Is Kentucky “Better Than That?”

“You can’t be 2-for-6 in the red zone,” Joker Phillips said in the opening statements of his postgame press conference yesterday. “You get the ball inside the 25, that’s the red zone.”

Kentucky fumbled at Louisville’s 22-yard line; missed a 42-yard field goal; fumbled at the 3-yard line; and turned the ball over at the 12-yard line.

“We’re better than that,” he added. “We’re better than that.”

“Defensively, we can’t have four drives over 76 yards,” he said. “You can’t do that.”

Louisville averaged 92 yards on its first three drives, all for touchdowns, and added another long drive on its first possession of the second half that ended with a field goal.

“We’re better than that.”

“Special forces, we have to execute our fakes,” he said. “We can’t be 1-for-2.”

Kentucky recovered an onside kick to start the second half, but failed to convert a gutsy fake punt on 4th and 14 from from its own 25-yard line with eight minutes to go in the third quarter.

“We’re better than that.”

“I think we’re better than that. I really do.”

“We’re better than that.”

BUT ARE THEY??????

I say yes. I think Kentucky is better than what we saw in yesterday’s loss. I say that because the offense moved the ball well throughout the entire game, but couldn’t capitalize on those four “red zone” opportunities. If Craig ‘Auto’ McIntosh’s field goal is five more inches left and Raymond Sanders and CoShik Williams hold on to the football, Kentucky has 17 more points on the scoreboard. I’m not saying that puts them in position to win the game, but 31 points on the road in the season opener is a solid showing for the offense and Kentucky fans walk out of The John with a little more optimism going forward.

Defensively, my reason for believing Kentucky is “better than that” is quite simple: They can’t be any worse. It is impossible to be any worse, so they have to be better. There were times during the game when I had to count the players in white, just to make sure UK was still sending 11 men out there. It was an embarrassingly lopsided contest when Louisville’s offense was on the field. Teddy Bridgewater had all day to throw; Kentucky missed far too many tackles; and I don’t know what the hell happened on Senorise Perry’s 47-yard rush in the second quarter. That looked like Pee-Wee football defense, where everyone rushes into the pile with their heads down and no ball awareness. I’d like to be a fly on the wall of the film room when that play is reviewed.

We could talk all day about UK’s defensive struggles; they gave the fans plenty of reasons to be frustrated and the responsibility falls on every position across the board. But the two guys who really stood out to me, and not in a good way, were Miles Simpson and Tyler Brause. Simpson, a former running back, is playing Winston Guy’s hybrid position, while Brause, a former quarterback, is the first guy not named Danny Trevathan to start at weakside linebacker in over two years. Both have big shoes to fill. Both struggled.

Simpson looked lost and out of place in the position Rick Minter’s unique defense relies on. He should look more comfortable as the season progresses and will hopefully be making big plays as he settles in. The hybrid position is based on athleticism and he has it. Unfortunately, he doesn’t have the experience and comprehension that’s also needed to thrive in that spot, and it showed on Sunday. But as bad as he was, I think it’s unfair to give up on him this early and I expect him to be “better than that,” even if just a little bit, after these next two home games.

Brause is in a similar situation. He made his first career start yesterday and it didn’t take long for his inexperience at the linebacker position to show. The sophomore missed a crucial tackle on 3rd and 8 when Teddy Bridgewater rushed outside and down to the Kentucky 6-yard line on Louisville’s first possession. Instead of facing a 4th and 6, the Cards only needed two yards and they were able to pound the ball up the middle for a first down inside the 5-yard line. They scored the game’s first touchdown on the next play. It didn’t get any better for Brause as he continued to miss tackles in what you could say was the game’s ugliest individual performance. Like Simpson, he was so bad that we can only assume he will be “better than that.”

So maybe Joker is right.

Maybe Kentucky is “better than that.”

And if that’s really the case, Rick Minter’s side of the ball has two games to figure it out and show us they’re “better than that” before Kentucky’s first SEC game in three weeks. A bowl game is definitely a lofty goal for this team, but they have to be better than what we saw yesterday. If they’re not “better than that,” it’s going to be lonnnnggggg football season.

Article written by Drew Franklin

136 Comments for Is Kentucky “Better Than That?”

1. No way
    9:11 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

I’m sorry, but UK just doesn’t have the talent. I looked at UL defensive players that were muscular, cut, and fast, and I saw the exact opposite for UK. We have slow, weak players. I’ve seen more pressure put on a quarterback trying to decide what shoes to wear.
    JMO, but the next UK coach will need three to five years to recover from the recruiting, development, and coaching under Joker. On behalf of a University that cannot admit failure, I apologize to the players for what’ about to happen to them.

2. Dave in Bangkok
    9:13 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Joker has shown that he can always get worse.

The past two seasons have been a steady decline.

This season is the result of deterioration of Kentucky Football under Choker.

What makes you think that he can’t put a team on the field that can’t stink it up worse than before. He has shown no improvement. It’s all been downhill.

Stop trying to make excuse and rationalize for Choker. They guy is a terrible coach.

You folks did this same thing for Tubby Smith and each year he proved that he could fall further and further and take Kentucky Basketball further and further down with him.

When will you people learn? Some folks are meant to be. Joker is not meant to be.

3. Takethoseonionsoffmysliders
    9:14 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

We are not any better than last year, when we sucked then as well. Quit sugar coating everything about the football program, you are starting to sound like Tom Leach! If it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it’s a duck. WE SUCK!!!

4. bigpops
    9:16 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

We are not better than that. Sadly we are going winless in the SEC and will struggle vs. Kent State and WKU. 3 wins is the best we can hope for. We have an immobile QB, a horrible defensive front, a horrible defensive scheme, small running backs, and a passing game that refuses to run vertical routes and take chances down the field. If Charlie Strong wasn’t looking out for Joker yesterday they would have tacked on at least two more TD’s on us. Sad times in UK football.

5. Depressedasalways
    9:19 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Just another subpar uk football team put on the field by an administration that won’t commit to football excellence. They won’t either because we nearly fill the stadium despite the on field performance. Revenue is still being generated and time goes on for uk football just like it always has.

6. hersheyisabear
    9:19 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

At first I thought it was just the first game jitters on a rival’s field but after the game progressed they convinced me that we were going down the same path as last year. I was very tickled with the improvement of our offense and how much Max Smith and the wide outs improved. Our defense on the other hand is the depressing. They looked very slow and weak. We may be able to slide by with these cupcakes we are playing but when we start Conference play I believe it will be a blow out every game. I see a 3-9 season. Ugh

7. BBN
    9:20 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

F U joker. And F U mitch. The two of you are KILLING UK football. Rich Brooks did his part to buld up the program – but you two have crapped away so quickly what too years to build up. Do the honorable thing and QUIT. Nothing will get better with you two in charge, nothing.

Board of Directors, PLEASE do your job, and fire these two turds.

8. kes
    9:20 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

i think simpson made half the tackles in the first half. BRAUSE played maybe the worst game of any football player at uk not named lones seiber that i have seen in over 50 years of watching

9. WalkersGoggles
    9:22 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

That defense was terrible. You can’t play THAT bad and be “better than that”. Joker is probably just trying to cut those kids a break. I saw no headhunters at all. We can joke about UofL being criminals but those guys at least looked like football players.

