Joker gives the media his best Fake Lou Holtz

As previously mentioned, Joker Phillips was a cool as a cucumber during his weekly press conference today, showing no signs of stress six days out from the Louisville game. He even cracked some jokes, giving his best Lou Holtz impression after a reporter asked if he would use some of his former boss’ infamous motivational tactics, like Charlie Strong did last season:

COACH PHILLIPS: Isn’t that what Lou would say? “We’re not as good as those guys. They have a fullback that looks just like this. I don’t know how we’re going to stop them, I really don’t (laughter).”

Then on Saturday (Holtz would say), “They got no chance, Joker. We just execute the plan.”

Did Joker pull off his Holtz impression or does he need some tips from Fake Lou Holtz? Click on the pic and fast forward to the 15:15 mark to decide for yourself.

12 Comments for Joker gives the media his best Fake Lou Holtz

1. ktmiln2
    4:11 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

I think he was holding back out of respect for Lou.

2. UL Blows
    4:37 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

When Joker took over we were the best team in the state ang gaining respect in the SEC. We was not winning the SEC by no means but we were competitive. Now we are 2 in state with WKU closing in on that and have with Ole Miss became the laughing stock of the SEC. It is what it is I guess. We will be lucky to win 4games this year with 0 league wins. That’s not hating it’s being honest. Now let the ripping start on how I’m not a true fan and this is the problem with the program.

3. tltaworl
    4:46 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

#2, not ripping but what you say has been said before (many times). It is time to get behind this team or just sit back and wait for the results.

4. me
    5:02 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

So does a 4-1 record the last five years vs. UL mean we are number 2 in the state? If we happen to lose to the Cards in basketball ever again, I am not ready to say we are number 2 in the state.

5. Real Lou Holtz
    5:17 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Tell the truth yall, ya know you’d trade Joker for me (the real Lou Holtz) in a heart beat. And I bet a bunch of ya would rather have my kid as coach – he got his jobs on name alone (much like Joker), but at least skip has learned to coach on the job.

Shup up all ya Koolaid drinkers. I’ll be at a bunch of games – chearing on the boys – I just know ‘joker’ ain’t the answer…

6. Mountain Dew
    5:24 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

#4 – Surely you aren’t counting 3 of Rich Brooks’ wins in your tally. Joker is 1-1 and we are 14 point dogs this game. You think a top player outa Jefferson County is going to pick UK over uofl right now? How many “L’s” to uofl does joker need to get before you admit they’ve passed us by.

7. stan
    5:34 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

This will be one of the last times Joker will smile this year. He has to go before I will spend another dime at a game. Gave up season tickets after 9 years. Flame if you like, the record speaks for itself. With ticket sales figures, many more feel just as I do.

8. Fake Lou Holtz
    6:26 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

I think shomebody may be getting a pep talk thish Friday on KSR…

9. duh
    6:36 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

If he filled his mouth full of sh*t, he could have done a Chawwy Stwong impersonation

10. UL Blows
    6:39 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

#7 I with you. I gave up my tickets too. I’m just tired of some getting on here and ripping the rest of us for telling the truth. I get tired of some saying your not a fan or blindly backing the staff. The facts are most were behind Joker and wanted him to succeed,but it just hasn’t happened. Uk is not a powerhouse football program and we can’t allow it to get to far behind agian. We were lucky under Brooks that the states talent was up and was good enough to keep them in Kentucky, for UK to be good in football we MUST win the recruiting battle in Jefferson County.

11. duh
    6:57 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

#7 and #10 I agree with you guys. I also gave up season tickets and will not go back until Joker is gone and UK hires a REAL HEAD COACH. I had tickets since 1986 and gave them up and since ticket sales are down, it appears as if many others agree with us.

12. MikeyWhipreck
    7:51 pm August 27, 2012 Permalink

Optimism is low. At this point, adding humor to the situation is probably the best route, because it’s no secret we are going to be disappointed with the results this season. I will agree with Joker on that front. I just wish we put the effort to compete and made it a serious one. It’s great we have a thriving baseball, diving, volleyball, badminton, and backgammon…not to mention, roundball…but we actually WANT to watch football!