James Quick wins Paul Hornung Award

This morning, the Louisville Quarterback Club named Trinity wide receiver James Quick the recipient of the Paul Hornung Award, given annually to Kentucky’s top high school football player.

With 280 receptions, Quick is the all-time leading receiver in Kentucky high school football history and is the only Kentucky high school player to play on both football and basketball state championship teams in the same season. He is also the defending state champion and record holder in the 200-meter dash. In 2012, he racked up 85 receptions for 1,413 yards and 16 touchdowns.

Kentucky recently became a serious player in Quick’s recruitment after Neal Brown paid him a visit on Tuesday. As a result, Quick announced that he will take one of his official visits to Kentucky. This weekend, Quick will visit Louisville, considered by many to be his favorite, along with Ohio State. Quick will also visit Oregon and Tennessee, and will announce his decision on television during the US Army All-American Bowl on January 5th.

If Stoops were to land Quick (a long shot, for sure), would is be one of the biggest coups in recent UK football history?

65 Comments for James Quick wins Paul Hornung Award

1. Amaze Pants
    11:32 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

#StoopsCoups

2. yesterdays
    11:40 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

I dont claim to know any of them or have a source, but I hear Trinity kids at the gym talking about how Quick is going to UL. Some wear UK gear and others wear UL gear, but they all talk like Quick to UL is already a done deal.

I like that we are trying to make inroads at Trinity, but i’d be happy if we could land Timmons.

Please do not get all excited about James Quick. Plenty of other talent to go after with the new staff. One player that has not previously expressed interest in UK is not going to make or break us.

3. Lloyd Christmas
    11:43 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

So you are telling me there’s a chance?

4. me
    11:44 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

I hope he goes to OSU and the ncaa rules him ineligible for improper benefits received while in high school.

What is the difference between trinity giving quick a free education (street value of several thousand dollars) vs someone offering a star athlete in the public school system several thousand dollars a year JUST to attend a specific school?

Wonder how many 5’5″, 100 lb black kids that don’t have an athletic bone in their body are walking around the halls of THS on a full ride scholarship?

5. BCSNC
    11:45 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

I we sign him!! we will start season #1 and be National Champs!!!!

6. Honky Kong
    11:45 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

We need him in the Brown AIR RAID attack !!

7. Han
    11:50 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

2) He’s taking the trip to UK, so there’s a chance. We should all just assume Stoops won’t be able to get any of these top kids he’s going after this year, and then if he lands any, we can rejoice.

4) Don’t blame him for going to a sports factory school. Blame the system that allows it. We’ve had several BB players who didn’t stay at the high school their parents lived near. When you’re an elite talent, you go where you can develop and get the most attention because your future career needs it.

8. Big Blue Coming at You
    11:57 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

2. Teague was a lock to UL too but he chose Kentucky in the end. We are behind on Quick but it’s not over until he picks a school. I wouldn’t put any stock into what the high school kids at the gym are saying. They’re all talking out of their a $ $.

9. Big Blue Coming at You
    11:58 am December 13, 2012 Permalink

4. You’re an idiot.

10. me
    12:00 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

#7 I’m not mad at him or his parents – my issue is with the KHSAA and THS. THS should not be eligible to compete with schools that can not offer scholarships. Especially if the ONLY scholarships you give are to “good” athletes. The system is a joke.

11. me
    12:02 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

#9 Let me guess, a THS grad? Truth hurts, huh?

12. Joe
    12:12 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

“Me” to be politcal/philosophical about it, you are being a “communist”…who cares if THS offers scholarships? Only the people not able to or not good enough to get one.

IF, you are good enough to play at a big-time school, why shouldn’t you? Much of the compalint aobut “fairness” is merely that YOUR school can’t compete or you or your offspring didn’t get the offer.

13. me
    12:24 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

#12 / Joe – I thing you should have searched harder for a word – “comunist?” Wow, that’s funny! I am all for the best in anything being recognized AND rewarded. I do NOT think THS should be able to offer a “scholarship” to a kid just because he can run fast. This isn’t college! If THS wants to skirt the rules the KHSAA should step in.

And yeah, I’m upset that my public high school can’t offer ANYTHING to these kids without getting in trouble with the KHSAA. A car, trouble. Cash, trouble. Housing, trouble. Yet over 4 years, quick will receive around $35,000 in “scholarship” from THS and not a peep from the KHSAA or the media.

14. Jefe
    12:27 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

Quick is visiting so he doesn’t get blackballed on Mr Football. It’s the only reason he had us in his top 3. It’s sad that he has to do it for that reason though.

