James Young’s got some new highlights

Enjoy James Young’s newest mixtape from his senior season and relish in the fact in a few months, all of that will be happening in Rupp Arena.

Based on tape alone, Young might be my favorite freshman, along with Julius Randle.

31 Comments for James Young’s got some new highlights

1. JPhelps
    6:08 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

A certain pepsi max commercial comes to mind. Get buckets… I get buckets…

2. Dave
    6:16 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

Poythress better learn to how to handle a basketball over the summer…….

3. Youngp
    6:19 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

Young will start unless Poythress steps up and gets better before the start of the season

4. Bec
    6:24 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

Someone said we needed an outside shooter??

5. brain
    6:32 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

Lots of potential . Work hard this summer JY and focus on going right and using the off hand because the good teams will be sitting on your left.

6. James
    6:43 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

5… Okay coach. I’ll listen to you only because of all the experience you have. If you have any other pointers just shoot me a comment on the ksr blog

7. brain
    6:47 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

6… atta boy, James, atta boy.

8. MadTex
    6:48 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

Y A W N!!!!! Golly gee – a ball hog!!!!

9. barn
    6:52 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

but can he play d?

10. coolioo
    6:58 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

He really is a taller lamb. Won’t be needed to slash as much, but his ability to shoot the three will make him dangersous on the head fakes. Next year may not be a deadly shooting team from Three but it will above average.

11. Michael F. Jox
    7:18 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

#10 – I believe he’s slightly bigger, and way more athletic than Lamb. Doron may be the only 2 guard in the league that can’t dunk right now. Have you ever seen him do it?

Can’t wait to see Mr. Young do his thing next year, and Mrs. Tyler has a thing for lefties.

12. SonsOfAnarchy
    7:44 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

8- Ball hog….seriously? Its an f’n mixtape stupid of highlight of just him. Ill bet your a Jon Hood fan too and think he should have started over John Wall.

Anyways. This kid has a nice catch and shoot and a smooth quick release. Something we really thought we would have in Wiltjer and Goodwin last year but wasnt even close

13. Wildcatsteeler
    7:47 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

Looks like some weak comp but you can see him show great poise and decision making by not over-committing on drives (ala Goodwin). When the D is there he stops and pulls up a jumper.

14. brain
    8:00 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

6-Anything to help.

15. buckets!
    8:32 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

i liked the part where he scored the basketball !

16. james young = young james
    8:33 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

he is gonna blow up the stat sheet biotches

17. 1st rounder
    9:16 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

Just pure

18. brandon
    9:39 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

i agree with 13. i will say that it seems 50% of the mixtape is him making something out of nothing, which i can’t tell whether it’s a result of his ability to make shots, or the lack of real competition on the floor (and him just making mistakes). he looks like a hs senior with a bunch of 8th graders out there, for what it’s worth. but also like 13 said, he seems to have a better basketball IQ than goodwin, and will be probably be a willing passer when he’s not the tallest dude on the court and surrounded by equally if not greater talent.

19. Boogie
    9:44 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

I’m not too sure he will be competing with Poythess for a starting spot. I think he will be competing with aaron harrison. James young is a perimeter player. It’s going to be another year of funky combos on the floor. Always interesting to see who’s on the floor together.

20. Blade
    10:07 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

Sweetest jumper i have seen at ky since goose givens

21. Scooby
    10:15 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

I am not saying Young is better than Wiggins, however I do think he is more polished offensively, Wiggins relies on his athleticism, James has a skillset

22. Youngjim
    10:15 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

19… The 3 spot is a perimeter position

23. NL
    10:59 pm June 4, 2013 Permalink

Solid tape and I’m excited, but I’m not sure he is a one and done player

24. buzzard
    2:01 am June 5, 2013 Permalink

the dude never missed a shot

25. Coach
    4:58 am June 5, 2013 Permalink

It makes me laugh when people say, “you know he can play, he is from Detroit!”. Uh, no. He is from Troy, Mi, and transferred to Rochester before his senior season without telling the coach. The competition in his high school league is pathetic but he did well on the AAU circuit as well. When I first heard UK was recruiting him I didn’t believe it. He wasn’t that good. However, He improved a lot the last season and I can’t wait to see him play for UK! When he gets with the coaches and trainers and adds some bulk he will be pretty dangerous.

26. btowncatfan
    6:52 am June 5, 2013 Permalink

What I liked was his range on the 3 pointer. Many of those shots were beyond NBA 3’s. Doesn’t have to camp out at the 3 point line. His driving will need work at the college level. But certainly has great potential. Don’t believe he will be a one and done, which is good.

27. CATS
    8:02 am June 5, 2013 Permalink

Derek Anderson 2.0, I like it!

28. AMIRITE
    8:49 am June 5, 2013 Permalink

wow, he hits all his shots!

29. fear the beard
    8:57 am June 5, 2013 Permalink

Is it just me or does anyone else see glimpses of James Harden? He can’t handle the ball as well but the shifty moves to the lane resemble the Beard himself.

30. Garmaster
    12:22 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

Judging by this video, if he has an accident and loses the use of his right hand, it won’t affect his game at all.

31. kentuckyrules
    12:25 pm June 5, 2013 Permalink

JY is the sleeper in this class. He’ll be better than we expect. Lefty with a nice jumper? I’ll take it!