Jamal Mashburn knows what’s up

All-time great Jamal Mashburn has seen some basketball in his time. So when he speaks, you listen. Mashburn was in Nashville Friday night at the SEC Tournament to accept the Kentucky legends award at halfcourt in Bridgestone Arena.

Since leaving the game as an SEC Player of the Year, a first team All-American, a 1993 Final Four, an NBA All-Star, and finishing his professional career with more than 11,000 points, Mashburn has gone on to become a successful business man.

He own 40 Papa John’s, 39 Outback Steakhouses, two car dealerships, and is part owner of the horse racing stable with Rick Pitino. He believes when the NCAA Tournament selection committee is looking for teams and the decision is tight, money talks.

The one thing I’ve always said since I played professional basketball is I understand the business of basketball … If there’s a toss-up between another mid-major and the University of Kentucky you have to take into account what they’ve done on the floor, but as you can see, with the SEC Tournament, UK fans travel, so I think that’s going to be in consideration. It’s not like they deserve any extra treatment than any other program but I do think the committee is going to look at the business side of it. [Source]

I like the way you think, Mash.

Article written by Stuart Hammer

B.S. Broadcast Journalism from the University of Kentucky. @StuartHammerKSR

51 Comments for Jamal Mashburn knows what’s up

1. SexnNursinHomes
    6:20 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Took the NIT brackets down. That sucks. I was was hoping to see where we’d go. I’m willing to pay $10K for lower arena NIT.

2. SteveMStephemc
    6:23 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Does anyone really and truly believe this team deserves to go to the NCAA?

3. BBN
    6:28 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

There are a lot of people (ex. NCAA leadership, national media, rival fanbases and coaches) that want to see UK left out of the NCAA Tourney field. To make matters worse, the UK team is now sitting with its nose wide open for the tournament committee. Make no mistake about it, we are headed to the NIT. My only question is, why is Lunardi projecting Missouri and Cincinnati as locks to make the tournament field? That makes no sense.

4. 9in2014
    6:28 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Yuck, Lunardi has tards as overall number one seed if they win tonight. Going into the season, who would have thought it would have played out this way.

5. Shut up
    6:28 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I love Jamal, but Kentucky doesn’t deserve to be in the NCAA. We lost to Vandy, Arkansas and Georgia in the last week by double digits. What exactly makes you think Kentucky wont lose by 20 in the play-in game?

6. Lil c
    6:29 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I don’t care if (we) UK fans travel better than anyone in the country. This team doesn’t deserve an NCAA bid, and that’s the bottom line.

7. ThinksSexnNursIsCRAZY
    6:29 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

$10K for NIT tickets… you’re insane. If you can throw away that kind of money send it my way, I got some bills to pay!

8. MrTsNecklaces
    6:32 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I pity the foo’s that think this Kentucky team deserves to be in the NCAA tournament.

9. ChokeCal
    6:35 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Keep hope alive!! The Cats suck and don’t deserve the bid. Period. If they make it in its all about the NCAA trying to pull strings for the BBN traveling fan base. On merit alone they shouldn’t get in. Cal sucks as a coach and his body of work this year is proof. No way in the world with all the talent he had this year should he be in this position. Great recruiter, but horrible coach! BBN should just chill out book your trip to the NIT and call it a day! THere will be no dancing this year for kitties! lol I’m lovin it!!!

10. Fancoulo
    6:37 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Has Cal gone into hiding? I hope he addresses the media and answers questions after they are left out.

11. ChokeCal
    6:40 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

on a side note, does anybody know how to horse seemen out of flannel? I was having fun on a Friday night at the farm as usual and just couldn’t take it all. HOLLA!

12. John Burke
    6:44 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

We coulda used Big ole Mash on the floor yesterday!

13. Day
    6:46 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

You dont get in because your fans travel well…

You get in because you leave it all on the floor and play with heart, effort, and dedication.

