It’s official: No Wiggins or Randle at Big Blue Madness

“He scored 54 and he coulda gone for more…”–Oh wait, wrong guy.

Today, Evan Daniels confirmed the rumors we’ve been hearing for a few days: Andrew Wiggins won’t attend Midnight Madness. Wiggins will take advantage of a three-day weekend and return to Canada to visit his family, which may be his last chance to do so before his season is over.

However, the news isn’t all bad. Wiggins says he plans to visit Lexington for a game early this season, so don’t stop practicing those chants just yet.

Also missing out on Friday’s festivities: Julius Randle, whose mother told the Herald-Leader on Tuesday that he will stay in Texas to attend his school’s homecoming dance instead. (Hey, you don’t get those memories back.) Randle visited Lexington back in September for the Alumni Game.

Don’t despair, there are still plenty of recruits to fawn over. Here’s the VIP guest list (so far):

2013
Andrew Harrison (committed)
Aaron Harrison (committed)
Derek Willis (committed)
Marcus Lee

2014
Cliff Alexander
JaQuan Lyle

Let’s give them a good show.

44 Comments for It’s official: No Wiggins or Randle at Big Blue Madness

1. Bob Sugar
    3:06 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

It’s time we revoke Willis’ scholarship offer. This kid is probably a fine person, but it’s clear he is not on the level of customary Calipari recruits. He would always be welcome as a walk on, however.

2. bigbluejon
    3:16 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Having Derrick Willis on the team is an insult to all of BBN. He won’t play a single minute in 4 years. Wasted recruit. Bum of a player.

3. Pu
    3:17 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

1) Have you seen Willis play? Not being a smart ass, I’m really asking because I have not seen him play. UK only plays 7 guys/game, anyway… Why not keep a big body that has some talent around for 3 or 4 years (especially one from Kentucky) that can be a good leader at some point? He was a highly touted recruit when we signed him. Do you really think he’s regressed that much, or do you think maybe he doesn’t get much recognition because he isn’t playing AAU ball? Of course playing against the best players day in and day out in AAU could only help…

4. James Young
    3:17 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Am I not gonna be there?

5. Brandon
    3:20 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

EVERYBODY PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Brandon
    3:20 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

EVERYBODY PANIC!!! lol

7. Pu
    3:21 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Wow. From what I’ve heard, he’s nowhere near as bad as Hood or Jared Carter, or Brandon Stockton, or Mark Coury… I hope (and being UK fans, I’m sure you do, too) that he turns out to be another Scott Padgett or Jorts.

8. Bob Sugar
    3:25 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

2. Yes I have seen him play. And at this point, he would be a great walk on who could eventually earn a scholarship. But, he is only that and not quite ready for prime time so to speak. I agree that having him around couldn’t hurt as a long term investment. But, I reiterate he is not on the level of the recruits we’re used to seeing Cal bring in as scholarship players.

9. DC4UK
    3:26 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

1 and 2 need to realize we have plenty of scholarships. Having Willis on the team is a good thing. No he wont plsy much even his Jr and Senior year but if he wants to be here and Cal wants him to be here then Im all for it. How many players does Cal typical play? Like 7 or 8 tops. Willis being at Ky will only help him so shut up and support the team fully. Far as Wiggins and Randle not coming I dont see it as a big deal because Im confident they will be playing for UK.

10. Bob Sugar
    3:26 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

3.^^

11. Bobbum man
    3:29 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

I’m sure Cals aware he’s not the next #1 pick, I find it amazing people still question Cals recruiting after all his success here. We never use all our scholarships anyways so doesn’t really hurt us IMO better a top 50 (before his plummet for not playing aau ball) guy have it that’ll stick around for a few years rather than givin it to Malone or another walk on just cause we got extra (no offense to the walk ons)

12. Bob Sugar
    3:37 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Respectfully, Willis is not a top 50 guy even with AAU. He may have been at one time but he is not anymore. Players have surpassed him, and from what I’ve seen, a vast majority of casual observers would feel similarly.

13. TN Cat
    3:39 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

You all do realize that we need 3 and 4 year guys too, right? It’s either that or we get to a point where we have one and dones and JUCO players for 1-2 years. Anyway, isn’t he still a top 100 player or right on the cusp of being one?

