It’s Football Time in the Bluegrass!

Joker Phillips started the theme “Operation Win” last season and it became a joke among the fans base after the Cats finished the season 6-7. As most know, it’s okay to lose the battle as long as you win the war. In Joker’s case, he is trying to win the war. Being the most northern team in college football’s best conference is a huge challenge. However, if there is one man up for the challenge, it’s Joker Phillips.

As Matt reported last night, I will be joining KSR to provide in-depth football content. In the future, look for game previews, post game recaps and recruiting coverage. Just like Joker Phillips, my goal is similar to “Operation Win”. While Joker is trying to win football games and climb the SEC ladder, I’m trying to provide the best coverage possible to a traditional basketball powerhouse. It’s not easy.

Two years ago, I started Aaron’s UK Football Blog and went on to start Bleed Blue Kentucky. I felt there wasn’t enough coverage regarding the football program. Most people thought I was crazy because I didn’t cover basketball. I didn’t feel the need to be another “me too”. I found there is always plenty of news to report on the football front.

While I did not play for UK or in the SEC, I played Division II football. I tried, but Bill Curry wouldn’t respond to my letters. I like to think I could have been Jeff Snedegar. I did however attend many combines and camps. I took a lot of official and unofficial visits. In a lot of ways, I can relate to the recruiting process.

When it comes to football recruiting, we have it covered at BBK. I realize some fans don’t want to track the 150-200 football recruits the Cats are showing interest in. Unlike John Calipari, Joker Phillips makes recruiting fun. The good news is I will be keeping the KSR fans updated on a regular basis. In the event you want a lot of updates, then check out my site. If not, that’s cool too. Either way, we’ll have you covered!

Only 77 days until kick-off!

Article written by Aaron Cordero

53 Comments for It’s Football Time in the Bluegrass!

1. Farmer for 3
    12:07 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

You sir, have the worst job on Earth. Your job is now comparable to the ESPN guys that have to cover bowling, women’s softball and NASCAR. But congrats on the new gig. Good luck trying to keep a team with a losing record interesting.

2. 78 NCAA Champions
    12:11 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

I have been a die hard UK football fan most of my life and that can be a difficult thing sometimes. However, attending football games with my family were some of the most special times of my life. Aaron, glad to see you on KSR and looking forward to your insight. As most fans of Kentucky are finally realizing, the football program in an important part of what the athletic department is able to accomplish. Best of luck and looking forward to your postings.

3. SexnNursinHomes
    12:11 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

1- Great positive energy. Just what we need.

Welcome Cordero, and thanks for the football news. Best advice I can give ya. Don’t eat yellow snow.

4. Hestkuk
    12:12 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Why hasnt Joe Manly committed?

Does Daniel Ross have a firm offer? Rumor has it his grades are a huge issue.

Any more rumblings on Hunter Holloway since camp?

5. Mr Schwump
    12:13 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Welcome Aaron!

6. Walls
    12:13 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Looking forward to the football updates. For a team with consistently ranking in the top 25 attendance numbers in the nation, we need more coverage!

7. og68
    12:15 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

I hope this is a positive move for you,and I hope that you do not get caught up in that cuteness that is so prevalent there that thinks it is cool to knock the UK Football program.

You have a unique opportunity!Make the best of it,and remember,”you can talk the talk,But you need to walk the talk”.

8. MD
    12:22 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

I agree with poster #7. A couple comments–fist of all Operation Win is not a joke with all of the fan base(and probably not most) so my suggestion is to not make those type of comments in absolutes. Secondly, I read your site on occasion and I would suggest putting your opinion on the recruits that you interview as opposed to just writing what they say. Rob Gidel was very good at that and it was something that I really enjoyed.
    It looks like to work hard per the articles on your site and I hope that this move is a good one for you. Welcome aboard!

9. Aaron Cordero
    12:24 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

I’m confident Manley will be a Cat. He is close to making an announcement. Ross will be a Cat too. He does have a little more to do in the class room. I think we will hear more about Holloway soon. Based on feedback, he is a great OL prospect.

10. mocha
    12:27 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

welcome aaron.

11. I did play SEC football
    12:32 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

I agree with MD’s thoughts on calling Operation Win a joke. In fact I resent the comment. You’re off to a good start.

12. Brandon
    12:33 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

can’t wait to see what two star recruit with MAC offers that we pull in next!

