This is the fourth year in a row that I have rung in Christmas Eve with the “Do They Know its Christmas” video. And why do I do that? Because it is only the greatest Christmas song/video ever. I genuinely like the song/message and the entire event did a lot of good at the time. But in addition to that part of the story, it is also utterly absurd. I often attempt to figure out what I like best about the video and I am torn between:
(1) the great sight of 80s British pop stars and their awful hair/teeth
(2) A video in which Boy George is given solo billing, but Sting and Bono have to share a microphone
(3) Random jeri curls on British black singers
(4) The guy standing behind the singers who they wont let up on the stand
(5) Phil Collins
(6) Bono screaming out the most bizarre line in all of music “Tonight thank God its them, instead of YOU!”
All of it creates a top 10 video of all time to me and one that is a good part of the Christmas season. Add to it the thought of a couple of KSR folks and I at the Music City Bowl two years ago changing “FEED THE WOOOORLD” to “FEED SHA-GAR-I, Let Him Know its Christmas time and….” and it continues to be a favorite. Enjoy on this Christmas Eve, Eve.