Offense looked decent compared to last year but still only put up a couple of scores.

UofL could have put 800 yards and 50 points if they needed to. They pretty much drove and scored at will.

10. BigBlueBrian
    9:22 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Caling our special teams “special forces” is an insult to the real “Special Forces”. Does choker just sit around and think up this stuff? He must because he can’t be thinking about coaching football.

11. greg1161
    9:28 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

the offense looked better than last year. finally the guy that should have “won” the starting QB spot last year, actually started. however UK still throws 90% screen passes. screens of 3-4 yards when we have 3rd and long situations. why do we have so many screen passes ? can we not throw down the field ? we all saw the defense. wow. i sat through the louisville game last year, and i made a vow not to pay to watch another game until things changed. they’ve gotten worse. thats my story.

12. Wildcat502
    9:29 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Charlie Strong took over a U of L program that was in worse shape the Kentucky. This is his third year there and he has surpassed Kentucky. Joker has been here for around 10 years and took over a 500 team. In hos third year, he has been out coached ad out recruited by Strong. Strong felt sorry for Joker and calle off te dogs, so to speak, with 5 minutes remainning in the third quarter. They could hae scored 50 on us.

13. Depreesedasalways
    9:30 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Charlie didn’t dig the knife in too deep because he want joker there so he can beat him every year. I like joker,but beginning to think he is not head coaching material. He insists on playing in the SEC running a pro style offense, with no talent. We need a more inventive offense that keeps defenses confused. Our defense? That is a baffling to me. Containment and tackling are fundamentals in football that we havent figured out.. I usually am a glass half full kind of guy, but I just don’t see it getting any better. UL is not that good of a football team either. Oh well. The rest of the season will play out.

14. PhilCC
    9:30 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Same mistakes in game preparation and Jokers lack of command of his coaching staff continue to doom the football program. I like Joker as a person but think sadly, he is not head coach material.

15. Ukbass
    9:31 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

My thing is this. Hey Joker, if we are better than that, then why didn’t we see it? If we are better than that, then you obviously cant get them to play that way. Please step aside.

16. Doug
    9:31 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Let’s face it. Going to be a long year. Stay away from the games and don’t spend any money supporting this coaching staff. Time to turn the page and get some excitement back. By the way, when is midnight madness. I need something to get me through this awful football season.

17. SexnNursinHomes
    9:31 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Our secondary. Schools are going to have record days against us. That needs to be fixed, like ASAP. Spagheddi Bridgewater hit on 90% of his passes. 90%??? that’s uncalled for.

18. CatGrad7072
    9:31 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Better than that? Ha!
    Like they say, you are what your record says you are. You are what your on-field performance says you are.
    You only look better than you are because Strong took it easy on his buddy Joker in the second half yesterday.

19. Wildcat502
    9:31 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Wow I need to proof read prior to posting, too many typos………lol. I guess that mirrors our defense, too many mistakes.

20. Obama
    9:33 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Look, you have to give Joker time. He can’t be expected to turn things around so quickly. He deserves 8 years to show what he can do. 4 MORE YEARS, 4 MORE YEARS, 4 MORE YEARS!!!

Hope. Change. Forward. Operation Win.

21. Cpacat
    9:33 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Looks like 3-9; with two of those three not guaranteed!! If Kent St’s players can figure out which way to run, they may give us trouble; and WKU…well we “supposed to be SEC”…we know how that could turn out.

22. mr. white guy
    9:34 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

As a UK fan, no. We are not good at football. U of L, a top 40 team looked like a top five team against us. I hate to see how a team like LSU or Bama looks against us.

23. chris
    9:34 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

I have two basketball season tickets I need to sell for this season. Section 211, row BB. Email me if interested. Face value. [email protected]

24. Joker
    9:37 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

I own Mitch. Trust me, he doesn’t have the ballz to do anything to me. I could go 0-12 and still get 1 more year.

I AIN’T GOING ANYWHERE

25. Joe
    9:39 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

11-15, that is Joker’s won-loss record in 2+ years. Not many people can keep their job with a performance like that. By the end of the year it will be 15-22. That is being generous and giving the team a 4-8 record this year.

It is time for the whole coaching staff to go. We need to start over.

26. JDH
    9:46 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

There’s no way Malcolm McDuffen could be worse than Brause. At least we can catch the ball now. We might win 2 games.

27. Beavis
    9:48 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Anyone that thinks the coaches are not to blame,,,well they just did not watch the game. I feel sorry for the players. Can someone tell me why when we are down by 18 points in the fourth quarter we are running the play clock down to 4 or 5 seconds on almost every possession. You would have thought we were ahead by 18 points. Was it confusion on the sidelines,,,confusion by the QB or was it the desire to try and run out the clock so we would not get beat by 30 ??

28. Yngvie Maumsteen.
    9:50 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

No we’re not better than that and it starts with the coaches.

29. Mike
    9:52 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

We have got to be the laughing stock of all of college FB, and it is a shame that we continue to showcase our total ineptitude on national t.v. That defense is the most ATROCIOUS I have ever seen. We were all told what a “bad ass” coach Minter would be and that his defensive schemes would allow us to compete in SEC. He might even be worse than his 2 predecessors. Oh excuse the mental cramp….I forgot that Indiana State was a defensive coaching factory. We were told that are guys were in better condition, faster, and would be an improved but inexperienced product. Did u all notice that there were no defensive coaches that appeared to be interviewed after the game? This is year 3 of a continued meltdown, and we are worse certainly on the defensive side. I live in Nashville and will have to put my Vandy hat back on and continue to wear it. Why not…at least they are putting am IMPROVED product on the street.

30. Micah
    9:52 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Also there was a safety at the beginning of the game that didn’t get called, instead resulted in a 99 yard drive for touchdown. If this were a basketball game all you fair weather fans would be pointing this out instead of sounding like a dumbass broken record running your mouth about Joker. Just shut the hell up y’all sound like a bunch of idiots.

31. JLivemore
    9:55 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

One thing that is absolutely unacceptable from a coaching staff is to not know what you have. If Joker turns out to be wrong, and we are not better than than, he is definitely not head coach material. Proper assessment of your team is critical.

32. Hal Mumme
    9:55 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

You can only run the bubble screen so much.

33. barn
    9:56 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

we’re not better than that and we’re going to look many times worse than that come conference play. and Micah if you think that one play would have made any difference then you weren’t watching the rest of the game.

34. CarolinaCatFan
    9:57 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Doesn’t matter if we’re better our schedule is getting ready to get a whole lot tougher. We can play better and still get rolled by the other SEC teams. Offense looked better early, but we couldn’t run the ball and other than early in the game we settled for slant passes, dump offs, and check downs. We might have been trying to go down field but it wasn’t there. We’re just not very good. Everyone talks about inexperience, but Bama played a true freshman at RB and that worked out ok for them. I really want UK to put a product on the field that we can be proud of but I just don’t see it happening. Every year I say this could be the year that we take a huge step fonward but the bottom line is we don’t have any playmakers. We’re a step behind everyone we play and I don’t think it’s going to get any better this year.

