Is Kentucky keeping Louisville out of the SEC?

uk-louisville

Chuck Oliver, a radio host in the ATL, is saying the SEC wants Louisville but Kentucky is saying no. According to Oliver, Louisville has a chance of joining if it becomes a 16-team conference but UK has the power to keep Louisville out as a 14th addition.

If the SEC expands to just 14 teams, the conference prefers that 14th team to be Louisville. Kentucky does not and it has veto power, in effect, for any school within its borders. This is the same arrangement for Florida, Georgia and South Carolina regarding FSU, Georgia Tech and Clemson. As such, if membership is capped at 14 the league will have to go elsewhere for that final addition.

Oliver runs ChuckOliver.net and calls himself “The King” so I don’t know how credible he is. Still, it’s an interesting bit of news – if we can call it that.

I like the idea of Kentucky single-handedly keeping Louisville out of a major conference. It’s like the baby brother trying to play with the big kids on the block but big bro doesn’t want the little one to get hurt.

Go play with your other friends and leave us alone.

Chuck’s Big Blog | SEC Wants Louisville As 14th Member

Article written by Drew Franklin

90 Comments for Is Kentucky keeping Louisville out of the SEC?

1. njcatfan
    1:29 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

The great mustache said it best… this is about keeping Pitino out of the SEC if true. Good, screw the tards.

2. bubbles
    1:29 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

I have conflicting opinions on this. I want lville to realize they aren’t a football school and get smashed every year and will pitino whine like he does now if he had to play UK and uf twice a year. On the other hand, I dont want commuter ghetto trash pulling up in rims embarrassing our state at tailgates.

3. KyMike
    1:31 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

so now loserville fans will say we are scared. great. but i definitely do not want them in the SEC. let them go “dominate” CUSA..tards

4. Mr Schwump
    1:32 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

Pure unadulterated bullshit.

5. Scaredy Cats
    1:35 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

Scared that little brother has now surpassed big brother and will show you up?

6. wondering
    1:35 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

How uofl and WV compare in academics since this guy is saying academics is part of what kept WV out…I agree total BS

7. Blasphemy
    1:35 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

Ya, I’m going to go ahead and say this is a bunch of b.s. Why the **** would the SEC want UofL. Mizzou, W.V.U., hell, even Kansas provide more market value. This guy is full of crap.

8. Carl
    1:36 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

From a basketball standpoint, Louisville would be a good addition. The ACC is going to dominate basketball (will be weak sisters in football) if they add UCONN to the league. UK will need some quality opponents in the SEC if they want to continue to dominate recruiting. Duke, NC, UCONN etc will be able to sell their conference (with a lot of assistance from ESPN I’m sure). SEC could pick up Louisville and/or Kansas to maintain a high quality of basketball.

9. KyMike
    1:36 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

5) yes, you caught me. I’m really scared that you surpassed us with that HUGE win on saturday. get outta here with that BS

10. RJ
    1:36 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

I usually break all of my news through the Shannon of Atlanta radio too.

11. the big dog
    1:37 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

Why would the SEC want Louisville over West Virginia? WVA brings better teams and a whole state to the table. Loserville brings half a city.

12. That Gator Ate My Wildcat
    1:37 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

That’s a laugh. Someone planted that idea to get Louisville some notice.
    City College ain’t SEC material.

13. Hartline
    1:39 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

Number #8 good thing the SEC cares about basketball… oh wait..

14. Joke
    1:40 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

HOW CREDIBLE IS THAT??? YOU ARE LINKING FROM ANOTHER BLOG. ANYONE CAN JUST MAKE THAT UP AND SAY UK IS DOING THAT!

15. ChicagoCat
    1:41 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

Louisville brings literally nothing to the SEC from a money, recruiting, and viewership standpoint. I highly doubt the SEC has even considered Louisville as its 14th member. Its a stretch to imagine them as plan B for a 16th member, much less option #1 for a 14th.

16. The Noid
    1:42 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

Complete BS.

17. Inside Your Mind
    1:43 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

5. No, we just don’t want trash in our conference. Besides, UL wouldn’t be any better off than UK in football in the SEC. You guys would be doormat #2. It doesn’t matter anyway. This story is complete BS. The SEC does not want UL. It doesn’t do anything for the conference. The UL fan base is confined to Jefferson County and doesn’t bring anything to football which is driving the whole conference expansion thing.

