Is it okay to root for UK Basketball and UL football?

Pictured: Matt Jones’ bet on the over/under.

Simple question.  Is it okay to call yourself a true-Blue Cat fan while rooting for Louisville in football?  Short answer: no.  Long answer: no, go away.

Some clarification, to start.  This is not about hoping Louisville does well so long as they’re not playing us.  Success for both programs is good for the state, and it’s so much sweeter to beat a good team than a struggling one.  Plus I always rooted for Louisville when they played WVU.  No, this is about rooting for UL instead of UK when they play head-to-head.

Someone informed me over the weekend that, while they cheered for Kentucky during basketball season, when it was time for football, they were Card fans.  Apparently, Kentucky “celebrates mediocrity” when it comes to football, and that wasn’t something he thought he could root for.  Hard to argue that Kentucky’s had tons of success over the last few years, but to say we’ve “celebrated” is not entirely accurate.  We’ve been happy to go to postseason games, sure, but I never saw people dancing in the streets over the Music City Bowl.  Fans were close to a mutiny during the latter part of last season, until Joker pulled a miracle out his rectum and broke the Tennessee streak.  Meanwhile, Louisville has allegedly been much more active in aggressively developing a winning football culture with Charlie Strong.

Even if that’s true, which is highly debatable, is it enough ground to abandon an allegiance?  Or should you stick with one team, successful or otherwise, and put your money where your mouth is?  I’m not conceding anything about the overall prestige of the programs, but Louisville’s won the last two football games.  They’ve been the better team for a couple seasons, now.

“Putting your money where your mouth is” is less about winning bets, and more about throwing in your lot with whatever you proclaim to believe in.  Just ask Matt.  You want a share in the stake, good or bad.  It’s why most of you start every NCAA tournament penning Kentucky to win it all.  Even during the BCG years (er, year), that was always Step One.  Did you really think they would win after the trainwreck that was Clyde’s first season?  If you did, you’re delusional.  But you put it there anyway, didn’t you?  Of course you did.  Because, for better or worse, you want to share in the result of the season.  It makes you feel more like part of the team.  When they lose, the commiseration hurts.  But when they win, the celebration is so much better because you’ve been through both the lows and the highs.

So if you root for Louisville instead of Kentucky during football season because they’re “more likely to win” (which is true for any pair of teams when only one is in the SEC), your Kentucky-fan credibility is immediately suspect.  Those who say they “bleed Blue,” how can you know unless you take a few shots every now and again?  The only way to see what color you bleed is to take a punch to the nose and see what comes out.

There are a lot of Kentucky fans with a nosebleed right now.  It’s a little embarrassing, but at least we know what color their blood is.

Article written by Corey Nichols

50 Comments for Is it okay to root for UK Basketball and UL football?

1. Jezz
    9:05 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

Obviously a no-no.

A better question would be : is it okay to root for UK basketball but not root for UK football ?

I care about the football team, but at this point I jsut casually watch the games expecting a loss. I’m just at peace with the fact that this team sucks.

2. Big T
    9:07 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

Another post calling me a bad fan. Only now I’m not just a bad fan…I’m a Card fan. Didn’t see that coming?

3. Todd
    9:07 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

What a classy comment: “Joker pulled a miracle out of his rectum and broke the Tennessee streak.” Furthermore, who cares what anyone who is a Louisville fan of any sport does.

4. Musehobo
    9:11 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

Sorry, you lost me at “I always rooted for Louisville when they played WVU”.

5. DANIEL
    9:14 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

unlike some, i am not a part time fan. i bleed blue 24/7.no matter what sport. im not going to be a fan just because they are winning. Fans like that make me sick. They remind me louisville fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. JayCee
    9:20 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

Who roots for UL football?

7. Bob Sugar
    9:20 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

Kentucky football blows.. Joker deserves a coach ticket on the wooden rail out of this fine commonwealth with Rick minter riding b**** right behind him. Mitch Barnyard will have to make up for this disaster with one more coaching search and if it fails he also has to go.

8. UK3K
    9:25 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

#6 – Line beards, flat bills, pink wife beaters, and guys with tramp stamps root for the tards.

9. JayCee
    9:27 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

This makes me think that KSR thinks that all the well-founded negativity from UK’s own FB fans are actually from two-faced UL fans?

Did I read that right? Am I confused or is UK FB not a 50-year-old dumpster fire that still draws 40k fans/week? And those fans can’t voice displeasure w/o being labeled as a UL fans?

Dooood. Seek shelter. It’s about to rain on you, Corey.

10. mr. white guy
    9:28 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

I always root for UK, even in football. A fan is always a fan. Do they currently suck in football? Yes. Still a fan. Anyone that roots for UK basketball but roots for UofL football is not truly a fan. The same could go for a UofL fan that roots for UofL football but UK basketball.

