It’s Jon Hood time.

(Tim Webb Photography)

Wake up, Madisonville.  It’s Jon Hood time.

With Nerlens Noel’s 32 minutes per game suddenly swept away from the Wildcats, the door is open, wide open, for Jon Hood to be a contributor. Kentucky doesn’t have a choice, really. Hood is going to see the court and Kentucky needs him to give more than four minutes and one point per game.

But will he?

The potential to be a factor is there, according to Coach Cal. Hood has been a great practice player lately; now he just needs to transfer that over to games.

“Let me just tell you, he has been playing really good,” Calipari said last night. “He has been terrific at practice. Now what he’s got to do is carry over what he’s been doing at practice over to games. That’s demonstrated performance. He got in against Mississippi and he really helped us — really helped us.”

All eyes are now on UK to see how they handle the remaining seven regular season games without Nerlens Noel. Everyone will need to step up if Kentucky is going to have any chance of making the tournament. They can be heroes in Noel’s absence, or roll over and let the 2012-13 season die. Jon Hood is included in that group. He can make a difference if he elevates his game and makes the most of this unexpected opportunity.

From one Maroon to another, go get ’em, Hood. Make all of us who have to take the Wendell H. Ford WK Parkway home from Lexington proud.

Article written by Drew Franklin

74 Comments for It’s Jon Hood time.

1. Crizzle
    12:11 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

We all know seeing John hood succeed is what you desire more than anything in life Drew but I don’t see it happening or him even being on the team next year for that matter.

2. Owen
    12:14 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

We really do need Hood. We don’t have a real small forward on the team and quality minutes from Hood would be a good bonus given he’s got decent size. If he can play tough like Polson, maybe we can scratch our way to a tourney berth.

3. James
    12:15 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Remember this moment. Jon Hood will lead us to the final four.

4. Crizzle
    12:16 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

However at this point I’m beyond pessimistic so feel free to ignore what I say.

5. RICK
    12:21 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

All he has to do is shoot the 3, rebound ,5 a game and make free throws. WHAT?

6. Hey
    12:26 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

To steal a scene from Thelma & Louise. “Jesus Christ”, “Dear God””My lord”

That’s all folks.

7. HotChicksOfUK
    12:28 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Does Jon Hood seriously get girls at UK?

8. Travis Ford
    12:30 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

We’re f’ed!

9. NotJohnHoodIPromise
    12:30 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Hell yeah he does- they should change his name to Adonis Hood

10. knightynight
    12:33 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

that is complete coach speak. what else are you going to say about the guy that you are going to be forced to play — that he sucks? heck no. But, honestly (and i’m not a hood fan) I think that he is aggressive and active…so if he just limits his want to shoot all of the time, he could actually help us. We’ll see how that goes.

11. OregonCat
    12:34 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Do it like Josh Harrellson did when Enes Kanter was ruled ineligible.

12. struggler
    12:43 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Support the team – the whole team please! I for one am hoping he can make the most of this bad situation. Not the best on defense – but has he even gotten a shot at being in a game long enough to get a feel for the speed of the game? No – on the job training should not take place in a much needed conference game – but it’s going to happen – so stop bitching and start supporting. This is Cal’s coaching challenge at this point – to get the most out of what he has, all he has left. Hood can score – so hopefully he can get comfortable – feel supported and confident enough to do what he knows he can do. POY no… but capable for being productive. Give him a chance.

13. JBR
    12:44 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Cal has always had something against Hood. He has always said he plays good in practice, but won’t let him play in games. Yeah, he can’t defend that well, I am not stupid, but exactly who on this team does? If Cal refuses to play Hood over Goodwin before the injury, he won’t play him now either.

14. Josh Carrier
    12:46 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

I remember my playing days…I don’t think I missed one shot in practice.

15. DeeRock
    12:46 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

FINALLY an article about Hood. I was waiting all day yesaterday for someone to mention him. Of course Polson was mentioned but Hood also needs to be in the talks. He may not have the talent level of some of the other guys, but what you will get is 100% hustle and 100% effort. Which is what Nerlens gave. Polson and Hood give this kind of effort for one reason only: the name on the front of the jersey. not the one on the back. GO BIG BLUE!

16. Rube Baker
    12:47 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

I’ve heard hood is the ultimate lover.

