It’s Louisville Week! (Monday Show Thread)

cards15

What has two thumbs and loves getting beat by Kentucky? THIS GUY.

Well, Kentucky came out of the second weekend of college football alive and now it’s time to focus on the Cardinals. So put on your favorite Florida International t-shirt, kick back, relax, and listen to the sweet sounds of Kentucky Sports Radio radio. Come join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080 or sending a text to the texting machine (919) 928-1789.

Today’s topics include:

* A win is a win

* Florida International is a football powerhouse

* Week 1 in the NFL

* Why Matt is a Vanderbilt fan

It’s easily going to be one of the five best shows this week. I promise you that.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Article written by Drew Franklin

99 Comments for It’s Louisville Week! (Monday Show Thread)

1. 502Cat
    10:00 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

I love it when Matt breaks in on the other show!

2. BigBlueMan
    10:01 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Please address the piss poor presentation of the ‘Ring of Honor’ with those flags. We take the minimum football history that we have and relegate it to the back burner so we can put 200 Kroger logos circling the stadium.

Analysis. Boards are great. Ribbons are so narrow they get lost. (But I’d rather HAVE them than not!)

#TeamJennifer

3. Kidnut
    10:05 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

“You and me, Stein…you and me. All the way to the endzone!”

4. doug shows
    10:06 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

#2, I thought the flags were cool and better than the blue plywood footballs. The boards are awesome and the sound system is infinitely better.

5. BigBlueMan
    10:08 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

#4, you’re entitled, but I couldn’t disagree more. At least with the plywood footballs, they were stationary and easy to read. The flags are MUCH harder to read, and if there is no wind, you might as well forget them. My whole point is that with that million plus dollar system, there HAS to be a better way to present our football history.

6. big tim
    10:12 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

do we have any wr other then larod king? threw the ball to him over and over again and most of them was dropped

7. 502Cat
    10:13 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

At that point the defense was playing much better.

8. Jax Teller
    10:13 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Joker going for it on 4th & 1 in the 4th, was a combination of giving into the fans and trying to show some trust and belief in his team. No way makes that call if we had looked better against WKU/CMU, I think he makes that call to try and jump start his team going into the Louisville game.

9. Paducah Patty
    10:14 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

I wish the haters on Joker would give him a chance. I am so glad that he showed confidence in his team and went for it. This could make all the players step up and let Joker know he was right.

10. Jax Teller
    10:18 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

I liked the scoreboards, but can we do something with the ads? Put them on the ribbon boards and use that space to show plays. The new boards look no different than the old ones because the ads were there the whole time. On to the sound system, I didn’t really notice a difference because it was still only coming from one end of the stadium? I thought speakers were supposed to be on both ends now?

11. Paducah Patty
    10:20 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Happy Birthday George!!! I love his songs. He is my dad’s favorite music. He is listening in the hospital and he will be glad to hear this.

12. Buckets
    10:20 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

“Best voice” in country music is like being the prettiest turd.

13. BigBlueMan
    10:20 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

George Jones is the Keith Richards of country music. If his lifestyle hasn’t killed him by now, he’ll live to be a hundred.

14. Git 'R Dun
    10:21 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Looking at the picture above, who knew Larry The Cable Guy was a Little Brother fan? FIU!! FIU!!

15. Andy P.
    10:21 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Unique voice? Willie Nelson hands down.

16. Laker Cat 18
    10:24 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

6. I agree. We need HANDS. Speed don’t get us anything unless those guys can catch passes.

We can’t consistently move the chains. It’s 4 & out, 4 & out, 4 & out, boom, 87 yard Touchdown. We live and die by big plays. We living now, but we’ll die in conference play. Better fix that quick. D’s looking alright though. Never thought I’d say that.

17. Paducah Patty
    10:24 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

I agree Matt. I always felt Michael Porter got treated badly by Gillispie and the UK fans. He did what he was told to do and did his best.

