Is Boogie in a “Toxic” Environment?

When discussing DeMarcus Cousins and his latest scuffle with Kings management and staff, the easy thing to do is blame the drama on Boogie’s alleged attitude and inability to deal with authority in a direct, mature manner. While there’s something to be said for Boogie needing to grow up a little bit, one NBA writer’s “royal jelly” theory could explain why Cousins is having a hard time succeeding in Sacramento despite his potential to be one of the top centers in the NBA.

Quick science lesson- “royal jelly” is the crunk juice a hive feeds to its baby bees in order to breed them into queens. According to David Thorpe of NBA Today, the “royal jelly” theory argues that in order to be truly successful, a talented player has to have the right combination of environment, coaching staff, and motivation. While there are exceptions (players such as LeBron James and Kevin Durant who will succeed no matter where they are), other players will be less valuable and possibly not even NBA-caliber without the right stuff around them.

In the case of DeMarcus Cousins and the Sacramento Kings, royal jelly may at least partially explain why the two entities are battling more than Renardo Sidney and his bulge. Bleacher Report’s Ethan Sherwood Strauss points out that Cousins seems to have regressed some since college:

In college, under the stewardship of John Calipari, Cousins was an efficient scorer, to the tune of .558 shooting from the field. Obviously, the pros are a tougher game, but it’s been surprising to see that number dip all the way to .409 this season. How does that even happen to a 6’11”, 270-pound center?

It’d be one thing if Cousins rarely rebounded and thus was afforded few easy opportunities at the hoop. This isn’t the case, though. While his defensive rebounding is better than his offensive board work, DeMarcus is still an above-average offensive rebounder. He should be coasting to a better-than 50 percent field-goal mark on the strength of that alone.

We at KSR are unabashedly Team Boogie, and if a swarm of bees’ feeding method can help make sense of his struggle, I’ll consider it. However, for now at least, it appears that Cousins is stuck in his currently malnourished beehive. The Kings are still outwardly claiming that Cousins isn’t going anywhere. Geoff Petri, the Kings GM, told NBA.com’s David Aldrige on Monday morning that “You can put that one to rest…He’s not going anywhere. You can lay that one to rest.”

Is that the truth? A public statement meant to keep Cousins’ market value high? The new year will reveal all. And until then, can someone make DeMarcus a nutritious peanut butter and royal jelly sandwich?

@KristenGeilKSR

Article written by Kristen Geil

33 Comments for Is Boogie in a “Toxic” Environment?

1. Ryan
    8:20 pm January 1, 2013 Permalink

He is a professional athlete. In what profession is self motivation not a key factor towards excellence. As much as the BBN loves Boogie, one can not blindly blame the professional athletes, professional coaches, and professional atmosphere that he is in for his “lacking performance” without factoring in his attitude that has always been apart of his character. just as LBJ and Durrant have done, Boogie needs to harness his own “royal jelly.” Love ya, boogie. On a completely unrelated note: COME TO HOUSTON DCUZ!

2. kentuckyjoe
    8:32 pm January 1, 2013 Permalink

Right now he’s on track for a double double although that is not guaranteed. And, if it happens it won’t be by much. I blame Keith Smart. I don’t think he has what it takes to get the best out of Boogie. I would like to see him in the hands of someone like Tom Thibodeaux or Rick Adelman although not necessarily with those teams. Or best yet; lure the Zen master out of retirement. So, I’m in the ‘royal jelly’ camp.

3. Steven
    8:37 pm January 1, 2013 Permalink

No. Boogie creates a toxic environment.

4. Bottom Line
    8:41 pm January 1, 2013 Permalink

Bookie is a thug and would likely be behind bars if not for basketball.