13. BhamJ
    12:39 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Aaron,

I have been following your website for a while. I appreciate all your work.

However, with your new partnership here you need to be careful. You may be overqualified and overly competent for this group. So, tone down the professionalism a little bit, ok.

14. bilhelm
    12:40 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Welcome Aaron, Great to have you, and looking forward to more football insight. BBK has been added to my rotation.

15. Pete
    12:40 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Sweet… I love basketball but football is the families favorite.

16. JBR
    12:40 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Aaron, welcome to KSR…I am tickled to death to have you on here, as it will help the profile of our football program. I check out your site regularly, but this will help with the casual fan, and as mentioned above, just ignore the morons that get on here bashing football…and there are several.

Now, a question for you not related to recruiting. As you probably remember, I used to post on your site some, but stopped because of a couple of your guys not being able to discuss the shortcomings of Joker LAST SEASON. I am a Joker fan, and really, really hope that he does well here. I think that he has recruiting on the right track (we still need to step up, but with a successful season, I think we can take that step)…but, alluding to that, a winning season that is the only sure thing to help recruiting…my question is that do you think that Joker has learned some lessons and will deal with those things effectively? There were some things last year, on and off the field, that troubled me. Some discipline stuff, didn’t seem like everyone respected Joker on the team. I heard from some insiders the coaching staff was not on the same page, and that Joker just did not have control of the locker room. I think that bringing a very experienced, sort of hard a$$ Minter was a home run for Joker, and maybe the thing he needed to keep from sliding back a bit. What is your take on how Joker will grab this team, and change the things that need changing this year? As much as I want to be optimistic, that bowl game and how pathetically prepared we were for that really sort of make me hesitate…but I do like the talent that is being brought in right now…any insight?

17. FrankVegas
    12:42 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Welcome Aaron. As one of the few people who continue to support Joker and the football CATS, I should warn you that this is not “Home on the Range.” Discouraging words are FREQUENTLY heard, even when something positive happens. That’s not to say that we as fans should give Joker or the players a pass when they make mistakes, but some of the things people say on here are unbelievable. I think you are a great addition to this site, and I hope the increased coverage will help change some of the negative perceptions that permeate the vocal minority of “fans”, who think a “big name coach” like Mike Leach would win the SEC in 2 years, or that Moss would have won the Heisman next year, etc. Good luck, and I look forward to your insight.

18. Duncan Cavanah
    12:44 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Welcome Aaron. The more football content on the site, the better. Can’t wait to read more.

19. iWantToGrowUpToBeTheDrewFranklin
    12:57 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Turn up the lights in here babay. That’s what you’re here for right? The football lights?

20. Lex07
    1:08 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Welcome! I look forward to your in-depth coverage of both of our SEC wins this year…

21. The Vig
    1:12 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Dick Stalker says it’s not your job to look at yourself as an undiscovered Jeff Snedegar.

22. The Vig
    1:18 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Aaron – Dick Stalker and #16 (JBR) are having a tickle party just thinking about your untapped potential. Remember, don’t talk about Matt’s hair, Drew’s eyebrows, or Jerry Tipton’s value and we’re good.

23. JackNicklaus
    1:27 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Welcome Aaron…I have been to your site many times and it is very good. I am not a Joker fan for many reasons, but will enjoy hearing about recruiting, etc. I hope he proves me wrong.

24. MtnCat
    1:29 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

You have the best coverage of UK football available anywhere at BBK. You fill a big hole here at KSR, look forward to your observations and opinions as well as all things Wildcat football.

25. Football Man
    1:32 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Welcome Aaron! I want football to be as big as basketball! 1. Giant “K” @ midfield. 2.”Pattern of Excellence” in endzone. 3. Play “Blue Moon of Kentucky” like “Rocky Top”.4. White helmets w/”K” on the side & stipe down the middle. 5. Just the “K” logo not UK so we are not copied like Houston & Buffalo. 6. “GO CATS” to be said like “ROLL TIDE”. 7. Play classic rock music @ games. 8. Blue/white shaker poms in seats. 9. Bring back song “We’re From Kentucky”. 10. Play song “K-E-N-T-U-C-K-Y Means Paradise”. 11.More parking lots for tailgating. 12. Parking pass for all season ticket holders. 13. Brick up outside of Commonwealth. 14. Cat scatch hand gesture rah rah eat’em up!. 15. Play cat scatch fever. Play look what the cat dragged in. play cats in the cradle. play blue moon. play blue bayou……….ect.

