Is the Rupp upgrade a blessing or a waste

Rupp Arena Banners
Maybe it’s just me looking at the glass half empty but while trying to decide what to write about today the Rupp upgrade was the only thing that came to mind. Sorry. I am sure by now you are sick of hearing about it.

While I was excited like many of you to hear of the upgrades, part of me was disappointed.

It seems like just yesterday we were excited at the possibility for a complete overhaul of the arena. It was beautiful, remember? The fan experience and overall appearance of the arena would rival any new arena in the country (or state), but the plan was shot down moderately quickly due to poor decisions by its advocates.

Let me say I am excited for the new renovations (RIP Big Bertha), especially the painting (and cleaning) of those ducts. However, it seems like a small victory compared to last year’s expectations. Since I am not a resident of the commonwealth, I can’t help but to wonder if these upgrades are going to be a waste anyways.

If the Rupp renovation was brought up last year it is soon to be brought up again soon for the 30+ year old building, hopefully with a better proposal, once the dust settles. What if it is approved before these upgrades become obsolete? Will millions of dollars of perfectly good electronics be thrown out in five years to make way for a full Rupp renovation?

In my mind the renovation will happen within the next decade. Is it a waste to make these upgrades now with a full revamp on its way? Who knows. I think I will just try to void these thoughts and enjoy being able to tweet from the game. After all, you have to take what you can get when it is offered, right?

@Hessler_KSR

Article written by Courtney Hessler

Ashley Judd is my spirit animal. Follow me on twitter at: @Hessler_KSR

19 Comments for Is the Rupp upgrade a blessing or a waste

1. ale8
    6:46 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

Maybe since you’re not a resident, you wouldn’t realize the waste that would be hundreds of millions of tax dollars on building a new arena some of us may never even go to.

2. AirForceOne
    6:50 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

Per the release from The Lexington Center, the upgrade will be engineered so that all of the improvements can be used in a potential major overhaul of the arena. There will be no waste. At least it’s an improvement that will be aesthetically pleasing

3. CB3UK
    7:03 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

Could not care less. Rupp will be taken care of, both now, and down the road. We’re not going to run blindly into some fool plan because Louisville got a new arena. These upgrades are fine and necessary. Absolutely no point in dropping mega-bucks when Rupp is ultimately going to be replaced down the road. Meanwhile, how about figuring out why we couldn’t manage to get $2 million for WiFi at Commonwealth, a venue that serves 3 times as many people when used. The football upgrades are infinitely more exciting and important to the university.

4. john wall
    7:09 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

I wish i could unread this post. im sorry but i dont understand your picture or your quote. Thank you to all involved in updating rupp arena, its time, we are grateful

5. chimichanga
    7:29 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

I think it’s a blessing. Some new upgrades sooner rather than later, that’s a good thing. Plus we can further avoid having it be renamed McDonald’s Rupp Arena, or whatever.

6. Philippe Ward
    7:43 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

I think these small steps to upgrade is the way to go. We are in enough debt as a country and we don’t need to add more on the heads of the taxpayers. We will fill up Rupp no matter what because we are the best fanbase in College Basketball.

7. Smyrna_Cat
    8:02 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

Any money spent will reap major monetary gains. This is a little like if your AC is not working well are you going to go ahead and fix it or just wait until it dies completely in a couple of years?

8. agree
    8:07 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

Could not agree with you more. Exactly my thoughts. Solid Post!

9. Not an idiot like Courtney
    8:22 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

WTF? Did you not even read the fact that all of the new equipment will be easily transferable if/when required? Stop making terrible posts routinely on this website.

10. ukjonny9
    8:44 pm July 28, 2015 Permalink

Courtney, I have wondered the same thing. Rupp Arena funding should have been passed a year ago. Rupp is in real danger of falling out of the tourney rotation, and that would be a real loss to the city of Lexington.

Some are just small minded and stick in the past.

• CatsBy80
      8:45 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

haha what? how is Rupp in real danger of falling out of the tourney rotation? That is laughable. Does Rupp look the best on the outside? No. Does it seat 24k people on the inside? Yes. What does the NCAA care about? Money.

As long as Rupp seats a ton of people, and is centrally located within the region, then it will always be in the tourney rotation.

11. SayWha?
    12:25 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

Ok IMO it’s a waste. I get it Rupp is historic, but it’s not UK’s job to ensure downtown Lexington is thriving…I talked to a buddy who is an architect and he said the type of renovation they are talking of Rupp will easily be over 225 to 275 million. The Yum center cost 245 million. How the hell does that make sense? The greatest college basketball program ever deserves their own brand new state of the art arena. JMI does sports venue construction and investment. Partner with them. A handful of doers are paying the 50 mil for the new football facility. You mean to tell me you couldn’t get a large portion from doers for a brand new arena? Bull crap, especially if you include naming rights.not a fan of the whole renovation idea, and neither is Calipari.

• KevinM
      10:17 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

The city should be able to justify a new arena. Its not only basketball being played there; its major events year round.
      Does Rupp right now have trouble getting major events to town?

12. Grammar National Socialist
    3:40 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

There’s no such word as “anyways”. Have some respect, and capitalize “Commonwealth” as people do who have even the most rudimentary education.
    It helps readers connect with what you’re trying to say if you can at least pretend to summon up a little bit of giving two ****s about your subject matter.

• somerset bill
      11:30 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

ha. not usually into the grammer police thing, but i did do a google search on this site only for “anyways”. 2800 instances, and most seem to be by one ksr writer. and it ain’t… er… isn’t this one.

13. Charlie Waite
    10:11 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

I think a complete Rupp overhaul is a long past idea. I believe that UK is already looking into building a new arena. And if so, I’m glad of it.

14. Dear John
    10:13 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

I heard from some local architects in the know that Eli Capilouto and company want to build a new arena on Campus and did not want to update Rupp. It’s best we get these new things now because in 10 years Rupp prob won’t be home to our Wildcats anymore.

15. BigBlueComingAtYou
    10:28 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

The upgrades are a long time coming and are a welcome addition to an aging arena. When the time comes, UK will have the best arean in the country. For now, the money is better spent on football and the campus as a whole.

16. UKBlue1!
    10:41 am July 29, 2015 Permalink

Glad to see the improvements for the 40th season in Rupp. UK will eventually be in a new arena on campus before 2030. The bad news I am afraid it will probably only seat 20,000 people and be heavy on corporate boxes. This means the average person will find it even harder to get a ticket.