Jason Alexander’s Sunday News and Views

Every once and again, a show comes along that changes the way television is produced for all eternity. Seinfeld, alongside a handful of others, is one of those shows.  Sunday will see one member of its immortal cast celebrate their 53rd birthday, that member happens to be Jason Alexander.  Born Jay Scott Greenspan on September 23rd, 1959, the Newark, New Jersey native, is commonly referred to by his professional name of Jason Alexander.  He has appeared in movies like “Shallow Hal”, “Pretty Woman”, and even the animated series “The Hunchback of Notre Dame” as a voice actor.  Also, throughout his career, he appeared on Broadway frequently when he wasn’t on the silver screen.  But, for all the work he has accomplished over his career he will forever be known as the lovable loser, George Costanza.  Alexander’s career as Costanza provided millions with laughs and supplied more quotes and memories than can possibly be counted.  From his hi-jinks with the New York Yankees to convincing the world that “it’s not a lie if you believe it,” Costanza/Alexander is a legend in the world of comedy.  So in honor of you Jason, Sunday’s News and Views are dedicated to you.  Everybody together now, “I WAS IN THE POOL!!!”

On to the News.

The big story of the day, without question, was the 38-0 drubbing handed to Kentucky courtesy of Will Muschamp’s Florida Gators.  Maxwell Smith didn’t play as he was out with a shoulder injury, forcing Morgan Newton to play.  It was clear he hadn’t improved from previous seasons as he tossed three picks on 21 attempts (14.3%).  The defense wasn’t much better as they allowed 7.5 Yards per passing attempt, 4.4 rushing yards per carry, and only forced 1 turnover on 12 Gator possessions.

-During his post game presser, on the topic of Maxwell Smith’s shoulder ailment and playing him in today’s game, Joker was quoted as saying the following.

I was not prepared to do that. My kid. I treat him like he’s my kid and I just did not want to do that. Max wanted to go and was willing to take a shot, but I was not willing to do that to him, to our our football team. I treat him like he’s one of my kids and I wouldn’t want to risk one of my kids being out for a significant amount of time. We’ll get him back next week and I didn’t want to risk that.

-Morgan Newton seems down on himself, sad really.

“I never really got in much of a rhythm, just out of sync. … I just tried to be there for my team and the situation didn’t work out very well. … It’s tough. Over my career, it seems like it’s (always) inopportune. Bad timing. Bad situations. Bad circumstances. You know, post-Randall Cobb, post-Chris Matthews, but pre-(DeMarcus) Sweat, pre-Demarco (Robinson) and all these other guys. It’s just been tough and it makes me look like a much worse player than I really am, but that’s kind of how life goes.

-Injuries from today’s game in Gainesville.  Ashely Lowery (Head), Darrian Miller (Ankle), and Kevin Mitchell (Ankle).

-In non-football news, the Harrison twins and their father very much differ on their opinions on the proper college for them. According to a source the twins favor Kentucky while their father likes Maryland.  Adam Zagoria talked to the source close to the recruitment and he was quoted as follows.

“The dad’s from there. He and (Maryland coach) Mark Turgeon have known each other a long time since Mark’s days at Texas A&M. But the boys want to go to Kentucky.”

-In case you were wondering if you could obtain tickets for Big Blue Madness now, you can’t.  The tickets sold out in a unbelievable 35 minutes.

-Kurt Helin at NBCSports.com wrote an interesting piece about former Wildcat, John Wall, and his status as a franchise changer in Washington.  John Calipari came to his defense in an interview with ESPN 980 in Washington D.C.

What’s happened is, you took a 19-year old and put the weight of the world on him, saying to him, ‘We’re expecting you to drag this team to another level.’ Well, there are no young guys [who can do that]. [Even] Anthony Davis isn’t that guy,” Calipari said.

Now, if you have a good team, Anthony and John will make you better. If you remember, I had Derrick Rose. But the way the [ping pong] balls dropped, he ended up playing on a pretty good team. So, all of a sudden, he’s an All-Star in two years, and all of a sudden he becomes the MVP of the league. But he’s on a good team. So, what’ll happen is, as [the Wizards] build that team, John will come out more.

-And finally, I leave you with Enes Kanter finishing a 5 part ally-oop with some kids at a pool in Venice Beach, California.

Article written by Jonathan Schuette

45 Comments for Jason Alexander’s Sunday News and Views

1. tdogg40330
    11:35 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

nice quote by Calipari and his former players, listen to him the man knows everything.

2. Kelly
    11:41 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

George Costanza to Joker Phillips ” Now that guy GOT CANNED”

3. Hartline
    11:53 pm September 22, 2012 Permalink

I don’t think it did Morgan Newton any favors that he was told he was playing during warm ups.