14. Beavis's Barumba
    6:46 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

The NCAA may be surprised how few of the BBN show up this year after what we’ve seen from this team, knowing that whomever we play we will likely lose the first night, no matter who we play. I know first hand Nashvegas was packed with blue and Nashville hated to see us get beat. I bet Nashville is a ghost town tonight.

15. ELC
    6:46 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Eleven Loss Cal.

16. Will
    6:46 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

The NCAA owns the NIT which if anything, encourages them to send us to that tournament if our resume doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. It’ll drive ratings and ticket sales for their “lower tournament”.

Thus this post and Jamal’s comment are moot/invalid/null.

17. Fancoulo
    6:47 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I demand these answers because I hate UK and Cal!

18. Cats in the NBA
    6:50 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

We are out of the NCAA Tournament. The question is who will join us first, Crean or Pitino?

19. Reality Check
    6:50 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I recently started a new job, unfortunately in Louisville. According to the UofL fans I work with, they think they’ve already won the NCAA tournament this year and at the same time they can’t remember who won last year. Typical UofL fans.

20. I hate y'all
    6:52 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

All this s*** talking makes me sick. How soon we forget! Elite 8, final four, and NC and now Cal can’t coach? All the challenges this team has had, and now the fans are turning on them too. we have been spoiled point blank. if we get a bid ill be there, no matter how they have played ill support them. To hell with you fair weather fans. Support someone else. If you can’t support them now through the struggle don’t support next year when we hang #9!!!

21. Brent
    6:56 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

UofL is the most ignorant fan base ive ever seen!!! They talk sports out their ass!!!

22. SexnNursinHomes
    6:57 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

7- haha you think I got $10K? Buddy, I got $3.52 in my checking account and I don’t get paid for another 2 weeks. I was gonna whore myself out for NIT tickets. Figured $10 gees would get me lowers…

23. Dave
    7:02 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

If this team were to play in my backyard i would close the blinds…. We suck and have no heart

24. Will
    7:09 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

@20

The fans didn’t give up on the team until yesterday. We supported them heavily in Rupp and they rewarded us by coming out and rolling over to a terrible Vandy team. If anything certain members of the team gave up on BBN.

25. Rae
    7:11 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

9. Josh Harrellson and DeAndre Liggins disagree that Cal sucks as a coach. He had less talents than his first year and made the Final Four. What about that as proof? But no, every other coach but Cal is allowed a down year. One year does not break a program or count as proof of a coach’s ability. Discount 2010 and 2012 if you want, but 2011 was not brimming with talent. A former walk-on was our center, and while all would eventually be in the NBA, it wasn’t an overwhelming talent level.

What about Roy Williams? Does he suck? He went to the NIT 3 years ago. With All-Americans.

26. Rae
    7:15 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

20. The fans in Nashville tried to will the team into a comeback yesterday. They didn’t respond. They rolled over. They didn’t play like a team who had faced challenges but was still fighting. They played like they didn’t want to be there. Hard to support a team that doesn’t want to play. If it was a competitive loss I would feel differently.

27. nottheslickestrick
    7:21 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

22) always stirring pot SexnNursinHomes
    good job!

28. Al's IndiCats
    7:24 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Dammit Sexn, I was gonna tell ya to forget the N.I.T. and we’d go to vegas, but there again I’d have to drag my one legged wife with us…..literally!

29. ChokeCal
    7:28 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Is there any difference beween Horse and Elephant Juice other than volume? I want to sent it to my coach’s locked up girlfriend after I spit it out!

30. drdrich
    7:31 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Just Win Baby!

31. IU shirt factory
    7:33 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I’m kinda confused…..Do we make a shirt for this loss?

32. BillyRay
    7:36 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I got another mortgage on my single wide and sold 7 of my dogs to buy tickets to the SEC tourney. All I got left is a rusted out Z-28 and a worm farm. Cal should pay my next six rent payments.

33. Cats in the NBA
    7:46 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

32.) Huh? That is too long to be a joke.

34. mudcreekmark
    7:54 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Kansas may just win it all again. Bill Self is a heck of a coach.