15. Bourbon Drinker
    12:40 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

#14. Funny that he wasn’t planning a visit until Neal Brown met with him a few days ago. Got to love the conspiracy theorists.

16. bluefan
    12:40 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

I don’t think we’ll get this kid but I think it’s terrible to wish bad things for a state kid and his career. That’s the kind of crap that gives BBN a bad name. Good luck to Quick. I hope he has a long, storied career in the NFL that we can all be proud of.

17. Joe
    12:41 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

It’s “communist”-tongue-in-cheek- because it’s about ‘fairness”, meaning it’s fair for you to make a player come to your school, so YOUR SCHOOL looks better…even if it doesn’t help the player that much. “Fair” generally means, “Helps me”.

It also is sour grapes, because parochial schools offer scholarships and financial assistance to NON-ATHLETES as well. But you don’t want to know that because it makes your butt-hurt less sustainable.

18. student
    12:43 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

2. He is most likely to go to Ohio state
    4. your an ass

19. Joe
    12:47 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

This isn’t college! If THS wants to skirt the rules the KHSAA should step in.

Why is Ok in college, but not high school, btw? Because your college offers scholarships? Some don’t or can’t….so why should UoL/UK get to offer people money for school becasue they run fast? Please explain it for me.

The REAL difference is your college offers ahtletic scholarships and so it’s “ok”, because philosophically what’s the difference between a public high school/college and private high school/college?

20. meh
    12:49 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

“would is be one of the biggest coups in recent UK football history?”

Is this a trick question?

21. St. Paul Raiders
    12:50 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

16- Agreed, it’s terrible to wish bad things upon ANY high school kid. People need to take a step back and look at all this in broader terms.

22. Bledsoe's Biceps
    12:51 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

19) I see what you tried to do, but your analogy is incorrect. Yes some colleges are not allowed to offer athletic scholarships, but they do not compete in the same division as those that do. Trinity does.

23. Joe
    12:52 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

And “4” could THS offer an academic scholarship-which I’m pretty sure they do-but, still your local high can’t, is this OK? If so why? You can’t pay people to come to Funderburke HS to study Mathematics, but you could for THS. Again, should this be allowed? If I can afford to send, or get help in sending my gifted offspring, to THS, for any reason-athletics or academics- and this attendance will further my offspring’s future, again either athletically or academically, why should you be able to stop it? Again, “fair” means my offspring suffer, whilst you don’t….

24. Talent Scout
    12:53 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

Yay football during basketball again.

25. Joe
    12:56 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

Again, so? If attendance at THS furthers my offspring’s future, what concern is it of yours? Or rather, if it helps my child(ren) why should you have the power to say, “No.”? Again, “fair” seems to be about making sure that players like Quick play at Hardin Co. or some other school rather than Trinity, which is good for those schools, but not so good for Quick. That’s the point here, other schools wanted him but couldn’t get him, so rather than change their rules, people want to punish Quick or Trinity.

26. Bledsoe's Biceps
    12:59 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

25) You’ve typed/talked so much you’ve lost sight of the original topic and twisted it into what you want it to be.

27. ok ok
    1:00 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

“catholic” private schools should have been separated from khsaa years ago. they do have an unfair advantage when it come to playing against public schools. can not even be debated, simple fact.

28. Not Nerlens
    1:00 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

Yes, landing Quick would be one of the biggest surprises in the history of UK football recruiting. Thats not to say that UK wouldn’t be an excellent choise for him:

a.)He could play as a freshmen.
    b.)He could play in the SEC.
    c.)He could be a key piece in an exciting pass happy offense.
    d.)He could still be close to home, but have the opportunity to get away for college.

That said, I am 99% sure it won’t happen. I’m not saying that Stoops, Brown, and Hinshaw won’t do an incredible job recruiting him, but two main things get in the way:

1.) He grew up a UL fan. Getting a Louisville kid out of UL who grew up a UL fan to come to UK is not easy, especially when the perception is there that UL will keep Charlie Strong and the new conference. However, I don’t think Charlie will be at UL long term. He may even bolt after next season with Teddy Bridgewater.

2.) Urban Meyer. Forget OSU being a good school or even having any history. Urban Meyer is one of the Top 5 coaches in the country and he will probably have OSU playing for a National Championship in the next 5 years. If Quick goes to OSU, he will win a Big Ten Championship while he is there, probably play for a title, and he will have access to the best of the best. The only things UK can offer over OSU is playing time and the SEC, but if those things are important to him and he can also find it in him to not read into the UL hype-machine than we have a shot.

29. Not Nerlens
    1:00 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

28 – choice

30. ok ok
    1:01 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

those private schools should compete against each other.

