Jon Davis set to switch to the Cards?

According to Mike Hughes of InsideTheVille.com, Eastern linebacker, Korn frontman and longtime Kentucky commitment Jon Davis might be falling away from us all as he reports Davis will switch his verbal to the Cards this weekend, leaving the Cats without the first commitment of the Joker Phillips era.  With rumors of him looking elsewhere and potential visits being scheduled, Davis has said several times publicly that he remains committed to the Cats and UK’s staff still feels like they’re in a good spot with him.  This weekend will prove if that feeling is merited.

For many, Davis’ recruitment is representative of Joker and Charlie Strong’s battle for Jefferson County and the state.  As of now, Davis is UK’s only commitment from Louisville and the the swing player in schools’ pursuit of Kentucky’s top-10 recruits.  With Lamar Dawson and two others still undecided, the Cats lead the Cards 4-3.  However, Charlie Strong’s team still lead in dance-off victories.  And that’s really what it’s all about.

Article written by Thomas Beisner

47 Comments for Jon Davis set to switch to the Cards?

1. UK_Football_Fan
    4:33 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

We could look back on this as the beginning of the end.

2. wtf
    4:33 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

thats a mistake 1st

3. Don't scare me like that
    4:36 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

I thought you were talking about Anthony Davis for a minute!!! WOW!! Who gives a crap about football? We only care about basketball. Football is the same evey year. They finish .500 or well below, nothing more will ever come of UK football. Matt should change this site to Kentucky Basketball Sports Radio

4. GMo
    4:36 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

I hate Loserville. I don’t know how anyone with half a brain could like them. I hate living this close to Loserville. You folks that live around LexVegas have no idea. It’s hell.

5. GMo
    4:37 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

#3. That’s why we suck at football. Folks like you.

6. Rockfield, KY
    4:46 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

3. you could always start your own UK basketball blog and leave those comments off this one…

7. ricky pee
    4:48 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

if he does this, he will be one of the most hated players ever

8. bigbadjon
    4:51 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

not if his daddy has anything to say about it

9. Jonah Hex
    4:51 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

On Matts call in show, one Saturday two weeks ago

Jonah- Just look at Charlie Strong
    Matt- (raises voice) What has Charlie Strong done? Im so tired of hearing about Charlie Strong!
    Jonah- Well it was obvious by the end of the year they were a better team than at the start, it was obvious we werent.
    Matt- Thanks for the call, I will give you that- they were a better team.
    Exhibit B- Charlie Strong is going to start recruiting better in the state of KY.

10. Jay
    4:55 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

#3 If you were such a big basketball fan you would know that Anthony Davis has already signed a LOI with UK, so he couldn’t just switch. Also, football is very important and this story is a big deal. I hate losing commits to other teams especially our biggest rival.

11. Buzzard
    4:56 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

# 3 If you don’t like UK Football then don’t comment about it. There are lots of football fans who are also UK fans. You couldn’t be more wrong.
    Go Football Cats! Please don’t pay any attention to the .001% of our ‘fans’ who are idiots.

12. Winston Bennett
    4:56 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Don’t worry Cats. We can beat the Cards in recruiting in Perry County!!!

13. chit
    4:58 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

I root for our football program, I am a much bigger fan of basketball, but this story is very alarming for Joker. He best be gettin CHIT right!

14. Will Hill
    4:58 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

SOUR

15. Lex07
    5:04 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Fans aren’t the problem with UK football- except for the enablers who don’t demand a better program. The school’s unwillingness to spend the $$$ necessary to be competitive is the problem.

16. rickpitinoshairplugs
    5:05 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

You’re really on top of it here. He’s canceled his visit with Louisville… HA.

17. Will
    5:13 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Come on Jon…. stick with us!

18. elstie01
    5:23 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

If he switches next year we should play Fred Durst’s parts of “All In the Family” by Korn when UL takes the field. I don’t know if anyone knows this song, but basically he just rips on Jon Davis by name the entire song. I hope he doesn’t do it, but if he does, can we jump ship on Joker yet?

19. ....
    5:24 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

This is starting to get a little ridiculous. This is why we cant have a decent football program. We take a few steps forward and 100 steps in the opposite direction.

20. UK_Football_Fan
    5:30 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

#16-where are you hearing that he cancelled his visit?

21. Sexy Stephanie
    5:48 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

#3: I agree with you. UK football does suck, but you should still cheer for them. But I’m with you, the basketball team is what rules the bluegrass and I think Brandon Knight is SO HOT!!! I saw him on campus the other day and my knees got weak -)

22. Big Tony
    5:52 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

KENTUCKY FOOTBALL DOES SUCK. I cancelled my season tix after sitting there, freezing my anal canal off every year watching the SEC kill us!!! Sure, we beat the MAC teams and the in state teams, but the SEC crushes us year after year after year after year. UK Football sucks and Joker is only going to make it worse. He’s FAR TOO conservative and you have to have BIG TIME talent to be conservative. He nees to gamble more because we ain’t winning anyway. LMAO. What has he got to lose??? LMAO.

The only good football team in this state is Breathitt County High School!! GO BOBCATS!!

23. El_Duderino
    6:18 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Big Tony, glad you cancelled your tickets so a ‘TRUE’ UK fan can be in the stadium!!

Jon Davis wants to be in a Louisville uniform, then do it…I want players on the field who bleed blue!!

24. Cardinal Strong
    6:30 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Do the right thing Jon, look at all these “kentucky football fans” bashing there program. Come to Louisville and be loved by all.

