a dumb piece of trash than play basketball for Coach Cal……..That makes a lot of sense. Not only is he a hack…hes a dumb hack. I feel like an idiot for even reading and posting this!!!

42. Coach Cal here
    12:36 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

haters gonna hate

43. Raazoul
    12:36 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

He’s a complete joke as a writer. His book is an embarrassment to shitty sports books everywhere. He is simply trying to use BBN to get some of his books sold, because people who have read it think its a piece of shit, or that he’s a piece of shit… something like that.

44. Bill O'Reilly
    12:38 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

He dissed Meghan Kelly today too! #jeffpearlmanisjealous

45. Craig Scratch Weaver
    12:38 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

My problem with this isn’t that he clearly doesn’t like Cal. That is fine and he is entitled to his opinion obviously, but to imply that the players aren’t attending school half of the year is ridiculous. Cal is recruiting under the rules the system has in place. As we all know, Orton is the only one to not finish out his year after moving on to the NBA. I certainly think Pearlman’s opinion is absurd, but he is entitled to it. I cannot understand how he can make a blanket statement about the players that way. Sure education is important, but I certainly would fault my son for making a crap load of money before finishing his education.

46. Craig Scratch Weaver
    12:40 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

that should say “wouldn’t”…

47. Wrong sport
    12:42 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

We are safe Calipari doesn’t coach DANCE TEAM!

48. cristoforouk
    12:48 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

#jeffpearlmandoesntexist

49. jeff pearlnecklace
    12:51 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Rain on me!

50. ron burgundy
    12:57 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Screw Pearlman, Hellboy sucked anyways

51. bluebloodtoo
    1:02 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Sign this guy up for the world’s worst dad award. I’m sure his statement was hyperbole, but the truth is usually not far behind.

52. Really?
    1:05 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Who wants their kid to reach the NBA and become a millionaire? That’s just awful. First round pick? Lottery Pick? How could a parent watch their child go through such an awful thing? I’d much rather my son play for someone like Bobby Knight and get choke slammed or play for Bruce Pearl and hang out at illegal cook outs on the way to going undrafted and playing in Yugoslavia.

53. chipanzy
    1:07 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

His son’s name is Bruce Pearlman.

54. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
    1:09 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Since he’s from NY, he’d rather his kid play for Syracuse and be molested. Classic northeastern douchebag.

55. Me
    1:09 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

And why can’t Cal sue Jeff and SI.com? I mean, does SI.com know Jeff said this? Does Jeff and SI.com know that their access to UK will be limited when we win the Championship? I wish Cal would push this issue and make Jeff apologize for his comments. That would be pretty funny.

“I, Jeff Pearlman, would like to apologize to Coach John Calipari and the University of Kentucky as well as SI.com for my unfortunate comments. Coach Cal is the MAN, and he has a larger penis than I do.”

56. Ben
    1:14 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Some people should not be allowed to reproduce! He is one!

57. KER
    1:20 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Jeff writes like Charmin makes paper. Both are only good to use to clean my butt with!! Why spend anytime on this idiot?

58. Tena
    1:26 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

I would rather not READ anything the rest of my life than read ANYTHING written by Jeff Pearlman

59. Wildcat Kyle
    1:44 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

I dont think he has to worry about that!!!

60. Another Perspective
    1:46 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

For the record, Wikipedia is not shut down on smartphones.

61. Al's IndiCats
    1:55 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

If this Jack in the Box lives around the New York area, why would it be a shock to anyone? Let’s face it, many of those folks root for the Big Orange Molester and UConn (ICon). Who care what these hacks write. All they’re wanting is for the BBN to respond. It’s like going to a family Reunion, and then remembering you have a cousin that is a brat and a liar and a theif. So if you don’t want anything stolen or have him say something that he’ll lie about, just ignore him and then sooner or later he’ll go steal or lie about somebody else. New England writers do what they do best. Take things out of context and then make it their agendas. Not everyone likes the KENTUCKY EFFECT!!!!

62. Doubting Thomas
    2:08 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

i heard his son is actually an actor and auditioning for Yentel II

63. Doubting Thomas
    2:10 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

doesnt his sone sometimes sing with adam levine?

64. best1978
    3:02 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Who is Jeff Pearlman?

65. Dave in Kabul
    3:10 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

what a……….DICK!

66. Dave in Kabul
    3:13 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

SPEAKING OF…….

Why aren’t you guys fightin’ da POWAH!?!

Join the cause fellas. At least a banner.

Totally uncool.

I joined ’em and blacked out my blog.

67. UofLsucks
    5:48 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Jeff likes swallowing gum and watching his toes wiggle?? He put that crap in his bio?? LMFAO Yup.. He’s a CRACK HEAD. I bet gum isn’t all he swallows while he wiggles his ass..I mean toes. LMFAO LMFAO. GO CATS!! GO CAL!!

68. Prince
    6:28 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

69 everybody !

69. anj
    7:25 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

******Read this quote from one of his recent blog posts.*******

“I’ve been working on my new project for about two months–and I have yet to conduct an interview. It’s been all clip digging, day after day after day. Come midnight, I’m exhausted, and my hands are coated in newsprint. I love it.”

Random tweet? Maybe not. His next book could be about Coach Cal.

70. anj
    7:26 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

Blog Title – For Love of Research

71. JPhelps
    10:23 pm January 18, 2012 Permalink

I just got in a shootout with him tonight. Guy is oblivious to the fact that going to school is ultimately about bettering yourself to make money!