31. Lloyd Christmas
    1:06 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

So you’re saying there’s a chance…

32. ukfan
    1:07 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

1-30 Who cares where he goes to school, he won’t get into anywhere except a JUCO, and that’s if he is lucky.

33. STOOOOPS
    1:09 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

me – jealousy is a hell of a drug. Don’t be mad because whatever team you played for or your kid plays for gets waxed by THS every year. They have been the best for quite some time now and will most likely continue that way.

34. Keep Rock
    1:14 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

How can anyone wish failure on a high school kid? I still check Lamar Dawson’s stats and he is doing great at USC. He is the only bright spot on that defence. He made the correct choice going there he could end up being a first round choice as well as a 4 year starter. He was the first freshmen to start at MLB for USC in many years.
    Stoops has done good to even get this kid to visit. No way we get him but at least he is going to look. You have to think if this staff has caught his interest enuff to come visit in this short amount of time he might have landed him if we would have made this change last year. Anyway I hope the kid is the next Jerry Rice it can’t do anything but help Kentucky Football. Which I turn will help UK football.

35. unlevel playing field
    1:15 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

that says it all

36. St. Paul Raiders
    1:17 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

28- The most important thing you mentioned was “if those things are important to him.” I think people lose sight of the fact that these kids aren’t blank canvases. Each one has different priorities and place varying degrees of value on the different aspects related to choosing a college/athletic program.

37. Joe
    1:21 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

those private schools should compete against each other

Ok, say they did…you STILL don’t get Quick…THS will STILL be sending more folkz to D-I Athletics and then onto the NFL than any other school…so players like Quick will STILL gravitate to THS…

Your plan just means you don’t get embarassed by him, that’s all.

That having been said, I don’t think UK stands a chance, but it’s nice to see the staff make the effort. I’m prejudiced, but if he didn’t go to The OSU, he’d be better at UK….UK is on an upward trajectory (We couldn’t get too much lower) and it is a better conference than the ACC. So in a choice between UoL and UK; I think UK would be the better choice.

38. 4isanidiot
    1:22 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

4 – You’re an idiot. I go to Trinity and I can assure you that there is no such thing as scholarship besides the various academic scholarships available (i.e. Stienahuser Scholar). There are no sports related scholarships chief. Believe it or not, though it may be a hard concept for that tiny little closed mind of yours to grasp, just like all private schools in the state of Kentucky, FINANCIAL AID is available to all those in need. Let that sink in for a little you stereotypical prick. You have no idea what James’ parents pay and don’t pay for. Unless you go to Trinity and are friends with him, don’t go running that big mouth of yours.

39. YEA!
    1:39 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

It is not THS fault that the students that get a “scholarship” are also the big time football players!!

40. Forbes
    1:43 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

Maybe this is why Dirty Bird fans are so angry…Louisville is listed as the 16th dirtiest city in USA

41. jc
    1:45 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

My private high school won multiple state titles when I attended. One of our running backs was black and people just assumed he got in due to athletics. He did go on to play college ball…at Harvard. I hear you have to be fairly smart to get in that school. Please don’t be so quick to judge.

42. Trinity Grad '08
    1:54 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

#4) You are a f***ing idiot! Before you get on your soap box about how Catholic schools cheat by giving free tuition just for football get your damn facts straight. I played football and ran track at Trinity, and during my time there we won 2 State Championships in Track and 3 State Championships in Football. Did it ever occur to you that kids want to go to Trinity to play ball because they have the best chance at success there? Kids want to win, and every kid playing high school sports dreams about playing big time college sports. Trinity is just like UK is in basketball, Trinity gives players the best shot to make it to the next level. So before you start ragging on a 17 year old why don’t you put away the jealousy and actually respect the greatest high school football program this state has ever seen.

43. The Wildcats Nutt Sack
    1:56 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

Man I Really DESPISE all You Louisville Trolls!

44. Jefe
    2:05 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

32- Is a UL fan troll posing as a UK fan.

45. bluristhurr
    2:22 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

#38 Ok but I’ll guarantee not knowing for sure it’s going to be a lot easier for him to get financial help then it would of been for me because he can play some ball. If it wasn’t for football he wouldn’t of been accepted if he couldn’t pay. It’s a safe bet I’d take anybody up on.

46. Jonah Hex
    2:23 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

As a former Trinity coach, I wish(ed) two things. 1) That we could give out scholarships. Most of the time when I coached, X had a lot more talent than we did. Yet we continued to win state title after state title. I saw a lot of great athletes that couldn’t come to Trinity, even though they wanted to, because they couldn’t afford it. 2) if you kicked us out to only play private schools, then the gloves come off and we will offer scholarships. Then the public schools will get less talent than they do (in louisville) and your sports will be even worse.