18. Larry, TCG....
    10:24 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Geez.. Insult me why don’t ya?

19. Chris
    10:25 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

I really hope Matt does the facebook birthdays. Mine is today!

20. RDBsports
    10:27 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

I would say most people are booing the results.

21. Paducah Patty
    10:27 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

19 – he hasn’t been. Mine was last month and he didn’t do it that day either. I think he did it to fill slow sports times in the summer.

22. Dale in Orlando
    10:27 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

STAND UP OR SIT DOWN – My friends and I went to our first UK game back in 1997 after the big win against Alabama. We were jacked (I know I know, It was against Directional Louisiana) The old fans behind us told us to sit down and it was very disappointing. I now live in Florida and was a the Princeton game and had great seats in the section behind the basket. Again, we were very excited because this was the first time that we had seen the team live all year. I was once again told to sit down because we were standing up during the Second Half of the game. This nearly provoked a fight between UK fans. If you don’t want to go to the game and cheer, please stay home. Some fans are ruining it for the people who really want to go to the games.

23. Rose
    10:27 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

My mother always said, just because you think it doesn’t mean you have to say it.

24. fan
    10:28 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

I too think the coach should be given more of a chance. I mean my gosh he is 2-0 against teams that had cheerleaders and everything and he did it with a team that can’t throw or catch.

25. Rusty Shackleford
    10:28 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Why are we acting like UK Fans are the only ones that boo when their team plays horrible? I watched a lot of college games this weekend and surprise, a lot of them boo’ed their teams at different when they did stupid things or flat out sucked.

26. BigBlueMan
    10:28 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Were they using some voice recognition software on a board in the end zone? There was some REALLY strange stuff being posted in the corners.

27. Serious Question
    10:29 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Does Joker we have 6 TE’s on our roster? Have we thrown to one all year?

28. trav
    10:29 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

How about the old winston guy rearing his ugly head?!?!? He again ran towards a guy that was almost down dives with his head down and just hits him without even attempting to wrap him up and the guy bounces off on third and long and runs for a fist down. Nice to see wee again cant stop people on third down. I cussed for about 2 minutes straight .

29. Paducah Patty
    10:30 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Why don’t the fans cheer more, make more noise. Booing does nothing but make the fan base look bad. We are better than that we our UK!!

30. hoop33
    10:31 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

i think boos are instinctive. you see that 3 & 12 hitch play, and you let him kno it was a bad call. im sure he realized that afterwards, but its just an instinct for some people i think. dont rip me on the air for saying that…i wasnt there so you cant blame me for booing lol

31. Serious Question
    10:32 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Does Joker know we have 6 TE’s on our roster? Have we thrown to one yet this year?

32. Todd
    10:33 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Matt, can you confirm that only half of the stadium had the speakers working. We sit on the visitors side in section 108 and throughout the game, speakers seemed to only be working on one side of the field.

33. Wayne Rooney
    10:33 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

KSR really needs to devote one picture feature a week to volleyball players Jackie Napper & Stephanie Klefot. Wow…

34. Rose
    10:33 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

I think the whole team would benefit from a big tub of “Tacky Finger” to hang on to the football, and the other team when we’re tackling ’em.

35. No Show Jones
    10:34 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

More me!

36. Jax Teller
    10:34 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

#TEAMJENNIFER — to the guy saying “I paid for these seats”…congratulations I paid for mine too. Next time pay for better tickets and get front row seats, you don’t have to worry about people standing up and cheering if you are in the front row.

37. SoccerCat
    10:34 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

When is Louisville Hate Day?

38. Steve
    10:35 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Rusty Shackelford is Dale Gibble’s alias in the show “King of the Hill”.

39. Jsett1
    10:35 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

How mad was Trevathan when he got his interception and then the offense did absolutely nothing with it. I would’ve been level 9 pissed!

40. Kyle
    10:35 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Matt – Rusty Shackleford is from “King of the Hill” – not a real person.