35. Kent St and WKU
    9:58 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Hahahaha, yall suck. We’re gonna come into your house (a SEC school, haha) and b!tch slap yall around. Hey UK fans, bring extra beer to your tailgate party – you’ll be back in the parking lot before halftime.

36. bigpops
    9:58 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

How could you feel sorry for the players? They were the ones getting whipped physically and doing nothing about it. You could have driven a large ATV through the holes UL’s offensive line was opening. You could have played cornhole in the gaps between their receivers and our defensive backs. We are awful. Our coaches are awful but so are a lot of our players.

37. Digger? I hardly know her
    9:59 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Any fan that goes to the kent state game and actually stays should get a refund. This program is quickly approaching crash and burn status.

38. Dirk Diggler
    10:05 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

The Cats did not look at all prepared for this game. In fact,
    this game was similar to all other games with joker as the “leader” the last two years. I have lived in Florida the last 25 years, but have always bled blue. Yesterdays game was such an embarassment I took my UK flag down at half time. There has been no, I repeat NO improvement in either the offense or defense in the last 2 years. Time for a CHANGE!

39. carnifex
    10:05 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

You need to start taking your meds again if you think we’re better than that. “Our WR’s caught the ball” Isn’t that their job? Just because they didn’t do their job last year,and do so this year that’s an improvement? That’s doing the minimum. How the hell does Aaron Boyd still have a scholarship?

“QB play was better” Yes, because we had the stumbling clusterfoxtrot from last year get hurt so bad even Joker couldn’t start him. I have no doubt in my mind that Newton would be our starter if he had been healthy.

I had 1 brief flicker of hope yesterday, and that was the initial punt fumble that UL recovered on their 1/2 foot line(the refs gave them the yard line). When we gave up a 20 yard pass on 3rd and 9 I just turned off the tv. Why the hell anyone would trust anything Joker Philips says now is beyond me. He has proven time and again to be a liar who will say anything to keep his job and that 1.7 million(that’s $1,700,000.00)per year contract. If he were an honest man, he’d give most of that money back.

40. Really?
    10:07 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Wow Wow Wow,Im a player that choose to come here and play for the BBN. Looks like alot of fans really arnt WeRUK, stay off the wagon as the season goes on please.

41. markp
    10:08 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Reminds me of the last year under Bill Curry.

HIRE BOBBY PETRINO

He’s a jerk, but most great football coaches are, and it gives him a chance to prove himself again. Nothing like a jerk with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove.

42. Twowordsforya
    10:08 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Gus Malzahn. Hire him away from Arkansas State as quickly as possible and get some excitement back in the program. He did a great job as coordinator at Auburn and I am sure he would jump at the chance to get back in the SEC. Joker Ball is a JOKE.

43. deepsouthfan
    10:09 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

UK should look at their own BBall program for a fix…You get what you pay for! Go out and pay what it takes to hire a true SEC caliber coach.

44. Big Daddy
    10:10 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Like my dad has said for years-“We’ll never have a football team so quit worrying about it. I’ve been watching them for 45 years.”

45. they who we think they are
    10:11 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

i gave up when yet another bubble screen was thrown on 3rd and 14 with 3 defenders around the receiver. WTF kind of offense is that? I don’t care if a couple worked. For every 1 bubble screen that was effective, twice as many were for ZERO or worse gain. And if I hear joker say one more time “we have to have guys make a play” I’m going to puke. How can a guy make a play when he’s not even put in a position to make a play? We have to have some amazing talent on the roster if joker thinks a receiver can break 4 tackles all at once.

46. carnifex
    10:13 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Ps,

Our hot freshman RB Mobley, is royally pissed that he got to play an entire 3 plays yesterday. Not saying it would have made a diff. It wouldn’t. But he’s got to be better than the butter fingers we got playing ahead of him.

And I can here the sunshine pumpers now. “how would YOU know?” I know because he tweeted it. The staff found out about it, and made him delete it, but it still exists.

47. they who we think they are
    10:13 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Hey 40 – you don’t like it, transfer.

48. 13th. Grade
    10:13 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

In a word, “Nope”. Even if we are better than that, it doesn’t change the score. Charlie Strong inherited a program at a basketball school that had been run into the ground. He probably couldn’t find Louisville on a map before he arrived. On the other hand, not too many coaches have been as familiar with a program as Joker was with UK before he took over. Yet, look at the difference in the programs today. If the only qualifications for being the UK coach are being born in KY, attending UK and being a nice guy, let me know where to send my resume.

49. MattJonesisTheEricDanielsofUKMedia
    10:16 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

The defense has to get alot better. The offense showed it can move the ball, they showed that they have the ability to be good, the defense showed nothing.

50. bung
    10:17 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

happy birthday Coach Rupp…

51. carnifex
    10:17 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

@42 Arky State? Jump the head coach from Arky State to the SEC? Sure. That’ll work. Especially with Bobbie Petrino jobless right now.(He would be better than Mushmouth, I have to agree there)

52. jeyhey
    10:17 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

what am i missing….why isn’t there a show today?

53. Head Bussa
    10:24 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

40 — Sorry bud. The truth hurts. I know for a fact that you guys will be extremely lucky if you win one SEC game. Good luck though man.

42 — Malzahn is a possibility. I personally don’t really think that highly of him, but I understand that a lot of people do.

Again, this is a list of a few of my ideas for the possible coaches to replace Joker (In no particular order):

Mark Helfrich — is the current offensive coordinator for the Oregon Ducks. He was previously the quarterbacks coach at Boise State, Arizona State, and Colorado. A very experienced coach and well-versed in what may be the hottest offensive system in all of college football. As a bonus, he has also been a part of the recruitment of Trinity’s James Quick and may considerably lift UK’s chances with the program-changing recruit.

David Yost — Is getting more attention as an exceptional playcaller after 11 years as a Missouri assistant. He has a great eye for talent and pointing out mismatches in his spread scheme. In 2011, Mizzou ranked ninth nationally in rushing (244 yards per game) and had one of the most balanced offenses, as Mizzou was one of only two schools in the country to average at least 230 yards rushing and passing in each game.

Trooper Taylor — One of the hottest and most successful recruiters in the SEC. He brought in and trained some elite receivers at Oklahoma State and Tennessee before making his way to Auburn. He is continuing that trend and has turned Emory Blake into one of the SEC’s best pass-catchers. He was co-offensive coordinator at Oklahoma State.

Bobby Petrino – He is a winner on the football field. Not so much of it. We all know about him and his success as the former Louisville and Arkansas head coach, but he may not even be considered based on his recent transgressions.

Paul Petrino – The Arkansas play caller now, Bobby’s brother is one good coach in his own right. In 2010, he guided an Illinois offense that broke school records for total points (423) and points per game (32.54). The Illini averaged 42.1 points and 448.9 total yards over the final seven games of the season.

Kirby Smart – Alabama’s defensive coordinator has been in charge of the nation’s overall best defense over the last five great years. A lot of fans say UK going for him is a pipe dream and he would never want to caoch at UK, but you never know for sure. He is certainly a coach to consider and try to talk to.

