Is The Black Jersey In The Future?

black-jersey

Ahh, the black jerseys.  They’re on sale to those of you that are interested in going against the grain or have a tailgate-themed funeral this weekend.  But will Kentucky wear them at any point this season?  We don’t know yet.  We’re too busy trying to convince Cal to cough up the cash for thirteen pairs of Marty McFlys.

Article written by Thomas Beisner

49 Comments for Is The Black Jersey In The Future?

1. dandy don
    2:19 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

that looks like shit. That jeresy is definitely not dandy

2. cbgroves
    2:22 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

Is it just me, or do all the jerseys they sell fans look like shit compared to the ones the players wear? Ours dont even have the “whiskers” on the front like the players’

3. nybrasky
    2:23 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

That’s just to make Lorenzen look slimmer.

4. stevem
    2:25 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

blue and white.

5. dontgoanywhere
    2:25 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

Black jerseys? No!!!

6. SweetTeaMob til I DIE
    2:25 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

Sick! PLEASE wear these against Louisville!

7. HUBER
    2:28 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

Saw them at AllSports today at the Fayette Mall if you want one. Looks even more horrible in person though!

8. SweetTeaMob til I DIE
    2:28 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

Hopefully they would get black helmets too

9. Missing Offense
    2:32 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

where can you buy these?

10. Caud
    2:33 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

Where is that? Not big on the black, but I can’t find anywhere to buy the new jerseys

11. The Rod
    2:35 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

“I don’t care what color they are honestly,We’re here. This jersey is our jersey. Everybody outside, you’re not in here so I don’t want to wear it. So whatever.”

12. Z.Rex
    2:36 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

6) If they do, the should change the front to “The Ton”. You know, just to mock them a little more.

13. HUBER
    2:38 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

If you want any and all UK gear, AllSports has it all. Picked up a Nike White auto basketball for my wife when she hits The UK Women’s Clinic with Coach Cal coming up.

14. Thomas Beisner
    2:38 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

11: well done.

15. Boone's Butcher Shop
    2:38 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

Too many whiners would complain about the black uniforms so UK doesn’t even try. Some here are already crying about it. A black alternate would be awesome. Black is used by a lot of teams even though black is not their color. Oregon and Duke use it just to name a couple.

16. bear trap
    2:40 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

Black Jerseys are for schools like VT and Miami…..not UK. We are BLUE and WHITE. This goes for football and basketball. Why add a new color to the ones weve had for 60+ years.

17. SweetTeaMob til I DIE
    2:42 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

With flat black helmets… oooooohhh. Thats #fly

18. bear trap
    2:42 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

I sure hope black jerseys are not in the future. Black Jerseys are for schools like VT and Miami…..not UK. We are BLUE and WHITE. This goes for football and basketball. Why add a new color to the ones we already have.

19. UK Jerry
    2:43 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

Should wear the blk for 9/11 then auction them off for charity

20. Caud
    2:44 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

Does allsports have the white ones too?

21. Mike
    2:47 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

Blah. Prefer the blue or white. I do like the incorporation of the jockey silks… I also realize that players want black jerseys, but how many of them are from here and really understand the importance of the blue and white?

22. dandy don
    2:49 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

#19 – if we wore black jerseys, then the terrorists would really win

23. Dumbledore
    2:49 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

Kige Ramsay would be proud.

24. SweetTeaMob til I DIE
    2:50 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

16&18- They aren’t adding black as a school color. Black can be used in any uniform without adding it as a school color. Do you not remember when the basketball team wore the black uni’s a few years ago?

25. Moses
    2:50 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

I will no longer purchase ky football merchandise again. In the rudeness matt jones was dishing out in the call in show today saying we will never get a coach that wants to come coach ky. So if UK is sayin playing 4 western kentuckies and hope we beat Vandy tO a bowl I say screw getting screwed

26. SweetTeaMob til I DIE
    2:53 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

25- Kentuckies? Try again hoss.

27. Moses
    2:53 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

I will no longer purchase ky football merchandise again. In the rudeness matt jones was dishing out in the call in show today saying we will never get a coach that wants to come coach ky. So if UK is sayin playing 4 western keFntuckies and hope we beat Vandy tO a bowl I say screw getting screwed

28. SweetTeaMob til I DIE
    2:56 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

You guys are idiots! Yeah, we don’t ever want to get rid of our blue and white. But that means we can’t wear black? You mean to tell me you have never purchased a black Kentucky shirt? The “UK2K” shirt for example? Smdreads at all of you!