25. Big D
    6:33 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

I feel a big majority of the high school players in the Ville still get a rough time from the folks in the Ville. Aw man, you can’t go to UK, you need to keep your talents in the Ville. Not to take anything away from Strong, probably a good dude. Heck I remember in basketball, when Joe B. hauled in Winston Bennett the folks in the Ville could’nt believe he was going to leave the Ville and go to UK. We will see what happens.

26. Nick
    6:34 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Davis did cancel his visit…pretty much right after it was posted on insidetheville that he was switching his commitment. Now all of a sudden they are saying they didn’t want him and they have no room! Jurich is a tool and puts a spin on everything…they already know five in a row is happening and I’ll give Strong two years before he “pulls out”

27. Wildcat Phillips
    6:37 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Yes, Jon do the right thing and go where you can get better, in a Conference and on a team (SEC and UK) that produces the best Pro football players.

28. Big D
    6:37 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

And on another note, the number of the Ville chickenheads that just love this site must be real insecure. Probably wear blue when they get out of the Ville. You guys lathered a lot of love on your football program when Kragthorpe was there did’nt you ?

29. Just saying
    6:45 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Theres one more kid backing out later next week, trust me.

30. Big D
    7:05 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Maybe some magic will happen on signing day. Man I hope so.

31. SagaciousMind
    7:54 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

I felt like Alvin Dupree committed for a reason, that we were losing Jon Davis. If not, adding another good TE like Dupree may push him out. So, it is likely. I guess we will see.

32. Crackerhillbilly
    8:28 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Big Blue Faithful, be assured that Charlie Strong will CRUSH Joker in Jeff Co. unless he turns things around next season. If not, then abandon all hope until we get a Tier 1 coach – I kid you not – I have a HS athlete who loves UK, but the buzz is Charlie is hot….Joker is not.

33. Crackerhillbilly
    8:33 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

#26…you DO NOT know Charlie Strong. UL is his mission. This man got passed over for years. He will not easily abandon the program that gave him the chance he should have had years ago (and yes, from UK). Write it down – the win streak will end this year (and it makes be sick).

34. AG Slater
    8:44 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

UK football is going to be terrible next year

35. bluetexan
    8:58 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Joker the ‘Master Recruiter’…now, HC – guess Barnfart missed on both evaluations. OPERATION: Boast-About-The-Great-Class-Lose-‘Em-As-Fast-As-You-Announce-‘Em. Sad. FREE MIKE LEACH!

36. Rocket 20
    9:16 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Jon Davis is not the only UK recruit from Louisville. Daylen Hall from St. Xavier has committed to UK.

37. Nick
    9:31 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Wow. I just really do not see how you think UofL will win next year at Commonwealth…they lost half of their team this season!! Cobb will be impossible to replace in the near future, but UK has a lot of young talent with game experience. I’d give UofL a better chance in the 2012 game at Papa Johns. Strong doesn’t make any difference in recruiting Jeff County…UofL has historically gotten kids from the city. Hell, even Kragthorpe got a few just for the fact they grew up UofL fans.

And, I’m not saying Strong won’t give UofL a shot and stay. I’m just saying he doesn’t have the loyalty to that program. Yeah, they gave him a shot at a coaching job, but he wants to be in either the SEC or ACC and that is a FACT! Look at any of his interviews while he was coming up in the coaching ranks and that’s all he talked about.

38. gocards
    9:51 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Lamar Dawson is yours. That is a huge get. I would not sweat this one Cat fans. I am hearing he will make a surprise announcement on signing day.

39. kyboogie
    10:43 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

“As of now, Davis is UK’s only commitment from Louisville”

FALSE

40. Whoa
    11:00 pm January 20, 2011 Permalink

Dance offs and the Cards’ recruiting class being way better than the Cats’. Hope you’re looking forward to Teddy.

41. yo, moron!
    8:28 am January 21, 2011 Permalink

#31- everybody and their literate brother knows that Dupree is a DE prospect. He knows it. Joker knows it. I know it.

Get a clue about WTF you are talking about before running your trap.

42. yo, moron!
    8:30 am January 21, 2011 Permalink

#41- why not have Pearl throw a party at his house?

43. wh
    9:31 am January 21, 2011 Permalink

check rivals, louisville is owning us this year in recruiting

44. Stickman
    9:59 am January 21, 2011 Permalink

GMo Says:
    January 20th, 2011 at 4:37 pm
    #3. That’s why we suck at football. Folks like you.

Nope, we suck at football because our teams don’t win games. Blame it on coaches, players, whatever, but I’d LOVE to see the argument that convinces someone tha an anonymous person leaving comments on a blog is responsible for a sub-par football program.

45. Stickman
    10:06 am January 21, 2011 Permalink

Hey UTVOL,

What kind of moron with a proven, admitted cheater for a B-ball coach comes on a UK fan site to talk trash about our coach who has never been accused of, or proven to have committed any NCAA violations? No wonder you ignorant fools wear that ugly safety orange color. It’s so normal people driving down the road can see you and avoid running over you retards when you wander out into the street to play in traffic.

46. Stickman
    10:07 am January 21, 2011 Permalink

Either that or you wear that ugly orange color because the prison lets you keep your jumpsuit when you are paroled.

47. Ultimate Judge of Reality
    11:10 am January 21, 2011 Permalink

Jon Davis is a great player and I hate to lose him to UL. I would hate to lose any player to UL. But if he comes to KY are we really going to play him at tight end when we have so darn many of them and so few awesome athletes on defense? Anyway, I say Davis stays a Cat and plays linebacker.