11. stan
    9:29 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

So, if I am reading this right(and someone correct me if i am wrong), what Corey and #5 are saying is “Put on the blinders,if you don’t like what you see,you are not a true fan”. If that is what is meant by this post and #5’s response, I CALL BULLSHIT!! If that is the case,why did we not keep BCG? If you didn’t support him, you are not a fan. I think myself,and every other BIG BLUE FAN, have aright to take issue with a coach who has proven he can not win. He didn’t take over a dead program,but he has sure put it on life support in a short time. You have aright to your opinion #5,as do you Corey, but there are thousands that disagree,look at ticket sales. I have bled blue for 50 years and will till I die, but won’t support a coach that has players joking,laughing and playing on the sidelines while you are getting beat. Don’t take my word for it,go back and watch the game,about the 3 minute mark. I was at Roosters watching the game and the place erupted in boos when it showed the players clowning around. On top of that,Joker showed NO emotion in his post game comments. If the head coach doesn’t care,or at least show it,how can he expect the fans to. I guess we are bad fans #2 because I feel just like you.

12. hmm
    9:30 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

the fact that this question is even being asked makes me sick. you dont get to pick and choose what sports you root for. you are a UK fan, and if you can’t be a proud football fan because we traditionally lose, then you never were a true fan at all and you don’t deserve to root for basketball. you don’t get it both ways. thats just stupid if you think you can.

13. hmm
    9:32 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

#11- its not about the coach, its about the team and the university. Let the AD do what he does with firing and hiring, but through thick and thin you go out and you cheer for the 18-22 year old kids that are playing for you and the rest of BBN

14. carnifex
    9:33 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

@ Bob Sugar

You’re more generous than I. I thought Barney should be canned years ago.(canned as in put in jail for stealing money from the university. That sweetheart deal he signed with Lee Todd is an abortion. Lee Todd should join him BTW)

Nope. Never okay to pull for any UL team. Even if they play Duke, UCLA, or UNC. I’d pray for an earthquake if UL played IU. But this is all moot.

I’m just here to rub the sunshine pumpers noses in the mess they made.(and I’ll be here for a long time). As far as UK football, I really don’t care anymore. If they show that they’re willing to spend some money on the program, to really invest in being a better team, then I’ll care. ‘Til they do, it’s “Roll Tide” for me. Geez, imagine a team from the SEC caring about football.

So Barney can go flock himself(I mean it, he can spray flocking all over his naked body) and climb down the chimney going “Ho Ho Ho”, and I’ll fill his ass full of buckshot for mistaking him for Clint Hurtt.

15. DO WHAT?!?!?!
    9:33 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

This is absurd. It has been only a couple of seasons for them to be better. I could not imagine trying to root for Louisville at any point in time. I would probably cheer for Duke before Louisville because I do not want to hear it about them winning. THESE PEOPLE NEED THEIR HEADS CHECKED!! This may be the most ridiculous stuff that has been on this website. If you go for Football then go for basketball too. If you are the one claiming this you are not a Kentucky fan!

16. DO WHAT?!?!?!
    9:38 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

#13- you are right…its not about the coach. I have been a Bengals fan and a Reds fan also…so I have had some bad falls and I still only like…UK, Reds, Bengals. I don’t jump ship cause I don’t like the Coach. I get pissed and complain but NEVER CHANGE ALLEGIANCE!!

17. Gmony
    9:41 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

Never, rooting for Loserville in anything signals lack of true loyalty. How could a guy be a card football fan due to the perception they are a better football program. First thing is the modern series is 11 – 8. That is hardly one sided, the next is if you are a UK only basketball fan, not a football fan. That is totally the top of the mountain of lack of loyalty. No different than saying I root for America in women’s soccer but Russia in hokey. Just a bunch of bs.

18. carnifex
    9:42 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

@15

Better? Better!?! Their best season in recent years did they break .500 in the conference? Joker was ginen the job to maintain what Rich Brooks had wrought. We weren’t great by any stretch of the imagination. A plethora of bowls, and OOC games made Brooks. He was getting by on winning 2-3 conference games. And Joker can’t even maintain that low bar.

Yeah mediocrity!!! We barely don’t suck!! Although the way Joker coaches, we’d have to improve 300% to achieve suckage.

19. JayCee
    9:42 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

Corey, what you need to keep in mind is that there are a lot of us UK fans that were already frustrated with UK FB’s ineptitude long before you were even born, man. Just b/c we’ve had a belly-full of bad football and want something to change doesn’t make us UL fans. That entire premise is insulting and shallow.

It’s all about perspective, I guess.

20. Neil
    9:46 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

Really????? It is stupid that this is even posted. Anyone who would do this is NOT a UK fan at all. You can not cheer for ANY other team at any sport and consider yourself a real fan.