18. Steve
    1:43 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

This BS is being pushed by Jody Demling and others of his ilk. Including Matt Jones (I guess for ratings)

When someone credible sources it then I will believe it, otherwise it’s nothing more than BS being pushed by a Kool-Aid drinker to gain sympathy. Their AD got caught with his pants down and they are desperate to take the focus off of that.

If there were ANY truth to this the Birmingham and Atlanta papers would be all over it. There has not been a peep from them.

19. Marv13
    1:44 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

I want UofL in the SEC. We get to play them more than once a year in hoops, and the football game becomes a conference game so we can add another easy out of conference W.

You want pressure on UK to invest more $ in the football program? I can’t think of anything that would pressure them to spend $ on football more than trying to stay ahead of a UofL program that is in the SEC.

20. Gregg
    1:45 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

I want ul bad to be able to play them twice a year come on can u imagine atlanta with ul and ky and to see them get demolished in football hell yea bring them on

21. Thick Rick
    1:47 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

Am I the only one who wants UL in the SEC. I love this idea. We would instanatly have the most heated rivalry in all of sports. We would play 2 or even 3 times a year in basketball and the games would actually matter. Playing UL first week in March?!! Are u kidding? That should be what every basketball fan wants.

22. SexnNursinHomes
    1:48 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

5-Scared?? BAHWAHAHAHAH!

typical ul fan— was nowehere to be found the 4 yrs we rocked that ass. but as soon as you squeeze by with a win, you are over chest thumpin’ typical

Let me remind you. UK has more football wins and head to head wins against ul

UK has more basketball wins and head to head wins than ul.

only thing that ul has UK beat in—STDS from gay sex and police arrests.

23. Kernel Sanders
    1:49 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

Why would the SEC want UofL when it has 35% of the Louisville market anyway (UK fan base) and the Louisville media already carries SEC coverage via UK? Adding UofL to the SEC gains the SEC nothing… no new media market, no statewide following, no big football $$. BS

24. JMSmith589
    1:50 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

Do people not realize that if we don’t have U of L in the SEC we will all but lose them as a rival? I would love to have them in the SEC. Otherwise we will never be able to play them in football. Also keep in mind, what are the biggest rivalries in the country? Duke-UNC, Michigan-Ohio State… those are in conference games. If we make UK-UL an in conference game them we will make it a much bigger deal, 12 other teams will start caring as soon as they are in our conference, that being the other teams in the SEC. Our game is national and fun to watch but this way we would have people who CARE about the game. There will be other people and teams with a stake in our game, I think this would only benefit us.

25. Huck13
    1:52 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

My opinion is that if the powers that be in the SEC want Louisville over the likes of: FSU, Clemson, Va Tec and a hand full of others, they need to be removed from the selection process immediately, fired and then driven to Louisville to be kicked out on the street in downtown.

I have a hard time believing any of that is true. Louisville adds very little to the SEC.

26. DREAM GAME
    1:53 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

Make this happen. Every thing about this I like. KSR needs to make a movement to Push UL tomthe SEC. I WANT THIS TO HAPPEN NOW!

27. Big Blue 66
    1:53 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

This is about money, and it would be a stupid move to add a school that would add half a city in one small state. On top of that, Im sure we would prefer FSU or Miami or Clemson and SC and Florida said no, so why would UK say yes.

28. Aint Skeert
    1:54 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

It makes no sense for the SEC or UK to add Daville. UK dominates the market around here anyway so you don’t gain a thing. As for UK – why give up the only distinct advantage you have in football recruiting (being in the SEC) to your in-state rival?

Finally, it’s not like the state of KY is split 50 / 50 on team allegiance. I’d say it’s more like 70 / 30 in favor of UK and long term 80 / 20 the farther UL gets from success in either major men’s sport.

29. Big Blue 66
    1:58 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

If the SEC had any balls, it would call up Oh St,(not saying they would listen), thats the only program that brings top notch football, solid basketball and solid academics with a huge following. And if the SEC did turn West Virginia away, which i heard but not confirmed, then we already have some pretty good schools already on board

30. Dude
    1:59 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

I say let em in. It would be funny watching them play a real football schedule every year.

31. Blood Bowl
    2:00 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

Louisville will not want to join the SEC for one simple fact: they will lose their beloved beer revenue because of the SEC booze ban.
    I say keep them out.

32. Al's IndiCats
    2:01 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

I agree with #8 on either Ks. or Mizzo into the fold. Bringing Looserville brings absolutly nothing to the table…..unless your talking about a table at Porcinis!