Todd Monken — This will be Monken’s 2nd season as Oklahoma State’s offensive coordinator. Monken spent seven seasons as Eastern Michigan’s coordinator in the 1990s before moving on. He spent three seasons as Oklahoma State’s wide receiver coach before moving with Les Miles to LSU. Monken spent four seasons as LSU’s wide receiver coach before serving in that capacity for two seasons (2009-10) with the NFL’s Jacksonville Jaguars. He returned to the college ranks last season, overseeing the offense for the best team in Oklahoma State history. His predecessor at Oklahoma State, Dana Holgorsen, is coach at West Virginia.

Bud Foster – Turns 53 in July, Foster is a perennial name on this type of list. At some point, you figure a school is going to give the Virginia Tech defensive coordinator the chance to be a head coach. He has been at Virginia Tech since 1987 and has been an assistant to Frank Beamer since 1983, when both were at Murray State, Foster’s alma mater. Foster won the Frank Broyles Award as the nation’s best assistant in 2006. His defenses annually rank among the nation’s best, especially against the run; Tech has ranked outside the top 12 nationally in total defense only once in the past eight seasons.

Tee Martin – We know all about this guy and his star in the college coaching ranks is rising quickly. He may be too green to be hired for such a job, but he could be the type of coach who is truly able to bring many high-level recruits with him to Lexington.

54. Head Bussa
    10:26 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

52 — It is Labor Day dude.

55. markp
    10:27 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

40 keep trying. We know it’s not the player’s fault. That lies on the shoulders of Barnhart and Joker.

BOBBY PETRINO

1. Great success on field.
    2. No NCAA penalties
    3. Proven winner in SEC who coaches a fun offense that fans love.

He’s a jerk and may leave for an elite school at some point but so what.

56. just saying
    10:28 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

The fact we are starting a former QUARTERBACK at the WEAKSIDE LINEBACKER is a testiment to Joker’s recruiting. I got an idea, instead of trying to make TEs play safety, how bout going out and recruiting a safety. The number of Randell Cobb’s out there are 1 in a million. This coaching staff is a complete joke. Our Defensive coordinator came from Indiana STATE, not even IU (which is as bad as us), but Indiana STATE. Our HC has never coached as HS ANYWHERE, and we recruit players teams like Austin Peay have offered and we somehow expect to win??

This is joke. I have been a UK football fan for years, meaning I have seen a lot of bad times, and there is not a single UK fan that expects to win the SEC, but getting blown off the field by Louisville is simply unacceptable. UL coul have put 60 on us yesterday, and those long runs by Williams (ended in fumble) and that second TD only occured because UL shut it down. Bridgewater connected on 90% of his passes and ULs RBs ran for 250+ yards and 4 TDs. Problem is, coulda been a LOT worse. We simply are NOT “better than that” and the fact Joker thinks so, is the EXACT reason he should be fired. He doesnt know football!!!

57. JayCee
    10:28 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

42- Malzahn turned down $3mil/year from Vandy. Tressel had a losing record against SEC teams with all that talent he collected at OSU. UK won’t pay to buyout Leach (even if there existed a possibility that they wanted him, which there does not), and Petrino is a pipe dream as Barnhart would never even entertain the idea of hiring that guy.

You guys really need to vet these coaching suggestions. Head Bussa is doing a pretty good job with his suggestions. At least the majority are realistic possibilities.

58. Jezz
    10:30 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

We’re going 3-9 people.

This team lost its playmakers on defense and is just a little better on offense.

They’re really not better than that. We lack talent across the field. Simple as that.

59. cats74
    10:33 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

I would be very surprised if Malcolm McDuffen isnt starting over brause next week. Kid is a freak from Christian county who has NFL potential IMO

60. cats74
    10:34 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

61. Head Bussa
    10:36 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Is Brause number 10? If so, he played one of the softest games of college football I’ve ever seen played by an individual. That kid better step it up because he is embarassing himself out there. He is slow on foot, slow to react, a terrible tackler, and a soft hitter.

62. FeedMeSeymour
    10:36 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Can they be better thsn that? Absolutely! Will it be enough to get some wins against SEC teams? I hope so… It’s harder to improve an offense over a defense. Smith looked good at QB. Our WRs caught the ball. I only saw 2 3rd down plays where we ran too short of a route or a screen. The fumbles killed momentum and the defense got absolutely gashed for too many big plays. Petrino as our next coach?? Absolutely not!! Mobley bitching. Shut the hell up and understand your role as a true freshman.

63. Smyrna_Cat
    10:36 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

That was painful to watch. Are we better than that? It is hard to imagine ANY team in the country being worse. If UL had pushed it, we get beat by 40. That was the wimpiest defense effort I have seen from UK in a long time.

Those defending Joker are the same ones that supported Billy G. Sorry, Joker doesn’t need more time. He is been at UK … as an assistant, as coach in waiting, and as coach … long enough to prove he can win or not. It is definitel “not.”

64. barn
    10:38 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

when our recruiting class perennially ranks at the bottom of the sec what do you expect? some posters on here have argued me that ‘stars’ don’t mean anything when ranking recruits. check out the lineups of the upper tier teams in the conf. and see how many ‘stars’ they have. we can’t compete as long as we’re only getting 2-3 star caliber players—not in the SEC

65. JPlo
    10:38 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Anyone who suggests Petrino as UK’s HC should be banned from ever posting again… and maybe from ever talking about football again

66. just saying
    10:38 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

57. Jim Tressel had a 1-5 record agiant the VERY BEST SEC teams while playing in National championship games. No one thinks UK is going to beat the LSUs and Alabamas, but we should be able to beat the Mississippis, Vandys and Tennessees of the league. Tressel could and would easily do that, and its 10times better than what we have right now.

67. JOKER SUXS
    10:40 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

There is no need for debat. Joker hasn’t shown ANY positive moves in the time he has been HC. We have gone downhill since he got the job. All downhill. Recruiting sux. Record sux. Coaching sux. Public image sux. NO POSITIVES around the program. We couldn’t be worse with NO head coach, really.

68. JayCee
    10:40 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

67- Nope, not even the very best. USCjr best them in back-to-back years in 2001 and 2002. That’s back when USCjr still sucked.

69. markb
    10:42 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

I’m glad Louisville Trinity is NOT on the schedule… That would be an embarrassing loss.. Face it, if we can’t compete with Louisville, who would maybe win 2 games with an SEC schedule, how in the world can we compete with SEC teams loaded with talent. It’s not entirely the coaching staff’s fault we can’t compete on the field as far as execution is concerned. It IS the coaching staff’s fault that the talent level is not there. If you can’t recruit a top level athlete and get him to buy into a system.. maybe the system needs to change.

70. Mike
    10:47 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

This is truly amazing!!! It is almost like none of you truly watched the game!!!!