21. 3 fan
    9:46 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

UK football has been bad for so long that if you are a fan of college football you have NO OPTION but to follow other teams. If UK is on I will watch, but if not give me Boise State or Oregon because they are FUN TO WATCH or Florida State cause I’ve watched them for years. And I didn’t watch the second half of the UL game. Call me a bad fan.

In college bball, its UK or very little of anything else. I may flip through other games, say UNC-Duke just to see if both teams can lose, but I don’t set my watch for a certain game.

22. Neil
    9:48 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

Matt Jones, please fire Cory for this absurd post. This is the worst post in KSR history.

23. Bob Sugar
    9:48 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

14. Trust me I’m right there with you: Mess with uk basketball and make as big of a mistake as gillispie was for everybody and you have to go.. And the sweetheart deal was corrupt and as underhanded as it gets.. But I was trying to appease the “comment police” on this sad excuse for a fan site that constantly whine about how Mitch hired cal and stuck with brooks and all that nonsense. I’ll definitely be more true to my feelings next post.

24. KRL
    9:50 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

Kentucky fan here…ALL YEAR LONG!!!

25. Micah
    9:52 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

This article name made me nauseous, I hope it wasn’t a serious question.

26. UKBlue
    9:54 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

When it comes to football UK always makes the wrong decisions: whether it be hiring the wrong coaches to not changing the defense against Louisville, UK always makes the wrong decisions. UK hasn’t had a consistent football coach since Bear, and that was a long time ago. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, not us, UK keeps doubling & tripling down on bad idea.

UK football is so broken; the fans have for the most part lost all faith, and Joker is & has been beyond his ability to fix it. If Joker loves the program so much, he would realize & except the fact that he isn’t the man for the job & do himself, his family, the fans & the program a favor & just quit.

27. CatGrad7072
    9:56 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

Touchdown #19 !!! Well said.

BTW Corey: I thought you were going to get hammered harder than you have been (so far at least) for this post.

28. WildBill
    10:21 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

If you cheer for UK basketball but then cheer for any other team in football you are in the wrong.

29. Smyrna_Cat
    10:25 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

I feel a little dumber for having read this blog.

30. Steve
    10:36 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

What I got from this post is that it is absolutely unfounded to support a rival team in another sport. Why switch sides in the war just because the battle moved to a different field? How anyone can be a UK fan in the Spring and a UL fan during Autumn is beyond my comprehension.

It makes more sense for someone who is a UK Basketball fan to pull for Ohio State than it does for a UK fan to pull for Louisville in anything at all.

31. DerbyDemon
    10:42 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

HELL to the NO…

32. Al B. Frank
    11:00 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

I think a lot of those making comments here are not reading the article. Corey says that it is not OK to cheer for UL football and UK basketball. He never said that a fan of the team can’t have his or her frustrations. We all are disappointed in the lack of success by the team, but we’re still fans. That’s what makes a fan, sticking with the team through thick and (mostly) thin. The article said that people should not root for another team just because they are more likely to win. I wholeheartedly agree with Corey’s logic here. It never says nor even implies, “put on the blinders, if you don’t like what you see, you are not a true fan…” No blinders here. I don’t always like what I see, but I will continue to follow the Cats and hope for the best.

33. Derek
    11:11 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

I love college football and still want the Cats to win. They are my first born. However I last year I felt I need another child so I could enjoy college football so I adopted them as my college football team. This was not just jumping on the wagon becasue I used to live in Tennessee and my best freind was a Bama fan and we both hated UT. So when Bama came to Vandy(football) I would root for Bama and when UK played at Vandy(basketball) we would go to the game and he would root for UK.
    Being a UK football fan is like having a little girl. You love her and you know she can’t play football but you can’t have anymore kids so you adopt a boy(Bama)!

34. Jake
    11:27 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

I just graduated last spring, and in my 4 years I NEVER missed a home UK game. I was there to see us end the streaks against Tennessee and Steve Spurrier/South Carolina. Ive also been there to see us lose homecoming, lose to Florida, and barely survive Norfolk State. I have routinely told fans that left the game in the first, second, third, and early fourth quarters that they could only claim to be fairweather fans, and I didnt want to hear anything about them being “diehard, bleed blue” fans come spring. Ask Cleveland Browns fans what its like to be a fan. The guys in the god pound will always be fans, no matter what their teams record. Notre Dame fans are always proud to show off their colors, whether their team is playing in a BCS bowl or bowl ineligible. If you’re a KENTUCKY fan, you cheer for all Kentucky sports, all year long. If you’re a Kentucky Basketball fan, you’re a fairweather fan that is just as likely to jump ship if a team finds a hard year later.

35. Kenny Power's Agent
    11:31 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

All I got out of all this was ‘rectum’ and ‘bleed’. Where are you headed with this, Corey?