33. Big Blue 66
    2:03 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

I bet this is Jurichs way of trying to look more attractive to the Big 10 and he hopes like hell someone calls his number…………and its not happenin…….lol lol

34. Joke
    2:04 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

Hey Drew I was talking to some buddies about adding Centre’s football program to the SEC, I can send you quotes..could you write a post about it? Thanks bro!

I’m credible enough right? I call myself “Sex Panther” also! Make it happen!

35. Big Blue 66
    2:05 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

28. State wide, Im born and raised in Paducah, and now live in Louisville, and outside the 264 loop, the state is 95% UK. Paducah and western kentucky has about 4 people that moved their from louisville that consists of their fanbase in that part of the state.

36. Blood Bowl
    2:06 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

I would rather have Boise St instead of duh-ville.

37. NotUL
    2:07 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

Louisville makes zero sense in the SEC no matter how you analyze it. If they need a 16th team that bad, then it would be much more logical to offer Cincinnati over UofL. At least you get the southern Ohio TV market and they could play some of the bigger football games at the pro stadium.

38. Gregg
    2:08 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

Who cares about tv market as fans I want good rivalry and I would love to watch uk beat the shit out of ul 3 times a year we are going to 16 team super confer so if ul dont get in I dont think we play them in football the whole landscape is bout to change and a playoff is comin

39. Opti
    2:10 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

The article in yesterday’s NY Times had the best explanation of who may be considered and why.

If Louisville is the answer, than I am confused about the question.

40. average fan
    2:12 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

Screw Tom Jurich and screw Louisville. I hope they get left out in the cold.

41. JMSmith589
    2:13 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

38. Agreed

42. UKGoBigBlue
    2:16 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

The ACC & apparently no other conference wants UL, so why in the hell would the SEC want UL !!

If UL joined the SEC, UL would never ever ever again get within smelling distance of being good in football or baseball. UL would have to give up their Beer sales & UL can’t afford to give up their beer sales. UL fans don’t want to see their football team getting pounded by teams of the likes of Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn, u get the point.

Financially, it doesn’t make sense for UL to join the SEC.

43. Joke
    2:19 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

#38 who cares about tv market? The SEC! It’s all about cash! They don’t care that you wanna beat UofL 3 times a year…they care about the millions of dollars they get for selling tv rights to their games!

44. CATS
    2:27 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

24- I completely agree with you. I want the UK/UL rivalry to go national in both football and basketball. Right now, there are not many people outside of the state who are that interested in seeing the two teams play. If you put them in the same conference, then the rivalry would heat up to unprecedented levels, much like the UNC/Duke rivalry. Why? Because as long as Louisville is not in our league, we (as UK fans) will always have the “we’re better than you b/c we play in a better league” argument. If you take that away, then the contest becomes a bitter fight for bragging rights that will last throughout the entire year. I doubt this rumor is true that Kentucky is keeping them out of the SEC, but if it is then I think we need to reevaluate. Having two schools from our state in the SEC is good for the Commonwealth, good for the rivalry, and great for the fans. It may not be the most financially profitable move for the SEC as far as expanding to new television markets, but I don’t think that it would be that bad of an option.

45. ATB (Always True Blue)
    2:34 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

I don’t believe UofL is even in the mix at the moment although it would be a good get for the conference as far as a solid basketball and football school. With that said, I still think there is a possibility that the SEC adopts A&M, Mizzou, Kansas, and K-State. The numbers make sense and it basically wraps up the southeast. I see no way that Notre Dame ends up in the SEC due to the revenue sharing policies. Notre Dame would be foolish to enter any conference affiliation in Football. Notre Dame is in the top 7 of every major TV market already what do they have to gain. I think WVU would fit if it weren’t for their academic issues. I think it is navaigating more and more to be A&M, Mizzou, Kansas, and K-State. Sews up the entire Southeast football picture with the exception of Texas, Oklahoma, Miami, Florida State, Clemson, and Va Tech which there is not a legitimate shot at. If the SEC does this, they will not only have the best Football conference but also the best basketball conference in the land.

