Is Basketball Prospectus Low-Balling Anthony Davis

It’s summer time in the sports internet world and that means we’re right in the middle of list season.  Basketball Prospectus is making sure that they get in on the fun with their rankings of the Top 100 College Basketball Players.  Doron Lamb was 43, which many of you disagreed with and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is #29, which probably might not sit well either.  However, it’s Anthony Davis’ ranking that appears to be the most curious.  The place the nation’s top incoming player at #21 overall.  Yes, they think there are 20 better college basketball players than Anthony Davis.

Here is what they based the decision on:

21. Anthony Davis, Kentucky (Fr., PF)

Obviously I don’t wildly disagree with Gary Parrish’s preseason All-American teams: I have seven of his ten players in my own top ten, and Davis carries the lowest ranking of any of the three Parrish players that I omitted. I do think, though, that people are beginning to give too much credit to impact freshmen before they step on campus. Of the top-5 talents from the recruiting classes of 2006 through 2010, college basketball reaped seven All-Americans (Jared Sullinger, DeMarcus Cousins, John Wall, Greg Oden, Kevin Durant, Michael Beasley, and Kevin Love), six all-conference selections (Tyreke Evans, Harrison Barnes, Derrick Rose, Eric Gordon, O.J. Mayo, and Brandan Wright), seven high-major starters (Avery Bradley, Jrue Holiday, Samardo Samuels, Derrick Favors, Kyrie Irving, Spencer Hawes, Ty Lawson), three high-major nonstarters (Byron/B.J. Mullens, Josh Selby, John Henson), and two guys who never played in the NCAA (Brandon Jennings and Enes Kanter). That’s a high bar. More than half of those 25 guys were all-conference. But I see way too much potential in the Derrick Favors route to put Davis much higher than 21. Don’t get me wrong, Davis is a serious talent with tons of upside. I think he’s ready to play and contribute in the SEC right now. Davis was a guard less than two years ago, and he still has legitimate guard skills. He’s a scary defender. It’s just that I’ve seen him on teams with less talent than the 2012 Kentucky Wildcats will have, and on those teams he’s been forgotten on offense for long stretches. If Davis demands the ball and takes a measure of control of this UK team, he’ll have a tough time staying off the All-America list at the end of the year. But there’s a very real chance that he doesn’t, even though he could easily find himself an integral member of an NBA rotation in 18 months. My expectations for Davis are high, it’s just that everyone else’s have gotten really, really high. Of the last five No. 1-ranked entering freshmen, just one became a freshman All-American: Greg Oden.

Kaboom!  20 players better than Anthony Davis.  Start listing them now.  Go!

Article written by Thomas Beisner

26 Comments for Is Basketball Prospectus Low-Balling Anthony Davis

1. Yup in my red tee
    1:12 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

Peyton Siva is all day boyzzzzz

2. Dr. Dick Fitzenbutts
    1:12 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

Based on his comment (the last sentence) they didn’t have John Wall as the #1 player in his class coming out. That tells you everything you need to know about their rankings.

3. Claud Bawls
    1:14 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

I think Cal might be just a little bit smarter that Davis’ HS coach. He’ll get him the ball.

4. hawaiibillT
    1:21 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

got to disagree with the disappearing thought. hes talking about aau not team ball. he’s still better than anyone Tenn got LOL

5. gossie21
    1:24 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

I’m guessing the basketball prospectus people found out that Dieng > Davis.

6. blink 82
    1:25 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

what does it mean???

7. fish
    1:28 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

wall and cousins were both 1st team ap all-americans barely 16 months ago… as freshmen

8. Raazoul
    1:29 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

His entire article makes no sense, he didn’t give any reasons why Davis isn’t even a top 10 player. He said his crappy team didnt give him the ball. It’s clear that a lot of shitty writers throw something UK related to get some attention now a days.

9. .
    1:31 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

“My expectations for Davis are high, it’s just that everyone else’s have gotten really, really high. Of the last five No. 1-ranked entering freshmen, just one became a freshman All-American: Greg Oden.”

This is what you call out-thinking the room. Trying to predict failure where everyone else sees greatness. I’d never bet on any NCAA tourney picks this guy makes.

10. FakeTheTruth
    1:33 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

The entire Indiana roster is better than Davis, Lil Jimmy!

11. Stud Studerson
    1:42 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

Lets burn this dude at the stake! I hate when people share their opinions!

12. Hack?
    1:57 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

This guy doesn’t deserve our time. If Davis went anywhere else he’d be pre-season all American

13. floydfan
    2:07 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

Kaboom, hahaha…

14. RidgeRunner
    2:09 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

That was the longest block of words that contained so many names, commended Davis, decelerated on Davis, and…well…..went on and on ended up saying absolutely nothing to me.

Anyway…..Next post?

20. Detlef Schrempf

16. minton
    2:36 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

Davis kinda looks like an Angry Bird

17. Anthony Davis Has A Posse
    2:39 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

Harrison Barnes… Ummm… Jared Sullinger…Ummm… Did I say Barnes already?… ok… I give up.

18. RidgeRunner
    2:39 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

lol…16 Yeah, I can see that.

19. barn
    2:44 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

where can see the entire list?

20. UKfan1990
    2:57 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

The fact of the matter is freshman should NEVER be pre season all Americans. Many of us seem to overrate these kids coming out of high school. A large percentage of us have never seen any of these kids play other than in all star games where no defense is played. We need to collectively slightly lower our expectations of freshman, knowing that their will be bumps in the road no matter how good they are. Harrison Barnes was a pre season all American last year, and half way through the season, he hadn’t shown it at all. On the other hand, Jeremy Lamb was ranked I think somewhere in the 60s or 70s and was easily one of the top 5 freshman last year. None of us really know what we are talking about when it comes to these freshman. Let’s watch them first, then form an opinion. Not saying I agree or disagree with the writer, just my thoughts.

21. mic the 1
    3:08 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

he still needs to prove he can bang with the big boys. Hasnt played 1 college game and people are acting like he’s the next kevin durant…..we’ll see

22. JEREMY
    4:25 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

Let me guess….dukes and unc’s startn five! And then they have to put Anthony Davis…What a joke!

23. JEREMY
    4:28 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

Hey #21, just like when kyrie irving played a whopping 10 or so games and all the analyst say he is gonna be the next Chris Paul! Hahaha…

24. JMFATZ47
    4:32 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

Barnes was a preseason All American last year. Oh yeah, he went to UNC.

There are not 20 players better than Davis. But does it really matter? Nope

25. Josh
    9:02 pm July 18, 2011 Permalink

Anthony Davis’ teeth are so jacked up, he could bite into a piece of bread, and it would write his name in cursive.

26. J Size
    11:44 am July 19, 2011 Permalink

I agree with #21, until we see him play at the college level I think it’s more than fair to say that there are college guys that are better than him. His footage is nasty though.