Jay Bilas gets it

I commentate the game like John Madden. ‘Cause I played in the game like John Madden.

Everyone outside of Big Blue Nation seems to have a problem with ESPN’s all-access coverage of the Cats — everyone, except Jay Bilas. The former Dukie and should-be-NCAA-President took to Twitter today to defend Kentucky and the television series.

Article written by Drew Franklin

22 Comments for Jay Bilas gets it

1. Jake
    3:50 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

Bamas commercials.. Roll tide

2. The Big Spoon
    3:53 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

I hope Jay Bilas never gets into a Twitter war with Chuck Norris, the world would explode.

3. Jon O
    3:54 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

really wish Jay Bilas wasn’t a Puke Alum.

4. UKFanInCincy
    3:56 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

I love this…

5. ltylerj
    3:58 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

Jay Bilas poops ice cream.

6. Maxwell
    3:59 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

This is the second or third time I have read something Jay Bilas has said which has caused me to gain alot of respect for him.

7. NickKennard
    4:03 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

Jay Bilas deserves respect. Although his “swag” may be too big for the NCAA Prez’s job, I think he’d make a great one, and I’ve been saying that for years.

8. DCS195
    4:12 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

Jay Bilas has always been the most objective sports commentator that I can remember. He says what he truly believes without any preconceived agenda, prejudice or bias. You may not always agree with him but his position is not made to take someone down, to blacken someone else’s name or to promote him or his former school, coach or associations. I have the utmost respect for him and his comments are usually dead on.

9. CATlanta
    4:20 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

It is impressive how unbias Jay is. What ever he says he always has a valid reason, unlike Dickie V who will watch one game at Duke and think there the best team ever then go watch a game at Kansas and become there spokesman until the next team he goes to watch. He ALWAYS picks the favorites. Everytime.

10. mlvei
    4:20 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

#8 – I agree with you. Bilas seems almost totally unbiased, to me, and I also have considerable respect for his opinions. To be a Duke graduate, or a UK grad, means nothing to me if someone speaks the truth with an agenda, and I think Bilas is worth listening to!

11. Go Away BD
    4:25 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

Someone seems to have forgotten that he was invited to come to Camelot and sit in the iron throne but the Mad King told him not to. Now he wants to complain about Camelot ruling the kingdom? Grow up Eddie Munster!

12. JackB
    4:39 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

Not all Duke grads suck. Bilas is one of them.

Note – I love the implied slight on Knight – he’s not a “bigshot.”

13. Linda Taylor
    4:51 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

Bilas rocks. He is hands down the best national sportscaster in the country. His opinions are always well-reasoned. I just wish I was with it enough to understand all of his twitter swag.

14. Feezie
    4:54 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

Trill. Trill indeed, Mr. Bilas.

15. OhioJoe4UK
    5:23 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

Jay Bilas is one of the best in the business.

16. NorCalUKFanatic
    5:32 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

Know why ESPN picked UK for all access, because YOU CAN’T TEACH RELENTLESS*, which is what the fans, coach, and program are – and hopefully the players will become.

*Bilas’ description of MKG on draft night – my favorite quote ever, someone please make some t-shirts up with this slogan.

17. catfan68
    6:03 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

How about Bilas as UK AD?

18. 508B
    6:41 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

He’s defending his boss, ESPN, against attacks of them being bias and helping promote Kentucky. Doubt he would defend Fox or CBS publicly if they did the same thing for Kansas, UCLA or Florida.

19. UK
    7:18 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

18, then you simply do not follow him. He daily cites hypocrisies of the NCAA from Kentucky down to low D1 schools. Nothing to do with ESPN. I recommend you do some research first.

He is one of the best in the business.

20. Duke Sucks
    11:10 pm October 25, 2012 Permalink

I put Bilas in the same category as Sir Charles. Both speak their mind of what they think is right. Now that doesn’t mean I agree with every thing they say by no means. I do respect it though. If you watch Bilas much you would know he goes against his own colleagues often. He’s not as loud or outspoken as Chuck but he does get his point across.
    Furthermore JB got my respect when he broke ESPN’s golden rule and talk negatively about Coach K. When he said Coach K didn’t know how to Coach Rivers last year. He said K couldn’t coach a 1 on 1 player like rivers and was to stubborn to change his style to suit his talen. He even went on to say Cal was the best at adjusting to his talent. You know he got a trip to the bosses office after that.

21. Zac
    10:02 am October 26, 2012 Permalink

Bilas is also one of the guys that also calls out Duke when it is deserved. I believe it was about 5-6 years ago when Duke lost a string of games and were out of the top 25. They just plain, flat-out sucked and Bilas called out Duke and Coach K about it.

He says what he thinks and it is typically very well thought out. Great guy.

22. Dolfan66r
    10:28 am October 26, 2012 Permalink

Jay is a great guy. It doesnt hurt that his niece is engaged to Mark Krebs!