29. Keith
    2:58 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

That jerseys is SWEET!!!!!Gotta wear them at least one game. Much better than Maryland or Georgia

30. Kyle
    3:06 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

I would be okay with a little black in them, but that jersey pictured above is HIDEOUS. The blue sleeves look stupid. Wow, I hope they don’t wear those during the year.

31. thats budda
    3:06 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

Take the blue off the sleeves and make it all black it would be OK. The way it is, meh, not so much

32. SexnNursinHomes
    3:08 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

derrrr takin” errrr jobbbssss

33. bung
    3:15 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

blue and white fb and bb

34. Jason
    3:25 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

These have to be real. The way these things are licensed means they have to be. They have the complete design of the normal uniforms. It has been said that Joker will only let the team wear the black uniforms (which DO exist) if they start 4-0 (which would have to include beating Florida in our 4th game).

The black uniforms have always existed with the new ones we got. Those are them. OBVIOUSLY, they look terrible there. Those aren’t authentic. Even the normal new blue/white ones that are for sale like that black on above look like crap, but the real ones the team wears look AWESOME (they looked awesome vs wku). Those black uniforms, the real ones, will look freakin’ amazing. Good to finally see them.

35. Brentton Akers
    3:41 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

I’ve always wanted them to bring out black jerseys from time to time. As a player it really is a lot of fun to wear something different. I remember when I played basketball in high school we had a alternate black jersey(our colors were blue and white) and we wore them once during the year and during tournaments. It’s just a nice feeling and gets you pumped!

36. KYBLUE
    4:13 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

um 34 im pretty sure they have worn these black unis before, unless im getting that confused with the ones the bball team wore 3 years ago.

37. 44 Stitches
    4:17 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

It would look a lot better if the sleeves were blue and white instead of blue and black.

38. Chris
    4:39 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

Love them this is not the old times if we are going to lure in some talent we need to change it up a little can’t wait for the new Lebron jerseys too get with the times people I love my cats too!

39. SuperTroy
    4:42 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

Obviously the jersey they sell to the public is a generic version. They don’t have names, and rarely feel anything like the real ones.
    My opinion, (from a life-long fan,) is that they should wear the black “alternative” jerseys on very special occasions. Notre Dame wears alternate green jerseys and their football tradition can rival any in the nation. We have new blue and white ones, and those two colors will never change. But, if Joker gives the players a major goal, (like going 4-0,) then I say let the players wear what they dig. They are the ones wearing them afterall. Plus, I doubt Coach Phillips is gonna try and recruit any of us old fools by selling the image of the program. And those black jerseys are good for the image of the program, especially to recruits.

40. Football Man
    5:34 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

Wear them to beat Tn. Black & Blue!

41. kyfan
    5:34 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

People who don’t like them just they are black are stupid! This is 1950 times change and if the players like them then we should wear them.

42. travis
    6:56 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

It’s not whether a 50 year old reading KSR likes them. It’s whether the 17 year old recruit likes them. Heck Archie Goodwin dropped Baylor because of uniforms.

43. travis
    6:59 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

It doesn’t matter if a 50 year old from Cynthiana likes them. What does matter is if the all-state running back from Georgia likes them.

BTW if it was up to me UK would have blue, white, gray, and black helmets, jerseys, and pants. And we’d wear black shoes.

44. INCatFan
    8:33 pm September 9, 2011 Permalink

Definitely should wear these!! Would really look good against Louisville!!!!

45. Lloyd Christmas
    1:43 am September 10, 2011 Permalink

I think we should wear these with black pants and the blue helmets against Florida or Tennessee.

Come out to AC/DCs “Hells Bells” on the brand-spankin’-new sound system with an accompanying video. I get goosebumps thinking about it, especially if it were a night game.

46. Adam
    8:31 am September 10, 2011 Permalink

Please let the pants be blue and black checkered too…

47. tag
    11:55 am September 10, 2011 Permalink

I like it. A change of pace is always a little exciting. Gets the players up for a big game and I cant wait to see them wear them.

48. BluegrassBoy
    1:56 pm September 12, 2011 Permalink

Fuuuuggggleeeeee. Even Western got rid of their black-for-black-sake jerseys. They’re over. And earlier writer was right–why do the replica
    jerseys look like crap compared to the real ones? Especially the sleeves–they’re longer than golf shirts.

49. bluegrassboy
    2:04 pm September 12, 2011 Permalink

Look, they’re over. Not to mention just plain fugly. Even Western got rid of theirs this year. If you want a special design to for the Tennessee annual loss, use a blue & white checked helmet and/or jersey–not just the sleeves. Out “checkerboard” ’em. And I agree with the earlier writer–these replica jerseys always look like crap and nothing near the real ones. Especially the sleeves–they’re longer than golf shirts!