26. Beatle Bum
    1:49 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

My advice: Don’t read these comments.

27. Beatle Bum
    1:51 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

How old is Ross. I heard he is older than most in his class. Also heard he is a father. Finally, heard he may be a risk. I know you think he is a stud, but is he good for Joker?

28. MammaKin

Year four – 5-8
    Year five – 5-8

NEW COACH

ect.
    ect.
    ect.

What you have here is UK football……stop trying

30. Levi
    1:59 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Good luck Aaron! I fear this is going to be like writing a State of the Union speech in a giant playpen for you.

31. LOLUKFOOTBALL
    2:01 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

I love UK basketball. Care less about the football.

UK football = turtle on it’s back. No matter how hard it can’t turn over. And if it ever does it’s still a stinking turtle among Cheetas

32. Manbearpig
    2:07 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

So far liking what I see…nice first post

33. UKfanNKY
    2:21 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Welcome aboard Aaron. Glad to see we will get MORE FOOTBALL updates!!!! As for all you haters and idiots that don’t have anything positive to say why even comment NOBODY cares what you loosers have to say!!!! GO CATS!!!

34. Aaron Cordero
    2:28 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Wow- interesting crowd.

What I know….Joker Phillips is committed to Operation Win. I heard it over and over again the term “Operation Win” was lame. I can’t tell you how many times I heard “Operation Win-less”. The bottom line is you can’t build a football program in a couple of years. You just can’t do it. The team last year should have won 8-9 games, but didn’t. 2011 will be a new year and the team has a chance to be good. While they can beat anyone they play, they can lose to anyone they play. Gotta play sound football.

I’ll be more than happy to give my opinion on recruits and will do that with my Recruiting Outlooks. However, when we do an interview, we have to report the facts. There is a fine line that must be walked when calling recruits. I have heard it all from recruits. You would be amazed.

I think Joker has control of this team now. I think adding Minter was huge. I still think Steve Brown’s days are numbered. I’ve even heard talks that the changes at WV could bring back a former coach to coach the secondary. However, that is just rumor at this point. Personally, I think Brown is a great secondary. I don’t care who the DC last year was, it wouldn’t have been pretty either way.

In regards to the comment about Calipari and Joker and recruiting. It’s true. Most sites coverage of basketball recruiting has went downhill since Cal too over the job. Pretty much circle the the top 10 players in the country and then start your debate about which players he is going to sign. Joker is in a different boat. He has to sign 25 players every year. That means he has to recruit at least 5 times that number.

Say what you will, Joker Phillips and his staff are getting it done on the recruiting trail. Last year’s class was solid and this year’s class is off to a great start. I think UK will add one or two more commitments within the next 5-7 days (after camp). I believe UK will add 2-3 more commitments between now and the end of summer. That will leave the staff with some wiggle room. I don’t get caught in star rankings and neither do the coaches. However, the 2012 class is poised to be the best on paper in a long time.

35. Brandon
    2:40 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Joker isn’t getting anything ‘done’ in recruiting. 11th in the SEC out of 12 isn’t anything different than what we’re used to. We pick up the scraps out of Tennessee and Georgia, and once a decade we’ll strike gold with a three star like Randall Cobb. You can’t build a 10 win team that way, and we never will with the competition that we go against every year.

36. MD
    2:51 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Good post on #34. I like to hear insights like that and then interpretaions on them.

37. Snowedball
    2:51 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

At least we dont have to lie, cheat, and borrow loaner vehicles for entire semesters to beat an “also ran” SEC team in a bowl game.

38. JBR
    3:05 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Thanks Aaron…good update.

39. Jason
    3:06 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

#35 – That’ interesting. Also interesting is that our bunch of “scraps” have been able to beat the likes of LSU, Florida State, Clemson, South Carolina, Georgia (twice), and arkansas twice in a row, all in addition to owning louisville. If you can’t see that our recruiting is steadily getting much better, then you haven’t been paying attention. We already have two 4 stars in this early class.

Aaron, please don’t take these comments seriously. Most of the people posting them are little kids who are obsessed with the John Wall dance and who have just learned how to work the keyboard. Keep it up, us real UK fans (and football diehards) are listening in intently.