46. lpool003
    2:48 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

Listen, this is 100% a publicity stunt to get hits. There is no credibility behind this “article” whatsoever as evidenced by the most recent report showing the SEC has offered Mizzou the 14th spot. Louisville brings absolutely nothing to the SEC. When you compare UofL to the other teams being sought after by the SEC, they look like an absolute joke in terms of marketability, revenue streams, recruiting and just overall expansion as it is located within a state that already has 1 SEC team. UofL fans will argue they are #1 in profits every year, but they get most of that money from alcohol sales (which would be gone if they were to join the SEC) and the fact that the dollar figure is self-reported. Compound all these statistics with the fact that the ACC has already basically turned them down and you arrive at the only conclusion there is, nobody wants UofL…

47. footballguy42
    2:49 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

If someone has to call himself the king then i am willing to bet this has no merrit.

48. ukbill
    2:53 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

Yeah, just like South Carolina is blocking Clemson from getting an SEC offer.

49. Ben
    2:56 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

You can find anything on the net! No facts to back this up. Just Matt trying to stir things up! Good job Matt.

50. lpool003
    2:58 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

also, the writer of that article cites academics as the reason the SEC does not want WVU but have they even looked at the stats? Uofl is ranked at #164 (according to the USNews college academic rankings) which is EXACTLY TIED WITH WVU, so good point on why WVU is out but UofL would be in..

51. Cat in the Hat
    3:08 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

How do you say UL is horrible in football after they beat us Saturday handily? WOW

52. john c
    3:09 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

I would love to see louisville in sec. I’m a ky and card fan, and their inclusion in sec would be great.

53. ukjonny8
    3:09 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

Remember how Jurich patted himself on the back for keeping us out of the YUM center. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

54. Usernametaken
    3:14 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

I don’t buy it. Why would the SEC want Louisville? They offer absolutely nothing expansion wise. The SEC already has the Louisville TV and recruiting market with UK. The SEC already has the entire state with UK for that matter.

55. sean from htown
    3:22 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

embarrassing makes the cats look like scared little bitches. we do not want to look like the university of texas. a bunch of greedy spoiled punks that are scared of competition

56. Eddie C
    3:23 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

talk about fear and loathing in lexington. the fact is, some uk fans are scared sh_tless at the possibility of little brother being judged on the same scale. Your football program is on the way down. The cards are on the way up. Cal is one step away from getting the cats a multi year probation from the ncaa. the only factor is time before some pro owner sends a g6 for cal to split in the middle of the night just ahead of the fanatical blue hairs that will be burning his house down. while, rick seems to be getting some new fire in the few years he has left. if the cats and cards played two or three times last year, louisville would have lead the series. i think the cards will win this season, just a feeling so far granted but it feels good.

57. Glord
    3:26 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

I live in Atlanta and listen to Chuck Oliver almost every day. He pretty well connected and credible. He also has no bias against or for UK. Most of his rumors have legs.

58. William
    3:31 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

53- Louisville in the SEC and UK gets the game they want in the YUM Center, EVERY YEAR. Lot’s of Big Blue in Jefferson County would like to see that.

59. CATS
    3:31 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

After reading the comments of one of Louisville’s finest fans at #56, I hereby retract my statement about wanting Louisville to join the SEC. What was I thinking..

60. Let's Get Real
    3:35 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

52 – seriously? pick a side and move on. Actually, no, be a quadnil fan. BBN doesn’t want you.

61. big tim
    3:35 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

i would love them to join we can be them twice a year in bball and watch louisville get there @$$ kicked in football they will be like bring us back to the big east

62. Let's Get Real
    3:38 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

56 – Rick’s “new fire” is in his pants. I bet he feels better now too since he must be using the right cream.

63. Huck13
    3:50 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

24, 44 and several others…. whew, what is your problem, don’t understand much or are like most of the KY politicians, understand what’s best for you personally.

As for your CARE speak, no one in the SEC is going to CARE at all about UL or UK/UL match ups. We are both more or less useless in football and they don’t care about basketball. Neither team will ever matter nationally in football – every year like some in the SEC are and we will never match them.

Where did this come from, “Do people not realize that if we don’t have U of L in the SEC we will all but lose them as a rival?” Why would we lose them, we can all ways have what we have now. What does it matter if we did?

I don’t care what you think personally, if you can think that far out of your box, how will UL in the SEC make the SEC better?

64. blitzedanddazed
    3:54 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

I hope U of L rots on the vine. I can’t imagine the SEC with the likes of James Ramsey, Tom (Rebecca Mann) Jurich,
    and Ricky Three Stacks whining about their schedule, their money and their loser lives in general.
    Tom Jurich is the most hated AD in the Big East. Why do you think no other Big East school wants to partner with
    Loserville in a move to the ACC.