– Defense is HORRIBLE!!!! That is true, but most of the 2nd half was a complete different story, Louisville had to punt some and was not as efficient, look at the number split. two totally different games.
    – IN NO WAY IS FUMBLES and DROPPED PASSES the FAULT OF JOKER PHILLIPS. At some point, players have to put on their big boy shoes and hold on to the ball. Barely missed FG and two should have been TD’s, and this game is COMPLETELY different! NONE of that is Joker’s fault!!!
    – How in the world can ANYONE complain about the passing game!!! We moved the ball all day. Short dump passes, screen plays, slants, etc… was the perfect play call giving that they sat a safety 20 yards down field all day. Go ahead, go vertical, you saw when two of those were almost picked off! Max had a great day, couldn’t ask for better from the QB.

Bottom line, defense is horrendous. They have to get better. HOWEVER, the offense is NO DOUBT better than last year, and if we can put up 21-28 points or so in a game, then it should be up to the defense to keep us in it. That will be the question. HOLD ON TO THE BALL!

GO BIG BLUE!

71. just saying
    10:47 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

All of those people picking 4 wins, or even 3 please tell me the teams we will beat. Kent State will give us a game, and WKU will likely beat us. Samford is the only team I think is a “win”. Look at our SEC schedule, we wont win a game, and a slip up against Kent state and this UK team could easily finish 1-11. Look at the schedule and tell me Im wrong.

72. markp
    10:49 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

65 it’s about season tickets and that’s about winning. You, like many of the BBN, are happy being a powerhouse in hoops only. Not me!

73. Jon O
    10:51 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

I have read most of the comments from the other posts, and im left asking myself if the majority of our fan base is insane? Our fans are acting as if we were the pinnacle of college football before Joker took over. From reading the comments, you would of assummed we were playing in BCS bowls every year too. Here is an update for all the fans wanting Joker to be fired, on average, we are 1/2 step above Vandy in the SEC east over the last 20 years.

Fans are complaining about 2-3 star recruits… Well, where are you going to pull 4 and 5 star players from? Florida? GA? Ohio? Texas? Alabama???? Unless UK makes it a law that all coeds must attend classes topless, then we will never be landing elite recruits, from the hotbed recruiting states. We have and always will recuit based on potential and hope to develop SEC calibar football players after 1-3 years in the program.

Right now recruits will choose Louisville over UK. Why? Well, its actually pretty simple if you think about it. Over the last 20 years, we have been a bottom feeder in the SEC and never had a BCS Bowl bid. We play in the SEC and its beyond loaded with elite talant and as a player its like being a little fish in a big pond. Kid can to Loserville, play in the Big Easy, and could play in multiple BCS bowl games in their 4 year career along with competing for a Big East title every year too. Dare i say, big fish in a little pond??

Who are we going to hire to replace Joker? Please refer back to my comments about recuits choosing Louisville over UK, the same line of thinking goes for potential coaches. If i’m a up and coming coach, im not wanting to play the likes of Auburn, LSU, Alabama, Arkansas, South Carolina or Georgia every year. I would much rather go to any other BCS coference to try to make a name for myself at a bottom tier program.

More than anything, i’m embarrased for the lack support for Joker. He’s one of us, a KY boy, and deserves our support for everything he’s given the football progarm on the field and from the sideline coaching. I guess everyone forgot in his first year as head coach we just about beat Auburn, who went on to win the national title. He broke the streak to Ol’ Ball Coach, no other coach in UK football history can say that. And most importantly, he ended the streak to TN after 25 years.

This morning i’m embarrased to call myself a UK Football fan, not because of the product on the field, but rather some our fans and thier outlandish and completely unreasonable feelings towards our head coach. get a grip people, UK isnt a LSU, Alabama, or Georgia type of program. 6 wins and a bowl bid is a good season.. its been that way for 25 years. And over the last 25 years, i think we have had 7, 8 or maybe 9 bowl bids???

lastly, Bobby Petrino??? Seriously??? Some of you need to lay down the crack pipe. I’d rather go 0-12 for the next 5 seasons than hire that POS man.

74. JayCee
    10:51 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

71- I’m picking WKU to win. ALl I see as wins for UK are the Samford Bulldogs (brand-new D1 team) and Kent St… but that’s only if Kent St. returns one of their own punts the wrong way.

I really can’t wait to see the line on the Western game. UK might actually be the dog. Can’t wait for that meltdown.

75. Triple G
    10:52 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

It really saddens me to see Louiville getting a lot better, hell even Vanderbilt is getting better and the Kentucky program is going backwards. I could understand if there were some kinda NCAA penalties or something but there isn’t. We need to stop trying to compete for recruits with the Big SEC teams cause their not gonna get them. They need to expand their recruiting. Joker is a great guy, but something is missing and there simply has to be a way UK football can compete in the SEC.

76. just saying
    10:53 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

68. Yea Ohio St (Tressel) lost in the Outback Bowl in 2002 and then went on to win the National Championship in 2003. Yea, no one would ever consider that successful. Just so you know USC finished #13 in the country with a 9-3 record, so if that is your opinion of “still sucked” then you are expecting more than UK will EVER produce

77. Hard Hittin' CAT
    10:54 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Yes we are better than that it’s pretty simple. Minus the redzone fumbles and missed FG our offense looked good but could’ve put up more points. Defense couldn’t have been much worse so of course they can only get better.

On to the real matter is you previous 60 or so posts F’n SUCK! U sound like a bunch of raggin’ old bitches who are always wanting to whine and complain no matter what. Do us all a favor and go take a long walk off a short pier. I’m looking for some real fans for UK.

[email protected] Loserville too!

78. Oh well
    10:54 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

I’d rather be great at one major sport than mediocre at 2. UK > UL

79. Picture me Trollin'
    10:54 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Okay, Louisville fan here. Humor me. No rational person can deny that UK is the greatest college basketball program of all time. I’ll give you that much. But have you ever considered that the saintly “Papaw” Brooks was nothing but fool’s gold? He was beating garbage teams (UL included) to get the minimum wins needed to reach bowl eligibility. His one good team, 2007, was Kentucky’s most talented team since Bear Bryant, and they still lost to Mississippi State on Senior Day, and went 8-5. Brooks lucked into Randall Cobb. Bottom line, things have dropped off since Joker took over, but it’s not like you had a football golden age under “Papaw.” When UL was doing well, we finished 6th in the country two out of three years. So, be rational and accept that the drop off from Brooks to Joker is minimal at best.

P.S. I love that you are begging for Petrino after 12 years of Rick Pitino and “sloppy seconds” cracks by your fan base. People don’t hate UK because of it’s greatness. People hate UK because its fans are insufferable hypocrites.

80. Hard Hittin' CAT
    10:56 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Go BIG BLUE!’

81. JayCee
    10:57 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

74- Vandy doesn’t seem to be having a problem landing 4-star guys and they have less of a tradition of winning than we do. THey have 5 locked down for next year’s class and the state of Tennessee is only a marginally better recruiting territory than the state of Ky. Franklin hit the entire southeast and put together a class. UK just wants to make excuses for recruiting. That’s the difference.

When UK decides to drop over $100million on FB facility renovations like Vandy just did, then your point might have a modicum of basis. As it stands, you’re just a delusioned enabler.