Keep in mind that there is open enrollment in all of Louisville, even for public schools. Also, if he went to a JCPS school, he would be on scholarship,,,its called tax payers.

47. Jonah Hex
    2:25 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

Also, Trinity doesn’t turn anyone away, regardless of their scholarship capacity. This differs from X, but no one gets turned away from Trinity because of a test score.

Last thing- Trinity doesn’t decide who gets financial help and how much. It is sent off to an independent third party who reads the application, then they decide how much the student gets. Not Trinity.

48. Yall Funny
    2:37 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

Sorry Trinity folks, but I’ve been to enough Trinity games through the years to know that Quick’s parents along with several other “scholarship” player’s parents ARE NOT paying the tuition (by themselves) to Trinity High School. Look, that’s fine. It really is. But let’s not act like its not going on and that Trinity should be considered an equal to any public school throughout the state. Apples and oranges! Start letting Male, PRP, or hell even Atherton start giving cash – equal to tuition at Trinity – and you will NEVER see another state championship at Trinity in football or basketball again.

49. Independent 3rd Party
    2:43 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

#47 – You sir, are clueless. You really think James Quick’s “application” wasn’t flagged? Someone would have some serious explaining to do if Quick didn’t get in but that scrawny little white got a scholarship. You, and I, know Lampley well enough to know better.

50. Joe
    2:50 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

#47 — You sir, are clueless. You really think James Quick’s “application” wasn’t flagged?

So basically you got the “evidence” that proves Pratt hired Calipari, which is to say NONE.

You are asserting something….so let me assert it’s negative. No, it was NOT flagged.

Now, if you’d care to produce some evidence; I might well change my opinion. Until then assert away.

51. THS Alumni
    3:18 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

I don’t know why all of you pro-Trinity people are acting like Quick and others are not on scholarship. Call it whatever you want, they are not paying the tuition that 95% of the other students are paying. And if you think Quick or anyone else on scholarship are at Trinity for anything other than sports, you are mistaken.

50 – What the hell does Coach Cal and Mike Pratt have to do with this conversation? Just own it that THS and X and all other Catholic High Schools are allowing kids to attend for free – on the back of their athletic prowess. If you think Quick had torn his ACL his freshman year (and never recovered) and still graduated from THS, you are also mistaken.

52. Joe
    3:23 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

THS alumni, my parochial school gives the guarantee that should be accepted, you will NEVER be dismissed, for any other than academics or discipline.

As an alumnus of THS I’m sure you can provide us witht he details of ‘athletic scholarships” as opposed to scholarships and aid…for non-athletes.

As to Cal and Pratt, ever so many fokz “tell” us here that Pratt was the impetus to the hiring of Calipari…do they ahve any evidence, NO…just thta “everyone knows”…ditto this assertion concerning Quick…any evidence, No, but eveyone knows…..and both statements are equally invalid and unprovable.

53. trinity sminity
    3:41 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

im not ragging on any “player” going to school there. just the system of an unfair advantage on the playing field. public should play public, private-private.

54. Joe
    3:52 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

UNFAIR, as in many, if not most students families pay taxes to go to PRP or Funderburke HS, but then have to pay EXTRA to send their children to THS or a Christian Academy. So those parents are already providing a ‘scholarship” in the form of taxes for a child to go to the public System….fair, h’mmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

FAIR, as in it’s good for my child to go to THS, for many reasons, but because s/he’d make a contribution to your HS you’d prevent them from going? Again “fair”= good for PRP or East Jessamine HS, not necessarily the student athlete in question.

And I note it’s only Mr Quick, I don’t see any posting about how it’s “unfair” for THS or a Christian Academy or Max’s Madrassa of Muslim Studies and Mathematics to pull a student to them, in something other than sports! Surely, if Mr Quick ruins your chances for a State Championship you also must complain that the Debate/Chess/Academic Bowl Clubs suffer unfairly as well?

55. you misunder stand
    4:10 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

any kid with the opp to go to trinity should go, its great for the student. but how can you argue that its a level playing field for trinity to “compete” against a public county school out side of jefferson? it just is not, and can not be. to be able to “bring” players for the athletics at trinty is great for the “program” that is trinity football, they have great tadition and all that, no question. but to win championships over programs that don’t have that same advantage, well lets just say when a county school wins a championship over one of the catholic/private schools, now that is something to really take pride in!