65. B
    3:57 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

uk fans should want Louisville in the SEC. It would be great for our rivalry. Not only would we be battling for state bragging rights but also for regular season conference championships and conference tournament championships. The stakes would be much higher.

66. Roll Tide
    4:02 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

This is BS. Poor academics and a suitcase school. Their stadium is a piece of s…t. Small fan base.
    SEC is a football conference, UL brings nothing!

67. RoundMup
    4:04 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

68. Earnest
    4:13 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

Don’t know where this guy got his facts but on the MR. SEC site it talks about the gentleman’s agreement everyone dicusses that would give veto power to schools like UK, Georgia, South carolina, and Florida. It is understood that the gentleman’s agreement and the veto power are both bs. It is understood that the SEC can go after anyone it wants and no school can veto that decision. As point the SEC went after Florida State almost 20 years ago and Florida welcomed the decision.

69. Really??
    4:26 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

It is reported on the Mr. SEC web site that the veto powers of Universities is total B.S. and that the SEC can go after any school they want. So if the SEC wants Florida State, Clemson, Miami, Uof L, Memphis, Georgia Tech, there is no veto power by the SEC schools in those states, but the SEC is going to go after this from a business aspect and academics does play a role in their decision. They are trying to clean up the image of the SEC and adding WVU or UofL does nto do that from an academic stand point.

70. blitzedanddazed
    4:31 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

#68 thanks for the additional thoughts I meant to include in my post.

71. NotTheSlickistRick
    4:48 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

NO NO NO Not only do I not want Uofl in the SEC, I think it is time to elminate them from KY’s schedule entirely. UK has nothing to gain from ever playing the Tardinals in any sport. Let them pick up the scraps from the Big 12 & Big East or let them reform the Metro.

72. NotTheSlickistRick
    4:49 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

* eliminate

73. rick pitino
    5:05 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

after the tragic events of 9/11 how could the university of kentucky do this to louisville

74. Ira Tatum
    5:30 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

UofL does not belong in the SEC; never has, never will. UofL is a CUSA team.

75. pitino
    5:41 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

u scared bro?

76. King Dick
    6:06 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

Let them In, Besides they did beat our ass at football last week. Maybe we would have competition at the bottom of the sec east like us vandy louisville.

77. CATS
    6:34 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

I like how UL is all of a sudden “on the rise” because they beat us in football. They still got smacked by FIU. All that their win over us proves is that they didn’t suck as much as us on that particular day. If their signature win for the year is over us then I feel sorry for them. Don’t get crazy and make it seem like you’re going to be making a push for a BCS game anytime soon, maybe try making a bowl first. If anything, I don’t want them in the SEC because their school sucks in general and would only water down the SEC’s image, while providing enough line beards and lanyards for the whole conference. Louisville is the Jersey of the south. As far as Kentucky having some sort of veto power, I don’t buy it. Look up the SEC bylaws and let me know if you see anything other than there must be 3/4 vote from members in order to extend an invitation. Until then, I guess I can sit back and laugh at little brother for thinking we’re afraid of them.

78. Southern Gent
    6:50 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

The real story is that UofL and UofK are both a mid-west school, and have no business being in the South East Conference, both teams should be talking to Ohio and Indiana and start their own conference then all y’all Yankees can talk about each other!

79. Watch the throne
    7:06 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

Uk does not have lone veto power. Sec by-law states 3/4 of the schools have to reject the school trying for admission

80. tacosaucegood
    7:17 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

I’ll be the first UofL fan to admit that I enjoy Matt Jones, as he’s one of the most intelligent/witty sports bloggers on the market. That being said, 90% of you are idiots.

UofL adds nothing to the SEC? UofL had the most profitable basketball program in the country in 2010. Proof from CNN:
    ^^(proof is only based on your “blue-blooded” ability to read a chart).

SEC desperately needs more balanced schools(all sports, not just football) to keep up with the new conferences being formed. UofL has basketball, an up and coming football program (admit it), baseball, and Men’s #1 ranked soccer team.

Think of it another way – we have the opportunity to make UK vs UofL THE most heated rivalry in the country. Duke/UNC, Michigan/OSU, Texas/Oklahoma… all conference rivalries.

WVU can’t achieve academically and their profits are nothing compared to UofL. Same goes with FSU, Clemson, GT etc.

Just because you don’t like the idea of UofL in the SEC doesn’t mean it isn’t a good idea for both the state, the conference, and the schools.

