Jasper says he has a good relationship with Gillispie

jasper

It turns out this isn’t one big joke on everyone back in Kentucky after all. Derrick Jasper told The Las Vegas Sun that he will be joining Billy Gillispie’s staff at Texas Tech as a graduate assistant. Jasper admits that it is “shocking to some people” but he sees it as a great opportunity to begin his coaching career while finishing his master’s degree.

Despite the assumed fall out over Jasper’s recovery from knee surgery, he says there are no hard feelings between the two…

“I think that was blown out of proportion a bit. We had a good relationship. It wasn’t bad. It was me wanting to get closer to him. I wouldn’t be going back to work for him if I didn’t believe he was a good guy.”

That knee injury destroyed any hopes of a professional career and now it is bringing the two back together…

“I always wanted to get into coaching eventually. I figured out that my knee wasn’t going to hold up for that long, and I knew I wanted to still be involved with basketball and that I have a lot to give to the sport.”

Jasper says he is looking forward to learning the coaching business and starting his career in a comfortable spot. He’ll have two years at Texas Tech under Gillispie.

It’s still so hard to believe.

[via Las Vegas Sun]

Article written by Drew Franklin

25 Comments for Jasper says he has a good relationship with Gillispie

1. Brewer
    12:12 pm June 1, 2011 Permalink

Seems like more than a few things involving BCG were blown out of proportion

2. KING REX #3
    12:14 pm June 1, 2011 Permalink

FIRST MF’RS!!!!

Jasper working for Coach BCG is C4!!!! I give it 2 years!!!

3. KING REX #3
    12:15 pm June 1, 2011 Permalink

king….failed!!! shit!!!

4. Blue Virus
    12:21 pm June 1, 2011 Permalink

2- epic fail

5. Rockfield, KY
    12:22 pm June 1, 2011 Permalink

Jasper always seemed like a good guy and maybe Gillispie feels like he owes him a shot and its not that big a a risk with a good kid.

6. truBLU
    12:25 pm June 1, 2011 Permalink

What a shame. Jasper was one of my most favorite players. His all-around game translated very well to the league I believe.

7. True Dat
    12:26 pm June 1, 2011 Permalink

Alot of people don’t know his name is Derrick Clyde Jasper, so I’m not surprised at all. I hope you like Dr. Pepper my friend. Good luck.

8. Cal's Hair
    12:28 pm June 1, 2011 Permalink

Learning about the coaching business from BCG is sort of like learning about law enforcement from Otis Campbell.

9. tom
    12:29 pm June 1, 2011 Permalink

Jasper, from all accounts a nice guy but in the end wasn’t really a Kentucky heart and soul kind of guy. He left for Vegas to follow his girlfriend. Have never read where he praised UK or talked positively about the program.He hit some killer 3’s though during that win in Knoxville. Sorry about his knee and wish him well.

10. The Rick Bozich O Face
    12:44 pm June 1, 2011 Permalink

Like I said yesterday. Maybe some of the Jasper/Billy G stories were fabricated or blown out of proportion.

11. truBLU
    12:59 pm June 1, 2011 Permalink

LOL @ #8

12. Former Coach Enes
    1:10 pm June 1, 2011 Permalink

Maybe he’s following the same girlfriend to Lubbock. She was apparently worth leaving UK for the first time, maybe she’s worth taking a job with Billy G. Total speculation obviously.

13. Gilchrist on D
    1:14 pm June 1, 2011 Permalink

Ah yeah, the knee brace game.

14. Brian
    1:31 pm June 1, 2011 Permalink

@1. yeah like his knack for recruiting and great relationship building with players

15. invisibleink
    1:54 pm June 1, 2011 Permalink

it all good until Billy G asks him to stop going to his master’s degree classes so that he can work on practice more

16. martinbluther
    2:00 pm June 1, 2011 Permalink

Also today, droves of stray dogs started showing up and wagging their tails at Michael Vick’s Philadelphia home…

17. cant see comments
    2:30 pm June 1, 2011 Permalink

!