41. Buckets
    10:36 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

So Card fans are saying (now that they got their badass future PG…LOL), that UK recruiting is suffering because Cal coached the DR team. Mark, how much recruiting time did Cal actually miss out on? My guess is NONE.

42. bung
    10:38 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

it’s a looavul bathroom…go to Lexington

43. Rusty Shackleford
    10:40 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Not saying that booing is ok, just making a point. Cheers and boo’s go hand in hand as part of sports.

44. ebell55
    10:40 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

I really think Fan negativity is the number 1 thing that can cause our program to go down the crapper!! Your Boos don’t help the team and surely don’t help recruiting!!

45. Paducah Patty
    10:42 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

If you don’t want to participate and cheer your team. Stay home! I would love to go to a football game at Commonwealth. I watch all the tv games and listen to them on radio and I yell for my team the whole time.

46. big tim
    10:42 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

#TeamJennifer if you want to sit down stay home you get a great view from your tv

47. kyrobman
    10:42 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

@ BBall games those people have a special place to sit, and they are well able to see.

48. Kyle
    10:43 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

At the WKU game at LP Field, I was sitting on the 50-yard line behind the UK bench, and LP Field security game down and removed two people who were standing up and cheering the entire game. Other UK fans around them were booing the security for doing that.

49. lpool003
    10:44 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

My best friends Fiancee scheduled her bridal shower for 6pm this Saturday! Needless to say, 20 of the 30 people she invited are mysteriously working on a Saturday or will be out of town…

50. Jaime
    10:44 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

My dad always said, “Don’t get married or die on a day UK plays, because I won’t be able to attend”

51. trav
    10:45 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

How about using this response. ” I paid for my tickets so I can stand.”

52. The Veil
    10:45 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Matt, will you be my best man? Btw it’s during the UK vs U of L Basketball game.

53. lexlady
    10:49 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Entourage: spoiler alert!!!!

54. Kyle
    10:49 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Thanks for spoiling my DVR’d Entourage episode. I couldn’t stop listening to you.

55. KentuckyRosie
    10:49 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

I am so lucky to have season tickets in a section where EVERYONE stands. We are 2 sections over from the student section and were just feeding off their energy this weekend. I have to say the students really stepped it up and the energy in that part of the stadium was awesome! Maybe we all need to send ambassadors to other sections!

56. c.scott
    10:53 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Per Peter King’s monday morning quarterback column:

Randall Cobb’s nickname inside the Packer locker room is Corn.

57. swcat1
    10:53 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

#TeamJennifer– I had this problem in ’02 at Rupp.

I had some T-Shirts made that said on the back “If you don’t like my cheering go to the Movies!”.

After that nobody asked me to sit again.

58. Old Grouchy Guy
    10:54 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

SIT DOWN!!! BOOOOOO! BOOOOO! I CAN’T SEE THE GAME!!! BOOOOO! BOOOOO!

59. lexlady
    10:54 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Stop with the HBO spoiler alerts!!!

60. Paducah Patty
    10:54 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

I’ll have to listen to 2nd hour on podcast. 2 of my dads nurses are loserville fans and you don’t want to tick off people who are helping to keep you alive.

61. lexlady
    10:55 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Lots of people plan their weddings before the schedule is announced. Wewanted to get married in the fall but got married the last weekend in August because we knew there would be no major sporting events then.

62. Fancy
    10:56 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Girls are all about the numbers. My daughter got married this past January – 1-1-11. A lot of weddings that day too.

63. Joshua Lambert
    10:56 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

My cousin is getting married Saturday, and there is no doubt I will be seating in my seat at Commonwealth.

64. UKGirl
    10:57 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

My wedding happened to fall on the day UK lost to Marquette in 2003. My Grandpa almost disowned me for that.

65. RYNO
    10:57 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

UK v UofL Prediction time!!! Scoring plays- Don’t even bother watching it. This is exactly how it will happen.

UL comes out ON FIRE following that embarrassing loss. They score back to back FG and go up 6-0 after the 1st quarter.