81. CATS
    7:28 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

63- You should go back and read my comment a little closer. I fully admitted that bringing UL into the SEC does not benefit the SEC financially. But as for your “think out of the box” and “only understand what’s best for you personally” comments, I think you need to take a look around at the college landscape. Call me crazy, but it seems that most schools are thinking about whats in their institution’s best interest alone. The ONLY point that I made was that bringing UL into the SEC would be a good thing for the rivalry, and the state in general. I did not say that it would be good for the “general welfare of the SEC.” Given the fact that football is king, I would say that the SEC is doing just fine. We already have the best football conference in the country, and that is not going to change. But of the schools left, what “football powerhouse” do we really have a chance of bringing in? So if you aren’t going to get a great football school to come, then why shouldn’t I, as a UK fan, want a school with a good basketball program to join the SEC?

82. Keith
    9:51 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

Wow. A lot of dumb Cat fans (big surprise there). Did you ever think the SEC might want UofL for brand recognition? Yes, Louisville isn’t a traditional football school, but it has potential to be. A BCS win 5 years ago, a SEC coach (Charlie Strong), a solid recruiting class…etc. Tack on the fact Louisville has solid sports across the board (basketball, baseball, soccer), and HUGE basketball recognition, the SEC picks up a solid member. I guess taking ECU would be better than UofL since it’s in N. Carolina….sarcasm implied.

83. cards
    10:14 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

ok ive seen many of you cayout fans saying UofL brings no money to the table. are you stupid? they are the most profitable basketball program in the nation. there basketball program brings in more money than any bigeast football program. louisville basketball is #21 on the most earning teams in all sports. this move would bring in a team that UK can compete with in football while giving the big boys another team to beat up. while adding a big key to SEC basketball trying to catch up with ACC, and think how big the UofL UK rivalry would become when it isnt just one game a year for each team, when it has conference championship implications. it would surpass duke UNC rivalry as the best rivalry in the nation. UofL to SEC is a good move in my eyes!

84. Cody Fryrear
    11:29 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

This is HILARIOUS!! Kentucky won’t let UofL into a sucky basketball conference because they know pitino will take the sec championship. The only reason Kentucky isn’t letting Louisville in is because they wanta feel superior after Kentucky lost to Louisvilles terrible football team.

85. Cody Fryrear
    11:34 pm September 20, 2011 Permalink

A football program that attracted 50,500 fans per game last season, a basketball program consistently among the top five nationally in attendance, a brand new 22,000-seat arena that is the finest basketball facility in the country and the most profitable basketball in the nation, plus highly competitive and well attended non-revenue sports. ESPN sure seemed to like U of L football on Thursday nights a few years ago. What’s not to like? – yeah that’s why the SEC wants Louisvile

86. shutup keith
    6:44 am September 21, 2011 Permalink

yea. quiet. u idiot.

87. Huck13
    8:00 am September 21, 2011 Permalink

hey 85 and more you should go to the ACC

88. Scott
    8:35 am September 21, 2011 Permalink

The SEC voted weeks ago to keep teams out, that come from states that already have a member. The SEC already has the state of Kentucky, they didn’t need UL for that. This is the same reason FSU and Clemson have not been invited. Down here we hear the same crap with FSU that UF is keeping them out and it is simply not true. Now do things change, possibly, but why would the SEC want UL. What do they bring? Football powerhouse? Nope. Truly great acedemics? Nope. Huge fanbase? Nope. New TV market shares? Nope. Louisville has NOTHING to offer the SEC, same with WVU. The only reason the SEC is even looking at Mizzou is St. Louis and KC TV sets. Louisville may yet get in, but it won’t be today.

89. Teddy Bridgewater
    8:57 am September 21, 2011 Permalink

SEC just wants to make money by watching me in action. If that is not a great reason i don’t know what is.

90. Huck13
    9:53 am September 21, 2011 Permalink

81 I sure cannot answer that one. ” But of the schools left, what “football powerhouse” do we really have a chance of bringing in? So if you aren’t going to get a great football school to come, then why shouldn’t I, as a UK fan, want a school with a good basketball program to join the SEC?”

I wasn’t raised to feel this way about louisville… im a 64, but I am one of the types that would rather do without than have a bad one. I will not say that Louisville is bad, but sure cannot say that they are good. I’m of the opinion, just because you have a seat there, don’t mean you have to fill it..

….I erased what I had… I don’t think Louisville is a good match for the SEC.