Jason Jordan names Julius Randle, not Andrew Wiggins, his High School MVP

JULIUS-RANDLE-UK-JERSEY

You would think that picking the 2013 High School MVP would be a no-brainer after hearing all of Andrew Wiggins’ accolades (“best high school player since LeBron,” “the Canadian Jordan,” etc. etc.), but USA Today’s Jason Jordan has a different high school player in mind: Julius Randle. Yesterday, Jordan wrote that Randle should get the nod over Wiggins, Jabari Parker and Aaron Gordon because of the way he led his team to a state title after returning from foot surgery:

The Lions went 9-19 without him and finished 6-0 with him. Randle returned from a broken foot injury just before the state tournament and dominated over the course of five games, averaging 28.8 points, 15 rebounds and four blocks. He upped that to 32.5 points and 15.5 in the state Final Four.

Need more? You shouldn’t, but OK; Randle only played at “around 60 percent,” according to his godfather Jeff Webster.

The key word–er, letter–in MVP? V for valuable. Jordan argues that even if Huntington Prep didn’t have Wiggins, they’d still be great, but Randle led a team that was flailing without him to their second consecutive state title.

John Calipari called Randle a “true leader” with the “will to win” all of his successful players have had. Here’s a question: who will be the MVP of next year’s team? With or without Wiggins, it may end up being Randle for that very reason.

36 Comments for Jason Jordan names Julius Randle, not Andrew Wiggins, his High School MVP

1. Mc
    4:06 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

Could easily be Randle, or Wiggins. I think the PG will be the most “valuable” this next year’s team..so Andrew Harrison.

2. The Rainbow Man
    4:10 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

Peace, Love and Tranquility my man.

3. HellYeah
    4:11 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

He gets my vote. Way too much Wiggins pat-on-the-back. I don’t see it. Give me JR every time.

4. MJ4UK
    4:15 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

I will repeat a tweet I sent @kysportsradio. If Wiggins wants any shot at being number one in the draft he will come to UK. If he goes elsewhere, Julius Randle will go #1 in next year’s draft for sure, and I think he might any way. As Cal says “He has that DOG in him”

5. Sam
    4:19 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

I didn’t realize that Julius’ team suffered that badly with him out of the lineup. The numbers don’t lie. He truly was an impact player. Glad he could come back and lead his team to the championship. I think that Wiggins will also want to be part of the next national champion’s team. Don’t you?!

6. That'sNice,ButSeriously
    4:21 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

Wiggins shouldn’t be punished for having good players on his team. This is the same argument that was used for the ONE guy who voted ‘Melo as MVP this past week.

7. That'sNice,ButSeriously
    4:22 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

Also, Wiggins won’t even be a Cat, so we should really get over his hype. I’m done with him TBH.

8. Steady
    4:22 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

Whoever voted for Melo should have his head examinded.

9. Duuuuuude
    4:23 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

I am beginning to think that having Wiggins on the team could be a distraction. The way he has handled the recruiting process is like that of a prima donna. This is a team first school but he has thought nothing of anything but himself (of course, they all do). It is just that all his team mates have been tweeting, hanging out at events and building comradery for and brotherhood for months now. I would not blame them for feeling a bit resentful should Wiggins decide to grace the team with his presence. Remember how it felt somewhat disjointed having Nerlins join the team so late last summer?

10. MJ4UK
    4:26 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

9. I agree with everything except the last sentence. TGFNN. Thank God for Nerlens Noel, without him it would have truly been a pathetic year

11. Avery
    4:31 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

If we do not get Wiggins, people might think this is too bold, but I
    believe that randle would be the best player next year and maybe
    #1 in the draft.

12. nosharebuffetplease
    4:32 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

If Wiggins comes we go from real good to great…he is super and a good kid, i live in huntington and have talked with him several times..very much a team player as well as a great attitude

13. None Ya
    4:36 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

Unfortunately, I think Randle ends up being the reason that Wiggins won’t come to UK. I’m thinking he wants to desperately to be the first pick in the draft and if he’s playing side by side with Randle, then they can be compared for their ability. If he’s elsewhere then, that comparison can’t be directly made. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to have Wiggins on board, but ultimately, I don’t think he’s headed our way.

14. Cartwright
    4:40 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

13, I see what you are saying, but I believe just the opposite. I believe Randle is the reason why Wiggins comes to UK. That way they can be compared, and Wiggins would have the opportunity to outperform his closest competition. Although, I do think he will have a hard time trying to do so.

15. Mike
    4:47 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

Wiggins will be the difference between a National Championship with a couple of losses on the way and 40-0. Plain and simple!