4. VinDatuk
    12:13 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

Morgan didn’t do himself any favors by going to UK.

5. UK Snuggie
    12:54 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

Well, KSR writers where were those 20 points that you all expected UK to put on the board? As much as I want UK to do well I look at these games realistically. You guys have to stop writing with your hearts and start with you heads if you want to be taken seriously. For instance, as much as I’d love to see the Cats walk in to the Yuck! Center and hand Louisville another L, I expect to see the good guys get beat this time around. See? It’s not that hard to pull your head out of the clouds and admit defeat when it is deserved.

6. We aren't BAMA
    1:10 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

My guess is about two more weeks and Joker will resign. Probably around the week end of ‘midnight” madness,so to take away the bad PR.I think we all need to ease up on the fire Joker stuff because he’s gone probable already been told because you haven’t heard Barnhart say anything public one way or the other. Joker sucks as a coach, but seems to be a CLASS man. So let’s let him keep some self respect. Hoping for Patrino but expecting Cutcliff from.Duke. KSR should due a hypothetical post on who we think the next coach will be.

7. Doc
    1:17 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

I wish it had worked out for Joker. Nothing would have been sweeter than to see one of our own lead the football program to prominence, or at least continuous respectability. But he clearly needs to go; he’s just not head coach material, apparently.

After over 30 years of rooting for the Cats, I have to wonder whether the football program will ever be competitive, or whether it will remain a relatively cheap excuse to make a weekend trip back to My Ol’ Kentucky Home and tailgate with friends and family.

8. SeaCat
    1:17 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

Mike Belotti for coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. J A Brooks
    1:18 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

Anyone who doesn’t think Joker is the worst coach to ever coach at UK…. you make me sick 🙂

Some other coaches were bad, but they were also given much worse situations. Have you ever seen a coach at UK take over a successful program, fire almost every coach from a winning staff, hire a bunch of new guys, fail miserably in several big situations (UT twice), misuse the best player to ever play at UK, and continute to force a bad QB into action?

Not to mention the pearls of wisdom he gives out at the post games… “We’ve got to be able to throw and catch…” Wow… now I get it Joker. Football makes sense to me now.

“Morgan threw it to the right guys…” Ah, well that’s all it takes to be a successful qb, know which players to throw it to. Even though 15% of Newton’s passes went to Florida players and the other 55% went to the ground…. I know what you mean.

“I think we matched WKU physically…” Phew, I was afraid that we, an SEC team, would never be able to match a Sun Belt team physically, but you’re right we did match them physically… they just happen to beat us.

Its crap like this that makes Joker the biggest joke hire of all time. The guy is thrilled when his players just know or do the simplest of football requirements. Next game it will be “All our guys managed to get into their uniforms without injury.”

SMH

10. Blue Jesus
    1:18 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

At least we aren’t Vanderbilt, a team that had high expectations that aren’t being met.

11. Blue Jesus
    1:20 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

I know Clemson lost tonight, but what about Dabo Sweeney as a potential next HC? Would he consider the job?

12. Linds4UK
    1:23 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

#6. I think if the writers talked about scoring 20 pts they were expecting Maxwell Smith to be the quarterback like the rest of us.

13. Linds4UK
    1:25 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

Sorry 6 meant 5

14. Wildcat8
    1:37 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

Newton lost us this game today plain and simple. We were actually having momentum our way there for awhile but then when newton threw the ball it was either in the ground, over their heads, or picked off. Too many missed opportunities when the receivers could have made a play if only Newton could get them the ball. There is no excuse for him being a 4 year senior to play like that. He obviously never even remotely improved his mechanics or arm. Running game and defense were actually doing well for once but damn we got Newton out there being Florida’s best player. Geez. If its not one thing it’s another. We can’t seem to find that middle ground. I hate to say it but I believe Joker will be back next year but some other coaches will get the boot but next season if we start out like this again the Joker will be let go.

15. Where do I start...
    1:51 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

@ #11….

Lets just go ahead and get some “real facts” about a replacement for the HC position at UK.

