Jeff Borzello calls Tyler Ulis “Just what Kentucky needs”

Tyler Ulis stands at 5’8″, 142 lbs. Tonight, Tyler Ulis joined a long line of John Calipari point guards– almost all of whom have gone on to be very successful not only in college, but at the professional level. The other heights of Calipari’s recent point guards? 6-foot-4, 6-foot-6, 6-foot-4, 6-foot-3, 6-foot-2 and 6-foot-5. Ulis is 6 inches shorter than one of Calipari’s most successful smaller guards, Marquis Teague.

Much has been made about the fact that Ulis is not the prototype for a Calipari point guard. In the moment following his commitment to Kentucky earlier this evening, CBS Sports’ Jeff Borzello stated that he thinks Ulis is “just what Kentucky needs.”

“I’m here to tell you that Kentucky fans are going to be pleasantly surprised with Ulis. And I know exactly where they are coming from, too. I first watched Ulis two and a half years ago, when he was playing on the AAU circuit with the 15U version of the Mainstreets. He played extremely well, making clutch plays down the stretch and leading his team to a win…

Was I impressed? I guess. But in the end, he was 5-foot-8…

…Thirty months later, I’m here to tell Kentucky fans the same thing. Ulis may not jump out at you on paper, but he’s exactly what the Wildcats needs: a point guard who doesn’t need to score in order to make an impact. Calipari will surround him with plenty of talent, and Ulis will excel in that type of environment.”

Borzello goes on to say that with a guy like Ulis on the roster for potentially 4 years, the pressure isn’t necessarily on Calipari to HAVE to find an elite point guard in every single recruiting class.

[Borzello:  Not a classic Calipari PG, Tyler Ulis is just what Kentucky needs ]

Article written by Ally Tucker

I once successfully requested "The Wobble" to be played 6 times at one wedding.

15 Comments for Jeff Borzello calls Tyler Ulis “Just what Kentucky needs”

1. binarysolo
    9:07 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

Cal must’ve known this when he went to visit Tyus Jones. So…….. does he think we’ll have both? In hindsight, didn’t Bledsoe sign first and then Wall?

2. Jeff
    9:10 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

This kid makes much better decisions than Mudiay. I love this get by Cal. He will be ranked where he should be by the end of the high school year (5 star and top 25)…look out!

3. Marcy Jordan
    9:25 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

Does anyone have the link to his announcement?

4. Mam from Webster
    9:26 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

So proud of my baby boy.

5. Jen
    9:42 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

I’m very pleased with Ulis’ commitment, but the idea of “him running the show for the next four years,” as Borzello says, is a stretch, as if Cal’s going to stop recruiting Malik Newman, etc.

6. Peyton Siva
    9:44 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

You rubes made fun of my height for years. This kid is so small, even I could post him up.

7. UKCatsRedsColts
    9:44 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

I’m asking basically what #3 is asking but I’m hoping KSR would post the video of Tyler Ulis’s announcement.

8. Tennessee Wildcat
    9:47 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

If he can be similar in game to a Dickie Beal or even Cliff Hawkins, if not better, then we are definitely in good shape at the point guard slot for a few years. We also have Dominique Hawkins and hopefully James Blackmon, Jr., who can also help out at the point. Our number one issue right now for the 2014-15 season is the two and three positions. We really need some shooters to go with what we will likely have coming back.

9. Louisville1Cal4
    10:15 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

@6 We made fun of Siva for his height because he tried to play bigger than what he was forever & did a horrible job at it. I actually recall seeing your fans start numerous threads during his freshmen-junior seasons after UofL would lose saying they wanted Siva gone.
    Ulis doesn’t have that problem though, he’s a pass first guard.

10. UKCatsRedsColts
    10:48 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

#3 here ya go.

11. Wildcatsteeler
    11:20 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

I don’t worry about small guards offense, it’s when they have to D someone 5+ inches taller that it becomes a problem. It’s one thing if you’re small and stocky you can body a bigger guy. He’s young though so he can still put on some weight.

12. WKYblue
    11:28 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

Am I the only person that maybe thinks that Cal already has a starting PG next year in Hawkins. He lit up the twins last year n a tourney . Everybody is wanting Jones n other big recruits for next year n we already have a good one with a year of college experience. I se Hawkins starting next year. Call me a fool.

13. Louisville1Cal4
    11:32 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

@12 I won’t call you a fool for it but I’m sure if Cal felt Hawkins could start for us next year he wouldn’t have signed Ulis. While Ulis may be here 2-3 years (depending on his performances) I say Hawkins could very well start his senior season (junior possibly but I doubt it).

14. Kevin C
    1:32 am September 14, 2013 Permalink

He’s Too Short…. and I Ain’t Trippin’.

15. Richmond KY
    11:03 am September 14, 2013 Permalink

You guys keep saying that Cal has his point guard in Dominique Hawkins!! Folks, I’ve seen this kid play throughout his high school career. He’s a great kid and a good basketball player, but he’s not gonna be our star point guard that you people think he will. Write it down!!