UK battles back, scoring a TD on a Clemons 35 yd. run. 7-6 UK.

UL All-World QB gets brutally sacked by Winston Guy on a safety blitz, fumbles the ball. Travathan picks it up, runs it back for a TD. 14-6.

Stein throws TD to Michealeeeeeeeeeee Harris on a blown coverage by Matt Roark (Joker switched him to CB). 14-13 UK

On the 7th deep ball thrown to LaRod King, Newton and Larod finally hook up for a 65 yd TD late in 3rd Qtr. 21-13 UK

Stein jumps on the back of his RT, UK defense can’t find him, UL walks in for a TD. 21-20 UK

4th quarter- 30 seconds left, FG from UK. 24-20 UK

Stein drives all the way down the field, gets it to the 5 yd line with 2 seconds left in the game. Strong decides to kick a FG to tie it up. FG good!! UL loses by 1. 24-23 UK.

66. Section114
    11:01 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

I got 2 things. One is that I made sure to get to the game early so that I could be sure to get tickets for the “Hero Day” promotion the UK was running. 10am when tickets were starting to be passed out, the line was approximately 30 deep. After seeing this I was beating myself in the head abit for not using some of the time that I was standing around in line for some more productive activities (cornhole and free food/drinks with all the tailgaters). It just kinda suprised me that the tickets weren’t going as fast as I would have thought, I mean it was a FREE GAME!!! My second thing concerns the standing up during the game. I myself am a fan that stands up the majority of the game and loves to cheer so put me down for teamjennifer. However, I felt that I had to say something to the shirtless painted Central Michigan fans (my seats were directly behind the visiting section) who were standing on the bleachers, to step down off the bleachers and on to the walkway, nicely i might add. The reason for this was because it was pretty much impossible to see around/over them even though im a fairly tall guy at 6’1. Like I said before, I have no problem with standing and cheering for your team, but I thought that if your gonna do it, do it where your “allowed” to. Any thoughts on that?

67. BigBlueMan
    11:04 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

#61-If you plan a wedding before the schedule is announced, you must be planning it while in junior high.

As for Entourage, wasn’t great, wasn’t horrible. It’s somewhere in the middle of Seinfeld and Mash finales.

68. fan
    11:12 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

its Lville week…again?

69. Jax Teller
    11:14 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

For anyone wanting more reasons to not get married during football season, I made that mistake 7 years ago. At the time I thought no big deal, Kentucky plays Indiana on our wedding day — not too many people care about that game, so I’m ok with it. BUT every year since then I’ve been stuck celebrating our anniversary on the weekend of a game. This weekend while everyone else is watching UK/Louisville, I’ll be eating dinner at an expensive restaurant with my cell phone off so I don’t get score updates…DON’T DO IT GUYS, PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN!!!

70. RYNO
    11:14 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

That’s why Butler has been to back to back Championship games.

71. RYNO
    11:19 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Where’s the TRUTH? I figured he’d be on here talking up his beloved IU Football Program?? Ball State and Virginia might not be Florida International, but they played them boys TOUGH!!!

72. Blue in Arkansas
    11:23 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

I guess the syphilis has gotten into Kevin’s brain. that’s what’s wrong with cards fans…they all have syphilis

73. bookie 4 QB
    11:26 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

It seems to me that Ohio State and UNC were pretty big games last year and the CAAAAAATS won

74. Legggooo
    11:26 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Dan Hawkins sucked! He said if we wanted entertainment we should go to the movies.

75. Joseph from Paintsville
    11:32 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Hey Matt, How much of an impact can fans have on a college football game? No doubt that without that atmosphere and those fans Notre Dame wins that game on Saturday night.

76. Joseph from Paintsville
    11:33 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Hey Matt, How much of an impact can fans have on a college football game? Just ask the Michigan Wolverines. No doubt that without that atmosphere and those fans Notre Dame wins that game on Saturday night.

77. mommasays
    11:34 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

other than the few really intense moments I only stand and cheer AFTER a good play. That way nobody misses it.