82. just saying
    10:58 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

73. Ill bet you (name amount) UK doesnt come close to 6 wins and a bowl game. Therefore even as low as UK fans expectations are, Joker cant live up to them

83. JayCee
    10:58 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

77- he’s still 1-5 against the SEC. No hiding that fact. And he went 1-5 with some of the best recruiting classes ever.

Feel free to do the math on how that would translate to UK.

84. Jon O
    10:58 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

79, i hate to agree with a Louisville fan, but you’re dead on.

85. SevenT
    11:01 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

JAN O

I tend to agree with much of your post. However Joker has been with this program for a very long time and was handed a decent roster left by Brooks. My question is how hard was Joker working and how hard was he studying when he was under Brooks? He is not someone off the College Coaching ranks that was brought in from the outside and needs time to establish a system. The FACT is there are many other programs out there that do not have huge in state talent and go to other states to recruit talent. These programs manage to field a respectable team that plays hard and has pride. A few examples are: Iowa, West Virginia, Tennessee and yes Louisville.

I agree BBN should support the program. But there are no more excuses this is Joker’s last season to prove he has what it takes and what we watched yesterday is proof he ain’t got it. Tough minded coaches would not stand for that type of performance.

86. JayCee
    11:01 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Just sayin- BTW- this entire conversation is a lost cause. Tressel is not coming to UK to further destroy his rep as a coach.

87. STEVE BACK
    11:01 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

79-YEP. Man Meat Pizza Matt called Cal Slime a CHEATER in his own blogs…nowhe has his lips wrapped around Cals MMP!!!!

88. markp
    11:02 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

73 put down the mediocre pipe! Petrino would be a hard pill to swallow, but would bring UK back quicker than anyone. Why? Because no one of worth would pick UK now, He might because he is damaged goods. What’s not to get here?

79 hiring Petrino versus U of L hiring Pitino is apples and oranges. Going from UK basketball to U of L basketball is a MUCH bigger drop than it is for a black listed coach going back to the SEC. Get REAL!

89. Jon O
    11:02 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

81 – let’s see how many of those 4-star verbals actually end up in a Vandy uniform next year… a lot of recruiting still left to do.

90. JayCee
    11:03 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Jan O- will it matter? They stomped our asses last year and look a damn sight better than we do right now.

91. STEVE BACK
    11:04 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

“I say yes. I think Kentucky is better than what we saw in yesterday’s loss.”

Woulda,Shouda,Coulda = LOSER!!

92. JayCee
    11:05 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Sorry, Jon. Didn’t mean to type “Jan.”

93. ukscotty
    11:06 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Folks….this is what I saw yesterday…we have now based the status of our offense on whether or not our QB doesnt throw it in the ground or throw a pick…or whether or not our receivers catch the ball. Nevermind that is their only purpose, but if you are grading on that scale, the offense is better. But when your longest pass was by the wide receiver, didnt see the freshman until late, some not at all, and no imagination at all really. The defense sucks, plain and simple, and there are guys out there who are NOT division 1 players, let alone SEC players (Brause, Simpson, etc.). This is simply awful! Probably beat Kent next week, they suck worse…Western hung 49 on Austin Peay, no pushover, NO SEC WINS IMPOSSIBILITY. Whereas they may not have better QB’s than Bridgewater, they all have running games and we SHOWED NO ABILITY to stop that at all. 3-9 best case scenario! If I was Patrick Towles you RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN and ask for that redshirt! Whitlow do the same! The next guy might have some hope for them. This guy just cant coach! None of them……

94. Triple G
    11:07 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Uk can never get on the same page Offensively and Defensively. Other than the fumbles the offense looked pretty good but the D reaaly sucked. I could have run through that secondary. I can’t undrstand why one year the Offense is good and not the Defense and the next year vice versa.

95. JayCee
    11:11 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Jon- did you know, according to both Oscar Combs and Mike Pratt on KSR, UK cannot take a recruiting trip to Florida to see a kid play unless the staff is extremely confident that the visit will produce a commitment?

Their words, not mine. This is why UK will never be able to accomplish what Vandy is doing right now. Commitment to win FB games does not exist at UK. UK is only concerned with the bottom line staying in the black. Vandy has decided they want to win and don’t like living where UK obviously likes living.

See, Vandy figured out what the SEC is all about… and it damn sure ain’t basketball.

96. Ridge Runner
    11:15 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Lets be honest…we suck

97. Ben
    11:17 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

#53 – Great list! Need a defensive guy to be successful at KY!

98. Logic
    11:18 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Just wanted to go ahead in advance and thank you basketball season ticket holders for stepping up and complying with the mandatory football season ticket purchase requirements. Your generosity will continue to keep UK Athletics top notch. Well done!

99. Jon O
    11:19 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

JayCee, Vandy is better than us right now… no one is disagreeing with that. All im saying is we need to give Joker some time. We fire Joker, then what? The UK Football coacing job isn’t very desirable for any coach.. established or up and coming. Firing Joker right now or even at the end of the season, only sets the program back even farther. We have a young team and i have confidence that our current coach staff can develop these players into good SEC calibar football players. No doubt, the program has taken steps backwards since Pawpaw was here. But again, let’s be realistic its not like we won the SEC east 4 years in a row… we are talking about 6-7 wins, bowl bids, and a run of winning our bowl games.

At the end of next season if we finish 5-7 or worse, i would be on the fire joker bandwagon. that means he would have had 4 years to develop his first recruting class.

100. markp
    11:22 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

99 WHAT? Are you sure you are not Joker?

101. Mudcreekmark
    11:25 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

70) I hope you’re just being sarcastic. Did you not notice that UofL put in their back up quarterback in in the third quarter? If Bridgewater and the rest of the starters would have stayed in the game we would have lost by 50. The offense looked much improved from last year. At least we can catch the ball which seemed to be a big challenge last year. On the other hand, the defense was awful. No other way to put it. The last time I saw a defense miss that many tackles and get beat in the secondary that many times was back when Hal Mumme had his high school buddy as the defensive coordinator.Did we blitz one time? Our team was having a hard time reading the blitzes that UofL was throwing at us. We didn’t give them anything to think about. They could just sit back and pick us apart. Don’t give me that, oh we cannot leave our backs on an island crap. They were getting beat anyway you might as well take a chance on rushing the quarterback into making a mistake or ever getting a sack or two against him. We know what he can do against us if we rush three, complete 90%, lets try bringing 5 or 6 and see what he can do against us.

102. JayCee
    11:25 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Jon- If Joker is still coach at the end of next season, UK football will require a decade’s worth of repair just to reach the same level of mediocrity that Brooks produced. UK is in no position to wait and see on anything FB related when the seats are as empty as they currently are.

I don’t know how you can possibly even believe what you say when it is obvious that UK has regressed every single year under Joker. And, if Brooks’ mediocre players are what lead Joker to this position, just what does that say about his current recruits? Can’t have it both ways, man.

