Jared Tucker is a Cat!

4JMH_dek_4_24_MAOW

Yahtzee! Sources tell Justin Rowland that three-star safety Jared Tucker committed to UK during his visit to Lexington today. Tucker had offers from Miami, Mississippi State, Louisville, Ole Miss, Florida, Ohio State, South Carolina, Tennessee and others, and is considered the 44th best safety in the nation. He hails from Stone Mountain, Georgia, and should give the Cats a boost with fellow Georgia Stanley “Boom” Williams and Nick Glass.

Here’s what Nick Roush had to say earlier about why Tucker is such a good get:

Primarily playing centerfield for defenses at the Safety position, Tucker has great cover speed that makes it difficult to throw down the middle of the field. Safeties don’t often cover WRs one-on-one, but Tucker’s speed and great vertical leap make it difficult for WRs to get open. You have to be impressed with a kid that can not only cover the middle, but can also get his hands in the passing lane of jump ball opportunities that could result in a TD. Like most Stoops recruits, he isn’t the kind of DB to sit back and let the play come to him. The aggressive tackler launches his body towards opposing players, absolutely Stonewalling (I’m pretty sure I’ve heard a coach use that phrase before) the opposing team’s running back at the 2:38 mark.

Tucker’s commitment gives Kentucky the 10th best recruiting class in the nation, ahead of Alabama. No, that is not a typo, folks.

Welcome to the fam, Jared.

26 Comments for Jared Tucker is a Cat!

1. Louisville1Cal4
    3:58 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Glad to have him….But I hope this doesn’t bother West/Edwards, would much rather take two 4*’s than a 3*.

2. Big Mike in The Wood
    3:58 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Welcome to the Kentucky class of 2014! Looks like a great get and continues the Kentucky tradition of fantastic Georgia commits. Wesley Woodyard worked out pretty well.

3. wow
    4:01 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Wow #1, you suck.

4. manlySmell
    4:07 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

One night I stayed at a 4 star hotel and went about my business. The next night I stayed at a 3 star hotel and was stunned. It was insane. Rivls hasn’t been the same since. My universe is upside down I say

5. Jessdogky
    4:08 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

BOOM!!

6. BOSOX
    4:22 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

In the safety position you need 6 to 8 or more because of injury… Edwards and West is still needed as well

7. Plainclothes Man
    4:33 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Edwards isn’t a 4*. This site keeps saying he is one but he’s definitely a 5.7 3* just like Tucker. Tucker even has better offers. I really want Edwards too but let’s not pretend that Tucker is just a guy to help us get 25 for the class.

8. Scooby
    4:36 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

SOmething to like about Tucker:

Ran a 10.8 in the 100m dash at his state finals. Pretty darn good fro a Junior in High School.

9. Baby b
    4:36 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

1 stars r not as important , teams that offer a kid should tell you how good he is! Those r some damn good schools that offered that kid. Good job mr stoops

10. Scooby
    4:38 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Prople obsess over stars too much, Even for the top dogs the majority of their recruiting classes are not 4 and 5 star guys….3 star guys do. The numbers to look at are position rankings and who they have offers from.

11. UKfanNKY
    4:38 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

WELCOME TO THE BBN MR. TUCKER GLAD TO HAVE YOU!!! GO CATS!!!

12. Boogie
    4:40 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

#1 is one of those kids that thinks high school recruiting rankings determine a players career. JJ Watt, the best defensive player in the NFL, was a 2 star recruit.

13. JLP
    4:43 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

I agree that one of the best indicators is who are offering, and he has some good ones. But it is disturbing that someone thinks there are 43 better football players at his position! The other interesting thing is that many high school recruits never really play their HS position in college. I think we are all glad to welcome a fine prospect.

14. Adam
    5:12 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

How has no one said anything about us being the #10 recruiting class?! That’s insane! I know it’s early and things can change dramatically, but holy crap. Definitely some huge momentum heading into next season. I hope it continues. Stoops was the perfect hire for UK football.

15. JLP
    5:15 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Being the number 10 class AT THIS POINT is like being first at the end of an exhibition season.

16. Right
    5:23 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

#15 correct. The elite recruiters will pull in the higher rated players later. Way too early to crow about being ahead of Bama. Kudos to Stoops for getting some good commits, but with the higher commits will come higher exposure to losing them. UK goes 4-8 or worse next season, and other schools will be picking off our recruits. Not so much with the 2 * guys we r used to, but more so with the 3/4 * kids.

17. pike 96
    5:28 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

#15..that might be true if UK had EVER been ranked in the top 10 in football recruting from day one to signing day. I think you are understating the significance of that ranking. A large amountof the football schools of note already have around 10 committments That is 40% of the way through the recruiting total. For UK to be ranked 10th at that point(with more good players on the way mind you) is nothing ever experienced at UK outside of basketball. Unprecendented times…

18. Louisville1Cal4
    5:33 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

@ 3 & 12
    Don’t get me wrong I’m happy we got him but I’d rather take my chances with two 4*s than one 3*.
    Pretty sure one of West or Edwards tweeted the other day that some schools shouldnt keep recruiting players at certain positions.
    Also, @ 12, by that logic we shouldn’t bother recruiting highly rated players & should stick with the 2* & 3*’s that Joker was after huh? Btw I’m not a kid, don’t be “that tool” who gets upset with someone just because they have a different opinion.

19. SoCal Will
    5:48 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Sounds like a kid who wants to be a Cat. Glad to have him. Many summer commitments are like Vegas weddings. Just something in hand while seeing if something better comes along.

20. LMAO
    6:09 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

J.J. Watt is not the best defensive player in the nfl. Geno Atkins is. Get with the program.

21. Boogie
    6:25 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

@12. The logic that players ranked low in high school are doomed and never can be superstars? Thats your logic kid. Just listen to what the recruiting analysts tell you. Because its clear you don’t understand the game of football. And never did I say that I would only want to pursue 2 and 3 stars like joker. I can tell you’re 16 because only children put words in somebody else’s mouth.

22. Someone Who actually Knows Football
    6:39 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Look at the offers for Christ’s sake. Dude has offers from Florida, Ohio St, Tennessee, and South Carolina, not too mention a couple of other offers from SEC and big named schools. Both West and Edwards don’t have offers of this caliber. Know why? Because Star ratings don’t matter. Talent, level of competition, and what a coaching staff see’s in a young man does. People sound idiotic on here saying don’t take him cause he’s a 3 star. I’d much rather have a 3 star with offers from elite programs like Florida and Ohio State, then a 4 star with much less attractive offers. Not saying West and Edwards don’t have some good offers. But both are from the state of Ohio and Urban Meyer hasn’t offered either kid. Yet he has offered Tucker all the way down in Georgia? Don’t you think Meyer would have locked down the kids in his own backyard if he thought they were as good or better than Tucker? Stars don’t matter. Offers do.

23. Georgia Blue
    7:53 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Didn’t we go 2-10 last year . I don’t remember playing in BCS BOWL. Stoops and Company are doing a HELLUVA JOB beating out FSU , USC , TENN. and OSU for recruits. I can’t believe we are worry about STARS instead of OFFERS. Be HAPPY about what taking place in KENTUCKY. I wished he could have came a little earlier but better now that ever. I see something SPECIAL getting ready to take place in KENTUCKY. We are now competing with the big school in recruiting which would lead to competing on the field

24. Tampa Satchel
    9:23 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Welcome aboard, son.

25. jeff
    9:33 pm May 29, 2013 Permalink

Randall Cobb was a 2 star. Ill take this 3 star any day if he is as good as they say!

26. W.W.B.B.N.D?