78. Buckets
    11:34 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

LMAO! They are acting like they just got John Wall. All they got was a three-pump-chump, just like their coach!

RE: Rozier Committs (10 votes)
    I would bet there won’t be any UK fans in this thread. All the ones b!tching about recruiting will run like rats.
    Great pickup for the Ville. This is the kind of kid we have needed. A kid that loves the VIlle like a hometown recruit.

RE: Rozier Committs
    he wont be a 3 star for long. I think I read he’s 6’1? A big PG is NICE.

RE: Rozier Committs
    Stars? LOL. People who follow that stuff are nuts. Coaches know just a tad bit more than these recruiting experts! I think the guy looks like Dwayne Wade…

Etc, etc, etc

79. Bourbonbelly
    11:35 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

This whole standing or sitting thing is so dumb. It is perfect example of what is wrong with our society today. People get upset and offended over nothing and are unwilling to compromise. Both sides just need to relax and agree to disagree. Everyone loves the game experience and everyone paid a bunch of money to be there. People that want to stand, cheer your ass off on defensive 3rd downs, after big plays, or a very important play, but don’t be a prick and stand the whole game. There is no reason you can’t be loud while sitting. Maybe the guy behind you literally can’t stand the whole game or is older or whatever. On the other hand, people that want to sit, don’t be a grumpy party pooper. The simple fact of the matter is that people need to let others have there fun every once in a while whether that fun is sitting or standing is up to you.

-bb

80. Joseph from Paintsville
    11:35 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

How important are fans to a college football team? Ask the Michigan Wolverines…Without those fans and the atmosphere they created, Notre Dame wins that game Saturday night…therefore, the fans and atmosphere can absolutely make a difference between a win and a loss.

81. Team BBN
    11:35 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Shouldn’t we all go to a game, stand up and cheer the team on? It’s a disappointment to me if I go to a game and no one stands up. But it’s especially disappointing to go to a game where the fans boo the team. Stand up BBN!!!

82. Team BBN
    11:35 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

83. MemphisCat
    11:36 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Does that picture make it look like the guys eyes are to close together? And they want to say UK fans are inbreed.

84. Punching Myself in the Face
    11:37 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

I would rather drink a cup of Gasoline than listen to a woman announcer!

85. big tim
    11:37 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

check this out joker sent the game ball to iraq http://www.wdrb.com/story/15436999/uk-to-send-game-ball-to-iraq

86. Buckets
    11:40 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Matt, your welcome.

87. Jake
    11:40 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Pam Ward might of been bad. But Hawkins was just as terrible. My god.

88. UKfanFelicia
    11:41 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

OMG Love Misfits one of the best shows from UK I’ve seen

89. Tom Jurich
    11:41 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

I was right! U of L football fans do think we;re going to Orange Bowls every week!

90. Nutwrap
    11:44 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

EKU had “Here Come the Mummies” to pump them up so it’s not really a fair comparison.

91. Se7ens
    11:49 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

The Fields Show, interviewing Coach Billy Clyde Galloway

92. Buckets
    11:50 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Carolina Gump….F’ing shoot me.

93. #8's Ghost
    11:51 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Oh geez. Here comes Nascar talk. yawwnnnnn….

94. Jsett1
    11:52 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

Fields sounded like the less-drunk, more reasonable brother of Truth.

95. Drew the Employee
    11:55 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

today’s winners are #25 & #84. e-mail me at [email protected]

96. UKGirl
    11:55 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

What did the Truth just say?

97. BigBlueMan
    11:56 am September 12, 2011 Permalink

I only understand about every third word ‘The Truth’ says, but he’s still my favorite caller.

98. iMactastic
    12:32 pm September 12, 2011 Permalink

Is that dancing Hawaiian shirt guy from pros vs dominicans ?

99. kymash
    4:08 pm September 12, 2011 Permalink

Awesome…Corky is a Card fan AND has facial hair!!