18. G Unit
    2:46 pm June 1, 2011 Permalink

It just goes to show how much you guys know about UK basketball and whose fault it really was that we were going thru those couple of years.
    He only played the hand he was dealt,,The returning starters were a bust in Tubby’s sys,and Patterson would not have came Ky if Tubby had been there. He took Bradley & Crawford and made them all SEC performers,,Took that first team to the NCAA Tourney,,Tubby wouldn’t have gotten close.
    Then didn’t have a true point guard the next year,,now come on ,,how hard is to win in the SEC without a true point guard?
    I can go on and on and on.. But you guys ought to know this,,But you’re like every typical Ky fan and there’s none bigger than me,,As long as things are going good and we’re winning than everything must be OK..But look a little deeper with things go bad.
    Let me ask you,, What coach can take a Dynasty,,not just any school than has a couple of good yrs than they’re gone,,a school like Ky. And take them out of the top 30 in the rankings and here’s the key word ” without” being on probation,,There’s were the blame Lies!!!
    The two players the your group keep’s harping on Harrellson and Jasper,,Loves the guy,
    So come on get in the game,,and quit taking the High Road.
    G

19. Will
    3:03 pm June 1, 2011 Permalink

#18 the fact that you compare Tubby fn Smith to Billy G is a travesty. He did not do one thing right when he was here except cozy up to coeds at Two Keys at closing time.

20. ZombieLibrarian
    3:40 pm June 1, 2011 Permalink

#18’s gotta be a joke. Just has to be.

21. MammaKin
    4:11 pm June 1, 2011 Permalink

what else would Jasper say about his now BOSS….”Yeah Billy G is a real Douchebag. I wouldn’t have taken they job but it was this or Taco Bell”

I can’t even believe someone asked him this….I mean really..master of the obviouse.

22. KYBLUE
    4:41 pm June 1, 2011 Permalink

BCG had no relationship with the media and they burnt him for not playing their game….. I hear all the players didnt like him but i have yet to hear otherwise

23. CatBlue in LR
    5:13 pm June 1, 2011 Permalink

I personally think #18 staggered into a couple of good points. Maybe expressed a little vaguely, but nevertheless… If Matt paid as much attention to the failings of the Tubby era, we would be just as amazed at the stories of ineptitude that would come to light. I agree with #18 that he did much more damage to the program–granted, maybe only because he was given more time to do it–but the talent BCG had on his roster at any point compared very favorably to that of Tubby’s last couple of years. A senior class of Woo, Bobby Perry and Sheray–are you kidding me! The fourth member would have been Shegari Allegne. That’s the least talented class Kentucky has ever graduated!

But the people who run this site were too young during the Tubby decline, not plugged-in to give us the behind-the-scenes like they were during the BCG era, so the obsession with his failings continues…

24. Brewer
    5:44 pm June 1, 2011 Permalink

@14 not disagreeing with you there, but at the time a lot of UK fans were excited about the buzz surrounding recruits- maybe because that buzz was lacking during the past regime, which brings me to my next point..

@18 hits the nail on the head, despite mistaking commas for periods. BCG played the hand he was dealt- Tubby left him with a huge mess and would have faired no better had he not ran off to Minnesota. Tubster took a program at the top of college basketball and turned it into a joke, and unfortunately BCG gets the blame.

Would I trade Cal for BCG? Hell no. Would BCG performed better under better circumstances? I’d bet on it

25. MarvB
    7:18 pm June 1, 2011 Permalink

#18 G-unit. I love how you say typical Ky fan and you are one of the biggest. If I’m not mistaken that’s what I think could be called an oxymoron. I do still wish Mr Jasper the best of luck. He was a fine player, sort of reminded me of a tall Jason Kidd. If he has that basketball type of mind, he could turn out to be a great coach and I wish him luck.