#1 – Dabo Sweeney is one year removed from an ACC title…he will not be run out of town.
    #2 – Clemson is a football school with phenomenal facilities. UK can pledge it all they want but until recruits can “see it” it won’t matter.
    #3 – Clemson plays in an easier conference with great chance of success. Sure everybody “wants the challenge” of coaching in the best conference but think about this…how many conference championships can Sweeney win at Clemson versus Kentucky in the SEC…
    #4 – Recruiting territory. South Carolina v. Kentucky. No contest. Further Florida is much closer and they are surrounded on top by North Carolina and to the west by Georgia…nail meet coffin.
    #5 – The UK fan base needs a real reality check about filling this job. Short of a special circumstance like an alum coming back, this will definitely be the last job filled in the SEC and one of the last filled nationally in the BCS conferences. No one will come here when Arkansas, potentially Tennessee, and potentially Auburn are open. Sloppy seconds or a diamond in the rough…

16. We will leave the light on...
    2:09 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

Was that a Motel 6 pool Kater was playing in?

17. Holler Baller
    3:07 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

It’s funny everyone bad-mouthing Newton now were so exicited when he was on ESPN as a high school senior. I’d love to see the Cats win but turing against hard working kids is silly.

18. lexslamman
    5:48 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

Jason Alexander was also Duckman. Duckman.

19. Shampoo
    6:38 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

Can you all read? I mean honestly, like read at all? Literacy? How could you possible feel bad for Morgan Newton at all. It’s sad that he sucks I guess, but isn’t it just as sad that everyone who can’t hack it at a college level that played in high school sucks? I mean here we have a guy who played like shit, and has always played like shit, come out and say it’s the guys he played with and not him that make him look like shit. Here is a guy who looked really good in high school because he played inferior competition and it made him look good. Like a 6’10 guy in high school basketball always looks good because the guys he plays against are 6’5. Not his fault he was over evaluated but he was. What is his fault is that he didn’t develop. Go Google his Scout profile from high school and see what it says. I’ll paraphrase a little bit, he has a big arm but no touch. He overthrows everything and doesn’t have ideal mechanics. Sound familiar? Sound like he doesn’t done jack shit in 4 years? Let’s be honest Joker sucks and Randy Sanders does to, but, Randy does know how to coach up quarterbacks Heath Schuler, Peyton Manning, Tee Martin, Andre Woodson, hell he even made Casey Clausen, Mike Hartline, and Max Smith look good to a lesser extent, but if Newton hasn’t tried to change anything about his game or worked at all to get better since he came here and that is on him. What Morgan said tonight after the game, the whoa is me bs and the feel sorry for me shit is reprehensible and shows a total disregard for his teammates and that is bullshit. Your the quarterback step and say I played terrible, I have my whole career, things didn’t go according to plan to say the others guys make him look bad is beyond appalling. So to you #17 Holler Baller I say this I used to feel sorry for Morgan Newton in the same way I did for Mark Coury, a guy who trots out there and you know he sucks and is way in over his head but the coach is such a moron he does it anyway and you can’t fault the kid. But then the kid opens his mouth and says shit like Newton did makes you realize he just your average spoiled rich kid brat like so many others that come out of places like Carmel, who mommy and daddy shoulder blame and coddled his whole life and who can’t possible see their own faults and take responsibility in any way for it.

20. Jon O
    6:57 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

@ shampoo – you’re a dickhead.

21. Impressed
    7:08 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

Wow, Shampoo, well done. A perfectly grammatically executed post with complete
    sentences and a presentation of ideas and opinions that flow in a logical manner.
    So beautiful. So rare. THANK YOU.

22. KYStout
    7:27 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

Hey Shampoo,

Please learn how to organize your rambling, incoherent bluster into paragraphs.

Everyone who takes the time to struggle through your profanity-laced tirade will be dumber for having done so. You are a disgrace to the high standards set here at KSR and an embarrassment to the entire Commonwealth.

Finally, it is my sincere wish that at some point in the near future you get a flat tire.

23. BlueCat
    7:41 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

Mitch call Bobby Petrino! NOW!

24. Head Bussa
    7:52 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

All I ask is that Mitch interview Bobby Petrino and ask him the tough questions about his personal shortcomings. If Bobby is as remorseful as he seemed on the ESPN interview, I don’t see why you can’t hire the guy. People act like he is just an awful human being and let’s be honest, we really have no clue what kind of guy he is. One thing I’ve learned in life: People aren’t as great as the media says or as bad as the media says. Let’s give Bobby a chance if he seems to have learned some lessons. Do you realize how much FUN college football COULD BE at UK if he was our coach? Our fans have been through too much the last two seasons and for much of our footbll history. We have seen football of the very lowest quality in many of our games. There is no entertainment value to UK football anymore. Sure, you give Joker long enough the boys may pull out a decent win or two at times, but they WILL NEVER have a good season with him as the coach.