103. DODGER1
    11:25 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

I GO BACK A LONG WAY.MY DAD TOOK ME TO SEE UK/TENN AT KNOX IN 1951. I WAS TEN. I THINK I AM QUALIFIED TO SAY WE WILL NEVER HAVE A CONSISENT WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM. FIRST THEY SAID WE NEEDED A NEW STADIUM SO WE BUILT COMMONWEALTH ST. DIDN’T CHANGE ANYTHING. THEN THEY SAID WE NEEDED A WGT ROOM. DIDN’T CHANGE ANYTHING. THEN THEY SAID WE NEEDED A INSIDE PRACTICE BLDG. DIDN’T CHANGE ANYTHING. THEN THEY SAID WE NEEDED TO EXPAND CW STAD. DIDN’T CHANGE ANYTHING. THEN THEY SAID WE NEEDED TO UPGRADE THE CW STAD FACILITIES. DIDN’T CHANGE ANYTHING. WHAT IS NEXT? ARE YOU GETTING THE PICURE?

104. Logic
    11:25 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

99- you do realize if you keep Joker for next season you’ll have to extend his contract? No way he could effectively recruit with only 1 year left and not enough support to extend. We are already missing out on the best talent in the state, you want to miss even the avg. talent?

105. Jon O
    11:25 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

95 @ JayCee – Sounds to me like that is on Mitch and his budget for UK Football. I personally think they need to do a better job of recruiting the Cincinnati area… i’ve been saying that for 25 years now.

106. JayCee
    11:34 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Jon- now you’re getting the picture. Joker is merely a symptom. The people that pull the strings for UK only care about the success of the basketball team. FB is the cash cow for every single one of Mitch’s tertiary sport pet projects. Nothing more. As long as it makes money, no one (that matters) will ever bat an eye to change the culture of UK football. Again, this is the main area where UK and Vandy differ. Vandy wants to win football games and is making effort to do so. Meanwhile, UK is still making excuses.

This is why it deserves no fan support. It is increasingly obvious that they just don’t care, yet they want to point the finger at the fans when the fit continually hits the shan.

107. markp
    11:36 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

103 I’ve been watching since Charlie Bradshaw myself. If you don’t demand great you get what is fed to you. UK fans, for the most part, set back and accept the mediocrity. Stop buying season tickets and keep the heat on. Joker was a huge mistake. Yes, Brooks was a .500 coach at UK but the momentum was going in the right direction. The word is give the Jokster time to get his players in, word to the insane, he was the leading recruiter for Brooks! His players were there. He just can’t coach them up like Brooks. That much is obvious.

I don’t like the idea of Petrino but he would be a quick fix and what coach of his field caliber would consider UK now? Be honest! I am tired of being on this mediocre path. Drastic times call for drastic measures.

108. Jon O
    11:36 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

JayCee, i’m not saying to program hasn’t regressed, obviously it has since Pawpaw Brooks was on the sidelines. However, its not like he’s fallen flat on his face either.. be beat spurrier and he broke the streak to TN… we had 5 wins last year, which over the last 20 years is our average win total each season. We are 1 game into his 3rd season and and everyone is ready to put the man’s head on a chopping block… i just dont see it.

109. Head Bussa
    11:37 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

79 – You’re totally wrong. Rich Brooks developed competitive teams that often played quality games against quality opponents. Also, your point about Cobb is moot as Rich’s best team in 2007 didn’t even include Mr. Cobb. Rich Brooks’s teams at UK were not fools gold whatsoever. We did some really good things while he was there, but have really started to get worse with Joker. Do you not realize that Joker had Randall Cobb as a junior and still managed to have a losing record? I’m not going to even address your argument anymore. Smart UK fans understand the tremendous drop off we have seen from Rich Brooks’ last few teams to Joker’s squads!

110. JayCee
    11:40 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

One more thing, which of these “name” coaches is going to magically jump on board with UK when Mitch tells them they can’t just be hopping planes all willy-nilly just to see recruits play in the most fertile recruiting areas of the southeast?

111. Head Bussa
    11:42 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

110 — I’ve probably missed it, but why exactly can our coaches not recruit how they would like?

112. JayCee
    11:42 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

108- That’s your right. But, I ask that you give it a few weeks and get back to me after the WKU game.

We’ll see if you’re seeing it by then. I think you will.

113. Mudcreekmark
    11:43 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

102)Mediocrity that Brooks produced? How long have you been a UK fan? What Rich Brooks accomplished at UK was nothing short of a miracle. He took a team that for 50 years plus always found ways to lose games that they should have won.(Other than a couple of years when Fran Curci was there).Us fans and the players themselves always knew that some way some how we would find a way to blow the games at the end. We lost a game that we had 7 interceptions for Gods sake. Brooks in the short time he was here, had the players and the fans attitudes completely changed. Instead of knowing we were going to blow a lead at the end, we knew some how some way if we could keep it close we would find a way to win the game at the end. Do you know how hard it was to accomplish this? Not only in the close games, he made us believe we had a chance to win any game on the schedule. Just like this year, for many years we knew going into the games withFlorida, Georgia, Tennessee, LSU, Alabama , Auburn etc. we had no chance to win. Zero chance and we just hoped not to get embarassed.(Which happened more times that not.)Well Brooks had us competing with these teams, we didn’t always win the games but very seldom did we not at least make it interesting. Fact is, I would take those types of teams in a heart beat right now. You can call it mediocre all you want but I will take it over what Joker is putting on the field any day of the week.

114. wu tang slang
    11:44 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Well, UK needs to relocate Mitch to a lesser position in the athletics department. But what about the non-revenue sports improvements you ask? The key word is non-revenue. Mitch might be worth a damn in athletics that don’t make money, but football pays the bills, even at UK. Mitch got a mulligan on BCG and he’ll be asking for another one after this football season and cannot be entrusted with another coaching search. KSR is apparently under the covers with Mitch since they replayed a ridiculous conversation with him shortly after #8 that was rife with propaganda this morning.

115. markp
    11:45 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Jan O so wrong! You are an apologist and happy to be mediocre!

UT sucked badly when we beat them and if USC’s star running back doesn’t get hurt we lose by a lot. Joker got lucky in both cases. The year before when we still had Cobb, at UT, I remember being on the 30 something of UT, behind and late in the game, and we punt on 4 and short. That says it all. Joker’s head should be on the cutting block. He should have been gone after last year, period.

116. JayCee
    11:46 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

114- No, he had an extra game on the schedule. What Brooks did was bring UK back from probation to mediocrity. The addition of the extra season game and the addition of extra bowl games did the rest. I’m sorry, but that’s the gist of Brooks’ tenure.

117. JayCee
    11:46 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

3rd worst UT team in all of UT’s history and we brag about beating them. Only at UK.

118. markp
    11:48 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

We beat LSU when they were number one with Brooks at coach. Don’t even say his name in the same sentence as Joker. Use Bill Curry for that!

119. JayCee
    11:48 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Head- read post number 95

120. Mike
    11:52 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

105 Jon O…you have made a lot of sense in your posts but got it wrong by chastising many of us for not supporting Choker. He has done nothing to earn our support and continues to have the program in decline with no sign of a reversal in sight. I also do not agree that it would take multiple yrs. for a turnaround with a new coach. Franklin had no problem doing just that at Vandy. He has a good grasp of the game, is a great recruiter, has everyone buying what he is selling, and we should be able to do the same. Do u think a Dan Mullin wouldn’t have produced a turnaround here? Joker has no fire, very little coaching acumen, marginal recruiting skills, and has totally lost the fan base. Yes, he had a couple of fluke wins, but when u look at the total record, we would have an even more atrocious record if you remove or reduce the cupcakes we have scheduled. Joker is nothing more than a repackaged Obama…a nice guy but no real record of achievement.