36. Babyblue
    11:45 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

I’m putting myself in for a lot of dissing, but I’m seeing a former player who is still involved with UofL, and I really do like this uofl team, especially the coaching staff they have on board now. I didn’t root against Kentucky on Sunday, but I wasn’t unhappy that UofL won, either. It’s selfish, but I am probably going to get a really good bowl out of this. Don’t hate, be happy for me. He indulges my UK basketball addiction, and I indulge his UofL football fandom. He wore blue on March 31, and actually kept the shirt on in the Superdome, I can’t ask for a better guy than that!

37. jpizzle
    11:54 am September 4, 2012 Permalink

Those folks are just newer versions of the guys in the ’80s and ’90s who were UT football fans (they were pretty good then)and UK basketball fans. I don’t get it. Pick a school, any school you like and stick with it. That doesn’t seem too much to ask.

38. manbearpig
    12:04 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

What the hell did I just read?

39. lw
    12:27 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

If u want it, support it, if you dont want it move. Simple solution, without the U of K Lexington would be Huntington or Hattiesburg, without U of K the state of Kentucky would be Mississippi. All mentioned are fine places just not great places for business and well being.If you make one dollar in Lexington you better be dammned glad ol U of K is here. Stay positive and support or just mull around in your venomous sewage.

40. kentuckyjoe
    1:43 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

too many Louisville Hate Days have turned me into a Card football fan.

41. hm
    2:19 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

36. you are no true UK fan. no dissing here, just stating facts. you weren’t unhappy louisville won, you like the coaches and the players, you are the exact type of fan this post was talking about. you can’t have your cake and eat it too, and use the excuse of a boyfriend. it doesn’t work that way. pick one or pick the other. the fans who straddle the fence are the WORST type of fans in any sport.

42. Wildcat_in_Iowa
    2:42 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

If we lose every freakin game in football and basketball I still support my school and my home state. The thought of people jumpin ship just cause we are not doing well is sad. I agree football has been rough but just remember when/if we win it’s that much sweeter!!

43. Scalf
    2:51 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

When someone is a UK basketball fan and a fball fan of another team, I think they lack character and integrity. It feels like the easy way out, or the road MOST traveled even though I’d say most don’t do it. On top of that, I feel like they are probably insecure people…like they can’t attach them self to a struggling program for fear of their own reputation. Everybody loves a winner, but not a flake who jumps ship. There are exceptions like attending a different college, but largely few exceptions.

And I haven’t even addressed UL. People are so knee jerk it amazes me. We are 1 year removed from owning a 4 game win streak over UL. People act like they are some great program or are going to be a great program. UL has been a better program over the last 12 years or so no question, but some of the reason they have been better is bc their conference is not that good, especially now!! UL will never be a consistent top 25 team. It will never be able to keep a good enough coach to morph themself into a top 25 program. So if someone wanted to cheer for another football team why not pick someone who is actually good that isn’t our most bitter rival??? Basically this is the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard and have no clue why this post was even made…except that it is KSR who even though often times is very funny, takes way to many shots at our fball program. Sometimes it makes me sick!!

44. carnifex
    3:40 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

To those sayin’ we’re fair weather fans…I would bet that most of the ones sayin’ they pull for other teams are like me. I’ve been a UK football fan for fortyfive years. Do you comprehend how long that is? It’s nearly a half of a century. And we old guys have seen UK do this time and time again. Start to get even a little respectable, and then do something so stupid your jaw hits the floor. It’s too bad for UK that they don’t have a monopoly on what we can see on tv like they had with radio for so long. You used to listen to Cawood, or static. Uk football, in the age of cable tv, satelite tv, and internet tv has achieved static status.

45. Mr. Wrestling II
    4:23 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

Corey Nichols again proves that his writing skills are the only thing in the Commonwealth more disappointing than UK’s d-line.

46. Flacatz
    4:50 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

47. Flacatz
    4:50 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

I mean Really, why elaborate?

48. Lfmack2
    5:17 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

LOL: “We’ve been happy to go to postseason games, sure, but I never saw people dancing in the streets over the Music City Bowl.”
    Fail. I live in Nashville, TN and during the MCB this town was full if idiot BBNers dancing in the street. In fact, they were frolicking.

49. Truth
    9:33 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

Jon Scott, the webmaster and UK basketball stats guru lists Kentucky as his favorite basketball program and West Virginia as his favorite football program: h**p://kentucky.rivals.com/rfFan.asp?User=74838

He told me once that he’d never consider doing anything about UK football (not that we have a stellar history in FB (save Bryant/Collier) but dude just rubbed me the wrong way.

50. Truth
    9:37 pm September 4, 2012 Permalink

#43-Scalf: You knocked it out of the park with your post. Well played. I couldn’t have said it better.