17. hoodiearrest
    12:53 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

geesh, “the programme” has sunk2an all-time low, if now “grasping @ straws” (named Hood);

h00die ought 2b arrested & thrown in jail for theft/stealing, as he has “stolen” his education via athletic scholarship, w/o providing any meaningful “return-on-the investment”

18. Say what?
    12:58 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

#10 did you just say Hood wants to shoot all the time? Lol, he has taken a whopping 10 shots all season. He has played 61 minutes. You do the math. Does that reflect a “want to shoot”? On the contrary, I think he is afraid to shoot in games.

19. Tony
    12:59 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

He will have to score 30 to make up for all the turn overs and missed lay ups that Poythress makes……Somebody get him a ride back to Clarksville! Think he was a deer in the head lights against FL wait till Poythress takes the untimate gas at TN

20. josh
    1:06 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Hood has to have some of that Madisonville Amish in his blood.

21. bosshogg24
    1:07 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

If a player couldn’t play last week, how is he going to play next week?
    Some people are practice players but can’t produce in games remember Carrier from a few years back?

22. struggler
    1:10 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

This is now a coaching challenge. We have been somewhat spoiled with talent in the past – young talent that had to be focused. Look at Butler… VCU… did you know any names on their team and want them at UK? Likely not – but they have learned to play as a team and make the most of what they have. That is where we are now, and really… is where a team finds it’s most chemistry. I love the big names and will miss NN like crazy – but this team now needs to come together and play team ball. Otherwise all the negative nancy’s will have their “I told you so” moments to wallow in.

23. MemphisCat
    1:17 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Hopefully, Jon will finally get his chance to shine like we all want him to do since he signed with UK. I’m not saying he comes in and gives us 20pts a game, but be a solid bench player and be that Cameron Mills player we desperately need this year.

24. bung
    1:20 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

I think Hood and Willie and Polson can do it. I don’t see how we can continue to start ryan and archie and poy until they show they have changed when they come off the bench. I think Poythress will hit his stride coming in for willie at the low post…

25. Steve
    1:21 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Go get em Jon. Always hoped you would get your chance. Lousy way to get a chance but hoping you can show what BBN has always believed you have.

26. Musehobo
    1:24 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Nothing personal against Hood, but I’d take Todd Lanter over him. Hood has awkwardly stumbled through every minute he’s been on the court. He has no drive, no purpose on the floor. He’s outmatched, and realizes it, thus his lack of initiative. I’d rather see someone who might develop play. Polson has made Hood look inept, and I can’t ever see that changing. But what would we expect from someone who’s hero is Billy Gillispie?

27. it's about that time
    1:25 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

sh*t’s about to real in here yo

28. it's about that time
    1:26 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

ummmm, i mean sh*t’s about to get real in here … yo !

29. TheWhoWhatWhat
    1:26 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

I’m not gonna lie and sit here and tell you that I’m the type of person that’s been rooting for this kid to get some time, but seriously, if he’s actually been performing “great” at practice, why the hell hasn’t he played already!? Either Cal’s lying or he actually loves watching Archie Glad I’m Not Coming Back Goodwin throw retarded prayers at the rim all night.

30. bung
    1:27 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Hood’s good…Go get em Jon…

31. FranktheTank
    1:27 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

We are in a boat, traveling up a creek. I’m not sure what the name of the creek is but its brown. It also appears to have turds floating in it. Anyway, we are traveling up this creek and I just discovered we do not have any paddles.

32. DumbComment
    1:28 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

26 nothing personal against you, but your first sentence is idiotic.

33. OhNo
    1:29 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

31 that creek must be in Louisville. I’ve always heard the water is terrible there.

34. bung
    1:32 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Kyle and Jon will both do better if they can play without fearing the hook. I mean at least let them make as many mistakes as ryan and archie have all year…

35. Louisville Fan Here
    1:35 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

duuuuuuuuuuuuh

36. inlinefor9
    1:42 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

37. inglish mager
    1:43 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

They aint no way Harrow or Goodwin deserve to start!