5. Gooseman
    8:46 pm January 1, 2013 Permalink

Boogie didn’t get along with his first coach so they fired him. Now he doesn’t get along with Keith Smart. There have been numerous incidents. When are you going to lay the blame where it belongs….Boogie. If he played at Louisville we would constantly be calling him a thug. GBB

6. SMH
    8:47 pm January 1, 2013 Permalink

I think the Kings should fire Smart, just like they fired Paul Westphal. And every subsequent coach who can’t get along with the star player. Eventually, they will find a guy that will kowtow to Cousins. Them he’ll find something else to complain about. Toxic, indeed.

7. Mickey
    8:59 pm January 1, 2013 Permalink

Maybe Cuz will do ok some place else. But at the current path he is heading down he could end up like Ron Artest, which nine of us want to see. It is time to grow up and seek counseling.

8. Boogie
    9:00 pm January 1, 2013 Permalink

Haters: I may be immature but I could buy your house in cash if I wanted. Call me!

9. mudcreekmark
    9:03 pm January 1, 2013 Permalink

I wish people would quit using the word “thug” to describe someone they don’t know personally. Is he is out doing or selling drugs? Does he carry guns where ever he goes? Does he go out and get in fights in clubs? Does he throw up gang signs in public? Exactly how is he a thug? Give me your definition of a “thug”.

10. Boogie
    9:03 pm January 1, 2013 Permalink

I will also likely be broke one day, like 80% of retired nba players. I am an idiot.

11. Scott
    9:08 pm January 1, 2013 Permalink

There is blame to go all around, most of it falls on Cousins, but Sacramento is as dysfunctional as any organization in American professional sports.

12. CATfish
    9:10 pm January 1, 2013 Permalink

Who cares about boogie. I’m close to wishing he didn’t play at uk just for the attitude he has

13. Boogie
    9:16 pm January 1, 2013 Permalink

Even if I do go broke I’ll still be better off than you all are now. What’s it like working 9-5 M-F? Never mind, I don’t care. Suckers!

14. meezippi state
    9:16 pm January 1, 2013 Permalink

Boogie is the reason the environment is toxic.

15. UK Freshmen
    9:17 pm January 1, 2013 Permalink

#10. Don’t be so sure. He could also be a felon or wife beater. Or drugs. Don’t forget the drugs.

16. Ky Realist
    9:29 pm January 1, 2013 Permalink

I always thought the kid who couldn’t read or put three words together would be the one with problems. But he is doing well for the Clips. Scuz, on the otherhand, is a year or two away from being fitted for a prison jumpsuit.

17. Help me out here
    9:30 pm January 1, 2013 Permalink

Is Maryland really 12-1? if so why arent they ranked?

18. UK Freshmen
    9:31 pm January 1, 2013 Permalink

Hang in there Boogie!!

19. Doug
    9:43 pm January 1, 2013 Permalink

SSDD. Cousins is a problem child. Why a favorite? Lets talk about Bledsoe Patterson Davis MKG or even prince bogans. Great players who aren’t a$$holes. I’m exhausted with cousins but even more exhausted with sympathy (empathy?) for his antisocial ways.

20. ACD
    9:48 pm January 1, 2013 Permalink

I cannot believe you people are making insinuations about drugs, violence and prison. Demarcus is immature and cannot get along with his coaches and teammates, but I haven’t heard about him doing anything illegal or violent and his problems seem to only exist inside the arena. Until he winds up in some sort of leagal trouble there shouldn’t be this stigma that he is a “thug”.

21. Syrin
    9:54 pm January 1, 2013 Permalink

KST, stop making excuses for Cousins. He’s immature and will be a problem WHERE EVER he goes. He had issues in high school, at UK 9more than once) and now numerous times in the pros. What’s the common denominator? The man child himself.

22. Are You Kidding
    9:56 pm January 1, 2013 Permalink

Hey, I like Boogie too. But let’s be honest… the guy is a grown man, making millions of dollars playing a kid’s sport. Let him walk a day in my shoes. Quit pouting, grow the f*ck up, and realize how good you have it! I’m sick of the hand ringers out there who make every excuse for Cousins. Give me a break already. I love Big Blue, but enough is enough.