40. Hard Hittin' CAT
    3:14 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Welcome to KSR Aaron. I’ve been reading BBK for over a year and enjoy the in-depth football news and reviews. You’ll have to pardon some of the ignorant ranters, haters, and low down dirty snitches that post comments around here. I believe most of them to be loserville dirty bird fans anyways.

I’m a huge football fan. I’m as big of a UK football fan as I am of UK basketball if not more. In actuality, I don’t really get too chatty on here until football season gets close. Nothing like getting all hyped up and hitting somebody in the chest as hard as you possibly can to get your blood rushing! By the way, Danny Trevethan is a beast!!

GO CATS!

41. Brandon
    3:24 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

#39 – It’s also interesting that we haven’t beaten Tennessee and Florida (the two teams that we actually care about beating) in decades. Keep accepting mediocrity, pal… wake me up when we actually win nine games in a season.

42. Football Man
    4:46 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

I love football & basketball! I watched every basketball game on t.v. , but I went to 10/13 football games! That’s puttin’ ur money where your mouth is!

43. BigBlueMan
    4:48 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Welcome and from a long time football fan, thanks! Looking forward to enhanced football coverage!!

44. BillDozer
    4:50 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

This is a great addition to KSR. I love your current website. Best UK recruiting site there is, regardless of sport.

The thing that gets me the most with some of the half-ass fans…is that they are UK basketball fans, not UK fans. I love the guy who gives the next 8 years of predictions. You outed yourself as an idiot who doesnt pay much attention to football.

You have us going 5-8 a few seasons. We play a 12 game season (every now and then a school will play 13 games, but not at UK..maybe only if probation is involved). We will only exceed the amount if we go to the SEC title game and/or a bowl game. If we win 5 games, no way we play 13 total.

I love all UK sports…I don’t get it at all why people find it so ‘cool’ to bash other UK sports.

45. Bundy
    4:50 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Welcome aboard Aaron. Excited to have a some football reports coming our way.
    Please excuse the “Negative Nancy’s” that refuse to just skip this post, and go to the next bball post. They truly can’t help themselves…

46. Bundy
    4:53 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

44- I’m with you. I don’t care if it’s a Hop-Scotch competition. If they have UK on there jersey, I’m for’em.

47. ebell55
    5:14 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

To all you UK football recruits keep in mind that we are always in the top 25 in attendence and any fool can get a computer and post negative comments! UK fans will fill the stands and cheer for you come on and join us the Big Blue Waters feel fine!!!

48. PuddingTime
    7:10 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Hell yes! Welcome aboard Aaron. BBK is the best UK football site out there, extremely excited that you’ll be combing forces w/these guys. This is excellent, excellent news.

49. FanInNWLex
    7:17 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

Seriously, any half-assed basketball fan who ridicules our football team is either:
    a) Effiminate
    b) Afraid of football because it might hurt them
    c) Not a UK fan period
    d) A prick in real life
    e) Insecure in every conceivable facet of the word
    f) A bandwagon jumper/front runner who makes up any BS excuse to root for another football program.
    g) (coincidentally the correct answer) All of the above.

50. UKFootballGirl
    9:52 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

If you could care less about football, then why are you even reading and commenting on this post???? Leave it to the real UK fans who support UK and all their programs. Why put other teams down just because you dont like the sport. I bet you werent even a basketball fan during the Billy G years, its called the band wagon. Real fans support their teams through good and bad and I am a huge UK Football fan with season tickets. I have followed Aaron for a few years now and am excited to see him join KSR. He does a great job!

51. stillabluecat
    10:33 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

good luck Aaron ur probably gonna need it since you do sports rather than bs

52. Tokyo Satchel
    10:48 pm June 15, 2011 Permalink

It’s about damn time! Welcome aboard. I am so tired of reading multiple posts about some basketball recruits twitter or what T Jones ate for lunch. We may be known for being the best in basketball, and I do love watching my Kats play, but football is the king of team sports and I am happy to see someone committed to giving us the scoop.

I wish the football haters would stay away. Their negative energy brings no good to the program.

53. Jared
    12:59 am June 16, 2011 Permalink

“and once a decade we’ll strike gold with a three star like Randall Cobb”

Correct me if Im wrong but wasn’t Randall Cobb a 2 star? Jonathan Crompton was a 5 star.

Star ratings arn’t worth the paper they are printed on.