38. inlinefor9
    1:45 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

This is now a Tubby Smith team:

The uber talented player only in it for himself
    The other uber talented player with no motor
    And 3 other starters that should be off the bench guys
    Bench players that make you cringe

Next season can’t get here fast enough

39. otis
    1:51 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

my granddaddy had a one legged blind chicken that always ran into things, fell over, and shot stuff out his butt…

40. Mc
    1:52 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

#23. That’s funny. Don’t get me wrong, I root for all things UK, but he doesn’t look to score because his head is always down. When he gets the ball it’s like hot potato. That’s playing with a bunch of eyes on you as opposed to being relaxed in practice. I was the same way for some reason. I could play during practice and in pick up games and leagues, but in front of fans I always panicked. I don’t know if it was anxiety issues, but I became passive. I hope he proves me wrong, but he’s nothing like Mills. For Polson, I appreciate his heart, but if we’re getting big minutes from him and Hood, we’re toast. Polson isn’t athletic enough to g

41. catlanta31
    1:56 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Drew are you serious? Jon Hood isn’t as good as Sam Malone. Matt even said on the show yesterday he doesn’t see Hood returning next year. Give me a break.

42. bung
    1:59 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

I think Hood is very alert has court awareness and makes great passes and assists. One of our many problems has been guys that wait too long to pass and then do it weakly or keep it and turn it over. Hood’s shooting % is also definitely needed.

43. The champ
    2:11 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

It’s no good in hood .

44. mudcreekmark
    2:12 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

22)The difference in the Butler or VCU players is they don’t have the egos that the highly recruited players have. They don’t come in thinking they have to impress the NBA scouts so they can turn pro after one year.
    26)Have you watched Hood play in any games this year or are you going back 2 years ago? Hood has actually looked pretty good in the short time he has been in games. In fact he hit a couple of threes in one game and then wasn’t seen again.

For all you Jon Hood haters, how could he posibaly play any worse than Archie Goodwin? Stop your bitching until Hood actually gets more than 3 minutes a game before passing judgement.

45. HeshimuEvans'2ndGradeTeacher
    2:14 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

#42 – How do you know those things about a dude that never plays?

46. mudcreekmark
    2:16 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

39)Your discription of your granddaddys chicken sounds all too familiar. That chickens name wasn’t Archie was it?

47. bung
    2:17 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

I watch him when he does play…moving the ball quickly is a virtue… I think his 3 point shooting and reg field goals are around 60%…I also watch our present starters…

48. MJ4UK
    2:20 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

#47. Yeah but when you’ve only taken 10 shots your whole career

49. MJ4UK
    2:22 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

If Billie Clyde hadn’t have come to UK, Hood would be workin’ at Ferrell’s and attending MCC

50. bung
    2:23 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

48) I agree he should have been playing more so he could shoot more…

51. Fred Sanford
    2:25 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Awww…KSR doesn’t like the truth that this is a honky fest…

52. Bluecoat
    2:28 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Nailed it, bung. The best thing Hood can do for the Cats is bring some maturity to the game. Ball doesn’t get stuck in his hands like it does with the younger fellas. I’m just looking on the bright side. Obviously the team is worse off without Noel, but what from what I’ve observed from the brief moments Hood is in the game, the offense is more active.

53. MJ4UK
    2:28 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Yeah, who would he have played over? Dont get me wrong…Right now I think him and Polson should start, and Ryan and Archie sit.

54. Hoodgood
    2:31 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

if hood plays, we are royally screwed….lol

55. Billie Clyde's Early Times
    2:32 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

He was my best recruit next to Vinnie Zolo

56. MJ4UK
    2:38 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Do the Maroons still have the mop as the mascot??

57. NOT
    2:42 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

I’m not sure that looking down the bench is going to solve our problem. The next man up may not work this time. If you haven’t elevated your game by now, not sure it will happen.

58. bung
    2:49 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

some starters definitely haven’t elevated their game with all the chances they have had…some are worse…

59. asdf
    2:52 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

What was Hood? Something like # 22 in the country that year? He needs to show what got him that rating. There’s a good player in there somewhere. I think he just has “Kentucky White Boy Disease”, where highly rated in-state white kids come in and are so hyped about being Cats that it keeps them from producing (and we’ve had dozens of them in this exact same scenario).