23. Meezeppi State
    9:56 pm January 1, 2013 Permalink

I agree that the term thug is a bit excessive. I think pouty baby is more appropriate. What Boogie does isn’t illegal,but it does remind me a lot of how my five year old acts when she doesn’t get her way. I keep expecting him to stomp his feet, cross his arms, and give us the pouty lower lip.

24. Are You Kidding
    10:03 pm January 1, 2013 Permalink

I seriously can’t believe we are even having this conversation. Does Cousins realize where he is? What he does for a living? People would kill to be in his position, and he’s pissing it away. Boggles the mind. Hey Cousins: How’d you like to work at the airline for 10 years making $16 an hour? Or a RN making home visits and wiping arses all day long? Or a stay at home dad, taking care of three kids – one of which is sick all the time. I don’t know what else to say. I would give my two front teeth to have a talent like him, to travel the country, to have a chance to use my money and personality for something worthwhile. He doesn’t have a clue how this world works. He is blind and a child.

25. Uk fan
    10:06 pm January 1, 2013 Permalink

Well if the word “thug” is to harsh for you how about a simpler word like “assh$&e.

26. Perspective
    11:04 pm January 1, 2013 Permalink

Theres a lot of people on here judging a man before they have walked a mile in his shoes. First off, do we not remember that about 2 weeks ago Boogie was using his own money to buy underprivileged kids Christmas presents. Right, sounds like a “thug” and someone who doesn’t understand what has been given to him…. I’m not saying that none of this is Boogie’s fault, because some of it definitely is, but with most things in life, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. He is not 100% the problem. He is also not blameless for his struggles. But, all Ms. Geil (and pretty much every other KSR poster) is saying is that, given another environment, Boogie could very well succeed. I’ve always stuck by this when defending Boogie: He was not a problem at UK. Cal knew how to handle him, earned his respect to this day, and got the most out of him as a player in every aspect of the game. A lot of us have forgotten why we fell in love with Boogie in the first place and need to be reminded. The guy has a big heart. Put him in a place where he can succeed and we all might see it again.

27. Jc#1
    11:26 pm January 1, 2013 Permalink

Why is no one talking about his triple double ( 12pts,10rbds,10a) .For a center to have 10 assists shows how unselfish he is. Boogie could average 20 pts 10 rebounds easy on the right team. Thank you Big Cuz we still love you . Call me !!!

28. 2020
    12:45 am January 2, 2013 Permalink

Talk to some local college studs who struggled in the pros… Jack Givens, Lancaster Gordon, etc… they’ll tell you that you have to be on the right team with the right system and the right coach. Amazing what a crap shoot the NBA draft is. Ask John Wall right now if he’d rather have gone 1st to the Wizards, 3rd to the Nets or 6th to Golden State.

29. howdy doody
    5:10 am January 2, 2013 Permalink

Ok, let’s read other articles on major sites in which KY hillbillies don’t visit and then make a similar article here wher KY hillbillies do visit…. Journalistic Gold with bibbed overhauls and 3 teeth…Pulitzer material.

30. Bob
    12:50 pm January 2, 2013 Permalink

I hope the Bulls trade for him. Not sure how they can get it done, but Cous with Noah and Rose would be awesome. Trade Deng. Get Cousins plus a little extra back.

31. CAUKFAN
    3:17 pm January 2, 2013 Permalink

I doesn’t matter how well Boogie plays, the Kings will still suck. The sooner he gets out of there, the better.

32. Bobbum man
    3:21 pm January 2, 2013 Permalink

You guys suck… Boogie has some issues but like others have said hrs not out there fighting or using/selling drugs he jus has a hard time getting along with some people as I’m sure we all have… Maybe he’s just unhappy there and that’s leading to these issues point is we don’t know, none of u do. Boogie for prez!