121. ed
    11:53 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

we heard the same thing from joker last year, we are better than that! No you are not..start the search for a replacement. I to have been following the football team for over 45 years. Even when we lost and we have lost a lot of games, we have played hard on defense. Always hit hard, Joker’s teams do not play with heart. not the kids fault, coaching………………

122. JayCee
    11:53 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

118- Yes, he did. And his great reward for doing so was the vaunted Music City Bowl.

Do you see what I’m saying?

123. Triple G
    11:54 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

Just looked at some of the recruits UK is looking at for next year. They must be looking for diamonds in the rough, which doesn’t make me feel too optimistic, cause we’re recruiting against teams like WKU, Troy, Jacksonville ST., ETC. Says it all for me!

124. DODGER 1
    11:54 am September 3, 2012 Permalink

107..I DROPPED SEASON TICKETS IN 2001 AFTER 50 YEARS. HAVEN’T SEEN A GAME SINCE THEN. SPEAKING OF COACHES I WANT TO ANALYZE THE HIRES THAT I REMEMBER. AFTER BRYANT, COLLIER…ONE OF THE GREAT MINDS IN FOOTBALL GREAT HIRE. NEXT BRADSHAW..UP AND COMING ASSIST. UNDER BRYANT GOOD HIRE..NEXT JOHN RAY..UP AND COMING ASSIST AT ND..ON PAPER A GOOD HIRE. NEXT FRAN CURCI …UP AND COMING YOUNG COACH…ON PAPER GOOD HIRE..NEXT JERRY CLAYBORNE..HEAD COACH AT MARYLAND UK GRAD GOOD RECORD..GOOD HIRE..NEXT CURRY..HEAD COACH AT ALA. WOULD WE LIKE ALA COACH NOW?..GOOD HIRE..NEXT COACHES MORRIS,BROOKS AND JOKER NOT SO GOOD. BUT MY POINT IS THAT IN THE PAST WE HAVE HIRED SOME REASONABLE GOOD COACHES WITH NO SUCCESS. WE HAVE NO TRADITION.NO RECRUITING BASE AND CAN’T GET A UP AND COMING ASSIST OR SUCCESSFUL HEAD COACH TO COME TO A GRAVEYARD OF COACHES.

125. JayCee
    12:02 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

Dodger- I agree. But, we’ve reached that point where the fans aren’t going to continue to pay for a bad product like they have for years and years. You are a prime example of that fact. And, if that trend continues, what is UK to do when the money dries up? That’s the question. The fans are gripping tightly onto UK’s netheregions demanding change and UK knows that rolling another patsy coach out there won’t end well for them, considering the slippery slope that is UK’s finances right now.

UK is going to be forced to make serious change or watch as their stubbornness drives them to the poor house. Hard to pay for so many new softball fields and track surfaces with no FB money to waste, right?

That’s where they are finding themselves and it’s their own damned fault.

126. Larry
    12:18 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

I agree with #27. As an old coach and player, I saw no hits from Kentucky. They were intimidated by Louisville on both sided of the ball and why the hell do we have everybody on offense standing watching the sidelines for the play. The clock is run down to the last few seconds before the play is run. When we ran the hurry up offense we had moments we could run the ball. And a couple of slants were completed. We keep throwing the damned ball across the field for no gain instead of at least a gain down field. It will be a long season. No Headhunters at all. Some of the players need to grow a pair.
    I just do not understand why we take so long to run a play. You give the other team time to adjust to what you are lined up in.They should have tried more backs. Sanders is fumble prone. The backs don’t try and avoid contact thus short runs. Enough of my bitching it will do no good. Time for a change in BIG BLUE NATION. Look how far Tubby and BG took the basketball team down. Cal came in and shook things up. Joker has had a chance. He was there under Brooks. It can be done. I Hope!!!!

127. CrashTheLoader
    12:35 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

If South Carolina can do it, there is no way we shouldn’t be able to. They spent most of the 90s hovering around .500 (sound familiar?) but then lost the last 3 in 97, and only 1 game in 98. Then they committed to spending the money, and went out and got a big name, arguably over rated, coach in Holtz. Yes, he went winless his first year, but had 8 and 9 win seasons and won the Outback bowl the next 2. When they started to sink back to mediocrity, they followed Holtz up with another BIG name coach in Spurrier. Perfect? No, but at least they committed the resources needed to succeed, and saw benefits from it.

128. DODGER1
    12:37 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

I HAVE BEEN SAYING THIS FOR THE LAST 50 YEARS AND HERE GOES AGAIN. THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN UK AND THE OTHER SEC TEAMS(AND LOUISVILLE) IS THE O LINE AND D LINE. YOU CAN REPEAT THIS YEAR AFTER YEAR AND IT STILL HOLDS TRUE. AND BY THE WAY WE DINK AND DUNK BECAUSE THE O LINE CANNOT HOLD THEIR BLOCKS LONG ENOUGH TO GO DOWN FIELD.

129. markp
    1:02 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

122 the Music City Bowl looks a hell of a lot better than what our program looks like today. Nuff said. Joker sucks!

130. STEVE BACK
    1:06 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

Where’s all the HillBilly Yuks Yuks who pounded their ‘lil Puddy Tat chests on BlowHard Matts call in show???? Oh, that’s right…Chickens only Cluck when they are running skeerd!!
    Put those couches back on the front porch Kittys! The only thing burning today is that 32-14 azz whoopin’!

131. markp
    1:10 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

128 with the right offensive schemes you don’t need to hold the defensive line long. Ask Hal Mumme and Mike Leach. That is why I said you need a gimmick type offense at UK to succeed. You sure as hell can’t wait till 3 and 9 to throw a 4 yard pass and hope the back breaks tackles.

132. Tyler Brause
    2:00 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

Tyler Brause… way too many missed tackles. Joker should have his bags packed. We don’t have SEC talent on the field. I’m glad D. Collins can catch and so on and so forth… its not enough. We would not let this hot garbage marinate in our basketball program so I do not understand the hole in process. Mitch may need to hit the friggin road.

133. Tyler Brause
    2:02 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

#128 is right… the big difference between the SEC and the rest of the country is not the speedy WRs and RBs it is the size, strenght, and speed of the O & D Lines, period. Point blank period as that crackhead from Louisville would say.

134. Opti
    3:05 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

Dear Coach…”we are not better than that” until you show it on the field.

We are 0-1 and exactly what we displayed.

Until you honestly admit what you are…we cannot hope to improve on the field.

135. Green River 46
    3:06 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

Joker sounds like former UofL football coach Ron Cooper, remember him ? that louisville had trouble getting rid of.

136. sick and tired
    4:36 pm September 3, 2012 Permalink

We are NOT better than that. We are only as good as we play any given day. How many times have we played like that versus played very well?