60. bung
    3:01 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

you have to play to produce…with the exception of some of our starters…and while we are at it I predict our fast break would finally become more potent when players are in that will PASS after drawing the defender…

61. Bmizitch
    3:08 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Cal’s got Hood scared to make a mistake. When you play scared you make more mistakes. I have watched Hood play scared, miss a shot and get yanked from a game. This happened OVER AND OVER AND OVER

62. Wall2Cousins
    3:09 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

GAWD NO

63. Goober
    3:16 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

If I had a dog as ugly as Jon Hood, Id shave its ass and make it walk backwards!

64. JBR
    3:50 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Right on 44 & 61.

65. Disgusted
    4:22 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

I now understand why Matt hates the comment section. Many of the posts above sound like whining wimps. Anybody thinking about playing for us would think twice if they ever read the crap posted by our fans. My guess is that the people making fun of Hood and our other players never played ball except in their driveway. Quit being jerks!

66. elzeko
    4:34 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Its about time Hood gets some playing time, just a shame its becaus4e of the circumstance.The majority of the the dimwits who has bad mouth him must be the Scum of the Cards sites. If that being the case they are more of them on this site that TRUE BLUE CATS. I say Go Hood lets show these A.. Wipes what Cal has been afraid to show why making us suffer watching the wild mad dashes to the RIM. I fault Cal more than I do Archie. Go Cats

67. LOL
    4:40 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

#61 Really? You have watched Hood miss a shot and get yanked “OVER AND OVER AND OVER”? What a bunch of BS. You have seen that so much because Hood has taken a total of 10 shots this year and hit 6 of those I believe?? So wow, in the whole season thus far he has missed 4 shots and you see him taken out of games OVER AND OVER AND OVER for not making a shot. Baloney

68. goukats
    5:19 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

How in the hell can Jon Hood improve if he seldom gets to play?For a guy who gets as few minutes as he gets,he plays a pretty good game.As fans we don’t know if he can play or not.

69. Bmizitch
    5:39 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

67… Do you think I’m only talking about this season? Cal started this with Hood in 2010-11….

70. LOL
    6:22 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

#69 Oh you mean 2010-11 when for the year Hood shot at a 24% clip from 2 point range, and 15% from 3 point range? Yes I am shocked he was taken out when he misses shots at about an 80% clip. So he should be left in games due to his other contributions since he can’t shoot outside of practice. Yes his .7 rebound average and inability to defend a dead tree should have forced Cal to play him more.

71. LOL
    6:28 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Ok guys, do you attend practice every day? Do you really think Cal chooses to play players he thinks will make us lose? Nothing against Hood, but its simple. There are 7 or 8 guys ahead of him, in Cal’s eyes, that outperform him in practice, are more athletic, and give us a better chance to win. It’s nice and all that he is from KY, but geez, give it a rest. There is a reason why he doesn’t play much and if you can’t see it, you r either from Madisonville or u don’t know basketball

72. Hood is not the answer
    7:12 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

I don’t know what some of you want? You complain we need to recruit 4 year players who will stay in the system, we need to recruit more KENTUCKY boys. Well that’s all fine and dandy. You get situations like this. Cal has recruited better player who have played over him. Yes cal has pulled Hood from games, because he is a defensive liability and if he’s not hitting his shots he can’t play. Just like KW.
    I like Hood too. Thought he would get to play more but the facts are he just not as good as the ones playing ahead of him.
    44) Have you ever watched basketball before? You do know the PRIZED RECRUITES your talking about just took us to a elite 8, FF, and NC don’t you? I’ve watched Hood since high school and he’s never been a great 3 PT. shooter. Most think because he’s a white boy from Kentucky he’s a shooter but he’s not never has been. He wasn’t ranked 22 and he wasn’t rated a 5 star.

73. bung
    7:36 pm February 14, 2013 Permalink

Jon Hood deserves his chance with meaningful minutes…play long enough to get tired and play thru the nerves…don’t worry about the hook…I think he was #40 in the nation…he is 67% from 3 and 60 % overall shooting this year…He has weaknesses but we have to see him play in a game for an extended period to know if those weaknesses even come close to those shown by players starting all year…we are talking about this year and right now…

74. Cal has said for a few weeks that Hood has played good at practice. So it is time for him to help the team in games.
    I would also like to give Hood some advice. If you look sloppy in your appearance, everyone will perceive you that way, including yourself. So, get your hair styled and shave.