16. ukfastcat
    5:03 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

SOOOO much speculation in this thread already.
    Everyone’s opinion is valid, but we have NO idea what Wiggy will do.
    If he is the good kid that #12 describes (I prefer to think he is…) then he will fit in very nicely with Cal’s Brother Keeping motor genuises.
    If he is as concerned with his legend and legacy as some opine, then UK is the one and only one and done place to be.
    If you want to truly establish your place in history starting in college, Kentucky is your choice, young man.

17. Stlcat
    5:12 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

No sin in taking your time in making a big decision. And as far as being a distraction, I’ll take him and roll the dice.

18. TampaCat
    5:16 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

wiggins announcement coming this Friday is what I’m hearing.

19. Ky_Tom
    5:28 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

Wiggins is holding off for a reason, and I believe that reason is..The Kid hates to go against his parents. Right now the kid is battling his most inner feeling for them and what he wants to do..Witch one will win out?..Hard to say, but the longer it goes…UK has a shot to land Mr Wiggins. Because I think He would have already come out with a Flor State call…if the Kid did not want to go some where His Parents disagreed with…

20. Mack
    5:42 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

Wasn’t Jordan the USA Today writer that covered Randle’s recruitment even when the coaches made their visits?

21. john
    5:50 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

opinions are like butts… Everyone has one and they all stink.

22. Mack
    6:02 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

I pretty much agree with Ky_Tom, he wants to please his parents but is delaying because FSU is not his first choice; who knows for certain except him. Can’t find fault with him wanting to do something for his Mom and Dad. I do hope he becomes a CAT but whatever he decides he will most likey be great.

23. what?
    6:12 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

#12
    A previous post listed the “quest mom” of Andrew Wiggins being a Louisville fan. In Huntington? Or anywhere in WV? I have never seen or heard ANYTHING positive about louisvile
    In that area.

24. BurnerTurner5
    6:28 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

It’s which not witch. And even with Wiggins they won’t go 40-0. They will slip up somewhere along the line. Hopefully not in the tournament.

25. Chaz
    6:44 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

Julius Randle = Impose your will. This season will be awesome with or without AW.

26. Doo Doo Brown
    6:44 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

23, She was Gorgui Dieng’s host mom too, that’s why she cheers for UL.

27. Mack
    6:50 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

Don’t remember reading that the “guest mom” was a uofl fan but one of the previous players that the was “guest mom” for had played at uofl and maybe he had a positive experience. Real mom wants FSU and “guest mom” wants uofl; only one thing to do if no other “moms” are available to break the stalemate, split the difference go to UK! Or just maybe Mrs. Tyler Thompson could function as the stalemate breaking “mom”; sounds fair to me.

28. CharminHasBetterWriters
    6:51 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

USA Todays Kentucky homerism is becoming more and more blatant. Randle missed 28 games, its Wiggins and its not even close. Of course they are heavily invested in Randle.

29. Rae
    6:55 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

28. At least one of them likes us.

30. Monte
    6:55 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

this number 1,2, 3, etc…etc….is opinion..not set in stone. Players move up and down the rankings based on writers mood of the day. we have an incredible class and we should recognize that. With or without Wiggy we still win a banner for number nine, the diff is with Wigg we go 40-0. our path to #9 is easier with him. If he wants to have a fun year and one that will truly be a historical one in NCAA history U.K. is the odds on favorite. he is used to being the center of attention…at UK he is one of many >> UK isn’t for everyone.

31. BBN#1
    7:08 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

28) which hints why he is the most valuable since his team was kinda terrible without him with him they won state it doesnt say the most games played wins mvp its says the player who is the most VALUABLE to his team

32. Rocky
    7:39 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

Randle is/was the best payer in high school this past season. If anyone says otherwise I would like to meet you in a man-to-man bare knuckle fight in Aurora (Marshall. Co).

33. Reality Check
    7:39 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

The real question is which player/handlers will get paid more money for their college services?

34. snarkster
    7:42 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

I said when Randle committed that he was the key piece in this class. Wiggins is great and I’d love to land him, but he’s a luxury, IMO. Randle’s size and skill set make him unique in th class.

35. Boogie
    9:17 pm May 7, 2013 Permalink

I’ve been saying this for months now. Julius Randle is more polished at his position, than Andrew Wiggins is at his position. Wiggins has all the tools to be a superstar in 2 or 3 years. He is unquestionably the best NBA prospect in the class but lacks the NBA skill-set. It takes more than putting your head on the rim to play in the NBA (Gerald Green). Julius Randle is a monster on the glass, has a variety of successful post moves and can knock down a mid range jumper all day long.

36. Mark
    2:11 am May 8, 2013 Permalink

Alot of fans from other teams think we(Kentucky)will fall on face next year. We will dominate and at least get to the final four. GO BIG BLUE!!!