56. Joe
    4:24 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

.55 at least you’re honest. You freely admit THS or any other parochial school may benefit the athlete(s) in question, so the fairness isn’t at the player level, but only at the fan/school level….YOUR HS doesn’t get Quick so it’s “not fair.”

What do you propose…each team in a co. be limited to a certain number of “good” players? Or if a an athlete is Catholic, or wants a Cahtolic education, s/he promise to NOT play for the parochial school?

57. Oops
    4:28 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

54 / Joe – Are you James Quick, or Quick’s dad, or Dennis Lampley. You can fight this all you want, but everyone knows Trinity gives kids a free ride. And we all know that the number of kids receiving tuition that aren’t athletes is MAYBE 2 (maybe).

And your tax arguement is poor. Everyone pays taxes. And a portion of those taxes go to (public) education. I’m sure there all kinds of things our taxes go to that we don’t approve of. Let a public school in Jefferson County start giving out cash (equal to the value of a Trinity education) and you would never see the likes of James Quick again. And if said public high school could bankroll a team like Trinity has, Trinity will never win a state championship again.

58. JCPS
    4:49 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

Joe / Why doesn’t St. X have the number of African American athletes that Trinity has? And why does Trinity offer more ‘scholarship’ money than St. X? All ‘catholic’ schools are not created equal. Trinity has put an absolue emphasis on football and basketball and will spend any amount of money to get the best players – no matter if it uses sportsmanship or not. If you are a UK fan, you know that UCLA under Wooden payed players. That did not make for a level playing field for other schools, even top notch schools like UK. Why would any African American kid in Louisville (or even Shelby Co / Hicks) go to a public school when Trinity comes calling? Offering a free education to Trinity vs a public school education is not fair.

59. Keep Coach Rock
    4:51 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

Sounds to me like a lot of jealous people out there. I live in the mountains and really could careless about trinity and St. X. If you don’t think every school across the whole state recruits your crazy. I’m sure it’s more rampid in Lousville but only because of the population. So it may show up more in football in Lousville. However the rest of the state recruits bb players. Hell Perry county had one of top players from the state of New York last year. I guess his family just decided to move to the mountains and basketball had nothing to do with it. Grow up people everybody is cheating in one way or anther.

60. lets move on
    5:01 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

move on people, nothing to see here

61. Larry
    6:03 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

I believe my paycheck biweekly shows me how much it cost “me” to send a student to JCPS…it’s called taxes people. I remember reading an article in the courier journal years ago in which they compared the cost of sending a child through the public school system versus the catholic system in Louisville. They found that it actually cost more for the public school student…add that along with that parents that send their children to these schools still have to pay this tax, then you have a much bigger discrepancy. Just a little information to enlighten everyone.

62. Joe
    6:15 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

So you just freely admit that Trinity offers a better product, for FREE, than the JCPS, and that it makes perfect sense to go to THS. BUT, that it’s not fair?

Please review your logic and get back to me.

As an example…I could:
    1) BE given a Ford Fiesta; or
    2) Be given a BMW #series.

But if I choose the 3Series, It’s not “fair?” Fair to whom?

My God, you are a whiner…OH WAIT, this was sarcasm, right? I apologize I didn’t realize you were just trolling for comedic relief, my bad.

63. wildcatman
    6:22 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

Sell him on playing basketball and football he has skills in both

64. Catssss
    6:36 pm December 13, 2012 Permalink

Everyone blasting Trinity for offering financial aid is ignorant. St. X does the same thing but because Trinity is more successful they are the only ones being mentioned. What about all the schools top basketball player switch to around the country (Oak Hill, Findley Prep, ect). Those school offer housing along with free education and still compete in leagues with public schools. Why shouldn’t a kid take the help to go to a better school that will better prepare him for college (Education wise and athletically). Schools like Trinity and St. X help these kids stay out of trouble and focused on their education and athletic goals by keeping them out of bad situations. The majority of those athletes are on campus from 7 a.m. to 8 or 9 p.m.

Also, Trinity when it won its first three peat under Beatty, was less talented then Male (a Public School). Trinity was less talented than Male in 2006 when it beat them at Male in the Playoffs. Trinity lost to Dixie Heights (a public school) in 2005. The main reason Trinity is so successful is not just the players but more so the coaching staff. St. X has the same advantages and we are continuously are more successful than them. Stop blaming it all on recruiting and wake up and realize that coaching is the main reason they are so good.

65. TrinityDad
    6:56 am December 14, 2012 Permalink

Quick is a HARD CORE UL fan. I doubt we have ANY chance of signing him at UK. My son attends class with him daily.