35. BillyRay
    7:55 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I am a Moron begging for attention. I am an underachiever in life, but I can downgrade others on this board…

36. jmfatz47
    8:04 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

2) yes I do believe we should be in the NCAA tourney. Not by UK standards but we deserve to be in over LaSalle. How does LaSalle lose yesterday and not budge? And we lose and we go from being in to being first four out. And then next four out? Doesn’t make sense. At all. Not saying we are great, but we are top 68

37. Mr. T
    8:17 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I pity these fools, maybe we can take up a collection and pay one of those NBA fellers to come back to Kentucky and play for us again.

38. Mr. T
    8:19 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I pity all you fools, but not the chick in the Kentucky calendar ad, she can clean my chains any day!

39. SexnNursinHomes
    8:26 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

27 & 28- man, I think we get in.

40. N. O'Stradamus
    9:00 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Monster Mash “owns 40 Papa John’s, 39 Outback Steakhouses, two car dealerships, and is part owner of the horse racing stable with Rick Pitino.”

Wow!

What is incredible about that is threefold:

1) Rick Pitino
    2) a kid’s belief
    3) What they achieved in the program’s resurrection

Unreal, really.

41. Honest Fan
    9:03 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Even if UK gets a tournament bid I don’t think they will have a large crowd following them, especially after last nights awful performance.

42. O' Curious George
    9:13 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Pat Forde is and was correct: KENTUCKY’s measurement must be based upon their wins and losses since Noel’s departure.

To argue against that, ad infinitum, is wasteful.

43. mashburnfan1
    9:14 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

5} He never said they deserve to get in the tourney so you shut up. Great to see Jamal doing so well but it is not a surprise. Class guy and great player.

44. hendoblue
    9:22 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

We are not playing good basketball right now. We are not any better than we were in November (maybe worse). That being said, we will bring the fans (probably not as many as usual) and they would probably love to humiliate us by giving us the absolute toughest first round game they could, and if we were to survive that, a second round match-up against a one or two seed for further humiliation.

45. blitzedanddazed
    9:36 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Mash needs to shut the hell up.

46. Paducahfan
    9:36 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Too bad this year’s team doesn’t travel as well as their fans.

47. Jrfan8828
    10:12 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

Hey #5! Did u not read what Jamal said?!?! He didn’t say they deserves to be in the NCAA tournament! He just said the committee will take into consideration the money they’ll bring to the NCAA! As for myself, I think they should be in.

48. ukcat1
    10:49 pm March 16, 2013 Permalink

I doubt that few of us follow the other bubble teams enough to know where the CATS should actually stand. I am not sure whether not getting in or having to play in the “play in game” is worse.

49. Katbluefan
    8:11 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

I know a true KY fan wouldn’t be making some of the statements on here about Cal and this team that I have read. True this team hasn’t played very good at times but some of the comments are uncalled for. A true fan wouldn’t make those statement. A young recruit reads some of these comments and thinks, If I have a bad game then the KY fans are going to really hate me, don’t want to go there. In four yrs Cal has a Nat.Champ & a Final Four. What did Tubby do in his time here, “10 Loss Tubby”, we want talk about that other guy. QUIT complaining and enjoy the ride.

50. Ibescootch
    10:24 am March 17, 2013 Permalink

Oh shut up, everybody. Just support your team- be happy for them if they make it, and cheer for them in the NIT, if that’s where they end up. I’d rather win the NIT, and pick up some more wins and experience, than not go at all of of principle.

51. Zo
    5:34 pm March 17, 2013 Permalink

I’m just as mad as anyone.I can read the fustrations here too.This season hurt.It honestly flat out sucked.They clearly had no chemistry,no swagger,confidence etc.We had a bad year,so what.It’s ok people.People should not act like a fool about this situation.We pick up the pieces and move on.Cal’s a really good coach.Haters can eat one.Bandwagon fans can eat one too.It destroyed everything in me to watch this season unfold.But im a fan for life win or lose.Which side are some yall on anyways.Please stop all this negative hate for our loved CATS.People are make us look bad to the media and recruits.Gees people,better luck next year folks.GO CATS!