14. derek willis
    3:40 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Why are y’all so upset that im on the team? Im a good ole Kentucky boy!!! There will always be a kid from the state who will be on a UK roster!!! Know your history!!!!

15. Bobbum man
    3:46 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Yea a lot of players surpassed him because he plays for a crap team plus he had already committed as others have said he didn’t have anything left to prove. If you’ll really think cal is going to go out and get a kid that early who is a “bum” then ur high on something. We have the best recruiter in college bball that has yet to let us down but you guys wanna question him because you may or may not have seen Willis play once or twice, even if you had I’m sure u have MBA teams lining up to hire U as a scout

16. Bob Sugar
    3:52 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Now now.. Cal has made some recruiting blunders.. He is by no means perfect nor flawless. Darnell Dodson was a very mediocre player, as was Stacey Poole.

17. Bobbum man
    3:53 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

And yes I accidentally put MBA instead of NBA so ill save the grammar police the trouble

18. Bobbum man
    3:54 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Sooo r u just a troll job sugar? Run along now

19. DavenderCatTheSequel
    3:56 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

I can’t believe Cal still was able to go to 2 Final Fours & win a championship in three years despite his recruiting “blunders.”

20. Gay Ryan Lemond
    3:58 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

I think Willis is on the team to combat all those “fans” that bitch because there aren’t enough KY boys on the team.

21. Bobbum man
    3:58 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

And I never said he was perfect or flawless but I wouldn’t call missing on Darnell Dodson or Stacey Poole letting us down. They weren’t exactly program changers. Point is we always have spare scholarships people act like we’re UL kicking people off the team to make room for the guy

22. James K
    3:59 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Stacey Poole not working out was largely Stacey Poole’s fault.

23. J A Brooks
    4:02 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Bob Sugar please take your moronic posts elsewhere. You know nothing… literally. Willis is not a bad player at all. He’s a 6’8/6’9 kid who can step out and stretch the floor… he’s just not a banger and struggles down low at times but is not athletic enough to be a SF. However he has potential for sure but you’re one of many who just read that he’s fallen in the rankings and decide we should “revoke his scholarship” ??? Go root for the cards and Pitino, that’s their game plan every year. Just kick them off the team. You’re probably one of the people saying we should’ve gotten rid of Jorts. Now of course you’ll say you never thought that, but I bet you’re full of crap. You probably wanted to get rid of Liggins too when he struggled early. SMH

Willis fell in the rankings because he didn’t continue to develop as much as some of the other monsters in that class…. but do you realize how loaded the 2013 class is? Not to mention Talent scouts also pay less attention to a guy ranked around 50th who is white, not an nba player, and already committed… so they continute to fall. This stuff is not rocket science.

Also, we will NEVER EVER have a full 13 scholarships being used while Cal is here. Having a skilled forward to play on the 2nd team his first 2 years, who is from kentucky, a smart kid, and will be here 4 years is incredibly valuable. He is not taking anyone’s scholarship because we lose so much every year. He’s a guy who will provide depth and he’ll be able help our young starters develop by playing against them every day.

Also, by the time he’s a junior or senior he’ll have been playing against the best talent in america for 2-3 years and have been working with one of the best coaches in america so… I’m thinking he might be alright. But what’s your answer… “revoke his scholarship”

Truly the dumbest post I’ve ever seen on here…

*clap clap clap*

24. me
    4:05 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

2-I am a part of BBN and I am not insulted, which means you are 100% incorrect.

25. J A Brooks
    4:07 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Idiot UL fans trolling on UK sites again. I swear I have never once in my life been to a UL blog. They always do find a way to remind us that we’re better than them.

then again maybe they’re just trying to smell what a national title smells like.

26. DC4UK
    4:09 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

#16 does not know what he is talking about. He says Cal has blunders and names 2 players haha. Not everyone has to be a 5 star one and done player. Obviously Cal liked him and offered him a scholly. People who say we got him just because Pitino wanted him thats just a lil crazy. You could say Cal only offered him because he’s from Ky though. Some fans have it in their heads that we have to have a in state kid on the team. I personally think thats dumb. I can tell everyone he ll contribute more than Hood thats for sure

27. Not Jerry Tipton
    4:10 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

This does not bode well for Kentucky fans.