25. Head Bussa
    8:03 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

Hey Shampoo,
    I totally agree with your comments about Newton. The kid is blaming his teammates he has played with over the last couple years. He has always had an excuse for everything and his attitude is clearly indicative of why he plays so terrible. He has never had a clue and, in my opinion, is the absolute worst QB I’ve ever seen play at UK (and that’s pretty bad). I can’t wait until he’s gone from UK so I never have to watch his interception-throwing sorry ass ever again. I will also be relieved to never again have to hear his ridiculous comments after games trying to explain away why he sucks so much at football.

26. Dano
    8:08 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

Joker has made a lot of $$$$$ without any results. I wonder if he will be man enough to not ask for a buyout?

27. Linds4UK
    8:23 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

Head Bussa, odd that you would have so much compassion for a grown man like Petrino but none for Morgan Newton, a kid who has been put in the situation he’s in. Petrino made his own choices. Joker put Newton in the games and by doing so did an injustice to him. I can’t believe people are being so hard on this kid. Don’t you think he wants to succeed more than even we want him to.

28. WoW!
    8:26 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

– So, from Newton’s quote it seems like he’s trying to blame last years failures on the wide receiver corp
    Ridiculous! This kid is the most overhyped, untalented player to play for the Wildcats. Its sad.
    Joker’s choice of Newton over Mossokowski might have sealed his eventual fate a couple of years ago.

– Big Blue Madness tickets would have sold out a heck of a lot faster if Ticketmaster didn’t SUCK! I tried
    for about 20 mins, gave up, and my buddy called me ten minutes later telling me to try again because he
    had just gotten three tickets. I finally got 4 myself. TICKETMASTER SUCKS!!

29. Joker has to go
    8:35 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

Joker’s record is now 12-17 at UK, and 4-13 in SEC play. He is an epic failure and must go. UK Board of Trustees, where are you? Make Barnfart fire this unsuccessful failure.

30. BlueCat
    8:38 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

Newton’s performances have not lived up to expeoctations, to say the least. However, he has been mishandled by this coaching staff horribly. I believe he would be better now if he would have started his sophmore year instead of playing it safe with a game manager like Hartline. His confidence would have grown with support from Cobb and company. Maybe that sophmore year would have been worse than our mediocre 6 and 7 but we would have benefitted last year and now. Joker also should have played a different style of offense with him, probably one more like what we did against UT last year. To criticize him over yesterday is absurd. He was thrown to the wolves, Similar, but not quite as bad, to when Curry played Couch against Florida as a freshman. The next year the new coach played an offense that suited Couch and we all know what happened after that. Not comparing Newton to Couch, that would be absurd, but just saying that a different style of offense can be a difference for a QB. But it takes a smart coach to adjust to his players.

31. Seinfeldsucked
    8:55 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

I don’t feel bad for Newton either. You should always be prepared to play. He sucked, plain and simple. You could tell by the WRs body language they were extremely frustrated. But this is what I wonder…how does a 4* QB with offers from schools like Florida end up this bad? Is it his fault or coaching? I mean we see how Woodson worked out and Hartline his senior year so idk. Either way, Newton should not play QB ever again. Him talkin about inopportune times is just a cop out. He just needs to admit he’s not a very good QB and shoulda been playin another position.

32. Duuuuuude
    9:11 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

To wish for Bobby Petrino to be your next football coach is no different than for a school like Arkansas to wish for Billy Gillispie to be their next basketball coach. I knew Arkansas was going to regret hiring the guy, and now see where they are.

Guys, keep this thing in perspective. It can always get worse. Lets hire another high character person like a Rich Brook. Don’t sell your soul because you feel desperate. No need even thinking we are going to win a national championship until the football program gets properly funded, so why think like we need a guy who can do that? Lets get funded properly and hire a guy who can bring respectability to the program first, then we can dream bigger.

33. BlueCat
    9:19 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

Duuuuude, wroooong! Petrino is nowhere near the train wreck that was Billy Clyde. We will never again be in position to get a successful, on SEC level, coach like Petrino. I believe he would behave better this time around, probably to get in a position for a bigger job ( so what ), and we would benefit from it. Who knows maybe he gets to a level like Arkansas in 3-4 years and decides to go for it at UK. We need to think big like we do in hoops. Many thought Cal was a risk and have proven to be very wrong, too.

34. uktailg8er
    9:21 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

Anybody see Beisner’s tweet about a football transfer? Wonder who he is talking about….

35. kywildcat
    9:24 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

joker better be fired by the end of the day

36. catGrad7072
    9:26 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

34: Joker, I hope.

37. tdogg40330
    9:32 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

34) I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Towles, just my guess

38. Head Bussa
    9:34 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

#27 – I wouldn’t be so hard on Newton if he seemed to have a realistic perspective on his own play. To blame your teammates or lack of good teammates is as bad as you can get when you’re an athlete on a team. Also, I recall him saying last year after a game similar to yesterdays that he didn’t really play too bad and that he graded out pretty good on film. Ha! He is just clueless about how bad he really is.

39. Blueswade
    9:37 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

#24 I agree with you.
    I spoke to a guy that travels around to a lot of the fantasy basketball camps.
    He said that he had always read and heard that Calipari was a shifty snake in the grass type of person. This guy spoke with Calipari for 5-10 minutes and he said that all the stuff he had heard previously was all just a bunch of crap….Calipari was one of the nicest most genuine people he had ever met.
    Not sure if Petrine is a ‘okay’ person or not, but we shouldn’t judge/reject him without talking to him.

40. Head Bussa
    9:45 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

I guarantee it is Towles. If I was him, though, I would wait around and tough it out until the end of the season because there is certain to be a new coach and new chance. Patrick Towles certainly does not deserve Joker Phillips and his crappy coaching.

41. Shampoo
    9:47 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

@Jon O- I may be a dick but I’m honest and I know the game of football very well.

@KYStout- Thanks for being you man. I’ll assume you have a man crush on me and show it in a kindergarten type way.

@BlueCat- I don’t know how to say this without essentially calling the people at ESPN, Rivals, and Scout racist but here it goes. Morgan Newton was only called a dual threat quarterback because he was black. He is NOT A RUNNER. He is as much of runner as Jared Lorenzen was, and I don’t mean that negatively but he is that kind of a runner. Sure he can get rumbling going down field but he doesn’t have the kind of athleticism, or lateral quickness to be successful running a spread type system. Everyone saw him try to run the ball last year on called QB sweeps and draws, he looked awful, even in games this year he came in to run the wildcat which he looked equally as awful at. Remember Ron Hudson? He brought a type of the running spread here with Lorenzen and everyone called for his head and Lorenzen looked awful. Did he have the kind of coaching he would have gotten at Florida, Clemson, or South Carolina? Probably not but he would have never sniffed getting on the field at those schools either and honestly UK was probably a better place than any of his other offers besides the aforementioned. You can not teach someone not throw it as hard as you can at someone 5 yards away. You have to work on your touch and then do it in games. Randy Sanders can say 1,000 times don’t throw it so hard, don’t do this, don’t do that, try this, but if the guy does the same thing over and over all you can do is sit him on the bench. His throws go high and low because when you throw it so hard you tend sail it like that or throw it into the ground, that’s the effect of a guy who tries to rocket every throw. His other problem then was that with such a big arm you would logically want to work the ball down the field but he was inaccurate he handcuffed the staff that way too. So your left with a guy who literally can’t do anything but hand off.

42. BlueCat
    9:51 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

41 maybe so. Then Joker, should have seen this and gotten him to transfer, switch to TE, or whatever. It still falls on the coach. The buck stops there. Joker, and staff, are inept and the house needs cleaning.

43. Shampoo
    10:17 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

@BlueCat- I couldn’t agree more. I think Joker is complete moron and I mean literally and in the football sense. I think the guy would score a 10 on the ACT and a 80 on an IQ test. I think he is just plain dumb and then to make matters worse he doesn’t know squadoosh about the game of football either. Do I think Les Miles would score 10 on the ACT probably, does he know the game of football like the back of his damn hand? Absolutely you can’t be dumb and inept it just won’t work. Ideally I’d like to have a coach like Jim Harbaugh, Bill Beliecheck, or Nick Saban. A guy is who is extremely intelligent both in the typical sense and football wise but beyond that they carry a confidence that Joker Phillips has never even thought about possessing. The only guy right off the top who has all those qualities is Petrino. Not saying there isn’t other guys because there are, Willie Taggert has that kind of gusto and he is off the Harbaugh tree just think he needs a little more time to become the fully polished beast of a coach he will be and I would love to see him do it at UK if Mitch won’t give serious consideration to Petrino. Final thought about the coaching staff and Morgan is this, I think Joker has a special spot in his heart for this kid for whatever reason, I think Randy Sanders would have named Max the starter from the jump but Joker kept giving him the give my boy a chance speech and as the assistant coach you have to do what the guy in charge tells you to.

44. Kyle
    11:31 am September 23, 2012 Permalink

Hell I got Big Blue Madness tickets at 8:30 that morning so they didn’t exactly sell out in 35 minutes it was ticketmaster having a terrible website

45. Ticketmaster
    12:40 pm September 23, 2012 Permalink

Well I was on there at 7:00 am and couldn’t get tickets after refreshing over 20 times…that’s very frustrating..