28. frank
    4:11 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Don’t you guys know this Kentucky kid reads all this bull you are writing on KSR!Indiana, Louisville and Purdue were recruiting him and Cal got him.Cal would not have offered him if he was a DUD!He can can shoot the ball and can run the floor. I’ve seen him on clips and he’s a good athlete.
    The only thing I see is he’s not tough enough at 6’9″. That will come with practing againt elite players. I personally believe he will be a Padgett type player by his Junior year.You guys only wish you were as good as him in high school…..GIVE THIS KID A BREAK!!

29. frank
    4:14 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Correction: practicing

30. J A Brooks
    4:15 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

26) so you defend a UK commit by insulting a UK player… good job.

Hood has 2 more years left to play and a bunch of you are running him down and talking about how he’s never contributed.

Lets start thinking about all the UK players that didn’t contribute until their junior and senior years…

SMH

31. DC4UK
    4:19 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

#23 Good post and I’m pretty sure those aren’t Ul fans. Some uk fans really think like that and decide to post their non sense. Its sad to see fellow Uk fans putting down one of our future players just because he’s not ranked high. I wish those fans would either just not post negative stuff or just root for another team. I will support Willis and all other players that commit to Uk no matter what theyre ranked.

32. bsquared
    4:26 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

I hope Brian Long appericates Derek Willis’ scholarship

33. DC4UK
    4:26 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

#30 I never insulted Hood and I hope he gets a real chance before he graduates. Its a shame he tore his ACL. All I meant is Willis has a better chance because of his size. Thats it. It sucks both Willis and Hood will always get recruited over tho and you know it.

34. bsquared
    4:27 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Bob Sugar is Ricky 3 stacks alter ego

35. whaddup
    4:52 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

He looks dead up Jodie Meeks.

Jack

36. theWilkman
    5:39 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Attacking and bad-mouthing a player who Cal recruited (and a KY boy at that) without seeing him in blue and white is just plain silly. Don’t respond to the trolls. Any true fan knows we never get close to maxing out scholarships and have plenty of room for him. Willis will at WORST be role player giving us 5-10 good minutes a game by his junior or senior year.

The fact that people still question Cal’s recruiting abilities baffles the mind.

37. gog8ors
    6:13 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Cat fans had better get used to hearing Randle say he isn’t coming to UK.

38. CliffFrankLou
    6:46 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Hey BobSugar, where can I sign up for your recruiting/scouting newsletter?

39. wow
    7:06 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

@37 you might as well get used to hearing women always tell you that you’re not getting any tonight.

40. Truth
    7:08 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

Marcus Lee will be the next UK commitment.

41. wow
    7:08 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

@37 you might as well get used to always hearing your mom tell you to quit playing dungeons and dragons in her basement…or she may make you move out.

42. J A Brooks
    11:24 pm October 9, 2012 Permalink

I’m thinking we might get Lee, no Randle. If we get Lee, we’ll already have 3 PFs on the roster. Wiltjer, Lee, and Willis. I know Randle is superior to all of them, but will he still want to come. I think Wiltjer will be a very good starter this year and next so I’m not sure we need randle as much as some of the other guys… But obviously I wouldn’t tell him no lol

Next year

PG Harrison
    SG Harrison
    SF Young/Wiggins
    PF Wiltjer
    C WCS

Wiggins is the guy we have to get if he converts to 2013… hes the best high school player since Lebron… but since we’ve got a great chance to get Young, I’d kinda rather Wiggins stay in the 2014 class. That way we’ll have dominant SF in 4 straight classes

43. JC
    1:24 am October 10, 2012 Permalink

Maybe I’m wrong and I hope that I am, but he kissed his daughter more than he kissed his wife. Watched it once. Just what I saw. I’m sure he’s the greatest person ever to live so I’m sorry, but I saw what I saw.

44. Ryan
    4:45 pm October 10, 2012 Permalink

That’s a very short list of visitors.